Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:00 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
hmm
what seems to be restricting his fretboard freedom?

Having seen two live shows I have yet to notice any such restriction to Dweezil's Fretboard Freedom.
Nowhere in the composers design did it ever state that Dweezil is missing anyhing.
Could Dweezil at some point perform some of the written guitar and sitar parts? Sure
But in the same token he could also let this evolve the way many ZPZ hybrid arrangements have.

In speaking of solos, Frank had various forms of solos that he would play. From what I am hearing and seeing, Dweeezil folowed suit. No need for anyone to overtly criticize what Dweezil or the band is doing, but as it is, some folks just continue to let the spin doctored garden of negativity grow.

Outside of Personan Non Grata, Theme From The Third Movement...., I don't ever remember Frank performing any written parts. In the case of the theme from the third movemnet, Frank's October 27, 1978 performance from the Palladium became part of the written score but that was never used in the second movement.

As far as Rock Band Arrangements from the second movement. Steve Vai did perform two written parts on Strat and Sitar, but Frank clearly had different arrangements of the Second Movement of Sinister Footwear. The difficult written parts used in Wild Love, I beleive Frank performing, or lack there of, was also absent from that. So very much of what Vai did, had never been entirely been replicated by guitar and sitar. Frank made drastic arrangement changes for 88'. The arrangement from Make A Jazz Noise Here is quite different than what the 81/82 band was doing.

I will admit to having a desire for Dweezil to bring in FZs Halloween 1981 video footage, where they each take a solo, but Dweezil is doing a fine solo allready. I'd also be thrilled if Dweezil would play a 4 minute solo in that style. There is something about FZs Halloween 81' solo that is a desert island must for me, that solo emulates to the heavens, it's as if Orion's Belt hit the listener upside the head. Ancient Alien Territory. The beautiful mystery of music.

From what I had seen Dweeezil is doing short intro solo then a long solo. Quite happy Dweezil does not overindulge in strat wammmy abuse. FZs solo on Them Or Us seems more of a product of the 82 period than the 81 period. I don't normally have preferences or go against the composers releases but in general the 81' Halloween solo and what Dweezil is currently doing better suits my taste.

In conclussion I boldly state that the ZPZ perfoprmance is nothing short of N'Lightening.
Like many of FZs compositions, over time, ZPZ could do different arrangements and solos.
I thoroughly enjoyed what they are currently doing.
And But Also, I have an optimistic view of where the band can take it.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:01 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
hmm

Having seen two live shows I have yet to notice any such restriction to Dweezil's Fretboard Freedom.
Nowhere in the composers design did it ever state that Dweezil is missing anyhing.
Could Dweezil at some point perform some of the written guitar and sitar parts? Sure
But in the same token he could also let this evolve the way many ZPZ hybrid arrangements have.

In speaking of solos, Frank had various forms of solos that he would play. From what I am hearing and seeing, Dweeezil folowed suit. No need for anyone to overtly criticize what Dweezil or the band is doing, but as it is, some folks just continue to let the spin doctored garden of negativity grow.

Outside of Personan Non Grata, Theme From The Third Movement...., I don't ever remember Frank performing any written parts. In the case of the theme from the third movemnet, Frank's October 27, 1978 performance from the Palladium became part of the written score but that was never used in the second movement.

As far as Rock Band Arrangements from the second movement. Steve Vai did perform two written parts on Strat and Sitar, but Frank clearly had different arrangements of the Second Movement of Sinister Footwear. The difficult written parts used in Wild Love, I beleive Frank performing, or lack there of, was also absent from that. So very much of what Vai did, had never been entirely been replicated by guitar and sitar. Frank made drastic arrangement changes for 88'. The arrangement from Make A Jazz Noise Here is quite different than what the 81/82 band was doing.

I will admit to having a desire for Dweezil to bring in FZs Halloween 1981 video footage, where they each take a solo, but Dweezil is doing a fine solo allready. I'd also be thrilled if Dweezil would play a 4 minute solo in that style. There is something about FZs Halloween 81' solo that is a desert island must for me, that solo emulates to the heavens, it's as if Orion's Belt hit the listener upside the head. Ancient Alien Territory. The beautiful mystery of music.

