Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ponty!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:37 am 

Not a Zappa show but just secured tix to the AndersonPonty Band at The Calvin in Northampton, MA. Check it out:
AndersonPonty Band

Live at the Calvin Theatre in Northampton, MA
Saturday, May 21st • 8 PM

Music icons Jon Anderson and Jean-Luc Ponty have combined their musical talents to form a new supergroup, YES’s original singer/songwriter for 35 years, Jon Anderson’s successful solo career includes collaborations with Vangelis and Kitaro. International violin superstar Jean-Luc Ponty is a pioneer and undisputed master of his instrument in jazz and rock; solo and with Frank Zappa, Return to Forever, and others. With a virtuoso band delivering top tier performances, they revisit the music they’ve created over the years with new arrangements ...and it soars.

Post subject: Re: Ponty!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:25 am 

Hi,

I bought this album, as I had very high hopes for it.

However, my excitement kinda dropped some, when too much of the material was old news delivered in a way that ... does not excite an old man that was with YES since their 2nd album! You see, I've been there from the beginning, you could say!

It is, however, a nice DVD/CD combination. But for my tastes, I was looking for more new material and not rehashes for something that I have heard for 45 years and don't enjoy much of anymore.

For all intents and purposes, Jon looks very tired and worn out in this DVD and probably needs a good rest, specially when he is just doing a rehash of what he has done before which I think he is has lost some of the spark that he had before. A new song, a new piece, with new ideas and feelings would be much more exciting to you and I, and this was not the highlight of the show, at least as far as the audience is concerned, and the DVD show. It's almost like the audience came here to listen to YES and not anything new, and who cares that the band had Jean Luc Ponty or not. Not sure I was totally happy with that, but then, I DID see YES in their best days! Tales from Topographic Oceans at the Long Beach Arena, I think it was!

I find this sad, and in some ways, the work that Jean Luc had to do, appears to have been brought down to a more simplistic level in order to be able to suit an audience listening to their kindergarten and high school favorite songs. In the middle of it, were a couple of pieces, that were likely co-written by Jean Luc and Jon Anderson, but they stand out so much, that you and I can not remember a single lyric, and neither can we hum 2 or 3 seconds of it ... but you will remember, the intro to Roundabout?

From day one, Jon Anderson's work has been a part of my life ... it started with "And You and I", went on to "Close to the Edge", and my favorite is "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and then "Olias of Sunhillow". The rest was not as important to me. You can imagine how I felt when I heard that Jean Luc was going to join him, but after seeing Jean Luc perform with Return to Forever a couple of years ago, I now knew that his work with Jon was going to be simmered down and made to sound very simple, for Jon ... and it is. Doesn't make the music bad by any means, but I felt cheated ... I wanted less YES music and more new music. It wasn't there!

From my feelings, I think that Jon looks tired and may needs to stop. His energy to be able to do something important, appears gone, his spark is weak and his ability to bring it to us, is not as strong as it used to be, when he actually believed what he did.

It is a very nice album, probably because Jean Luc's old band is very good and tight ... but sadly, they support Jon, and Jon is not able to get up and over and about the band ... which he did in the early days.

Last edited by Moshkiae on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:44 pm 

Geez. Thanks for the honest review and for bringing me down and lowering my expectations. The set lists I've seen include Imaginary Voyage and Enigmatic Ocean. Worth it just for those 2. People expecting to hear new stuff obviously did not read the show description (see in previous post). "They revisit the music they created." We'll see.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:11 pm 

I'd go without hesitation, cozy. This show came my way in December but I was too busy with work. I hope they come back.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:34 am 

KUIII wrote:
I'd go without hesitation, cozy. This show came my way in December but I was too busy with work. I hope they come back.

It's worth seeing, and in some ways, this is better than the version of YES running around. You don't have a Steve Howe, but you don't need it, and the stuff played is less electric guitar oriented.

I will re-write/review my words ... above ... it was not my intention to sound negative. I think I expected more, and when done listening, so be it ... time for something else, and that has never happened to me on any music by Jon Anderson, or YES. I supposed that after seeing Jean Luc with Return to Forever, with Corea, Clarke an such, it was a bit sad to see something like this ... it did not feel challenging to Jean Luc, or my ears!