Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:11 pm 

April 8
Northampton, MA
Calvin Theatre

One Size Fits All in its entirety:

Inca Roads
Can't Afford No Shoes
Sofa
Po-Jama People
Florentine Pogen
Evelyn, a Modified Dog
San Ber'dino
Andy
Sofa No. 2
(no set break or intermission)
Status Back Baby
Big Leg Emma
The Grand Wazoo
Baby Snakes
I'm So Cute
Society Pages
Magic Fingers
Son of Suzy Creamcheese
Who Needs the Peace Corps?
What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body?
My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama
Sinister Footwear II

Encore:

Cosmik Debris
Dancin' Fool
Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy
Muffin Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:41 pm 

just got home such a good show wooow just amazing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:47 pm 

i would hope they change the 2nd part of the setlist to diff songs. after a while im thinkiing these songs would burn out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:54 am 

bungles wrote:
i would hope they change the 2nd part of the setlist to diff songs. after a while im thinkiing these songs would burn out.

They seem to be putting some effort into selecting songs that when played together the flow gives the sum some extra punch. When they played SLO last year while everyone (including myself) were not thrilled about the selections, when played together it yielded a very good show.

Bungles did you sense that flow in your show?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:20 am 

Cool - ticket for front stalls, 18th October at Festival Hall London in the bag...
TT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:49 am 

yes the flo was great it did really bring it all together

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:25 am 

bungles wrote:

Did you run into Ed Mann? There's a photo of him on facebook hangin' with the band after the show. They had an after jam, too.

That's all I got.

update: ZPZ members did an after hours jam with Z3, featuring Ed Mann.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:52 pm 

April 9
Portland, ME
State Theatre

Inca Roads
Can't Afford No Shoes
Sofa
Po-Jama People
Florentine Pogen
Evelyn, a Modified Dog
San Ber'dino
Andy
Sofa No. 2

Set 2:

Peaches En Regalia
Status Back Baby
Big Leg Emma
The Grand Wazoo
Baby Snakes
I'm So Cute
Society Pages
Magic Fingers
Son of Suzy Creamcheese
Sinister Footwear II

Encore:

Cosmik Debris
Dancin' Fool
Muffin Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:51 pm 

coevad wrote:
bungles wrote:

Did you run into Ed Mann? There's a photo of him on facebook hangin' with the band after the show. They had an after jam, too.

That's all I got.

update: ZPZ members did an after hours jam with Z3, featuring Ed Mann.

Nope we went to the wrong bar. They played at bishops lounge "Tonight we get a lil Zappa with the Beau Sasser trio ft. Ed mann!" no ed mann sighting at show. But we did sit couple of seats over from murph Dino jr. Drummer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:39 am 

Glad they added Peaches after OSFA. Status Back Baby, while very cool to hear live, was a tad anti-climactic. Peaches would be a much better follow up to Sofa. Really I'm shocked they open the show with OSFA. To me, Inca Roads is just... too much to open a show with, should be built up to I think. Plus Sofa would have been an amazing way to end the main set. Upon looking at what they did play, Sinister Footwear (which was shocking to hear and absolutely AMAZING!) ending the main set and launching into Inca would have been absolutely mind blowing. I don't think you'd be able to walk after that!

As it stands, (I was at the Misery Saga show), the set was nice in terms of flow, it could have used more segues and smooth transitions though. One of the coolest moments for me, was after I'm So Cute, I was telling my friend how awesome it would be to launch into Society Pages>Beautiful Guy>Beauty Knows No Pain, for conceptual reasons, and for how awesome that run of songs is. When they actually did start Society Pages our mouths dropped and we could barely believe what we hearing! Unfortunately, as you guys know, they don't continue with that run of songs which would have tied in with I'm So Cute.
Of course hearing Grand Wazoo was an amazing shock as well. The band was great. My only suggestion for the band would be that they really need a second guitarist. Solo sections like Muffin Man and Sinister really lacked some crunchy distorted guitar holding down the riff. Having Ben play those themes on Trombone was a nice touch, but was definitely lacking the bite those vamps should have.
Other than that, some cool surprises in there that aren't spoiled by the set list, so I'll leave it at that!

