Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hot Rats US 2020
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:52 pm 

KUIII wrote:
^^I like the way DZ hits a lot of different cities and smaller towns and venues. A lot of acts tend to hit the same spots every time out. They must really like Oregon. They hit Grants Pass the last time they were through this way too. Not usually a hot spot for concerts I would think. They’ve even played my town (Chico, CA) a couple times. I imagine this is intentional on Dweezil’s part, not only to bring the music to a lot of places but to experience different parts of the country.

I would like to think Dweezil is coming back to Grants Pass because of Sir William..... I'm about 20 minutes from the Rogue Theater !
With restaurant names like The Horney Goat and the Laughing Clam it does give a lot of local material for the show.
This is from last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59G5XuD9smo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:40 am 

Little_Sally wrote:
KUIII wrote:
^^I like the way DZ hits a lot of different cities and smaller towns and venues. A lot of acts tend to hit the same spots every time out. They must really like Oregon. They hit Grants Pass the last time they were through this way too. Not usually a hot spot for concerts I would think. They’ve even played my town (Chico, CA) a couple times. I imagine this is intentional on Dweezil’s part, not only to bring the music to a lot of places but to experience different parts of the country.

I would like to think Dweezil is coming back to Grants Pass because of Sir William..... I'm about 20 minutes from the Rogue Theater !
With restaurant names like The Horney Goat and the Laughing Clam it does give a lot of local material for the show.
This is from last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59G5XuD9smo

Ah, yes! I forgot about the Sir William factor. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:03 pm 

Ordered my GA ticket for Pasadena :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:36 am 

SF show is 2/13 is 5 weeks away... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:29 am 

only a short 36ish days away..... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:40 am 

30 days until Portland!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:20 am 

10 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:23 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
10 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the count down has begun 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:53 pm 

10 days til Pasadena!

Not many takers for the tables where you have to buy dinner. GA is off to both sides. 'The Rose' is not as cool as 'The Fonda'(where DZ usually plays), but I'll deal with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:05 pm 

9 days and counting... :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:24 am 

3 Days for me!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Gonna make a nice weekend of it! Got a hotel just around the corner from the venue and taking the train to Portland so we can hoof it around town!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:29 pm 

awesome, that's like almost tomorrow..... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:53 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
awesome, that's like almost tomorrow..... 8)

It is!!! Be forewarned I may have a Plook-style post happening after the festivities. Jellyfish & Honey Badgers not included.... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 am 

Interview With Dweezil Zappa
https://www.echo.net.au/2020/02/interview-dweezil-zappa/
Byron Echo, Interviews, All Entertainment | February 6, 2020 | by The Echo

Rats – revisited
Bluesfest | 9–13 April

I often wonder what it’s like growing up with famous parents. Not just famous – but wildly creative people – who have been an integral part of creating culture. Finding your own space must be something of a challenge, and I guess, a rite of passage. As it no doubt has been for Dweezil Zappa – son of the infamous composer and performer, Frank Zappa.

Fifty years ago, pretty well just before Dweezil was born, his dad dedicated his album Hot Rats to him. So this year, Dweezil has decided to do a 50th year celebration.

‘It kind of all made perfect sense’ said Dweezil. ‘A lot of times people sort of make requests and say, “Oh, you should play this song, you should do this album,” but Hot Rats is one that we’ve played a few of the songs from over the years, but we’ve never played all of them, all in sequence. And it just seemed to make the most sense that, on such an auspicious occasion of it being 50 years old, and still so ahead of its time, why not highlight it?

‘It’s one of the records that always tops the list of fan favourites, even though it has only one vocal song on it. Typically, people respond more to vocal oriented music than straight-up instrumental, but there’s something about the sound quality of the album, and the material on it, that it kind of… if you relate it to a movie soundtrack, there’s a lot of feelings of tension and release that happen with it, and you can tell the moments that are in free-form improvisation, and you can tell the moments that have total structure, and it’s that balance between the two that I think really appealed to people when it came out. There wasn’t really a lot of anything like that at that time. Especially with the amount of fuzz-tone guitar and fuzz-tone violin and stuff like that, there was a lot of new and different stuff happening on the record.’

So how does the son of a crazy genius of a man, who died at just 52 (that’s around the same age Dweezil is now), play an album that seems un-performable, and quite simply, unfathomable?

