Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zappa Hologram Tour
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:44 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
The band was split into half and squeezed to the sides

I can't help being amused by the way Ed and Robert are stationed really far away from Scott.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:47 am 

Spoiler Alert!!

Camarillo Brillo - https://youtu.be/n_PJVMLVR7w

band sounds great

cartoons!

I think the person recording this was trying to hide from security; or they're drunk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:03 pm 

coevad wrote:
band sounds great

cartoons!

I think the person recording this was trying to hide from security; or they're drunk.

That looks super fun! And yeah, I hear security was actively shutting down anyone they caught holding up a phone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:49 pm 

Here are my thoughts:

First of all, I would encourage everyone to try to see the show. Happy I went, even though overall I thought it was pretty lame.

The band was excellent, and I would rate the show from a musical standpoint as slightly below the average ZPZ show. The primary reason is that the band was very constrained by having a setlist determined by the animation/holograms, and probably would have been much better given the opportunity to perform on their own and showcase their skills.

Holograms must be really, really expensive, as the hologram was less than 25% of the show (approximately), and the majority of that was the hologram of Frank conducting, with his back to the audience (which did not seem to be synced with the music). The holographic guitar performance (Apostrophe)is worth the price of admission, and was fantastic.

During the sneak preview, where you had your choice of seats, no one sat in the first few rows, so I am assuming the hologram looks better from somewhat of a distance. Also, the stage is built up, and the stage/bottom AV screen at the Capitol somewhat obstructed the view. Not sure about other venues.

They have the band wedged into two little areas on either side of large screen with the hologram inset in the middle. The hologram, when it appears, only takes up about 10% of the center, so they should let the band spread out in front of the non hologram part of the screen. It would look a lot less awkward. The non hologram animation/claymation was pretty primitive, and frankly, very annoying.

I would rename the tour "The Dweezil's Revenge Tour" as it allowed Ahmet to completely embarrass himself attempting to sing (and dance) on Guitar and Dead Girls. Not sure what dance he was doing, but it might have been the Soupy Shuffle. Those two numbers were so ridiculously awful that I might be tempted to go again just to witness them a second time.

Here is the setlist (clipped from another report):

Cosmik Debris
Montana
More Trouble Every Day
Village of the Sun
Alien Orifice
Penguin in Bondage
Apostrophe
Zomby Woof
Evil Prince
Why Does It Hurt When I Pee
Peaches en Regalia
Stinkfoot
Farther Oblivion
Dangerous Kitchen
Dinah Moe Humm
My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama (sung by Ahmet Zappa)
Dead Girls of London
 (sung by Ahmet Zappa)
Dirty Love
Cheepnis
Camarillo Brillo

Will add to this when I have more time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:02 pm 

Thanks for the reviews & setlist, guys. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:11 pm 

Came across this mini flick about the tour (interviews with Ahmet, Keneally, Vai, Ågren):

https://youtu.be/Z7kf_svvLTs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:23 pm 

coevad wrote:
Spoiler Alert!!

Camarillo Brillo - https://youtu.be/n_PJVMLVR7w

band sounds great

cartoons!

Super weird. Makes me want to see Roxy and Dub Room Special :-)

Well, a lot of money must have been spent on acquiring the rights to show all those cartoons!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:37 am 

Live Review: The Frank Zappa Hologram Tour Is as Trippy as the Man Himself
The tour kicked off with a two-hour show at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY

by Spencer Kaufman
on April 21, 2019, 7:11am

BIzarre World of Frank Zappa at Capitol Theatre, photo by Bryan Weber

Setting the Stage: It’s been more than a quarter century since the physical world lost Frank Zappa, the experimental rocker whose avant-garde music was as trippy as it was innovative. Now, 25-plus years later, the late legend has rematerialized in “The Bizarre World of Frank Zappa” hologram tour, which kicked off last night at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, New York. With a collective hologram experience consisting mostly of Princess Leia telling Obi-Wan Kenobi he’s our only hope, fans filed into the venue with a high sense of curiosity. The technology for the Zappa tour was developed by Eyellusion, the same company that created the Ronnie James Dio hologram, which debuted a couple years ago and will embark on a US tour of its own late next month.