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:33 am 
Banned

April 11
Glenside, PA
Keswick Theatre

Inca Roads
Can't Afford No Shoes
Sofa
Po-Jama People
Florentine Pogen
Evelyn, a Modified Dog
San Ber'dino
Andy
Sofa No. 2
(no set break or intermission)
Status Back Baby
Big Leg Emma
The Grand Wazoo
Baby Snakes
I'm So Cute
Society Pages
Magic Fingers
Son of Suzy Creamcheese
Sinister Footwear II

Encore:

Cosmik Debris
Dancin' Fool
Muffin Man (including Black Napkins tease)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:18 pm 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What, no review of the show?! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:44 pm 

April 12
Boston, MA
Berklee Performance Center

Inca Roads
Can't Afford No Shoes
Sofa
Po-Jama People
Florentine Pogen
Evelyn, a Modified Dog
San Ber'dino
Andy
Sofa No. 2

Set 2:

A Pound For A Brown
Status Back Baby
Big Leg Emma
The Grand Wazoo
Baby Snakes
I'm So Cute
Society Pages
Magic Fingers
Son of Suzy Creamcheese
Sinister Footwear II

Encore:

Cosmik Debris
Dancin' Fool
Montana
Muffin Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:27 am 
Banned

Disco Boy wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What, no review of the show?! :shock:

Been busy so here goes...
2 of my sons were with me again (both huge FZ fans.) This was the 9 year olds 2nd time and the 20 year olds 5th time seeing ZPZ. After the show DZ asked the 9 year old what his favorites songs of the nite were and he replied Pojama People, Baby Snakes and Black Napkins. DZ was impressed that he knew the tease was played during Muffin Man.

For me it marked both the 40th anniversary of an album in my top 5 FZ records and my 40th anniversary of being turned into a complete FZ maniac at the age of 7 by my uncle who gave me around 8 albums at the time. At that early age those records changed my life.

Anyway... Other than a couple of musical flubs and a couple missed vocal cues the Keswick really was a great show. As usual I can say that I can do without the early Mothers songs but I do understand why DZ includes them because he wants cover all eras of FZs history. I'm just glad they are short songs and don't take up too much of the set.
The highlights for me were Pojama People, Sinister Footwear 2, Magic Fingers, The Grand Wazoo and Carolina Hardcore (although I was disappointed that the solo was kinda short but still killer.)

It was really great hanging with DZ again of course (I've know him for 24 years now) and talking with my buddy Chuck Ash (that's right THE Chuck Ash). I also had a nice chat with our one and only Trendmonger. We had met once before at one of Atlantic City shows a couple of years ago. I know this will come as a huge surprise to many of you who may not know but I said it before and I'll say it again... His posts here do drive me completely insane sometimes and we sure have had our battles, but in all honesty in person Gary is a really nice guy and cool to talk to. Like me he is an FZ freak and does know his shit. Our opinions just drastically differ on a few things and this does not make him a bad guy.

Here's a treat for you all. Now and Then with me and DZ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:31 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Been busy so here goes...

Excellent!
TT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:26 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

Thanks for sharing the Now and Then photos Johny. Very nice treat. Unfortunately I did not have time for aftershow. The other guys wanted to get back to NYC. We had arrived early in the day and attended DZs Master Class. As I had mentioned, my friends son is a drummer in a boy band. This was his first live Zappa expreience. Considering he loves Chester Thomson's work with Genesis, it's puzzling that it took him this long to connect with Zappa music. It was his dads second ZPZ show. The Roxy & One Size ZPZ tours were amazing initiation ceremonies for my buddy Mikey. They both had a great time at the show. I find it ironic that my friends son is intersted into bringing polyrythms into his works. I've seen his band and heard his disks. The music he and his band play is so very template orientated, I find it hard to listen to an entire record more than once, but if even the smallest aspect of adventurism can be brought in, if this music has an impact, that is a building block, that is a good thing.

Guess that is why I appreciate the early Mothers material. Surely the 70s and 80s material is more adventurous, but I find something very interesting in anything Frank had ever released, but then again, I was listening to the stuff chronologically. I was fortunate to hear it as it came along. How FZ put quotes of Debusy and Stravinsky in Status Back Baby. The contrast that is going on is what I get out of it. On Freak Out, Who Are The Brain Police. even the overall compositional aspects of FZs so called simpler works always have something to raise the hair on the back of the listeners head. I use these two as brief examples, but in it's time there was nothing like it. I don't think anything in the catalouge will ever seem too dated. I hope to see Freak Out in It's entirelty. 50 Years next year. I have no problem generalizing that the overall composition of Status Back Baby is not on the same plane, as let's say even the early stages of the development of Sinister Footwear. What we hear of the 2nd Movement in Wild Love. The building aspects of compositions like Sinister Footwear, we can hear how that is far more difficult and deep rooted in FZs serious music approach, even in it's earliest development, but still the composer was doing things with early pop orientated material that was out there. Even all the recordings before Freak Out move me. To each there own, Surely it's not all for everyone, but I try my best to stay glued to my seat. If I were to miss a second of any Zappa concert I'd feel I was missing something. Maybe the Status Back Baby portion of the show is the best time for some folks to go use the restroom, but even if they played, for example, I Don't Even Care, I'd have a hard time getting away from the Johny Guitar Watson aspects. Every composition in the catalog is a meal well served. I've never been dissapointed with how ZPZ peforms FZs music.

