Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:47 am 

Definitely going to this one! Hey GG - are you considering the Adelaide venue?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:58 am 

Bought my tickets for the 15th of April. Hey GG, are you going to be there? First beer's on me!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:53 am 

We will definitly need a review and pictures especially if you and the gray one meet... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:33 pm 

I'm oh so keen Poly' and still working the angles, but prior work commitments may make it impossible for me to disappear.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:13 am 

Good luck with sorting it out!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:32 am 

Plook wrote:
We will definitly need a review and pictures especially if you and the gray one meet... :idea:

Hm I don't think we ever published the ones of Poly and me...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:33 am 

BBP wrote:
Plook wrote:

Do share... :o

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:27 pm 

Plook wrote:
BBP wrote:
Plook wrote:

Do share... :o

My BF's on it and he didn't want it to be shared at the Zappa forum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:17 pm 

^^^You can do like the news and cover the face... :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:12 pm 

A riff down Memory Lane: how dead stars live on
Tribute gigs offer an excuse for nostalgia, but they’re also a means of canon-building

Frank Zappa with Gibson Les Paul Goldtop guitar © Jan Persson/Redferns

David Cheal yesterday

For many rock and pop stars who die, death is not the end. It is the beginning of another phase in which their legacy is kept alive, their music celebrated, the flame of their creativity assiduously tended. The manner in which this happens ranges from the sublime to the sentimental to the downright weird.In the 1990s, when I watched Elvis: The Concert, it seemed like one of the more surreal musical experiences of my life: a large ensemble which contained members of Elvis Presley’s old backing band and backing singers performed their parts while Presley himself, or at least a 2D version of him, sang on a vast video screen, his vocal track isolated with then-new technology.This seemed like a kind of quasi-religious experience, at which fans of the great man could commune with his living likeness. (It’s interesting that some Elvis devotees get excited about the fact that Presley once stepped on British soil when the plane taking him to his army service in Germany stopped off in Scotland, and Presley’s feet walked upon Prestwick Airport, an event now marked by a plaque on the floor.) And yet the show was also a reminder that Presley was a cracking singer.At the sublime end of the spectrum, a couple of recent concerts at London’s Royal Festival Hall celebrated the work of dead musicians. The first, A Celebration of Talk Talk and Mark Hollis, pulled together an impressive cast of more than 20 musicians and singers to perform the work of this singular singer and songwriter, who died in February 2019 aged 64. Hollis’s band Talk Talk underwent a remarkable metamorphosis from 1980s synth-pop kids to abstract neo-jazzers, and this concert showcased the full spectrum of their work, from the early bouncy pop of “Talk Talk” to the later, more complex songs such as “Ascension Day” (performed here by Turin Brakes). Some singers on the night, such as Joan As Police Woman, chose to sing the material (“It’s My Life”) in their own distinctive way (in her case, with customary power), while others such as Orlando Weeks of The Macabees (“I Don’t Believe In You”) chose to channel Hollis’s mumbly, drifting vocal delivery more authentically.

Mark Hollis, who died in February 2019 © ITV/Shutterstock

The crowd’s response to all this was warm and appreciative, but the biggest cheers were reserved for the musicians who had actually played with Hollis and Talk Talk, foremost among them keyboard player Simon Brenner and pianist Phil Ramocon. These men represented a link with the past, a strand of musical DNA connecting us with the absent figure at the heart of this absorbing show.A week later, another show featured a musician who can boast of being made from the actual DNA of the man being celebrated: Dweezil Zappa, son of Frank (who died in 1993). Frank Zappa’s jazz-rock fusion masterpiece Hot Rats was dedicated on its release in 1969 to baby Dweezil, just born. Dweezil has been celebrating Frank’s music for many years with his Zappa Plays Zappa concerts; this one focused on Hot Rats, which was played with extraordinary fluency and fidelity by a six-strong multitasking band. While Dweezil recreated his dad’s guitar solos on Hot Rats, note for note — faithful to the point of being reverential — in the second half of the show, featuring Zappa classics such as “Moving to Montana” and “Penis Dimension”, he was able to cut loose and demonstrate his phenomenal soloing and improvisatory skills.

