Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: YOGURT Plays Zappa
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:48 am 

If I may add upon my hopes of this project evolving. A local based show such as this lends itself to expanding exposure to unique arrangements. For example, the 78' arrangement of Village Of The Sun. If Zappa Plays Zappa were to do a tour that focused on unique arrangements the promoters may have a hard time with that. Not that this bands premiere solely focused on unique arrangements but I ponder the band expanding on such. A residency in a local club lends itself to such. Miles Davis worked in this way, he would set up shop in a club and develop a new project.

So here is hopes to where this group of musicians could focus on unique arrangements that were rare and or never reached the masses. Maybe some unique arrangements never had a home of fidelity so to speak. Maybe this band could not only give unique arrangements a workout, and but also, get recorded so the material can get exposed with a sense of fidelity.

Just looking at some of the photos, looking at Gail and the musicians. The sense of deep love for the music is clear. I hope that Gail and the band can take this to the next level. Maybe a project that puts FZs recording and this bands packaged together. The next level of audio documentary.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:26 am 

The fact that Kurt said 'debut' of Yogurt tells us there will be more shows. ZPZ tours permitting.

I think there is a good chance that some of these FZ selections will make it into the upcoming ZPZ setlists. Pete Jones is in L.A. now, and rehearsals started this past weekend.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:18 pm 

The return of:
YOGURT

June 4th, 2015
The Baked Potato
Los Angeles, CA
Come join us if you can!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:03 am 

^Thanks Joe!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:22 pm 

hey joe, don't take it personally, I don't know jack about YOGURT.
feel free to use in regard to annoying cover bands at your discretion:

We don't need no cover versions
We don't need no loss of control
No stark rendition from the classroom
Seekers, leave them tunes alone
Hey Seeker, leave them tunes alone
All in all it's just another kick in the balls
All in all you're just another hack without balls

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:54 am 

Wish I could be there to support this project.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:32 pm 

Shortest Trendmonger post ever?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:40 pm 

brainpang wrote:
hey joe, don't take it personally ... All in all you're just another hack without balls
How could one not take that personally? Seriously brainpang, I don't understand your need to do this kind of thing. Personally, I've never been a big concert goer, but we have a band in Adelaide called Läther that performs FZ compositions and I've been out to see them three times and they were very enjoyable nights out that I wouldn't have been able to have otherwise. If you don't like the idea don't go, but why so much angst towards those who do?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:48 pm 

^ Fuck Zappa reenactments, Poly.

If you love music stop killing it by being a clone.

Sorry Joe, but deep down you know it's true. You, too, Poly. Enough with the fucking remakes. Stop diluting what was once pure.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:03 pm 

If you love music listen to whatever the fuck you want to.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:28 pm 

^ Misses the point.

You don't see where this is going. Like all of the Hollywood film remakes. People wonder why. I know why. It eliminates the writer. Executive kind of guys don't want to pay a pain-in-the-ass writer. Unfortunately these executives can't write either. So...remakes. Nostalgia. Death. FZ already said it but I guess he was always shitting on everything?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:07 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
^ Misses the point.

You don't see where this is going. Like all of the Hollywood film remakes. People wonder why. I know why. It eliminates the writer. Executive kind of guys don't want to pay a pain-in-the-ass writer. Unfortunately these executives can't write either. So...remakes. Nostalgia. Death. FZ already said it but I guess he was always shitting on everything?

Yep, MORE subversiveness for the sake of being subversive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_LIR5ExIU

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:20 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

It's not even subversive. Certainly not conscious, deliberate subversiveness for it's own sake. That would never occur to me.

Nothing against Yogurt, btw. It's not as if that is all these guys do.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:34 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
^ Misses the point.

This misses the point by focussing on only one aspect and leaving out at least half of the equation.

