Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rolling Stones
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:37 pm 

I hate those money grabing trend mongers from across the pond! In 1983 or so, the pomp British band and Frank Zappa were billed to play the SAME weekend in Dallas. Well, at that time EVERYONE said this would be the last tour for the aging pop Quartet, and me, being of limited funds, had to choose which venue to attend. Well I figured I could go see Frank later and choose to go see what was supposed to be the Rolling Stones last tour. Well we all know what happened, my favorite musician toured no more and the 'Stones made alot more money playing pop. I STILL HATE THEM FOR LYING. Since then, I have ignrored tricky marketing and followed my heart and taste in choosing entertainment. That was a hard lesson many years ago.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:20 pm 

He did say "or so", ya fuckstick! But yeah, dumb choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:57 pm 

Yer right it was 1981. But hey, if it wasn't for those shifty record company pricks telling the whole world it was the last tour for the aging British pop band, I would have seen Frank!!! I was tricked! I fell for it! AND I STILL HATE THE ROLLING STONES!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:52 am 

Perhaps a bit off-topic here, but I'm sitting in on a gig with a Stones coverband in a couple of weeks, on piano and Hammond organ. Any suggestions for Stones tunes that feature lots of piano/keys? Don't want to do the really obvious tunes, but some (slightly) more obscure ones like 'Loving Cup', "Ventilator Blues", "Melody" etc. Any other suggestions?

Thx.

Post subject: Re: Rolling Stones
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:23 pm 

DR._Oldsmobile wrote:
Well we all know what happened, my favorite musician toured no more...

There was two tours after the one you're talking about though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:13 am 

Man, I love the Stones... maybe not on a personal basis (although I have a feeling I'd have a blast hangin' with Keith Richards [as long as we weren't in a coconut tree, eh? :shock: ]). Anyhow, as far as songs to recommend that are obscure: Memory Motel off of Black and Blue or Melody off of that same album (a duet with Billy Preston!) Just a suggestion....

What town are you playing in?

Image Image

Post subject: Rolling Stones
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:34 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:06 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Anyhow, as far as songs to recommend that are obscure: Memory Motel off of Black and Blue or Melody off of that same album (a duet with Billy Preston!) Just a suggestion....

I played yesterday, we did do Melody and Fool To Cry from "Black and Blue". Nice tunes to play keys on and they did go over pretty well with the audience, considering most people only came to hear Brown Sugar, Satisfaction and other Stones 'warhorses'. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:10 am 

Cool...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:51 am 

Studebaker wrote:
I played yesterday, we did do Melody and Fool To Cry from "Black and Blue".

Nice, love those.... I just got the jazz fakebook of the complete Stones recordings up to '71. If you haven't picked up that book yet, it's a PHENOMENAL collection! I only wish there was a Volume 2 so I could get to those later nuggets.....

(Okay, okay, sorry for talking about non-FZ material....) :wink:

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:53 am 

Studebaker wrote:
Perhaps a bit off-topic here, but I'm sitting in on a gig with a Stones coverband in a couple of weeks, on piano and Hammond organ. Any suggestions for Stones tunes that feature lots of piano/keys? Don't want to do the really obvious tunes, but some (slightly) more obscure ones like 'Loving Cup', "Ventilator Blues", "Melody" etc. Any other suggestions?

Thx.

i always dug the piano in "Let It Bleed"....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:05 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:07 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:14 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

The fill in bass player was wearing the Pipco shirt. He's slightly off-camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:44 pm 

It is this reporter's opinion that The Rolling Stones are hugely over-rated.

Often, when I say this, it feels like cursing in Church, but that's seriously how I feel about them.
Mediocrity in it's worst form, is what I say.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:02 am 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:57 am 

The Rolling Stones Share New Single ‘Living In A Ghost Town’

Apr 23, 20209:59 am PDTNate Todd

The Rolling Stones shared a new single, “Living In A Ghost Town.” The legendary rockers began recording the track in Los Angeles and London and finished it in isolation.

The new Mick Jagger/Keith Richards co-write features guitar and backing vocals from Keith and Ronnie Wood as well as lead vocals and harmonica from Mick all over Charlie Watts‘ rock-solid beat. The song also sees contributions from longtime Stones collaborators Darryl Jones (bass) and Matt Clifford (keyboards, french horn, sax, flugelhorn).

The band detailed the timely track with individual statements. Read them below:

Mick- ‘‘So the Stones were in the studio recording some new material before the lockdown and there was one song we thought would resonate through the times that we’re living in right now. We’ve worked on it in isolation. And here it is – It’s called ‘Living in Ghost Town’ – I hope you like it”

Keith- “So, let’s cut a long story short. We cut this track well over a year ago in L.A. for part of a new album, an ongoing thing, and then shit hit the fan Mick and I decided this one really needed to go to work right now and so here you have it, “Living in a Ghost Town”. Stay safe!”

Charlie- “I enjoyed working on this track. I think it captures a mood and I hope people who listen to it will agree.”

Ronnie- “Thanks so much for all your messages these past few weeks, it means so much to us that you enjoy the music. So we have a brand new track for you, we hope you enjoy it. It has a haunting melody, it’s called Living in A Ghost Town.”

Stream “Living In A Ghost Town” and tune in to the video premiere at 2 p.m. ET below:

https://open.spotify.com/track/5RrrQhJKKKMJt3wB5n2N3t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:20 am