‘Well, the thing about it is, there is enough stuff on the record that has structure to it, and then there’s enough structure to what the improvisational sections are supposed to be, in terms of straight form, but the ability to then have your own voice and improvise on top of it, and have it be in context to the music – that’s what I always take into consideration when I’m playing my dad’s music.

‘So for example, the song Son Of Mr Green Genes, that has a six or seven minute guitar solo on it, but what he played is so pivotal and so specific in the song that I decided to learn that solo, note for note, and I just play it as he played it, or as close as I can make it sound to what he played.

And so, playing the notes is one thing, but then also recreating the texture of the guitar sound itself, that’s another challenge that I always take on. And so, I feel like with that song in particular, it’s pretty amazing that we are able to recreate all of the textures that are going on in that recording, with just six people.’

This is clearly going to be one of the concerts not to miss at Bluesfest.

‘There’s a lot of stuff happening on many keyboards where layered sounds are happening, different kinds of organs, or sometimes there’s percussion and other things that are happening at various times. And so there’s three people that are playing different keyboard things at times and then… you’ll see, there’s people picking up different instruments throughout the whole thing.’

Hot Rats is part of the Zappa legacy, and only his son, his flesh and blood – the man to whom the album was dedicated – could extend this musical conversation in a way that is not simply replicating, but also re-inventing the Rats experience.

‘What I like to do in the improvisational sections is play certain things that are either specific phrases that began, or are in the middle, or end, of something on the record, but then I fill in the spaces with my own ideas. But I am using sounds that are so specific and evocative of the record, that I’m able to play in a way that feels it’s all in context to the music. Because I don’t want to take a left turn and suddenly be like, “Oh, this has nothing to do with the record,” – so that’s always one of the big challenges working with my dad’s music.’

Tix and program info from [url]bluesfest.com.au[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:02 am 

Dweezil Zappa serves 'Hot Rats' at Tower Theatre
Frank's son celebrates album's 50th anniversary in Bend
https://www.bendbulletin.com/lifestyle/dweezil-zappa-serves-hot-rats-at-tower-theatre/article_f8b34022-42ea-11ea-8094-4b71f5de0e1e.html

By BRIAN McELHINEY The Bulletin 2 hrs ago

Dweezil Zappa is still surprised by his father’s music.

That’s no small feat, considering he has made Frank Zappa his main focus since forming Zappa Plays Zappa in 2006. Dweezil’s group has survived multiple lineup changes and a nasty inter-family battle over Frank’s estate in the mid-2010s, during which time he dropped the Zappa Plays Zappa name.

He estimates he and the group have learned more than 500 of Frank’s songs — which is just scratching the surface when you’re talking about a man who in his lifetime released more than 60 albums spanning psychedelic rock, blues, pop, improvisational jazz, classical and more.

“I always tell people that this is the music from the future,” Dweezil said recently from home in Los Angeles, where he was prepping for the next leg of his Hot Rats Live tour. The tour, which will feature the titular 1969 album performed in its entirety alongside a second set of Frank’s songs, stops at The Tower Theatre on Friday.

“This is music that you will always find surprises in — the different textures, the different elements that put it all together,” he continued. “And having learned so much of it over the last 15 years, I’m constantly amazed that there — I’ve never detected a template or a pattern where he’s taken something and he’s said, ‘Oh, OK, I’m gonna rehash this idea.’ He really starts with a blank canvas with everything and makes a completely new thing.”

“Hot Rats,” made up of five instrumentals and one vocal track, “Willie the Pimp,” sung by Captain Beefheart, is one of the best examples of Frank’s adventurousness. Released in 1969, about one month after Dweezil was born, the album was Frank’s first after dissolving the original Mothers of Invention, whose releases such as “Freak Out!” and “We’re Only in it for the Money” became cornerstones of the ’60s counterculture and psychedelic movements.

“Hot Rats,” which was dedicated to Dweezil, found Frank stepping out of his guitar comfort zone and into jazz, classical and improvisational composition. That’s one of the reasons the album has become a fan favorite, Dweezil said. The recording techniques Frank pioneered during the sessions have also allowed the album to stand the test of time.

