Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:07 am 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 10205
Location: Anywhere but here
Thinman wrote:
Caputh wrote:
… as I suspect, he intends to be funny.

I think, his attempts at being "funny" in this way are the results of a complete misunderstandig of FZ's humour. He believes his behaviour puts him somehow on FZ's level. What an error! <----- Uh no. Don't put thoughts into someone elses head or compare them to someone else. You are inaccurate.

I know that many people avoid this forum just because of him. <------ Who?? Prove it.


_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1188
Location: Earth
Being in a defensive suddenly? Just change your behaviour. Things can only get better from then on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 16881
Location: The cosmos at large
I hope that any changes won't affect the old threads structure further, or at least the whole thing is saved in an old posts section or something. Thanks.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:46 am 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 10205
Location: Anywhere but here
Thinman wrote:
Being in a defensive suddenly? Just change your behaviour. Things can only get better from then on.


No. What are you, my mommy?

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 7174
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
jaypfunk wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Caputh wrote:
… as I suspect, he intends to be funny.

I think, his attempts at being "funny" in this way are the results of a complete misunderstandig of FZ's humour. He believes his behaviour puts him somehow on FZ's level. What an error! <----- Uh no. Don't put thoughts into someone elses head or compare them to someone else. You are inaccurate.

I know that many people avoid this forum just because of him. <------ Who?? Prove it.



I think, possibly, one should take this discussion elsewhere. However, I have no problems with jaypfunk's "movie quotes". I don't find them particularly funny, but then that's just me, because I've heard them before. Maybe there are other people who do find them funny - including jaypfunk. Who am I to decide what is funny and what is not? I am not, however, everybody else; if I had been in the situation of some his targets - maybe I would have been offended.

I have to say, however, his constant attempts to decide who is allowed to say what on which agenda (without movie quotes) to be more offensive. Then again, these statements are generally so contradictory that they are easy to refute - which is maybe what he wants...

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm 
Offline
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:11 pm
Posts: 243
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I hope that any changes won't affect the old threads structure further, or at least the whole thing is saved in an old posts section or something. Thanks.

It might, which is why I'm encouraging people to save pages that mean something to them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 16513
Just curious, is this a phpbb upgrade or a switch to new forum software?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 5069
Mikey wrote:
do you think FZ would support people who think that posting on a forum gives them license to be an asshole?


What would FZ think about a person who continually uses the FZ forum as a platform to sell their political party? More specifically, what would FZ think of a person who uses this forum to promote the likes of Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton?

My comments are not coming from a political place, they're coming from a human place. I'm not voting for Trump, Clinton, or any other fatty, greasy, completely-lacking-in-nutrition choice on the Presidential menu. I only vote when it matters.

And how did FZ feel about blatant ass kissers? (high five!)

And what of those who constantly, purposely fuel others anger? Consciously hoping to incite violent reactions and then "acting" offended when they get the reaction they wanted?

Apparently Punknayowned never reads Spacebrother's posts if he's laying all the blame on jaypfunk.

I only hope all of the political advertisements being rammed down our throats on a daily basis are considered "bullying" if/when you start banning/blaming people.

Note: if folks like SB and JayP are personal friends of the administrator I will happily ban myself permanently, immediately.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:54 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 10205
Location: Anywhere but here
downer mydnyte wrote:
I only hope all of the political advertisements being rammed down our throats on a daily basis are considered "bullying" if/when you start banning/blaming people.



No dummy. That would be the definition of censorship. Plus is it not advertisements. No one is being paid for their fucking opinion. Dope.

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:57 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 10205
Location: Anywhere but here
And stop worrying about "What Would FZ Think". He's not here.

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 5069
jaypfunk wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
I only hope all of the political advertisements being rammed down our throats on a daily basis are considered "bullying" if/when you start banning/blaming people.



No dummy. That would be the definition of censorship. Plus is it not advertisements. No one is being paid for their fucking opinion. Dope.


Read it again you loud mouthed, grease ball. I said IF he starts banning. I don't want censorship or mods, but if they start banning I hope it's fair. Jesus fuck.

And fuck yer political advertisements, errand boy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 5069
Frank Zappa IS here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 32946
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
downer mydnyte wrote:
And what of those who constantly, purposely fuel others anger? Consciously hoping to incite violent reactions and then "acting" offended when they get the reaction they wanted?

Now, now. Stop picking on Mij.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 5069
just plain doug wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
And what of those who constantly, purposely fuel others anger? Consciously hoping to incite violent reactions and then "acting" offended when they get the reaction they wanted?

Now, now. Stop picking on Mij.

I knew the more perceptive among us would know who I was referring to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 2936
My skin has thickened considerably since I began posting here. I wrote something yesterday that polydigm thought was the stupidest thing ever. It takes all kinds, and that's what you get when you let nature take it's course. Australians don't get me and they are rude about it. I find it hilarious. Other rude people, not so much.

But, who in their right minds would take any of this stuff personally? I would personally take it as a point of pride if H. Rap Brown called me a white-ass cracker-ass cracker as I stood on a streetcorner in Berkeley waiting for a crosswalk light. Because that's what I am.

