Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:40 pm 

Hot Rats was a great time! I saw PenguinInBondage there. The venue was small, but nice with wood floors, which is good for sound, imo.
They played the album and then finished with a 2nd take of Peaches.

This was basically my view, 2nd row.

We have drums, bass, 2 keyboardists, guitar/vox, violin, flute/saxes, saxes

It wasn't all a note-for-note performance, though they tried to be at times. For Son of Mr Green Genes, they skipped through various live orchestrations that FZ did over the years. Siebold put alot of work into this project and the performers were all top shelf.
There was a guy recording with cell phones on tripods. He said he'd like to put it on youtube once he combines the recordings from the 2 phones.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:42 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
[An ad]... sez that The Chicago Zappa Collective will perform Billy the Mountain in it's entirety, but Reggie's web page sez Joe's Garage:
I'm happy either way, though I guess I'd lean towards Billy. I've seen them perform Joe's before and it was great, but the last time I saw Billy, it was as a different ensemble (still Chris Siebold on guitar). They also did BWTHW last year.
Besides, that all doesn't count that there will be a MK w/ BFD show, the Don & Bunk show, Chester Thompson playing with Alphonso Johnson and maybe there will be a reprise of MK sitting in with Necromonkey.

I'm only going 2 nights this year. Doing 2 days & 3 nights last year nearly killed me. I ended up sleeping through Sunday afternoon, hahaha.
It turns out the The Chicago Jazz Collective will be playing BTM. I heard this from a friend of the band.
Lots of FZ alums performing this time. MK w/ BFD looks like the best thing for Saturday. I still hold out hopes for MK playing with Necromonkey as that was definitely a highlight from last year's Progtoberfest.
Having seen Hot Rats live a week ago with Larry Gray on Bass, its cool that Larry will be playing with Moulder, Gray and Wertico. John Moulder has made a name for himself around Chicago as an excellent Jazz guitarist and I've known of Paul Wertico since I got his vinyl of Earwax Control in the mid-80s. I haven't heard this trio, but am looking forward to it.
Of course, the overall highlight for this year is The Don & Bunk Show w/ Ike & Keneally.
The venue has a small room and a bigger rock room, so I doubt I'll be able to catch all the stuff I wanna hear. But, ideally I wouldn't mind hearing the School of Rock playing Yes.