Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zappa Hologram Tour
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:33 pm 

^^
^^
That may be, but I was talking about the 10-20 that DO express opinions regularly. We can’t come to any conclusions about the lurkers if they don’t post anything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:37 pm 

And they probably won't. I've read that about 1 percent of people that are fans of a show or band or other interests post on their respective forums.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:43 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
And they probably won't. I've read that about 1 percent of people that are fans of a show or band or other interests post on their respective forums.

That sounds about right.

I wonder what that says about us 1 percenters. There must be something very wrong with us. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:33 pm 

KUIII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

That sounds about right.

I wonder what that says about us 1 percenters. There must be something very wrong with us. :lol:

To well adjusted... :mrgreen:

or

We are exhibitionists... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:57 pm 

KUIII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

That sounds about right.

I think it's people with 17,000 posts or above that have problems.

:smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:14 pm 

^^On their own thread named after themselves. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:17 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:59 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I think it's people with 17,000 posts or above that have problems.
Very funny, just pick a number greater than 16,521. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:18 am 

‘I’m finishing what he started’: Ahmet Zappa on bringing Frank’s vision to life

The Bizarre World tour, which begins next month, is the "closest anyone’s ever going to get to see a Frank Zappa show", according to Zappa's son

By Jon Chapple 19th of March 2019

Ahmet Zappa, son of Frank and co-trustee of the Zappa Family Trust (ZFT), has said the upcoming Bizarre World of Frank Zappa tour is a fulfilment of his “visionary” father’s dream to appear on stage as a hologram.

“If Frank was alive, he’d have been really into this technology, and I think he’d have used it himself,” says Zappa Jnr, speaking to IQ ahead of his appearance at ILMC alongside Jeff Pezzuti, CEO of Eyellusion, the production company behind the Frank Zappa hologram.

“The conversation started way before I met Jeff and we started working in earnest to do a show, when I was a young kid: Frank was a futurologist, and he would talk about having a hologram that could play shows around the world while he was at home working – a kind of world tour in a day…”

The Bizarre World of Frank Zappa – which promises guest appearances by long-time Zappa collaborators, as well as unseen footage and “circumstances, objects, places and subject matter” from the late singer’s music brought to life on stage – kicks off in the US on 19 April, at the 1,800-capacity Capitol Theater in Port Chester, New York, playing shows along the eastern seaboard before heading to Europe in May. The first European date is at the Playhouse (3,059-cap.) in Edinburgh, with shows in London, Manchester, Ostend and Amsterdam also planned.

Fans caught their first glimpse of the hologram, which follows Eyellusion’s recreation of metal icon Ronnie James Dio, last month, when ZFT released a video showing ‘Frank’ decrying the censorship (to remove a penguin’s buttocks, no less) of the tour artwork:

“The video we put out,” says Zappa, also EVP of business development for Eyellusion, is “really crazy. There’s no other way to describe it – I’m looking at my dad.”

On the choice to model the hologram on Apostrophe-era Frank Zappa, Pezzuti says Eyellusion’s philosophy is to recreate deceased performers based on how they are remembered by most fans. “We try to honour that – what we imagine to be the legacy, and how people immortalise them in their minds,” he explains.

With the show’s production, Zappa continues, “I don’t want to say we’re reinventing the wheel – but we kind of are. The live experience has been the same for a long time, and the fact we’re adding an artist who’s not physically present changes the dynamic. What’s cool about this is coming up with creative solutions to keep the audience engaged for a 90-minute show.”

“We’ve put so much love and energy into this”

“With Zappa we’re making it funny, with Dio it was very metal, and Glenn Gould will be very different again,” adds Pezzuti. (Dates for Eyellusion’s Glenn Gould tour will be announced later this year.)

Visuals are based on Frank’s lyrical content – the infamous bare-bottomed penguin is a nod to ‘Penguin in Bondage’, from Roxy & Elsewhere – as well as Zappa’s own memories of his father, he explains: “We’re visualising elements of the songs, and a lot of the conversations I’ve had with father have influenced how this show looks… it’s drawing on [Frank Zappa] touchpoints throughout history.”

“We’ve put so much love and energy into this,” says Zappa. “My father was an early adopter – of state-of-the-art recording equipment, digital, all kinds of technology” (“Machines don’t get loaded, drunk or evicted,” as Frank noted in 1989’s the Real Frank Zappa Book) – “and I feel, as his son, I’m completing something he started and didn’t get a chance to finish. That was a big part of my motivation here.”

He adds: “When you have this content we’ve made with his vocals, his guitars, his live band… Frank has passed, but this is the closest anyone’s ever going to get to see a Frank Zappa show.”

https://www.iq-mag.net/2019/03/finishin ... JXcRemBpok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:08 am 

Scott Thunes...

