Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 298, 299, 300, 301, 302
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:24 pm 

Paulinho Paiakan, Amazon chief and indigenous rainforest protector, dies with coronavirus

Paulinho Paiakan, a Kayapó chief known for his environmental protests in Brazil, has died after being hospitalized for coronavirus, Brazil's Health Ministry has confirmed.

Paiakan, 66, died Wednesday in a hospital in Redenção, in southern Pará, a state where the coronavirus epidemic has spread among indigenous communities and has killed several tribal elders, according to CNN Brasil.

The health ministry said it had followed Paiakan's situation closely after he was diagnosed with coronavirus and then hospitalized for it. He was recently transferred to an intensive care unit in the regional Araguia hospital where he was intubated on June 9.

Paiakan was known for drawing attention to the cost of building the Belo Monte hydroelectric plant on the Amazon's Xingu River in the 1980s.

more here :arrow: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/americas/paulinho-paiakan-dies-brazil-scli-intl/index.html

Post subject: Re: vera lynn just ded
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:34 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Vera Lynn, British singer.
She was 103...
Mij wrote:
Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
Plook wrote:
Yep

and anyone who has seen stanley kubrick's dr. strangelove movie has heard vera lynn's (probably) biggest hit; "we'll meet again"...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:28 pm 

Absolutely.....

Being a member of the British empire Vera Lynn was big in NZ
as a child of three I remember my folks playing Vera Lynn lp's.....
WW2 was still fresh in their minds.....

RIP Vera

a name I can't think of without Roger Waters plaintive “Vera, Vera, What Has Become of You?”
echoing through the chambers of my mind.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:41 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
a name I can't think of without Roger Waters plaintive “Vera, Vera, What Has Become of You?”

Like I did to start this discussion. . .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:02 am 

Sir Ian Holm aged 88yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:53 am 

He went to the white shores and beyond... RIP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:55 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Absolutely.....

Being a member of the British empire Vera Lynn was big in NZ
as a child of three I remember my folks playing Vera Lynn lp's.....
WW2 was still fresh in their minds.....

RIP Vera

My dad was in WWII and was a big band guy my mom kept all sorts of albums around and they had a couple Vera Lynn recordings they would play regularly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:36 pm 

'Farewell, uncle': Lord of the Rings' Bilbo Baggins,
British actor Ian Holm, dies

07:55, June 20th, 2020.

Supplied
A generation of moviegoers knew Holm as Bilbo Baggins in "The Lord of the Rings'' and "The Hobbit" trilogies.

British actor Sir Ian Holm, whose long career included the role of Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings, has died. He was 88.

Holm died peacefully on Friday morning (London time) in a hospital, surrounded by his family and carer, his agent Alex Irwin said in a statement.

His illness was Parkinson's-related.

"His sparkling wit always accompanied a mischievous twinkle in his eye,'' Irwin said.

"Charming, kind and ferociously talented, we will miss him hugely.''

Co-star Elijah Wood, who played Frodo in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, remembered Holm as a "brilliant and vibrant" man.

"So sad to hear that the singular, brilliant and vibrant, Sir Ian Holm has passed. Farewell, uncle," he tweeted.

Filmmaker Edgar Wright also paid tribute to Holm's skill.

So sad to hear that the singular, brilliant and vibrant, Sir Ian Holm has passed. Farewell, uncle. pic.twitter.com/q9RBKT3hBC
— Elijah Wood (@elijahwood) June 19, 2020
"A genius actor who brought considerable presence to parts funny, heartbreaking [and] terrifying," Wright tweeted.

Holm appeared in scores of films, big and small, from costume dramas to fantasy epics.

A generation of moviegoers knows him as Bilbo Baggins in "The Lord of the Rings'' and "The Hobbit" trilogies.

He won a British Academy Film Award and gained a supporting-actor Oscar nomination for portraying pioneering athletics coach Sam Mussabini in the hit 1982 film "Chariots of Fire".

