Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:46 am 

Did you just call us bastards?!

pffft!

What exactly is the administration's goal in keeping and updating this forum, anyway? Surely there's no profit in it.

So, why?

I'm not a bastard you're a bastard you bastard!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:26 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
What exactly is the administration's goal in keeping and updating this forum, anyway?

So, why?

keeping = some people enjoy coming here.
some people may be not what you would consider deserving of a comfort zone, still...
people enjoying themselves none the less.

updating = do i really need to break down the advantages of change?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:12 pm 

tweezers wrote:
I hope the forum continues...
Hey tweezers, do you not read PMs?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:24 pm 

polydigm wrote:
tweezers wrote:
I hope the forum continues...
Hey tweezers, do you not read PMs?
There's one PM that I'm not reading because it's from jaypfunk. He's on my ignore list, which is a list of one. 8)

I guess he didn't get my memo. :mrgreen:

Logout [ Mr. Nice Guy ] 0 new messages, 1 unread message

Re: The Petulant-jaypfunk Amoral Barbecue - jaypfunk - Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:20 am

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:38 pm 

If it isn't broken......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:48 am 

break it, piss on it, chortle, and walk away?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:19 pm 

Another thing: I would like to upgrade my forum membership to Gold Plus. After careful consideration, I feel it is well worth the $19.99/month fee which includes unlimited posting, as opposed to my current package of $2.99 per post.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:12 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
Another thing: I would like to upgrade my forum membership to Gold Plus. After careful consideration, I feel it is well worth the $19.99/month fee which includes unlimited posting, as opposed to my current package of $2.99 per post.

and free public transport...during off peak hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:01 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

negasonic teenage warhead in a jar,
your request has been filed.

not a yes, not a no at this point.
let us not forget our 7 (was it 8?) private message resolution conferences...
last one ending with a new and improved you all caps shouting:
"I AM THE PROBLEM. I SHALL FIND THE SOLUTION".

again, nothing is final just yet. please hang in there.
i am working as fast as i can.

mngmnt2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:25 am 

Hello, Mikey.
I know this a bit late in the day, but I was wondering whether the "new" forum will allow more attatchments than the old one did. Quite often, I've wanted to include scans or photos, but the idea of uploading them generally somewhere doesn't appeal particularly and the limit here is rather minimal at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:29 am 

copy image address
post image address
highlight with "Img" block located above
tah
DAH!

mngmnt2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:39 am 

But, I don't want my home computer's address on the post, when one presses the quote button, that is what turns up, my dear.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:50 am 

Here are a handful of strategies for coping with paranoia.

Take your medication every day as prescribed. Talk to your doctor about what you can do if you experience a side effect. Upwards of 75 to 85 percent of individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia require long-term medication. Often, a side effect can be stopped or minimized by changing the dosage, timing or other changes.

Reality test if you are out in public with a friend or family member. Ask them what they think is going on. Alternatively, when you're out in public on your own and interacting with another person or within the area of another person, ask yourself if there can be an alternative reason why something happened or a person acted a particular way. This involves dialectic thinking - accepting what's going on at the same you change your perception of the event.

Develop a strong sense of self. Case in point: I was in the Washington Square Restaurant having lobster ravioli. I took out my pill box and took my pills. A guy at the table to the left of mine said something to his friends. I didn't care what he said even though I decided he was talking about me. You can simply choose to live with how you feel about it instead of beating yourself up for feeling that way.

See the good in what's happening. If you're aware your thoughts are paranoid and might be unfounded, you have insight into what's going on. Upwards of 50 percent of individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia have anosognosia, a symptom that is a lack of awareness that you have an illness. Thus they believe their paranoid thoughts are the truth.

Develop an exit strategy or secret code. If you're with someone when the paranoia gets totally unbearable, use a code to bow out of the event. Tell your good friends in advance that you might start to feel unwell and will tell them when you need to go home. If you're in public and don't want to talk about the symptoms, use a code like "I'm getting a migraine. Can we leave?"

A few takeaways about what it's like to have paranoia:

Medication can reduce the effect of symptoms and in some cases totally stop symptoms.

The better able you are to minimize the effect of the symptoms, the easier it will be to function every day.

Things can get better as you get older. I went back to school in 1997 and that was 10 years after I was diagnosed. Even in 1997 the paranoia was there yet over time it faded. After finding a job in a library in 2000 when I was 35, I rarely experienced it.