Hi! As most of you already know, rehearsals started two weeks ago. Mike K is a great Music Director and has organized tons of activities for us: Bobbing for zircon encrusted tweezers, pin the nose on the Zappa, and Make A Jazz Noise Far, Far Away from Me, Motherfucker. We have another week of band-only rehearsals, then three days of tech rehearsals. It's been going swimmingly and am very excited for our future. Can't wait to rock the east coast and the UK (plus Belgium and Netherlands) but more importantly, I'm deeply happy to be back on stage with these fine men, survivors all, who have made it this far and can do this stuff... i mean, at ALL! It's awesome-sounding and I hope you all enjoy it. Come for the music, stay for the awesome camaraderie, and think of the hologram stuff as ICING, not as THE MEAL. I think there's a useful metaphor in there somewhere. Ugh. Love you all, even the naysayers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:46 am 

^^^Dam straight... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:16 pm 

Edison cylinders were a tech reproduction, magnetic tape is a tech reproduction, vinyl discs are a tech reproduction, CDs are a tech reproduction, videos are a tech reproduction and so on and none of them bring you the actual event for real. When you watch a video with FZ in it - that's not him, it's just magnetic or digital impressions - it's no more nor less real than a hologram, which is also a tech reproduction. If hologram's are desecration then videos are desecration and all the other tech reproductions- you can't have it both ways.

Like holograms - don't like holograms - but all this luddite/moral furore is bizarre. From one tech reproduction to another, the difference is in its capacity to enable suspension of disbelief.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:00 am 

polydigm wrote:
Edison cylinders were a tech reproduction, magnetic tape is a tech reproduction, vinyl discs are a tech reproduction, CDs are a tech reproduction, videos are a tech reproduction and so on and none of them bring you the actual event for real. When you watch a video with FZ in it - that's not him, it's just magnetic or digital impressions - it's no more nor less real than a hologram, which is also a tech reproduction. If hologram's are desecration then videos are desecration and all the other tech reproductions- you can't have it both ways.

Like holograms - don't like holograms - but all this luddite/moral furore is bizarre. From one tech reproduction to another, the difference is in its capacity to enable suspension of disbelief.

Yes....tech speaking this is true. But my original vote of "no hologram Zappa" was based on the fact that there was only one Frank Zappa,....and for even his one son (of two sons) to think it's possible to recreate Frank and his personality is really unfathomable. But since this is going on , one way or the other, ...hell yeah, I'll check it out and judge if this new "tech" is a good thing or not. But I still think it's going to come off a little "different" to my thoughts of what Frank "might have done" himself with this "new tech". I think if you asked all the members here on this board to define Frank Zappa, and write what they think Frank represented you would get as many different answers as there are members. So, my original comment / idea that there should be no hologram of Frank Zappa was based on the idea that ANY human (let alone Frank) is very complex ,and to think that they can be represented by a projection (made by anyone else) is just a far fetched dream. Done right this could be an entertaining variation on a "recording"...done wrong ...well, it could "taint" what Frank would have liked to have been his standing legacy. Let's hope it's just some fun.

(I direct reply) In the end I say videos or recordings are not a desecration....they are just a reproduction of one aspect of a living performer. Where this hologram could be made to do anything....and that may be desecration....depending on what is depicted.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:02 am 

Well said by both poly and pengy. There’s nothing wrong with the technology at all. The potential of it and its uses are very exciting. The only question as it applies to this show (or any other) is how well is the technology going to used artistically.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:08 am 

KUIII wrote:
Well said by both poly and pengy. There’s nothing wrong with the technology at all. The potential of it and its uses are very exciting. The only question as it applies to this show (or any other) is how well is the technology going to used artistically.

It should be a Bizarre Tour... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:20 am 

KUIII wrote:

Thanks , KUIII!

Like I've said before , since this is going to happen in any case, I am willing to check it out. I'm hoping it's a great show.

On a sort of unrelated note....

I think it seems that Frank's Irreverent humor was passed on to Ahmet, and his Guitar Skills went to Dweezil . I wish they could get together and do things in tandem , that always seemed to get the best results. I hope they can get along better in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:07 pm 

I agree on the AZ/DZ analysis. Some of the musicians that worked with both FZ and DZ (I think maybe Thunes and Keneally possibly among others) have made that observation as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:24 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I agree on the AZ/DZ analysis. Some of the musicians that worked with both FZ and DZ (I think maybe Thunes and Keneally possibly among others) have made that observation as well.

When they had that Music/variety/game show called Happy Hour they killed it together, I loved that joint... :idea:

Does anyone know who was in the house band???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:54 pm 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

When they had that Music/variety/game show called Happy Hour they killed it together, I loved that joint... :idea:

Does anyone know who was in the house band???

was it the band Tonic?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:39 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwouobIqB9I

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 am 

oh yeah!
scantily clad babes!
1 holding a gnarly guitar!
crotch/tit cams!!!

SUH
WEE
TUH!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:50 am 

^^^^^ It's cheesier than I remember ^^^^^

I hope the hologram tour makes it to NZ, or Australia at the very least.....I'd consider travelling to the lucky country.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:32 am 

Shoulda been a hit because of Ahmet. Because...

"His stage presence is beyond belief. There is only one individual who has ever had that potential for the stage. Some people might think that Elvis shaking his hips during the `50s is where it`s at. To me, Ahmet Zappa is the real deal. The lights could be off, and he is shining 1,000,000 lumens."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:02 pm 

Crap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm 

From production rehearsals

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next