Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:07 am 
Banned

Thinman wrote:
Caputh wrote:
… as I suspect, he intends to be funny.

I think, his attempts at being "funny" in this way are the results of a complete misunderstandig of FZ's humour. He believes his behaviour puts him somehow on FZ's level. What an error! <----- Uh no. Don't put thoughts into someone elses head or compare them to someone else. You are inaccurate.

I know that many people avoid this forum just because of him. <------ Who?? Prove it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:06 am 

Being in a defensive suddenly? Just change your behaviour. Things can only get better from then on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:33 am 

I hope that any changes won't affect the old threads structure further, or at least the whole thing is saved in an old posts section or something. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:46 am 
Banned

Thinman wrote:
Being in a defensive suddenly? Just change your behaviour. Things can only get better from then on.

No. What are you, my mommy?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:02 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Caputh wrote:
… as I suspect, he intends to be funny.

I think, his attempts at being "funny" in this way are the results of a complete misunderstandig of FZ's humour. He believes his behaviour puts him somehow on FZ's level. What an error! <----- Uh no. Don't put thoughts into someone elses head or compare them to someone else. You are inaccurate.

I know that many people avoid this forum just because of him. <------ Who?? Prove it.

I think, possibly, one should take this discussion elsewhere. However, I have no problems with jaypfunk's "movie quotes". I don't find them particularly funny, but then that's just me, because I've heard them before. Maybe there are other people who do find them funny - including jaypfunk. Who am I to decide what is funny and what is not? I am not, however, everybody else; if I had been in the situation of some his targets - maybe I would have been offended.

I have to say, however, his constant attempts to decide who is allowed to say what on which agenda (without movie quotes) to be more offensive. Then again, these statements are generally so contradictory that they are easy to refute - which is maybe what he wants...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I hope that any changes won't affect the old threads structure further, or at least the whole thing is saved in an old posts section or something. Thanks.

It might, which is why I'm encouraging people to save pages that mean something to them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:31 pm 

Just curious, is this a phpbb upgrade or a switch to new forum software?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:48 pm 

Mikey wrote:
do you think FZ would support people who think that posting on a forum gives them license to be an asshole?

What would FZ think about a person who continually uses the FZ forum as a platform to sell their political party? More specifically, what would FZ think of a person who uses this forum to promote the likes of Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton?

My comments are not coming from a political place, they're coming from a human place. I'm not voting for Trump, Clinton, or any other fatty, greasy, completely-lacking-in-nutrition choice on the Presidential menu. I only vote when it matters.

And how did FZ feel about blatant ass kissers? (high five!)

And what of those who constantly, purposely fuel others anger? Consciously hoping to incite violent reactions and then "acting" offended when they get the reaction they wanted?

Apparently Punknayowned never reads Spacebrother's posts if he's laying all the blame on jaypfunk.

I only hope all of the political advertisements being rammed down our throats on a daily basis are considered "bullying" if/when you start banning/blaming people.

Note: if folks like SB and JayP are personal friends of the administrator I will happily ban myself permanently, immediately.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:54 pm 
Banned

downer mydnyte wrote:
I only hope all of the political advertisements being rammed down our throats on a daily basis are considered "bullying" if/when you start banning/blaming people.

No dummy. That would be the definition of censorship. Plus is it not advertisements. No one is being paid for their fucking opinion. Dope.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:57 pm 
Banned

And stop worrying about "What Would FZ Think". He's not here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:01 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

No dummy. That would be the definition of censorship. Plus is it not advertisements. No one is being paid for their fucking opinion. Dope.

Read it again you loud mouthed, grease ball. I said IF he starts banning. I don't want censorship or mods, but if they start banning I hope it's fair. Jesus fuck.

And fuck yer political advertisements, errand boy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:03 pm 

Frank Zappa IS here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:39 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
And what of those who constantly, purposely fuel others anger? Consciously hoping to incite violent reactions and then "acting" offended when they get the reaction they wanted?

Now, now. Stop picking on Mij.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:51 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Now, now. Stop picking on Mij.

I knew the more perceptive among us would know who I was referring to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:04 pm 

My skin has thickened considerably since I began posting here. I wrote something yesterday that polydigm thought was the stupidest thing ever. It takes all kinds, and that's what you get when you let nature take it's course. Australians don't get me and they are rude about it. I find it hilarious. Other rude people, not so much.

But, who in their right minds would take any of this stuff personally? I would personally take it as a point of pride if H. Rap Brown called me a white-ass cracker-ass cracker as I stood on a streetcorner in Berkeley waiting for a crosswalk light. Because that's what I am.

Or is.