As press materials informed us, the audio for the Zappa hologram was culled from footage of a 1974 performance in which he turned his Los Angeles rehearsal space into a soundstage. For this tour, the hologram is joined by an impressive lineup of live musicians, including a number of past members of his band. The touring unit consists of guitarists Ray White and Mike Keneally, bassist Scott Thunes, multi-instrumentalist Robert Martin, percussionist Ed Mann, and drummer Joe Travers.

Taking the Stage: With a packed house and no opening act, the live band took the stage just after 8 p.m. Surrounded by video screens above and below them, they broke into a jam on “Cosmik Debris” off the 1974 Apostrophe (!) album. It wouldn’t take too long for the audience to witness the Frank Zappa hologram, which appeared a few minutes into the track, center stage, playing guitar and singing the words to the tune. At the end of the song, the Zappa hologram politely spoke to us, telling the crowd , “I’m as happy to see you guys as you are to see the show.”

Now, as far as the hologram is concerned, don’t expect it to jump out at you in some full-on 3D form. There is definitely a three-dimensionality to the hologram, but it’s set back on a screen with movements that are more side to side than front to back. It’s still pretty cool, but it’s not, by any means, a mind-blowing, CGI-looking Frank Zappa that comes face-to-face with the front of the audience.

What the audience also found out pretty soon was that the hologram is just one element of a much grander multimedia show, appearing occasionally throughout the concert rather than during the entire gig. The second song of the night, “Montana”, featured an animated line drawing of Zappa, while the next tune, “More Trouble Every Day”, was accompanied by newspaper headlines and animation depicting Martin Luther King Jr., police brutality, and school shootings, along with archival video of Zappa.

Following a humorous cartoon animation during the song “Penguin in Bondage”, the hologram would reappear (almost 40 minutes since first materializing) for an extended jam session.

Throughout the night, the live band members would take to the mic to convey their gratitude and awe at having the opportunity to play these songs again, with the emotion clearly showing on their faces.

More animation and video footage would follow in the next handful of songs, with some of the imagery having a Wes Anderson vibe to it. And then a fun highlight came when a disco-dressed-action-figure-looking Zappa hologram sang and danced along to “Dinah-Moe Humm”, accompanied by two backing dancers.

It was after that tune that Frank’s son Ahmet Zappa took the stage to express his gratitude to the band and the fans, saying that it was true magic that his father was cosmically back onstage. But Ahmet wasn’t just there to speak. He also delivered a couple of Vegas lounge-like performances of “My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama” and “Dead Girls of London”, dancing like a madman, and cracking one-liners about the band members along the way. It was a little bizarre, and maybe a little out of place, but then again, the word “bizarre” is in the name of the tour.

After Ahmet’s exit, the Frank hologram would close out the main set with “Dirty Love”, only to return minutes later in hot-dog form for the first song of the encore, “Cheepnis”. The night ended with hologram Frank and the band playing the classic “Camarillo Brillo”, after which virtual Frank told the crowd, “Thanks a lot, you’ve been a real nice audience. Good night!”

Ahmet returned to bring the band members to the front of the stage for a final bow, closing the figurative curtain on a truly trippy evening of entertainment. Fans less familiar with Frank Zappa may walk away unsure of what they just saw, but diehards will truly appreciate the musicianship of the band and the attention to detail that the creators put into this show to capture the talent and quirkiness of an extraordinary and innovative individual.

Setlist:
Cosmik Debris
Montana
More Trouble Every Day
Village of the Sun
Alien Orifice
Penguin in Bondage
Apostrophe
Zomby Woof
Evil Prince
Why Does It Hurt When I Pee
Peaches en Regalia
Stinkfoot
Farther Oblivion
Dangerous Kitchen
Dinah Moe Humm
My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama (sung by Ahmet Zappa)
Dead Girls of London
 (sung by Ahmet Zappa)
Dirty Love
Cheepnis
Camarillo Brillo

Go here for pictures etc :arrow: https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/04/ ... koff-2019/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:17 am 

FYI. There are lots of concert reviews/observations on the Reddit Zappa “subreddit”(thread).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zappa/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:24 am 

Fans who have been, are reporting that if you sit in the balcony, you see a headless Frank!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:25 pm 

I thought the Rochester 4/20 show was awesome. I sat near the soundboard, everything looked & sounded great. Way better than expected. The setlist was nice too. Some have said too "greatest hits", but for the first tour one shouldn't have expected mostly deep cuts. Farther Oblivion & Alien Orifice were the highlights for me. DMH & Dangerous Kitchen were the funniest visually. Evil Prince was a nice surprise too. Should have been something, or one of the suites from YAWYI though.