Stuff
Sir Ian Holm with former prime minister Helen Clark and actor Elijah Wood.

His other film roles included Father Cornelius in "The Fifth Element", android Ash in "Alien", a smooth-talking lawyer in "The Sweet Hereafter", Napoleon Bonaparte in "Time Bandits", writer Lewis Carroll in ''Dreamchild" and a royal physician in "The Madness of King George".

He was also a charismatic theatre actor who won a Tony Award for best featured actor as Lenny in Harold Pinter's play "The Homecoming" in 1967.

Holm was a longtime member of the Royal Shakespeare Company, though a bout of debilitating stage fright that struck during a production of "The Iceman Cometh'' in 1976 kept him off the stage for many years.

RIP Ian Holm, a genius actor who brought considerable presence to parts funny, heartbreaking & terrifying. Thanks for Bilbo, Napoleon (twice), Sweet Hereafter, Big Night, Brazil and, of course the iconic Ash. "I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies." pic.twitter.com/tO9tcydVUK
— edgarwright (@edgarwright) June 19, 2020
"I think it happens quite often to actors," Holm told the Associated Press in 1998.

"They lose their nerve. They may think it's a crazy way to make a living, or whatever. I was fortunately gainfully employed in the other media. I could have frozen in front of a camera, and I would have had to become a chimney sweep or something.''

He returned to live performance and won a 1998 Laurence Olivier Award for best actor for his performance in the title role of "King Lear'' at the National Theatre.

Holm was knighted in 1998 for his services to drama.

AP
Sir Ian Holm at the premiere of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" in London.

Mia Farrow said he was "among the giants of the theatre.''

"We met while working at the RSC where, mid-performance of Iceman Cometh, terror seized him and he left the stage - for 14 years," she tweeted. "He worked in films and TV - unfailingly brilliant.''

Royal Shakespeare Company artistic director Gregory Doran called Holm "one of the RSC greats''.

"Ian was entirely original. Entirely a one-off," Doran said.

"He had a simmering cool, a compressed volcanic sense of ferocity, of danger, a pressure cooker actor, a rare and magnificent talent. There's a great spirit gone.''

Holm was married four times and had five children.

AP

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/300038830 ... -holm-dies

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:49 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
and anyone who has seen stanley kubrick's dr. strangelove movie has heard vera lynn's (probably) biggest hit; "we'll meet again"...

And if you click on the picture I posted of her, it'll open up a Youtube video of her performing that very song...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:21 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
And if you click on the picture I posted of her, it'll open up a Youtube video of her performing that very song...
totally missed that. thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:46 pm 

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Kiwi musician Aaron Tokona, of Weta and Fly My Pretties fame,
has died

21:36, June 20th, 2020.

Stuff
Aaron Tokona of Weta performing in 2008.

Acclaimed New Zealand musician Aaron Tokona, of such influential bands as Weta and Fly My Pretties, has died.

Tributes to Tokona, who later also performed as part of AHoriBuzz, were being shared on Saturday night.

Music industry executive Morgan Donoghue on Twitter said: "Terribly sad news my dear friend from school and one of the most talented musicians I know Aaron Tokona died of a heart attack today.

"Last time I saw him was at my 40th where he played with Dave Dobbyn, Hollie Smith, Che Fu.

"Rest In Peace and music my bro."

Clarke Gayford, partner of Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, wrote on Saturday night:

"Processing the terrible news that the wild, crazy, fruity, explosion of a frontman with a bottomless pit of talent Aaron Tokana has died suddenly.

"The singalongs in my backyard with Aaron playing guitar for hours on end a precious memory.

RIP e hoa."

Weta, a four-piece rock band formed in Wellington, had a platinum album with Geographica, which featured the hit Calling On. Tokona was lead vocalist and guitarist.

In the 1990s and early 2000s Weta supported international acts like the Foo Fighters, Soundgarden and Everclear.

Tokona's career also featured stints in Fly My Pretties and Cairo Knife Fight.