From what I had seen Dweeezil is doing short intro solo then a long solo. Quite happy Dweezil does not overindulge in strat wammmy abuse. FZs solo on Them Or Us seems more of a product of the 82 period than the 81 period. I don't normally have preferences or go against the composers releases but in general the 81' Halloween solo and what Dweezil is currently doing better suits my taste.

In conclussion I boldly state that the ZPZ perfoprmance is nothing short of N'Lightening.
Like many of FZs compositions, over time, ZPZ could do different arrangements and solos.
I thoroughly enjoyed what they are currently doing.
And But Also, I have an optimistic view of where the band can take it.

Dweezil himself said that he was still learning his parts for Sinister II. Because the tune is so awesome they were going to play it without the composed guitar parts anyways.
Not being critical or negative. Just looking forward to it being that much better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:43 pm 

RobRay wrote:
Dweezil himself said that he was still learning his parts for Sinister II. Because the tune is so awesome they were going to play it without the composed guitar parts anyways.
Not being critical or negative. Just looking forward to it being that much better.

+1 and but also, that sounds about right without spewing any negativity anywhere at anytime for no reason at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:41 pm 

KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
and but also

Be original, please. :wink: :mrgreen: and yuk yuk

They should have played 'Marqueson's'. (there I go again) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:07 am 

RobRay wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
hmm

@ Rob Ray,

It's so very nice of you to chime in and put your initial question and Dweezil's commentary into context.

While it should be fairly elementary to comprehend DZs desire to play the written guitar parts
it should be by no means anyone's fodder to give a lack of respect to what Dweezil or the band is doing.
When I initially read your question it did not get my radar going but it seems to be a leading
question to lapsed maps commentary.

But in giving credence to Dweezil's Fretboard Freedom.

DZs guitar instruction courses, and but also, his new record, had certainly been occupying a very large amount of his time
before the tour commenced. For him to even have learned the new material and develop his solos, not only in notes but in his Tone-Meisterment, Dweezil's performance standard has been nothing short of amazing.

My eyes read into laps maps commentary as being condescending in nature.
In it's 10th year of touring Dweezil and the Zappa Plays Zappa band are clearly the pinnacle of live Zappa rock ensemble performance. More times than not ZPZs performances surpass the composers live performance standards. Hopefully at some point we can have and audio and visual database of the 400plus songs/arrangements the band has performed.
While the market may not bear Dweezil's ability to currently tour with larger ensembles, the weight factor of ZPZs achievements
in their touring and rehearsal periods is nothing short of hitting the highest standards possible.

When a man is on top there is always someone trying to shoot him down.
When a person comes along and throws arrows, it's quite unfortunate that an uneducated reader or listener
could get the wrong impression of what the band is doing. For those of us that continue to support these live shows. We are rewarded with the times of our lives. The special guest scenarios that come along. How these guests get up there, that too is some kind of wonderful. Will Sinister Footwear evolve?..... I think a very good portion of concert attendees have a raised sense of awareness of what the band has done, what the band is currently doing and have their giant monolith minds tuned into the next summer's solstice.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:42 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
My eyes read into laps maps commentary as being condescending in nature.

That's not possible, because you know...

There's a big difference between *a young man* kneeling down and *an old man* bending over!

lapsed maps

Trendmonger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:28 am 

^So Trendy's into yoga?

It's very healthy, ya know?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:21 pm 

DZ doesn't need an apologist for him. If you don't like his style thats your prerogative, and but also, a concept that seems to elude the ever devoted but well meaning long winded Trendy.
There will always be folks that don't dig Dweezils every move. It happens to the best of them, whether they're on "top" or not. There's nothing you can do about it, it's human nature and will give you ulcers for what? Caring too much about a musician who you pay to see play and then pay more too once a year to camp with? He could hire a publicist just on what you put out in money to answer all these mistaken folks misbegotten and foregone conclusions. It's not your j.o.b.. It'll just bring you heartache.

BTW, who throws arrows? Ya shoot the damn things, always aiming for the heart and a quick kill. Bad analogy imho.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:08 pm 

KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
DZ doesn't need an apologist for him. .