Dweezil Zappa with Gibson Les Paul Goldtop guitar © Algerina Perna/Baltimore Sun/Tribune News Service via Getty Images

So: what are we to make of all this? The Zappa audience in particular was dominated by blokes of a certain age. Was this just a sentimental trip into the past for old geezers, a classic album preserved in aspic? The Talk Talk event, while less concerned with musical accuracy, and certainly younger, was nevertheless shamelessly nostalgic. I was not immune to the sentimental pull of historical fidelity: I found myself lamenting the lack of those squirts of muted trumpet, a Hollis trademark, at his celebration, and, at the Zappa show, the absence of a violin, so electrifyingly played by Jean-Luc Ponty and Sugarcane Harris on Hot Rats. Is all this just a bit nerdy, maybe even sad?
Hot Rats is a piece of work that’s as worthy of repetition as anything in the classical canon
And there is something odd about this whole “tribute” genre. There are hundreds of tribute bands on the live music circuit, many of them playing the music of dead stars, and attempting to achieve musical and sometimes visual authenticity. The Petty Criminals, a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers tribute band (Petty died in 2017), recently purchased a keyboard from the US, at considerable expense, that was once used by the actual Heartbreakers themselves. At the Festival Hall, Dweezil Zappa was using a Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, just like the one played by Frank on Hot Rats (on his website, Dweezil hints that it may be the very same instrument). Here we are almost in the realm of sacred reliquary.Meanwhile there’s big business in nostalgia roadshows featuring “legacy” acts. Were the Hollis and Zappa shows, like these roadshows, shameless nostalgia-fests? By celebrating Mark Hollis’s music, were we, in the words of one of his finest songs, “Living In Another World”? At the risk of seeming pretentious, I’d say there was more going on at the Festival Hall. This music is part of a canon of works that deserve to be played, re-played, curated, appraised and reappraised. Hot Rats in particular is a piece of work that’s as worthy of repetition as anything in the classical canon. Dweezil Zappa, as well as being a sensationally good guitarist, is a faithful custodian of his father’s legacy.The Mark Hollis evening, meanwhile, celebrated the work of a man who probably would have hated the idea of such an event; in his own lifetime he opted out of music altogether, vanishing almost entirely from the public eye in the same way that his music became progressively quieter, the sound of almost nothing. And yet his work still resonates — enduringly beautiful, haunting, impressionistic. Like Zappa’s music, it deserves to live on, not preserved in aspic, but kept alive in the hands of the people who knew him and loved him.

An expanded edition of ‘Hot Rats’ was released in December on UMe

https://www.ft.com/content/ecb0f07a-2d5 ... 756bd8f45e

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:06 am 

Inside Dweezil Zappa's mission impossible: performing his father's Hot Rats album live
By Henry Yates (Guitarist) a day ago
https://www.guitarworld.com/features/inside-dweezil-zappas-mission-impossible-performing-his-fathers-hot-rats-album-live

A half-century after the album’s original release, Zappa embarked on the ultimate labour of love when his Zappa Plays Zappa project planned to tour Hot Rats

There’s a good reason why you’ll never hear a covers band attempt Frank Zappa’s Hot Rats. It’s impossible. It’s unperformable. It’s unfathomable.

Even putting aside the art-rock icon’s leftfield electric guitar virtuosity, the 1969 album is a tapestry of overdubs and tape manipulation, a web of sonic subterfuge and obtuse one-offmanship, with makeshift ‘instruments’ that include a plastic comb and a mechanic’s wrench.

Given that even Zappa himself couldn’t recreate these tracks on the stage – what hope do mere mortals have? But that hasn’t stopped Dweezil Zappa accepting the challenge.

For the last 13 years, the fabled guitarist’s talented son has been the frontman and driving force behind Zappa Plays Zappa: a passion project that seeks to keep his late father’s music alive. Now, in a new chapter that has seen the guitarist slip between the roles of detective, genealogist and gear anorak, Dweezil has dissected every last element of Hot Rats – from signal flow to studio tricks – and he will present the results at seven UK dates in December, starting at London’s Royal Festival Hall.

“We want these shows to be like a time machine,” he says.

What made you want to bring Hot Rats to the stage?

“Well, it’s always been one of my favourites. I have a connection to that record that’s more than just musical, because it was made the year I was born and dedicated to me. To me, it’s one of the records that showcased my dad’s guitar playing in a new way. When you hear Hot Rats, compared to the early Mothers Of Invention stuff, there’s a different feel. It’s got a ton of attitude, y’know, songs like Willie The Pimp and The Gumbo Variations have some ripping guitar.

"But then it’s got compositions like It Must Be A Camel, where you think, ‘How did he come up with this stuff?’ There’s a couple of songs he never played live, too, like Little Umbrellas and It Must Be A Camel. You won’t find live versions of those anywhere; they only exist on Hot Rats.”