“It’s also if not the first record, one of the very first records to have a stereo drum sound,,” Dweezil said. “It’s crazy that at that time, stereo was just becoming a thing — it’s ubiquitous now, but at that time it would have been like putting on 3D glasses. … He was manipulating tape speed to change the pitch of different instruments to increase their range — like saxophones and woodwinds — so that they could hit notes that they wouldn’t be able to hit otherwise.”

In setting out to recreate the album live, Dweezil wanted to get as close to the recording as possible, going so far as to tour with a “unique gold top Les Paul just like the one (Frank) used to make the album,” he wrote in his online blog. That of course meant learning certain songs note-for-note, but also deciding where to keep improvisational moments.

“As a general rule, my dad’s music when he performed it live, there are things that are meant to be improvised,” Dweezil said. “So even if he was to play some of the songs from ‘Hot Rats,’ he would not try to re-create them at all the way they are on the record.”

“Peaches En Regalia,” one of the elder Zappa’s most popular compositions, is already pretty structured on-record. Dweezil and his band have been playing that song for the last 14 years, going back to the start of Zappa Plays Zappa — the band won a Grammy Award in 2009 for their live recording of the tune. But Dweezil also meticulously learned guitar solos on longer songs such as the almost nine-minute “Son of Mr. Green Genes.”

“That took a lot of time to memorize a seven-minute solo,” he said. “It’s like trying to memorize the phone book. … But then there are other things that remain improvisational. The song ‘Gumbo Variations’ is a fully improvisational song on the record, so we kept that fully improvisational live.”

Two songs, “Little Umbrellas” and the rhythmically complex “It Must Be a Camel,” were never performed live by Frank Zappa. That wasn’t necessarily due to the challenging nature of the songs as much as available instrumentation and the nature of how the songs were composed, Dweezil said.

“I think (‘It Must Be a Camel’ is) one of these in-studio compositions where he had a sketch of a lead melody and then he just decided to add all these colors to it in the studio,” he said. “It’s more of a studio-built idea than a composed idea where he would be sitting and writing at the piano. This one was I think more of an experimental type of thing, so I don’t know that he ever really went and looked back at that. … I think it’s probably the most interesting song on the record because the structure of it is — you listen to it and you think, ‘This is so weird; how did he come up with this and why?’”

Dweezil, who released his debut, Eddie Van Halen-produced single when he was 12, has a number of projects he’d like to accomplish apart from his father’s music, including finishing the long-in-the-works, 75-plus minute opus “What the Hell Was I Thinking?,” a recording that now spans three decades and includes guests ranging from Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC to Van Halen to Queen’s Brian May. He also mentioned wanting to collaborate with St. Vincent and Ty Segall.

But he doesn’t seem to want to slow down with Frank’s music, either.

“When you hear the music played and you see the musicians onstage interacting and having their own musical conversation, that’s what makes it, I think, really interesting,” Dweezil said. “As a kid that’s what I loved. I used to watch the band and be like, ‘How are they making what seems like — this is impossible. How does it seem like they’re having fun while they’re doing this?’ It’s almost like a magic trick, like, ‘How do they remember all this stuff? How do they play these things? That’s one of the things that I think is an appealing thing for people to see in this day and age, because that kind of stuff is really not focused on.”

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:31 am 

Can we get a set list and band make-up from those who attended please... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:54 am 

Yes, please post the lineup, it has been strangely quiet on the DZ front and the fans who attended....I said please.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:51 am 

I've seen plenty of 2019 lists.

There has only been one show so far this year. Seattle show(2) is tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:04 am 

ONE. MORE. DAY!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:06 am 

Thank you and please let us know the band line up and set list and well everything, enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:26 am 

coevad wrote:

I have seen those but they tend to tweak them on different legs of the tour and I really liked what they were playing on the US leg last year and they made substantial alterations when they went to Europe... :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:39 pm 

Plook wrote:
coevad wrote:

I have seen those but they tend to tweak them on different legs of the tour and I really liked what they were playing on the US leg last year and they made substantial alterations when they went to Europe... :idea:

I wonder how much the set list will have morphed by the time they reach Australia in April.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:49 am 

Hey GG, does that mean you’re going?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:56 am 

HOT RATS DAY!!! COUNTDOWN: 0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:19 am 

polydigm wrote:
Hey GG, does that mean you’re going?

I estimate another week of bowing and scraping should just about swing it Poly'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next