In regards to the master Class, there were adecational aspects that DZ is teaching that transpond to drums. The groupings of notes on strings or transcribing your telephone number to guitar note groupings. Surely that could be applied to drums. Being that Frank started on drums there are things going on that come from a different approach to the typical scale approach. A life long drummer of about 35 years sat in front of me at the show. In the last decade he has been playing guitar. The Master Class clearly made an impact on him. I've always been intrigued by FZs and DZs approach to soloing. The students all had a great time.

Guess it's never too late for the younger generation to be turned on to Frank. One of my buddy's son's fans came up to him at the show. Her dad taken her to the ZPZ show. It's amazing how fans of all types of music are having the opportunity to hear Frank's works. Clearly your sons are having a great time. I've taken my gorls to some shows. Wish I could do it more but this season we ticketed to take the family to see Beatles Tribute Rain and the Beach Boys/America show. I try to expose my kids to a diversity of music. The hard core Zappa lifetyle is clearly rubbing off but it's clear from our conversations that your kids are interested in lots of music. It's always a pleasure to meet up with you and your family.

In conclusion I would like to talk a little bit about Glenside, PA and the Keswick. Lovely town. Took a nice walk around after having really good angus burgers at The Keswick Pub. Next time back I have to get a haircut at an Old School Barber that is down the block. They have the turning Barbisol and chairs that look circa 1940. Keswick Theater, while the seats and theater could use big time restoration the upstairs lobby has all the charm of a classic theater. The security staff and overall experience was amazing. Looking forward to gettign back there. Hope you and your family can meet up for dinner next time. You are all great in my book.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:59 am 

jaypfunk, all jokes and ribbing aside...
quality review/pics + some interesting news to me.
thank you for that.

and now
back to our regularly scheduled programming... FUCK YOU, COCKJAWS!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:13 pm 
Banned

lapsed maps wrote:
jaypfunk, all jokes and ribbing aside...
quality review/pics + some interesting news to me.
thank you for that.

and now
back to our regularly scheduled programming... FUCK YOU, COCKJAWS!!

which part?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:28 pm 

Well done by the East Coast Boys... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:50 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
which parts?

your sons are fans - especially the/a 9 year old. that is great.
1 of your favorite/in the top 5 fz records (yes, i am interested in favorites. *list geek*).
you have known dz for 24 years. sidenote: you really do look stoked in that recent pic.
you do not let an online personna ruin what could be (is?) a great friendship (see: with trendmonger).

odds are you have covered all of this here.
i just... have not stumbled upon any of it thus far.

quality post none the less.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:02 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

I can tell just by looking at the picture that the music is terrible. Nice mullet.
8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:32 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

I can tell just by looking at the picture that the music is terrible. Nice mullet.
8)

The aptly named "downer " strikes again.

Jaypfunk - I have a totally new perception of you. I don't know whether it's deserved or not but I do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:10 pm 

Great review & pics, jaypfunk! :D It comes as a big surprise to me that you would even agree to meet Trendmonger in person. Initially, as soon as I read that you met him, I for sure thought you'd dress him down immediately.

And I think this is the very first time I've read a Trendmonger post in its entirety. :shock:

Last edited by Disco Boy on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:16 pm 

April 14
Alexandria, VA
The Birchmere

Inca Roads
Can't Afford No Shoes
Sofa
Po-Jama People
Florentine Pogen
Evelyn, a Modified Dog
San Ber'dino
Andy
Sofa No. 2

Set 2:

Status Back Baby
Big Leg Emma
The Grand Wazoo
Baby Snakes
I'm So Cute
Society Pages
Magic Fingers
Son of Suzy Creamcheese
Sinister Footwear II

Encore:

Cosmik Debris
Dancin' Fool
Montana
Muffin Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:53 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
It comes as a big surprise to me that you would even agree to meet Trendmonger in person.

Surely a sign that world peace is not unrealistic after all...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next