What stage was Frank’s career at in 1969?

“He was still in his 20s, moving towards more complicated music and getting musicians that could play this harder stuff – because the Mothers Of Invention guys couldn’t. He dropped the Mothers Of Invention name and he was out on his own. And what you’ll hear when you dive into Hot Rats – particularly on Little Umbrellas and It Must Be A Camel – is that it’s much more the work of a composer, as opposed to a pop songwriter.

"You’re hearing him really go deep into the compositional realm. The textures, the harmonies, the layers of instrumentation, the arranging, the way he manipulated instruments and changed their character: that’s what makes Hot Rats special. You won’t hear that on any other record of his – or any other record, for that matter.”

How did you approach the guitar parts?

“Well, I had to make a decision: how much of this record will I play note-for-note? Certain things were worth playing exactly the same. Like, obviously, the solo in Peaches En Regalia and Son Of Mr Green Genes, because that song is just so idiosyncratic. It’s my dad, doing what he does, and you’re not gonna top it. For others, like Willie The Pimp, I chose to learn a lot of the phrases but fill in the spaces between those guideposts with my own playing so I can also be free in my improvisation.

"But even when I’m playing freely, I’m still filtering what I play through his vocabulary. I know a lot of things that my dad would favour, the things that would be something he’d play. I didn’t want to take a big left-turn and suddenly think, ‘Oh, we’re in a totally different space.’”

Are there any signature techniques on the Hot Rats album?

“Well, one thing you hear him do a lot is mix up different versions of triplets. He’s got these really groovy pentatonic-bluesy runs where he’s squeezing triplets in places that most people wouldn’t think to do. And it’s because he started as a drummer. It’s almost like he’s got little rudiment-type articulations. It’s like sticking exercises or something – that have been attached to notes.”

How did you work out the guitar parts?

“I’d use a transcription software tool, which lets you slow things down but keep the pitch the same. The band is quite adept at reading – and I’m not, I do everything by ear. Then you learn it bit by bit and end up memorising it. The other process is, if there’s a composition that already has a transcription, we’d go through and check it against the recording to make sure they’re correct. There are transcriptions, even in published books, that have a lot of mistakes. So we check, double-check, triple-check.”

What are the challenges of recreating this music?

“One of the biggest challenges is the Hot Rats production. It’s a great-sounding album. People really appreciate it just on an audio level. So we wanted to make it evocative of the actual album and era. That’s almost as much work as learning the notes themselves.

“Sometimes it’s very difficult, if you don’t have access to the actual individual tracks, to decipher exactly what’s going on on this album. Especially with songs like Little Umbrellas and It Must Be A Camel. Because they had dense harmonies, layers of instruments, so many overdubs. And sometimes, for example, my dad would use a tape machine to extend the range of brass and woodwind instruments; he’d record them at a different speed so they’d play back at a higher register, and that’d totally change the timbre of the recording. Or he might have a really high-pitched snare.

"The guitar was actually recorded at normal speed. But on Peaches En Regalia, he recorded bass guitar at a different speed and he was tremolo picking it, so it ends up sounding like a synthesiser – well before most synths were made. If you were to just ignore those textures, it wouldn’t have the same flavour.”

Let’s talk about the guitar sounds on Hot Rats now…

“The real challenge was to recreate the lead guitar tones, to explore what my dad would have been using to make that unique fuzz tone with the clean tone blended in there. He had a kind of Frankenstein Goldtop he was playing at the time that had a Bigsby and a Telecaster pickup jammed in, so he had different out-of-phase options.

“At the time of Hot Rats, there weren’t many fuzz options out there, and he wasn’t yet using any of the Marshall or Orange amps. I think he was using Fender – it sounds like it was a Tweed amp – and he was combining fuzz stuff with the clean sound. So when you listen to Willie The Pimp, for example, there’s a fuzz tone that sounds to me like a Maestro, which has a Uni-Vibe on it that changes speeds, plus a wah-wah – I think he was using Vox at the time. But the wah is only going to the clean direct part, and it seemed like they were manipulating it after the fact, because the speed change of the Uni-Vibe and the wah are happening at the same time, and it would have required two feet to do it.”

Didn’t you inherit Frank’s Goldtop when he died?

“No, it was stolen. But for the Hot Rats tour, I’ll be playing a replica from the Gibson Custom Shop. Gibson made it about eight years ago, based on photographs of the guitar and all the specs I gave them. We made it as era-specific as we could, so it looks beat-up and it has the missing knobs. My dad’s Goldtop had P-90s, with that Tele pickup jammed in right next to the bridge.