You've clearly lost something in translation.
In no way, shape or form am I appologizing about anything.
Having just watched the House of Blues show I remain steadfast that Zappa Plays Zappa
performs the music better. In no way do I think every person on God's Grey Earth must adhere to the same opinion
but when some folks display their condecending comementary, that is far beyound an individual having a lack of taste.

Fortunately some folks have an understanding that ZPZ not only play the music incredibly well,

" I was totally blown away by what that band did. Tottaly blown away by Dweezil, who has become an incredible guitarist now. I mean the first time I head him play, I thought he was OK.Techincally he was OK, he played all..., but he's turned... he's turned that around, he's another level of guitarist now. Because they played the music incredibly well. Better Than I Think We Played It!" - George Duke

Zappa Plays Zappa 2010 - Uncle Remus -
George Duke Memorial http://youtu.be/XIE57gCyKTM

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:10 pm 

Vegas

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26578&bookmark=1&hash=94d2e629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:27 pm 

For anyone wondering about Dweezil Zappa's Fretboard Freedom.
Pointedly how it is used in live performance.

Tonight's show at the House of Blues, Dallas Texas has some fine examples.
One example is DZs 2nd guitar solo in The Grand Wazoo.

Dweezl instructs the band and it develops into a Fretboard Freeedom solo section.

- Kurt Morgan(Bass) plays in 11(Plays lying down)
- Ryan Brown(Drums) Plays in 13
- Chris Norton(Keys) Plays in 7
- Ben Thomas(Jaw Harp) Plays in 5
- Scheila Gonzalez(Sax) Plays in 9
- Dweezil Zappa - Fretboard Freedom Solo

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:45 pm 

DZW must be real sparse with the Brits, EU and most of us here on other Zappa and social media sites, for you to be over here preaching to the choir Trendy. I'll say this, you are steadfast and true to all things Dweezil Zappa if they're done the way you think, he thinks they should be done.

Great show on Yahoo. It's repeating right now.

Whatsamatta? No one else to play with on DZW? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:46 pm 

Time for a setlist, I think.

House Of Blues-Dallas, TX
4/29/2015

One Size Fits All in its entirety:

Inca Roads
Can't Afford No Shoes
Sofa
Po-Jama People
Florentine Pogen
Evelyn, a Modified Dog
San Ber'dino
Andy
Sofa No. 2

Set 2:

Carolina Hardcore Ecstacy
Status Back Baby
Big Leg Emma
The Grand Wazoo
Montana
Baby Snakes
I'm So Cute
Society Pages
Magic Fingers
Son of Suzy Creamcheese
Who Needs the Peace Corps?
What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body?
My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama
Sinister Footwear II

Zomby Woof
Cosmik Debris
Dancin' Fool
Muffin Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:46 pm 

I really enjoyed watching the Dallas show last night. Too bad Dweezil's equipment wasn't working properly at the very beginning of Inca Roads. I especially enjoyed Sinister Footwear II and Scheila's lying-down-while-playing-her-alto-saxophone-backwards solo during the variations in The Grand Wazoo. ZPZ sounded tighter than tight!

Also, I think it was longer than probably any other show on this tour thus far, clocking in at 2 hours and 45 minutes...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:39 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
I really enjoyed watching the Dallas show last night. Too bad Dweezil's equipment wasn't working properly at the very beginning of Inca Roads. I especially enjoyed Sinister Footwear II and Scheila's lying-down-while-playing-her-alto-saxophone-backwards solo during the variations in The Grand Wazoo. ZPZ sounded tighter than tight!

Also, I think it was longer than probably any other show on this tour thus far, clocking in at 2 hours and 45 minutes...