Or is.

Labels applied to my forum entity by other forum entities are meaningless. I personally hate the entire human race, so what would I care what anyone thinks? You're all a bunch of dumbfuckers beneath contempt. I can say this because I have had lots of interactions with many of you. I can also say this because this forum is not moderated.

It should be like a bar. Some guy gets mouthy and he gets thrown out, but he's allowed back in next week.

Or like a hockey game...a penalty box...can the software do that?

Anyway, if we ban the idiots, it will get very boring very quickly for most of you. Who gets the most attention around here? The smart ones?

Or the smart-ass ones?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 5225
Location: Vancouver, BC
Mikey wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
When the new forum is launched, we'll be happy to moderate it, seeing as that's what most people secretly want anyway.


Good Christ, please don't. FZ will be rolling in his grave if that happens...

So you say, but do you think FZ would support people who think that posting on a forum gives them license to be an asshole?

This forum has been unmoderated and essentially left alone as a natural ecosystem for many years. We installed software so you can ignore users, as an alternative to banning people. Even so, a significant number of you (including people posting in this very thread) send me private messages asking me to ban others because you feel as if you're being bullied or threatened, or you simply don't like what they are saying.

Moderation is not synonymous with censorship.


Music Is The Best.


So now you're attempting to circumlocute censorship by altering the semantic contours of particular dialogue?! Wonderful! Did I say FZ will be rolling in his grave? Fuck that shit, FZ will be spinning at warp speed in his grave!!!

_________________
"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:48 pm 
Offline
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:11 pm
Posts: 243
calvin2hikers wrote:
Just curious, is this a phpbb upgrade or a switch to new forum software?

exploring both options.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 4237
Cool.

Number One: Please wipe out anything I have ever posted.

Number Two: Keep the onslaught of (undesirable) political cartoon thievery limited to a single thread, if at all. Pollution. Number One reason why I avoid this space.

Number Three: Leave jayp alone. He operates in the zone of being obviously offensive and I appreciate it. Whereas other mother-fuckers have no idea they are being offensive. That's the beauty of it.

Number Four: There is only ONE racist on this forum (that I have discerned) but he is protected. Why?
And it ain't #3.

Be careful about who is who and what is what.

Can I offer you a mint? (your breath is bad)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6712
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
calvin2hikers wrote:
polydigm wrote:
You have to contact Mikey if you want your email address changed.
Because he doesn't have very many posts, right? I changed mine with no problem.
I don't know what the rules are, but if his email field isn't editable, he'll have to contact Mikey. Mine is, I changed my email not that long ago. I guess I meant to say "You'll have to ... ".

You must be very bored.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6712
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
My apologies, I had momentarily thought we were in the Brexit factor thread where my comment would have been relevant to the discussion, so I've moved it there. I'll confine myself to the issue of the forum itself.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Last edited by polydigm on Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 16881
Location: The cosmos at large
Is it possible for me to export the whole forum to any popular format? Or can you save it whole before pressing the button, Mikey? I'd love to have a copy if possible sometime in the future, in case it all falls apart, if that's cool...

Also if you can implement a RSS feed in the upcoming version, that would be pretty nifty...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12110
Location: EINDHOVEN
XMB can make a complete copy of an XMB forum, maybe PHPBB has such a feature... if it doesn't we could all chip in and save sections we don't want to lose...

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 4237
It is fairly hilarious, in a pathetic way, that even this Mikey thread has been destroyed by the typical carping.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm
Posts: 868
Location: ger-money
Mikey wrote:
... but do you think FZ would support people who think that posting on a forum gives them license to be an asshole? ...

Very easy to answer this question: Yes he would. He didn't like assholes but he didn't like pojama people either. By the way: who decides if a person is an asshole? What is the problem with assholes (everybody has one ;-))?
Why should this last remaining island of free expression in the www became as lame and boring as the rest of it? Is people having no balls to stand yapfunks comments a serious enough reason to change this absoluteley well working forum? You say "most people" want a moderated forum. How did u find out?

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 4532
Location: Approaching Death
ursinator wrote:
Mikey wrote:
... but do you think FZ would support people who think that posting on a forum gives them license to be an asshole? ...

Very easy to answer this question: Yes he would. He didn't like assholes but he didn't like pojama people either. By the way: who decides if a person is an asshole? What is the problem with assholes (everybody has one ;-))?
Why should this last remaining island of free expression in the www became as lame and boring as the rest of it? Is people having no balls to stand yapfunks comments a serious enough reason to change this absoluteley well working forum? You say "most people" want a moderated forum. How did u find out?


You skipped a chapter on the first page. I know it's hard to pay attention with all that other bullshit. :wink:

Mikey wrote:
It's amazing that everyone shrieks "No moderation!" any time we have stepped in to do so, yet my inbox is full of private messages from many of the very same people asking me to ban other people because they don't like what they're posting....

When the new forum is launched, we'll be happy to moderate it, seeing as that's what most people secretly want anyway.


None of those messages are from me.

_________________
"Everything dies baby that's a fact
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group