Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:11 pm 

Several minutes after I positioned myself near the front centre of the Commodore’s GA floor (probably 5th row), ZPZ opened with Montana, from the perennial favourite Over-nite Sensation. And they, especially drummer Ryan Brown, set the course for a very memorable night. A mind-ripping Sheik Yerbouti mini-set followed with Baby Snakes & I’m So Cute, which suited Ryan’s heavy snare-pounding drumming style perfectly! KILLER solos from Scheila in A Pound For A Brown left everyone in awe. Instead of playing One Size Fits All in its entirety at the (near) beginning of the show, like they have for most of this tour, they decided to play it towards the middle of the show here. This might be something they’ll do for the rest of the dates this year? Anyway, as an intro for the album performance, the Star Wars theme was performed but halted after the first few bars because Dweezil’s equipment wasn’t working properly. However, they nailed it on the second attempt. Inca Roads just fucking floored me - it was simply jaw-dropping! I don’t think I could accurately describe each member’s performance of it. And I especially enjoyed it because they hadn’t played this tune since the first year. Po-Jama People was off the hook. And getting to hear ZPZ sing Sofa No. 2 in German was pretty cool. The audience pretty much sang along to just about every song with lyrics, as did I. I was impressed by this and so was Dweezil. Chris Norton & Dweezil were a little too undermixed in Sinister Footwear II during certain parts, but it was fantastic to hear it regardless, especially Dweezil‘s parts, in which I could tell he was in an extreme mode of concentration. Lyrically, Ben knocked out The Evil Prince (which, apart from the solo, was recorded here at the QE Theatre in ‘84 and released on YCDTOSA, Vol. 4) quite well but I could tell he was annoyed with a few fans near him when they gave him the “we’re not worthy” bows. However, it was a real treat to hear this one. The encore began with a hilarious atonal version of Happy Birthday for bassist, Kurt Morgan…in which it had the entire band singing in different keys…ROTF! The 135 minute set ended with the usual encore closer, Muffin Man. And after taking their final bows, Dweezil said, “We’ll see you very soon.” Indicating that next year’s 50th Anniversary tour of Freak Out! would make a stop here. And you know I’ll be there!

The merch situation SUCKED HARD. As soon as I arrived, there were only two tour shirts left. One XL and one small. There were NO Roxy: The Movie DVDs/CDs, nor were there any 200 Motels: The Suites available. And the CDs that were there, including older ZFT titles & Dance Me This, were $30 each! I was willing to spend $80 on merch and would up spending nothing! I looked at the merch guy with a “wtf?!” look on my face. Some one dropped the ball big time. They probably could’ve made close to $1,000 more on merch, since there were several other fans behind me probably wondering the same thing. This show didn’t sell as well as expected, as the attendance was only around 650 (they virtually sold out the Commodore’s 1,000 capacity the past two times through town) This was probably due to the fact that there were several others major events in town this past weekend (King Crimson & Roger Hodgson both played two shows), The Grey Cup (the Canadian version of the Super Bowl) was on TV earlier that afternoon, our soccer team, The White Caps, had a home game at BC Place Stadium, and of course it was Black Friday, etc. Nearly two years had passed since ZPZ played Vancouver. This show was the seventh time in ZPZ’s nine year touring history that they’ve played here.

SETLIST:

Nov. 29
Vancouver, BC
Commodore Ballroom

8:20 pm

Montana
Baby Snakes
I'm So Cute
A Pound For A Brown
Star Wars Theme (false start)
Star Wars Theme

One Size Fits All in its entirety:

Inca Roads
Can't Afford No Shoes
Sofa
Po-Jama People
Florentine Pogen
Evelyn, A Modified Dog
San Ber'dino
Andy
Sofa No. 2

The Evil Prince
Sinister Footwear II
Dancin' Fool
Drum Solo
Apostrophe (')

Happy Birthday (an incredibly hilarious atonal version for Kurt Morgan)
I'm The Slime
Cosmik Debris
Muffin Man

10:35 pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:45 am 

nice review
889 out of 990 sold for this one, + (a few) comps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:49 pm 

chumcloud wrote:
nice review

Thanks.

chumcloud wrote:
889 out of 990 sold for this one, + (a few) comps

I see. Thanks. This makes more sense. I thought my own estimate seemed low. But that estimate was based on checking ticketmaster's site the evening of the show, which still had the "blue" colour on the interactive seating chart. And as far as I know, since the Commodore's capacity is 990, wouldn't that mean "dark blue" = 0-329 tix sold; "blue" = 330-659 tix sold; & "light blue" = 660-990 tix sold? Though, I suppose the colour scheme could represent other total quantities sold. Otherwise, walk-up sales must've been unusually high on top of the tix already sold in the last 90 minutes before the show that night - which would be possible but highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:36 pm 

great review, thanks

stopped at the warfield box office on my way home tonite & scored tix for zpz for this saturday night

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:10 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
great review, thanks

Never a problem.