I really enjoyed it too. It was almost like seeing two shows in a week. Being there live beats it of course as was the Vegas show for me. Very different too. DZ had some rig troubles at that show too. Rachel Flowers made up for any hiccups. The only odd thing with the Yahoo show was Ben wooing that older (almost dead) cougar. Silly git. Chris Norton really shined through as did they all. Tight is right. It looked like DZ was proud of his rockin teenage combo...as well he should be. 8) :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:26 pm 

KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

I really enjoyed it too. It was almost like seeing two shows in a week. Being there live beats it of course as was the Vegas show for me. Very different too. DZ had some rig troubles at that show too. Rachel Flowers made up for any hiccups. The only odd thing with the Yahoo show was Ben wooing that older (almost dead) cougar. Silly git. Chris Norton really shined through as did they all. Tight is right. It looked like DZ was proud of his rockin teenage combo...as well he should be. 8) :D

I teared up when they played sofa and sofa 2 :oops:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:43 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
For anyone wondering about Dweezil Zappa's Fretboard Freedom...

How about Carlos Santana's secret chord progression while we're at it?
lapsed maps wrote:
hmm

Good one.

Didn't Elton John have a song called Phretboard Freedom?
Or was it Julian Lennon?

I'd like to see Julian Lennon tour The Imagine album.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:45 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
For anyone wondering about Dweezil Zappa's Fretboard Freedom...

How about Carlos Santana's secret chord progression while we're at it?
lapsed maps wrote:
hmm

Good one.

Didn't Elton John have a song called Phretboard Freedom?
Or was it Julian Lennon?

I'd like to see Julian Lennon tour The Imagine album.

I think Elton was more of a fratboy freedom kinda guy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:22 am 

May 1st
Emo's - Austin,TX

Inca Roads
Can't Afford No Shoes
Sofa
Po-Jama People
Florentine Pogen
Evelyn, a Modified Dog
San Ber'dino
Andy
Sofa No. 2

Set 2:

Dirty Love
Status Back Baby
Big Leg Emma
The Grand Wazoo(Pink Floyd 'Money' snippet)
Montana
Baby Snakes
I'm So Cute
Society Pages
Son of Suzy Creamcheese
Sinister Footwear II

Zomby Woof (w/James Santiago)
Cosmik Debris(w/Eric Johnson)
Dancin' Fool
Muffin Man

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:08 pm 

ZPZ in Austin last night w/ James Santiago on Zomby Woof...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgP4ZQyX60

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:37 pm 

coevad wrote:
Apr. 25th
Brooklyn Bowl
Las Vegas, NV

Inca Roads
Can't Afford No Shoes
Sofa
Po-Jama People
Florentine Pogen
Evelyn, a Modified Dog
San Ber'dino
Andy
Sofa No. 2

Set 2

Status Back Baby
Big Leg Emma
The Grand Wazoo
Baby Snakes
I'm So Cute
Society Pages
Magic Fingers
Son of Suzy Creamcheese
Sinister Footwear II

Dirty Love
Cosmik Debris
Dancin' Fool
Muffin man

Inca Roads w/ Rachel Flowers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDWY4laeVqU

Montana (which should apparently be before Status Back Baby in the setlist above) w/ Rachel Flowers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvBMHXLGms

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT! :shock:

Last edited by Disco Boy on Sat May 02, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:58 pm 

Thanks for the links DB. 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:31 pm 

Awesome... :!:

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:34 am 

Plook wrote:
Awesome... :!:

+1 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:58 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
coevad wrote:
Apr. 25th
Brooklyn Bowl
Las Vegas, NV

Inca Roads
Can't Afford No Shoes
Sofa
Po-Jama People
Florentine Pogen
Evelyn, a Modified Dog
San Ber'dino
Andy
Sofa No. 2

Set 2

Status Back Baby
Big Leg Emma
The Grand Wazoo
Baby Snakes
I'm So Cute
Society Pages
Magic Fingers
Son of Suzy Creamcheese
Sinister Footwear II

Dirty Love
Cosmik Debris
Dancin' Fool
Muffin man

Inca Roads w/ Rachel Flowers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDWY4laeVqU

Montana (which should apparently be before Status Back Baby in the setlist above) w/ Rachel Flowers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvBMHXLGms

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT! :shock:

That's even better than I remember it. Of course, with Plook feeding me a steady diet of Jaeger Bombs the last quarter of the show you'll have to forgive my foggy memory. Just say no, boys and girls! Right, Kapt. Kiirk? :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next