”But as much as I love the sound of P-90s, I don’t love the noise that comes with them. So I basically have humbucking P-90s and a Tele pickup, all made by a Canadian guy called Tim McNelly. I can make them singlecoil with one switch, but I can also make them go out of phase in different ways. I have a piezo in there as well, so I can do the acoustic stuff that you hear on Peaches En Regalia. It’s a particularly heavy guitar – I haven’t weighed it, but it feels like at least 13lbs. I’m mostly used to playing an SG, so that Les Paul has really changed the way I play."

How did you recreate that very specific tone from Hot Rats?

“Well, the Fractal Axe-Fx is a great tool for me, particularly for stuff where you have to add a clean sound into a distorted sound. The Axe-Fx is great for that, because you can route different things to different outputs, and if I’m using four speakers in my rig, I can separate out the clean and dirty stuff, and actually blend them back together with volume pedals, and have control over the levels like at a mixing console.

"You can hear on certain parts of Willie The Pimp, for example, that the clean sound is louder than the distorted sound. My dad was just pushing up the fader forthe clean sound, but I can do that with my feet while I’m playing.

“It does take a lot of research to work out what the clean sound on Hot Rats would have been, though. It’s a direct sound, in some cases, that’s compressed, but it gets a bit of clipping from the console and tape machine. I recreate some of those saturation techniques, so it’s not just a pristine clean sound, it’s got a bit of edge.

"With the distortion stuff, I’ll also manipulate how hard the speaker is being run, because in the Fractal you have all this detail of how much saturation you want. I’m also using the Overstayer Master And Servant in my rig, acting like an analogue mastering section that’s adding some punch and saturation to the sound before it goes to the front of house. Even after that, when the front of house guy is mixing it, he’s using a tape machine plug-in to create even more of the layers, finding ways to blend in the old‑school quality of the sound.

“So we’ve gone to great lengths to recreate the signal flow that could have taken place during the recording. We want it to be like a time machine. We don’t want to modernise any of it.”

Will you be taking traditional amps on the road?

“No, I’ll just use the Fractal. Inside that, you’ve got every amp you could ever want. Typically, I’ll use Marshall and Fender [settings], but sometimes I use other boutique amps, like one by a Dutch company called Hook. With the Fractal, you can recreate things in incredible detail and store it in the presets.

“Another thing that’s made a big difference is, there’s a guy in Philadelphia who bought a lot of my dad’s old equipment. He bought the speaker cabs that my dad used in the 70s and these were Marshall cabs that had JBL speakers. A lot of people wouldn’t put those in their cabs because they’re more hi-fi, they have a broader frequency response, and for a certain kind of distortion they can be very bright or brittle – and a little stiff. But the way my dad ran his rigs, he was always looking for clarity in certain frequency ranges.

“Anyway, I was able to do some speaker IRs, y’know, some impulse responses with the actual cabs he used, and get it much more specifically dialled in. They’re built into the signal chain, just added into my speaker collection inside the Fractal.”

Do you think the Zappa Plays Zappa project has worked?

“Well, just the fact it’s existed for this length of time means there’s an appetite. When I set out, I wasn’t thinking, ‘I’ll do this for 20 years.’ But there’s enough music that it could keep going. The thing about my dad’s music is that it was never fully discovered. He had some songs that made it onto the radio and that would give people one singular impression of what he could do.

"But it gave the wrong impression. Things like Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow, Valley Girl, or even Cosmik Debris – some of these songs have a comedic narrative, and after his passing people started to consider him more like a novelty act. But it didn’t reflect the rest of what he really stood for. So my goal was to actually put the spotlight on the things he should have been known for – his compositional skills, his arranging, his guitar playing…”

Do you think working on this project has made you a better guitarist?

“Oh, for sure. I never would have been able to do the things I can currently do on guitar had I not taken a deep dive into learning this music. This stuff requires a lot of effort to learn. It’s very tough…”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:20 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
KUIII wrote:
^^Oh, “boo hoo” Cian’s Dad. :roll:

Though it does shed light on the fact that she was likely "let go" and it probably wasn't her choice to leave.

I liked her performances, and don't want to say anything bad about her, but I heard she was let go for liability reasons, due to an unfortunate incident which resulted in Ryan Brown (the drummer) ending up with a broken left foot.
A crippled drummer can't perform at 100% because he needs one foot for the high-hat and the other for the bass drum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:45 am 

Looks like my Providence "St Pattys Day edition" of the Hot Rats tour Tuesday is canceled :cry: :cry:
Virus related

Providence and Dweezil do not have luck with shows.

