Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:16 am 

Okay, it's released and enough people have it now, so: Whaddayathink?

I just got done listening to show 1 and really like it. Wild Love especially.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:55 pm 

Oh, and Conehead also.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:06 pm 

All I really care about is the mask.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:07 pm 

KUIII wrote:
All I really care about is the mask.

....Smokin'!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:15 pm 

Mine’s supposed to arrive Monday but I’ve been listening to the cd set for a few days. Sounds good. On the one hand it’s cool to hear a show in its entirety while recognizing the parts in Baby Snakes. On the other hand hearing some of the jokes from the movie in the context of the full audio concert seem like low lights. I’m talking about the “tell me what he’s eating” routine and Roy Estrada’s Mexican Pope improv. Overall, outstanding though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:32 pm 

How do you pronounce Envelopes? :wink:

Debutante Daisy and jimmie d chillin' with FZ . . . 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:10 pm 

I've to confess, I was doubtful. Now I'm delighted. The Torture solos are great, Wild Love and Conehead the same. I like these very shortened versions of Bobby Brown, I have been in you & Jewish Princess. Punky's Whips is powerful in every version. Frank's stories are fun to listen to.

And since I got this Zappa chest thingie I've more success with women :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:25 pm 

^^^^^ :lol: ^^^^^

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:44 am 

I'm loving this set!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:52 am 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:

And since I got this Zappa chest thingie I've more success with women :smoke:

It'd be hard not to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:55 am 

I've had the showz in shuffle w/ a bunch of other stuff for weeks. Yesterday, I decided to only listen to the Halloween stuff. When I d/l'd the mp3s, they all went into one folder but not in show-sequence, rather by title organized by the second set of numerals in the title. I have no idea why it organized that way, but I figgered I'd go with it. So, I listened to 6 Introductions followed by 4 Peaches, a Stink-Foot, then another Peaches, followed by 4 Tortures a Poodle Lecture, then another Torture etc... The set lists aren't exactly the same, but it has been fun to side-by-side cuts hearing differences between versions. I'm having fun noticing the changes in guitar tones, keyboard patches, versions that don't have Tommy Mars clucking like a chicken for his vocals on Peaches, braaaawk, ba-ba ba-ba-ba-ba baaaaa baaaaaa...hahaha :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 am 

I listened to 4 Wild Loves in the last couple days. With each one being about 25 min, we have about 2.5 hours of Wild Love in this set. Once I've gone through everything, I think I might go back through the WLs and block out the sections of the piece. Of course, its a vehicle for much of the band to solo, but I'm hearing similar sections across the takes, so I'm curious. Also, I gotta admit I'm getting a bit confused as to what parts are being played by Peter Wolf. The mix is great, but I'm still trying to figure out who is playing what. It'd be easier if, say, it was Peter Left / Tommy Right, but it's not. Anyway, I've never been a fan of hard-panning keyboards. If anyone can provide clues, please do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:50 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I listened to 4 Wild Loves in the last couple days. With each one being about 25 min, we have about 2.5 hours of Wild Love in this set. Once I've gone through everything, I think I might go back through the WLs and block out the sections of the piece. Of course, its a vehicle for much of the band to solo, but I'm hearing similar sections across the takes, so I'm curious. Also, I gotta admit I'm getting a bit confused as to what parts are being played by Peter Wolf. The mix is great, but I'm still trying to figure out who is playing what. It'd be easier if, say, it was Peter Left / Tommy Right, but it's not. Anyway, I've never been a fan of hard-panning keyboards. If anyone can provide clues, please do.

This might help a little.

Tommy Mars: It all really depended on the instrumentation we had. I always enjoyed working with another keyboard-player. But in my heart, I always wanted the solo in 'Wild Love', that samba solo. But I was always envious of Peter (Wolf) who got that one and I would have 'Pound for a Brown'. Then it turned round on the next tour when Peter had the solo on 'Pound for a Brown' and I got the solo in 'Little House I Used to Live In'. Peter was begging Frank to have the solo in 'Pound for a Brown'. Then it would turn again when Peter wanted the rhapsodic type of solos. He would let me be by myself. I didn't get a regular solo that first part of the tour. It was only like eight bars here or a small area. I was vamping a lot at the time too. So, it all depended on the instrumentation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 am 

Thanx Manx 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 am 

I am hugely impressed with this release. It sounds live like no other Zappa record I've heard. The depth of the soundstage is huge! Even in the most dense passages I can hear the whole band. It is a killer fucking mix. Bozio is definitely emphasized, but his playing is so fucking good that it supports everyone who's playing on top of him. And the mix is so good that the keyboard support and O'Hearn and Mars are articulated centers of the tunes.
Add to that this band...they are on fire (seriously, ON FIRE!) each night, all night.
The Halloween 77 stick is a masterpiece--a true treasure that I am so happy to own.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 pm 

Halloween 77 Box Set Track Error

November 21st 2017

We have discovered that a track on the Halloween 77 Box Set has an error. The faulty track is “Wild Love” from Show 2, 10-28-77. We are happy to provide you with the corrected track.

If you purchased the box through the Zappa.com Store you will have already received an email with a link to your download.

If you purchased the physical box set elsewhere, simply email us at info@zappa.com with a picture of your box number, and we'll send you a link/code to download the replacement track.

Thanks,
Your friends at Zappa Records

"Music Is The Best!" ~FZ