The only thing that was sort of an eye-roll was the clearly anti-gun message for Trouble Every Day. Obviously school/public shootings & the like are topical to that song today, but at the end of the song when you see a handgun in a giant circle w/ a slash through it, there's a clear message there. I wasn't offended, but I wonder if it pissed off any of the baby boomer/NRA types in the crowd.

Grabbed the tour shirt for $30 with the show poster art. They have a new Hot Rats 50th shirt with the cartoon rat playing a violin for $35 that was tempting too, and a bunch of other shirts & weird merch. ZINY 40th vinyl set for $50, some random CDs. No Guitar World RSD LP which I was really hoping to grab.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:30 pm 

April 19 at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, New York (Photo: Courtesy of Bryan Weber)

Rochester video :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWJhV2J3ncw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:31 pm 

^ I need to be on this side! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:24 pm 

coevad wrote:
^ I need to be on this side! :mrgreen:

Just don’t steal Scott’s set list! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:17 am 

Having seen a couple of short videos, this naysayer still says nay. It's nice to see the "back-up" band together though.

(The point is moot though - they won't come within 500 miles of where I live.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:29 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I thought the Rochester 4/20 show was awesome. I sat near the soundboard, everything looked & sounded great. Way better than expected. The setlist was nice too. Some have said too "greatest hits", but for the first tour one shouldn't have expected mostly deep cuts. Farther Oblivion & Alien Orifice were the highlights for me. DMH & Dangerous Kitchen were the funniest visually. Evil Prince was a nice surprise too. Should have been something, or one of the suites from YAWYI though.

The only thing that was sort of an eye-roll was the clearly anti-gun message for Trouble Every Day. Obviously school/public shootings & the like are topical to that song today, but at the end of the song when you see a handgun in a giant circle w/ a slash through it, there's a clear message there. I wasn't offended, but I wonder if it pissed off any of the baby boomer/NRA types in the crowd.

Grabbed the tour shirt for $30 with the show poster art. They have a new Hot Rats 50th shirt with the cartoon rat playing a violin for $35 that was tempting too, and a bunch of other shirts & weird merch. ZINY 40th vinyl set for $50, some random CDs. No Guitar World RSD LP which I was really hoping to grab.

Thanks for the added "merch" info! I was wondering what 'different" items they would be offering. I am starting to think I can at least enjoy putting up cash for this weird concept of a show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 am 

I was at the show in Red Bank, NJ. And I was disappointed. First, I'll admit the band was pretty good. I'm a fan of Ray White and Ed Mann and Robert Martin and Mike Keneally. I'm not a fan of Scott Thunes. And Travers is a good drummer. I've seen him with Dweezil's ZPZ shows something like 6 or 7 times. So, all in all, decent band. Good set list, drawing heavily from Roxy, Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation.

Now, the bad. The stage setup was weird. The large stonehenge-like video display which forced the band to be split from each other didn't really work. It was almost as though the band was shoehorned into the far corners of the stage as an afterthought. Now, let's get to the hologram. Cheesy. Looked like a cartoon. It didn't hold up to all the hype. Sorry, but it sucked. I'd rather see a video of Frank on a giant screen as the band plays with him than see a promising technology being used long before it is ready to be used. And related to that, Ahmet came out and talked a little bit saying what a "long journey" it had been to get there. Other than hiring someone to create a cheesy hologram, there isn't anything new here. The concept of having a live band playing along with recordings and video of Frank was done already by Dweezil years ago. So, I don't see the "journey". And who told Ahmet he could sing? That was just horrible. And watching him dance around like a clown was embarrassing.