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
stopped at the warfield box office on my way home tonite & scored tix for zpz for this saturday night

Excellent. If you review it, I'll look forward to reading it... :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:29 pm 

Hi,

Glad to see this.

When I saw ZPZ last, it was in Eugene and they opened for "Return to Forever" (with Jean Luc too!!!!), and I think that ZPZ was intimidated, and they did not put on a good show. On top of it, Dweezil kissed one musician and left the other who HAD PLAYED in at least one of his father's albums. I think that kharma got him, because ZPZ was so out-classed as to sound like a cheap band ... and the only thing that Dweezil could fall back on, was some kind of rock star routines ... here is my solo ... eat it! Here eat some more!

I went to see them because I had bought the video and it was great ... but this show was not that great. Maybe they were tired ... or something, and some Jujuka BS Local Band of Morons should have opened for them!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:53 am 

setlist, dec 5
san francisco, warfield theater

8:15 pm

montana
baby snakes
i'm so cute
a pound for a brown
star wars theme

one size fits all in its entirety:

inca roads
can't afford no shoes
sofa
po-jama people
florentine pogen
evelyn, a modified dog
san ber'dino
andy
sofa no. 2

shoutout to kapt. kiirk

grand wazoo part 1
audience participation [gary coleman]
grand wazoo part 2

the evil prince
dancin' fool
sinister footwear ii
short drum solo
apostrophe (')

cosmik debris [with special guest james santiago on guitar]
zomby woof [with special guest jay golden on electric violin]
muffin man

11:10 pm

[review to follow]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:53 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
setlist, dec 5
san francisco, warfield theater

8:15 pm

montana
baby snakes
i'm so cute
a pound for a brown
star wars theme

one size fits all in its entirety:

inca roads
can't afford no shoes
sofa
po-jama people
florentine pogen
evelyn, a modified dog
san ber'dino
andy
sofa no. 2

shoutout to kapt. kiirk

grand wazoo part 1
audience participation [gary coleman]
grand wazoo part 2

the evil prince
dancin' fool
sinister footwear ii
short drum solo
apostrophe (')

cosmik debris [with special guest james santiago on guitar]
zomby woof [with special guest jay golden on electric violin]
muffin man

11:10 pm

[review to follow]

Holy fuck....a nearly 3 hour show?! The Grand Wazoo (& Gary Coleman audience participation bit) must've been an incredibly long version?! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:21 pm 

Where's your review, slime?!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:26 am 

zpz rolled thru san francisco for one show at the warfield where they appeared on their very first tour back in '06 with nappy/vai/bozzio; no alumni this time and the show was better in many ways... great venue, not a bad seat in the house, acoustics are sweet & dweezil had it dialed-in perfectly; the crowd of zappa freaks & mangy hippies were all stoked up for the show, many had brought along friends who were not too familiar with zappa, noticed there wasn't as many young fans as previous shows ... heaps of combustible vapors wafting around, also saw lots of doper vape pens whipped out ... chuckin the clouds in san fran

the band has come a long way since that 1st tour, they no longer play the songs note-for-note like the record; from the opening bars of montana, the band was spewing out versions of these songs that kept the audience's attention from start to finish ... they were having fun on stage, the whole band seemed far more chilled than any previous tour; respect, mon, to the lead singer, he nailed almost every tune, and he had a huge range of vocalist styles covered, from george duke to johnny guitar watson to bozzio to rick lancelotti to beefheart & back to frank, his interpretations were spot-on; he also proved to be a fine trombonist, 'specially on grand wazoo, great solo ... same with the drummer, he wasn't flashy, he just chewed up song after song with ease and gave each soloist a special boost

pound for a brown was a monster, the rhythm section laid down a driving beat for some awesome solos by the other band members, dweezil hit his stride and kept cranking up the heat on guitar, then they knocked out the entire osfa album; the dweez has really come a long way since the first tour, plays the guitar with confidence, not afraid to take chances, he pulls it off for the most part; big fat solos on inca roads & andy, rockin out on pojama people & shoes, he's got that nasty zappa tone & feedback dialed right in

a highlite for me was apostrophe, the bass solo was slippin & slidin between straight ahead rock and funked out slap with a few well-placed jazz licks thrown in for good measure ... the 3-way jam - drums, bass & guitar - almost stole the show

evil prince was kinda weak, didn't really fit into the setlist and it seemed the band lost some momentum; the lead singer was originally a theatrical performer and this song was presumably right up his alley ... anyway, they quickly picked up the pace again on sinister footwear with a too-short drum solo

grand wazoo was outstanding, the horn parts were exceptional, with fantastic guitar & keyboard solos; the 2 special guest were a nice surprise, mr. santiago played a mean blues style extended solo on cosmic debris, then had a bit of a duel with dweezil ... the violin player was interesting on zomby woof, started out his solo with a good imitation of vai's solo, then loosened up and showed what he could do

merch table was well-stocked, over a dozen cd choices, plenty of t-shirts, plenty of swag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:18 pm 

Very nice review, slime! Thank you! :)