Last time Dweezil got canceled, he made up the date. Hopefully he is able to make this one up also. I have already parted with my $$, id prefer a make up show.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:54 am 

NicHoLai wrote:
Looks like my Providence "St Pattys Day edition" of the Hot Rats tour Tuesday is canceled :cry: :cry:
Virus related

Last time Dweezil got canceled, he made up the date. Hopefully he is able to make this one up also. I have already parted with my $$, id prefer a make up show.

If the world survives I am sure DZ will come see you Nic... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:17 am 

Plook wrote:
NicHoLai wrote:
Virus related

Super fortunate here in the north east. Lots of Zappa related performances, alumni and family members paying us visits. Not a complaint by any means.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:42 am 

NicHoLai wrote:
Plook wrote:
NicHoLai wrote:
Virus related

Super fortunate here in the north east. Lots of Zappa related performances, alumni and family members paying us visits. Not a complaint by any means.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:21 pm 

I imagine the mid April Australian leg of the tour will be cancelled
or postponed.....I've yet to cancel my flights 'n' stuff.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:43 am 

hot off the in-box

Hello Gray Ghost,

We have some information to share regarding Dweezil Zappa at The Gov, please see below for a message from the presenter.

As you know, we are heartbroken to advise that Bluesfest 2020 and all the shows around it presented by Bluesfest Touring cannot proceed. As you may no doubt be aware, last night the NSW Health Minister issued a Public Health (COVID-19 Public Events) Order 2020. A copy of this Public Health Order is here. Health Ministers across the nation have done the same.

It is clear from the order that events of over 100 people are now banned.

We therefore have to take all tickets off sale. We are now working with artist representatives to see what the future holds. We are asking everyone to hold their tickets until this process is completed and we have provided further updates.

We are receiving a lot of supportive messages that are truly appreciated in this unprecedented times and we thank everyone for their continuous support. Please note that Bluesfest Touring is deeply concerned about the wellbeing of it’s patrons, artists and staff and everyone affected by this.

We will be in touch as soon as we have received further developments.

Cheers,

Oztix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that's that then, the airline has basically credited the tickets for a twelve Month period. If and When Dweezil retours I fly.....or if the twelve Months are expiring fly elsewhere
.....if the airline survives that is.....
It's the national carrier so should be eligible for a bail out if it all goes tits up.....

You would not believe the amount of effort I had to put into getting certain parties
to release the funds and permit/trust me to travel to Australia.....and come back.....

Plus magically getting the stars to align at work to allow me to slip away for three
or four days on the Tuesday after Easter weekend taking maybe eight or nine days
off in a row in total....."seriously, just who does this old c*** think he is!"

and, all for naught :(

didn't get to meet up with Poly' :(

didn't get to disappear (somewhere near Bathurst) never to be heard of again..... :wink:

Oh well maybe next year.....

I'm not expecting John Mayall to perform on April 9th
or Iron Maiden on May 13th.....

We were charging up country on the U2/Cookie's farewell tour part two, car full of people windows down stunning day when we heard Iron Maiden were coming, then they did a live exclusive concert promo interview with guitarist Steve Harris.....oh we were so excited, whooping and hollering.....It's all quite depressing really, and then there's little Cookie
with her immunity lower than the stock market right now, I fear the wee girl couldn't
survive an exotic virus.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:09 am 

Sorry to hear that Ghostie...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:33 am 

I had to miss the "one" Dweez plays Hot Rats show in my area.....just because I had work the next day.....and just after that this Corona Virus lock-down happened. God I wish I just went anyway and screwed-off on work the next day! Damn!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:20 pm 

^^^^^ Bugger! ^^^^^

I'm hoping that once we're all paroled and the tours resume,
that team Dweezil will add NZ to their list of dates.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:55 am 

Hey GG, so you were coming over. The show gets delayed and I miss out on meeting you on April 15th. Well, at least it’s not cancelled entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:35 pm 

Gidday Poly' yes everything was in place for my trip to Adelaide,
we're going to have to wait on that beer :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:44 pm 

I've been told it's now cancelled, but I haven't seen a refund as yet.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:01 pm 

Damn Poly', I was refunded on April the 20th.....

The airfares are another story, originally Air NZ said a refund was pending,
then the refund turned into a credit that expires in twelve Months..... :P