Labels applied to my forum entity by other forum entities are meaningless. I personally hate the entire human race, so what would I care what anyone thinks? You're all a bunch of dumbfuckers beneath contempt. I can say this because I have had lots of interactions with many of you. I can also say this because this forum is not moderated.

It should be like a bar. Some guy gets mouthy and he gets thrown out, but he's allowed back in next week.

Or like a hockey game...a penalty box...can the software do that?

Anyway, if we ban the idiots, it will get very boring very quickly for most of you. Who gets the most attention around here? The smart ones?

Or the smart-ass ones?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:35 pm 

Mikey wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
When the new forum is launched, we'll be happy to moderate it, seeing as that's what most people secretly want anyway.

Good Christ, please don't. FZ will be rolling in his grave if that happens...

So you say, but do you think FZ would support people who think that posting on a forum gives them license to be an asshole?

This forum has been unmoderated and essentially left alone as a natural ecosystem for many years. We installed software so you can ignore users, as an alternative to banning people. Even so, a significant number of you (including people posting in this very thread) send me private messages asking me to ban others because you feel as if you're being bullied or threatened, or you simply don't like what they are saying.

Moderation is not synonymous with censorship.

Music Is The Best.

So now you're attempting to circumlocute censorship by altering the semantic contours of particular dialogue?! Wonderful! Did I say FZ will be rolling in his grave? Fuck that shit, FZ will be spinning at warp speed in his grave!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:48 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

calvin2hikers wrote:
Just curious, is this a phpbb upgrade or a switch to new forum software?

exploring both options.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:07 pm 

Cool.

Number One: Please wipe out anything I have ever posted.

Number Two: Keep the onslaught of (undesirable) political cartoon thievery limited to a single thread, if at all. Pollution. Number One reason why I avoid this space.

Number Three: Leave jayp alone. He operates in the zone of being obviously offensive and I appreciate it. Whereas other mother-fuckers have no idea they are being offensive. That's the beauty of it.

Number Four: There is only ONE racist on this forum (that I have discerned) but he is protected. Why?
And it ain't #3.

Be careful about who is who and what is what.

Can I offer you a mint? (your breath is bad)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:05 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
polydigm wrote:
You have to contact Mikey if you want your email address changed.
Because he doesn't have very many posts, right? I changed mine with no problem.
I don't know what the rules are, but if his email field isn't editable, he'll have to contact Mikey. Mine is, I changed my email not that long ago. I guess I meant to say "You'll have to ... ".

You must be very bored.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:20 am 

My apologies, I had momentarily thought we were in the Brexit factor thread where my comment would have been relevant to the discussion, so I've moved it there. I'll confine myself to the issue of the forum itself.

Last edited by polydigm on Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:18 am 

Is it possible for me to export the whole forum to any popular format? Or can you save it whole before pressing the button, Mikey? I'd love to have a copy if possible sometime in the future, in case it all falls apart, if that's cool...

Also if you can implement a RSS feed in the upcoming version, that would be pretty nifty...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:50 am 

XMB can make a complete copy of an XMB forum, maybe PHPBB has such a feature... if it doesn't we could all chip in and save sections we don't want to lose...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 am 

It is fairly hilarious, in a pathetic way, that even this Mikey thread has been destroyed by the typical carping.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:21 pm 

Mikey wrote:
... but do you think FZ would support people who think that posting on a forum gives them license to be an asshole? ...

Very easy to answer this question: Yes he would. He didn't like assholes but he didn't like pojama people either. By the way: who decides if a person is an asshole? What is the problem with assholes (everybody has one ;-))?
Why should this last remaining island of free expression in the www became as lame and boring as the rest of it? Is people having no balls to stand yapfunks comments a serious enough reason to change this absoluteley well working forum? You say "most people" want a moderated forum. How did u find out?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:51 pm 

ursinator wrote:
Mikey wrote:
... but do you think FZ would support people who think that posting on a forum gives them license to be an asshole? ...

Very easy to answer this question: Yes he would. He didn't like assholes but he didn't like pojama people either. By the way: who decides if a person is an asshole? What is the problem with assholes (everybody has one ;-))?
Why should this last remaining island of free expression in the www became as lame and boring as the rest of it? Is people having no balls to stand yapfunks comments a serious enough reason to change this absoluteley well working forum? You say "most people" want a moderated forum. How did u find out?

You skipped a chapter on the first page. I know it's hard to pay attention with all that other bullshit. :wink:

Mikey wrote:
It's amazing that everyone shrieks "No moderation!" any time we have stepped in to do so, yet my inbox is full of private messages from many of the very same people asking me to ban other people because they don't like what they're posting....

When the new forum is launched, we'll be happy to moderate it, seeing as that's what most people secretly want anyway.

None of those messages are from me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next