In a 2000 interview with The Press, perhaps at the peak of Weta's popularity, Tokona spoke of how thankful he was for his career at that stage.

"We've been very fortunate, very lucky, we've got amazing managers and the support of a big record company (Warner Australia), and it's just, like, the attitude is that we're just gonna have a really good time and just cruise with it, because tomorrow you never know."

The band relocated to Melbourne, but broke up in 2001, after more than two years of touring.

Tokona shared a flat in the city with Shihad's Jon Toogood and Tom Larkin, which he said in 2000 was good fun and good creatively.

"We've got two studios in the house so it's a really creative environment, and those guys are like family, we've been friends for years."

He added: "The trends come and go but guitars will always be here to the end. They've been here since the beginning and they'll be here to the end."

"It's a hard life, isn't it?" he says, "just awful," he laughed.

"Na, mate, it's beautiful, I have no complaints at all."

Stuff
Aaron Tokona, leader of A Hori Buzz practising in their Lyttelton Studio, in 2010.

Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... e-has-died

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:34 am 

Carl Reiner, Comedy Legend and ‘Dick Van Dyke Show’ Creator, Dies at 98

Carl Reiner, the writer, producer, director and actor who was part of Sid Caesar’s legendary team and went on to create “The Dick Van Dyke Show” and direct several hit films, has died. He was 98.

He died of natural causes on Monday night at his home in Beverly Hills, his assistant Judy Nagy confirmed to Variety.

Reiner, the father of filmmaker and activist Rob Reiner, was the winner of nine Emmy awards, including five for “The Dick Van Dyke Show.” His most popular films as a director included “Oh God,” starring George Burns, in 1977; “The Jerk,” with Steve Martin, in 1979; and “All of Me,” with Martin and Lily Tomlin, in 1984.

more here :arrow: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/carl-reiner-dead-died-dick-van-dyke-1234694208/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 am 

Great guy so sad Mel Brooks has lost his best buddy... :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 pm 

Milton Glaser, Designer of Iconic 'I Love NY' Logo, Dies on His 91st Birthday

Milton Glaser, the man behind the iconic "I ♥ NY" logo" and a groundbreaking graphic designer, died Friday on his 91st birthday.

The designer died in Manhattan after suffering a stroke and renal failure, his wife Shirley, told The New York Times.

One of his most notable works was his 1966 psychedelic illustration of Bob Dylan for his Greatest Hits album, which was included as an insert in the album and went on to become a fan favorite. "It took on a life of its own, showing up in films, magazines, whatever," Glaser said of the poster, NBC News cited from a 2001 New York Times interview.

Arguably his most famous work was his iconic "I ♥ NY" logo, which he created as part of a 1977 tourism campaign for New York State, the Times reported.

more here :arrow: https://people.com/human-interest/milton-glaser-designer-of-iconic-i-love-ny-logo-dead-at-91/

Milt Priggee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:18 pm 

Steve Greenberg

Bob Englehart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:14 pm 

Hugh Downs, Perennial Small-Screen Fixture, Is Dead at 99

A longtime host of both “Today” and “20/20,” for many years he held the Guinness-certified record for most total hours on commercial network television.

Hugh Downs, whose honeyed delivery and low-key but erudite manner helped make him a familiar face and voice on television for half a century, and whose career included long stints as host of both “Today” on NBC and “20/20” on ABC, died on Wednesday at his home in Scottsdale, Ariz. He was 99.

his story here :arrow: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/02/arts/television/hugh-downs-dead.html

I grew up on black and white quiz shows. "Concentration" was one of my favorites. 8)

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:38 pm 

on August 8, 2017 Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Country Music Legend Glen Campbell Dies at 81

on November 15, 2018 Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Roy Clark, 'Hee Haw' host, dies at 85

Glen Campbell and Roy Clark GUITAR SHRED :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOtgTiDdoXM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:46 pm 

^^^^^ nice! ^^^^^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 298, 299, 300, 301, 302