Now, lets talk about the video they displayed on the stonehenge thing. Mostly old Frank video, old albums and some live close ups of the band. That's ok but they then put effects on the video of the band to make it look old. Ruined it for me. And then there was some new content. The cartoon animation. One segment was particularly troubling. The segment where the character was snorting why appeared to be piles and piles of cocaine. Really? It's almost as though Ahmet forgot that his father was opposed to drugs. And what about it being inappropriate for younger viewers? I brought my 16 year old son to the show. And there were lots of other kids his age in the audience. Inappropriate.

My last complaint. How can you perform that great set list and not include Muffin Man? I didn't see one standing ovation during the entire show. I've been to Dweezil shows where the audience gave him a standing ovation after EVERY SINGLE SONG. Yep. At the Wiltern Theater. And my last comment is this. I was waiting for my son to come out after show and as I stood in the lobby while people were filing out I heard one guy say "Dweezil puts on a much better show than Ahmet." I totally agree. I won't be going to any more hologram shows or Ahmet productions. But I will definitely be seeing Dweezil's Hot Rats show this September. And I'll see Dweezil's shows as long as he continues to do his tributes to his father. One disappointed fan.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:57 am 

I saw the show in Red Bank earlier this week. I should also note that I have seen Dweezil do ZPZ and Choice Cuts 6 or 7 times.

As far as the Hologram show goes, I liked the band, for the most part. Never was a fan of Scott Thunes. But the rest of the band is great. Keneally and Mann were awesome. The set list was also really good, drawing heavily from Roxy, Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation.

But that is where the good ends. The hologram itself was cheesy. It was less lifelike than cartoonish. And they only used it for 4 or 5 tunes. Why bother? Frankly, I thought Dweezil's use of a giant screen to project Frank larger than life and to play along with it was far more effective. They have this giant stonehenge shaped display set up in the middle of the stage for putting video up and in the middle is the hologram screen. The problem with it is that the band is split with 3 guys on one side and 3 on the other crowded together way off to the side as though they were an afterthought. When they actually did use the hologram and some solos of Frank, you couldn't really hear his guitar very well. He was drowned out by the band. It wasn't where I was sitting as we were in the center orchestra 15 rows back. Great seats. Turn up the volume on Frank please. The video they projected on the stonehenge thing was a mix of old video footage, old album covers, live video of the band and some newly created cartoon like stuff that seemed to be created specifically for the show. The live band footage had effects applied to it to make it look "old" which detracted from it. Bad idea. And the newly created content had pictures of a pig or mouse or some other character snorting piles and mountains of cocaine. And it went on for a while. Last time I heard Frank was anti-drug. Also, there were lots of kids in the audience. Including my 16 year old son who to the best of my knowledge does not do drugs....yet. That video display was totally inappropriate. And then Ahmet comes out and starts talking about "the journey" to get there. What journey? You hired a company to create a hologram. That was cheesy and totally ineffective. The concept of having a live band playing to Frank recordings and video was done by Dweezil years and years ago. Nothing new here. And then he had the audacity to sing two tunes. He can't sing. And he can't dance either. That didn't stop him from dancing like an idiot all over the stage. Low point of an already mediocre show. And my last complaint? As good as the set list was, they didn't play Muffin Man.

I'm not the only one who felt this way. As I was waiting for my son to come out of the bathroom after the show I heard one guy say to his friend, and I quote, "Dweezil puts on a much better show than Ahmet." I totally agree. Frankly, I think Dweezil should play "whatever the fuck he wants."

I won't be going back to see another Ahmet production. But I will be going to see Dweezil do Hot Rats in September. The best ZPZ show I have seen was in LA at the Wiltern Theater when Napoleon Murphy Brock, Vai and Bozzio played with them. The energy was insane and I swear that the entire audience gave the band a standing ovation after EVERY SINGLE TUNE. That is not an exaggeration. Fact. Not one person stood up in applause for this show, other than four idiots in the front row who didn't seem to notice that not one other person in the theater was on their feet.

Looking forward to Hot Rats.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:06 am 

coevad wrote:
Spoiler Alert!!