Find the job you like and would be good at regardless of whether it's paid employment. In the right environment, you will flourish. Environment does have a big impact on symptoms. If you're cut off from what gives you joy, you
will continue to harbor paranoia because you wonder what the people around you are thinking about you. Like when I worked in the office jobs and thought the female co-workers were talking about me.

mngmnt2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:23 am 

It isn't paranoia if they're out to get you -which they are :wink:

I like my job very much btw - more than most people have a right to like a job.

And those female workers told me all about you - not all of it was bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:44 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
... use a code like "I'm getting a migraine. Can we leave?"...
I have suffered from migraine with aura at least since I was 13. I'm now 60. I was told they would decrease in frequency as I aged, whereas the opposite has happened. I used to get one or two a year and I've just had 12 in the last 6 months. They're extremely unpleasant experiences and I could not live with myself if I ever pretended I was having one when I'm not so I never have.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:45 pm 

Dumb question: Where do I change my email? I just went through every menu under User Control Panel and didn't see an email input. (I do get emails from here, but was wanting to change it)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:08 pm 

bracton wrote:
Dumb question: Where do I change my email? I just went through every menu under User Control Panel and didn't see an email input. (I do get emails from here, but was wanting to change it)

User Control Panel, Profile, Edit Account Settings, your e mail address can be edited here.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:01 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
bracton wrote:

User Control Panel, Profile, Edit Account Settings, your e mail address can be edited here.....

Thanks. I thought I checked everyone of those options. Missed that one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 pm 

bracton wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
bracton wrote:

Thanks. I thought I checked everyone of those options. Missed that one.

No worries, see you on the otherside :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:38 pm 

Thanks for the heads-up Mikey!

downer mydnyte wrote:
Mikey wrote:
do you think FZ would support people who think that posting on a forum gives them license to be an asshole?

What would FZ think about a person who continually uses the FZ forum as a platform to sell their political party? More specifically, what would FZ think of a person who uses this forum to promote the likes of Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton?

My comments are not coming from a political place, they're coming from a human place. I'm not voting for Trump, Clinton, or any other fatty, greasy, completely-lacking-in-nutrition choice on the Presidential menu. I only vote when it matters.

And how did FZ feel about blatant ass kissers? (high five!)

And what of those who constantly, purposely fuel others anger? Consciously hoping to incite violent reactions and then "acting" offended when they get the reaction they wanted?

Apparently Punknayowned never reads Spacebrother's posts if he's laying all the blame on jaypfunk.

I only hope all of the political advertisements being rammed down our throats on a daily basis are considered "bullying" if/when you start banning/blaming people.

Note: if folks like SB and JayP are personal friends of the administrator I will happily ban myself permanently, immediately.

I admit that I post my share of "pointed" commentary. Probably a good half of those who post here with regularity do. You're not exactly "guilt free" of this yourself dm, if we're all really being truly honest here.

Mikey has been very cool to me whenever I've corresponded with him. I've even purchased some awesome photos from him he took of Steve Vai a few years back, which is beautifully framed and hanging on my wall thank you very much. I would consider him my friend.

B-bye dm. Don't let the door knock you on the hind end on your way out with your self-banning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:13 pm 

I don't sell photos to "personal" friends. I give them away. Who would charge a friend for a photo?

Sounds like SB is a customer, not a friend.

I'm still here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:40 pm 

Nice deflection. :roll:

A person who sells photo's for extra income is a person who would sell photos to friends. A farmer doesn't just give away their agricultural assets away to friends. A doctor doesn't give free health care to friends. A realtor doesn't give free houses away to friends. Harley Davidson doesn't give away free motorcycles to friends. Boeing doesn't give away free jets to friends. The utility services don't give free electricity, gas and water away to friends for free. "Free is when you don't have to pay for nothing or do nothing....you want to be free....free as the wind."

You are an equally guilty party of the forum trolling as anyone else here. Coyness is the activity of chumps. Get over yourself and your inflated ego.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:38 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
I have a talented photographer friend who has given me one of his works as a gift and later I bought another from him...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:05 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:09 pm 

Here's a novel idea. Create a section on this forum where we can ask the ZFT questions and get sensible answers in a timely fashion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next