Well, a lot of money must have been spent on acquiring the rights to show all those cartoons!

Most of those cartoons look to be 'public domain' property from the 1930's. I would be surprised if they spent a nickel on licensing them.

If they were going to spend money on visuals, Bruce Bickford and Cal Schenkel are still alive & available.

Last edited by TwentySmallCigars on Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:48 am 

"Doing the bull dance. Feeling the flow. Working it. Working it"

@ 1:10

https://youtu.be/gL6AiGMmUvg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:07 pm 

Rahdley wrote:
"Doing the bull dance. Feeling the flow. Working it. Working it"

@ 1:10

https://youtu.be/gL6AiGMmUvg

OOCH! That "singer"....needs a little practice. YES....I DO know who that is! Ha! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:12 am 

I wrote two posts to this forum. The second one was only because I thought I had not activated my account properly and was the reason my first post did not show up. I now realize that is not the case. Other posts have made it since I wrote mine yet neither of mine appear. It seems that my negative review of the Hologram show and my positive comments about Dweezil's shows were too much for Ahmet. I do not have any emails from this site telling me my posts were inappropriate. So, am I to assume that my posts have been censored? I'm hoping an explanation is in order. Huge Zappa fan here and I'm merely expressing my opinion on the two from my own firsthand experience. Not everything the family in general does is going to be met with universally positive feedback. Constructive criticism is essential in today's society. After all, Frank was one of the most prolific distributors of personal opinion I know. And I thank him for that. I hope a moderator can let me know what happened to my posts. And I can handle the truth. It doesn't need to be sugar coated. And I've done something that is legitimately wrong, I would like to know that as well so I don't do it again. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:32 pm 

Don't worry. Posts by new users don't show up until they've made 10 posts to protect us from spammers.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:13 am 

Reading these posts. I'm glad I sat out this hologram tour thingy. For you that attended it and had a good time,
that's great! But, this doesn't interest me at all, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:50 am 

Last Friday I attended the BWoFZ show in Boston.

I was blown away, and so was my wife (my wife is not as much as a fan as I)

We lined up for soundcheck at 5:30, not to long after an employee from CIDEntertainment briefed us about what would happen, during soundcheck. Basically no recording entire pieces of music allowed, and we can scream, clap and address the band.

Then Ahmet comes in, and shakes everyones hand and says Hi, I tried to talk to him a bit longer, but the line does have to move. Ahmet was very nice. I told him i really dug his material in the AAAFNRAA albums, specifically "Feel How I Need You" and "Bring it Back" his eyes widened, but he had to continue greeting guests, so i shuffled in.

No assigned seating for sound check, so i sit to the left 2 rows back near Mike and Joe, Scot was down in the front clostest to the audience, and he paced back and fowarth the whole stage the whole time. My regular seats were in front of Ray Ed and Robert. The band was rehersing MGW2KYM, Mike seemed to really direct the band and control the sound check thee whole time, he instructed either Bobby or Ed where to place the "honk" in the song, and they ran through it a few times starting at different points the whole time. Video screens are all going, showing the band members and the house lights are on. The band welcomes the soundcheck people.

They work Their way through a medly of Uncle Meat, Echindas Arf, then....?Inca Roads, my memory is failing me now. They stopped at many different points and discussed different arrangements, and then Mike Started talking about the song "Twinkle Tits" and how they had isolated tracks of Frank playing and they were going to play TT with Frank, then they did (minus Ray). A pretty long version. I was just soaking it in and loving it, everyone was. They broke into another unreleased song, with Frank playing guitar, It was a little on the repetitive side, but had a good ….kinda..groove to it, not funky or anything, but it was defiantly Frank, Joe noticed someone recording in the audience, which stopped the song Mike said jokingly..."delete that" ... of yeah Ray came back for this song. I honestly forgot what they worked on after that, but 40 minutes of sound check, I loved it.
We then looked at merch and used the bathroom then left the venue to come back later.

Ray and Scott were horsing around a lot. Ray seemed to fuck with Scott ever so lightly, and Scott seemed to enjoy it.

Mike worked closely with Bobby and Ed too.

Joe was spot on every take.

Show review later...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next