Make a rule that musicians can only play their own original music, then all musicians, no matter what their particular talent for composing music will be forced to write music, a large amount of which probably should not otherwise have been written, for at the very least, probably not being that original anyway. Another dimension in this is, let's say a composer writes a piece of music for a 91 piece ensemble. He needs to find at least 90 other musicians willing to play someone else's composition, that is, not their own original music - oh wait a minute, you're not allowed to play music unless it's your own original composition. So logically we end up with a world full of one man bands playing original music as well as a number of bands who write collaboratively, where there's an upper limit on the number of members where sustainable cooperation can be maintained, leading to very limited performance possibilities of music, most of which would probably turn out to be crap.

The point about Frank Zappa's music or Stravinsky's music or whoever, is that these guys were relatively unique compositional geniuses, but nobody lives forever and many people like to listen to good quality live music. People wanting to play the music of inspired composers have not led to the production of mediocrity or the destruction of the music business, it's the suits with large amounts of money available in order to manipulate the system that have made possible the vast majority of individuals or bands that produce the dross that passes as original pop music that has flooded the music market today.

Frank Zappa liked to say, although he didn't invent the idea himself, and I'm only paraphrasing, that to test an idea you need to take it to it's logical extreme and see if still holds water. The fact is that there is a fundamental dichotomy between capable composers and capable performers and it's not one to one.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:51 am 

unique/original ≠ enjoyable

and good/quality...
don'tgetmestartedagain

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:36 am 

There should be no rules. If someone wants to cover a band's song(s) that's their decision. If I want to point out how empty and shallow some of these cover bands are, or how some only do it because it's the only way they can make money playing music, that's my business. To be a parasite who attaches it's name to the name of a much greater musician in an attempt to gain an audience/get paid is not noble or impressive.

I appreciate a good cover song. I certainly don't think that no one should ever play a cover. That's absurd. What I can't stand are all of these bands making a living (for years and years) playing another bands music. (again, I'm not talking about yogurt... although I don't think they are worth my time). Some of these bands even try to look like the musicians they are copying. It's pathetic and they suck.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:27 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
There should be no rules. If someone wants to cover a band's song(s) that's their decision. If I want to point out how empty and shallow some of these cover bands are, or how some only do it because it's the only way they can make money playing music, that's my business. To be a parasite who attaches it's name to the name of a much greater musician in an attempt to gain an audience/get paid is not noble or impressive.

I appreciate a good cover song. I certainly don't think that no one should ever play a cover. That's absurd. What I can't stand are all of these bands making a living (for years and years) playing another bands music. (again, I'm not talking about yogurt... although I don't think they are worth my time). Some of these bands even try to look like the musicians they are copying. It's pathetic and they suck.

downer. You should start a 'tribute bands that suck' thread to vent out all of your frustrations.

I do think the previous exchange was quite healthy for this thread, though.

It's also kinda tough for me to understand why anyone would not be into Joe Travers playing FZ music.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:59 am 

^ A thread where I talk to myself? No thanks.

I think I will shut up permanently about tribute bands. I've rubbed that shit into the ground.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:56 pm 

^ I concur.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:27 pm 

^ It wouldn't kill you to play a few original basslines once in a while, either.

Add something to the music....as opposed to taking away.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:19 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

It's not even subversive. Certainly not conscious, deliberate subversiveness for it's own sake. That would never occur to me.

Oh absolutely! I was referring to semi-conscious non-deliberate subversiveness of course! :roll:

downer mydnyte wrote:
There should be no rules. If someone wants to cover a band's song(s) that's their decision.

I appreciate a good cover song. I certainly don't think that no one should ever play a cover. That's absurd.

Oh...NOW you point this out! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:34 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
^ It wouldn't kill you to play a few original basslines once in a while, either.

Add something to the music....as opposed to taking away.

I try. Not much going on for me these days.

My last professional gig was Oct. 2013.

I should write some riffs and collaborate with some guitar friends in my area. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:53 pm 

Another amazing show by Yogurt last night. The mood was freaky-the band was tight.
I got there earlier this time. Scored the wall seat at the bar; overlooking where Plook and I sat for JT&F last year. I wished all you Cali people could have been there. Maybe someday. And maybe someday I'll stay for the second show. :mrgreen:

Scheila's Chicken

Village Of The Sun

More pics and the setlist later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:09 pm 

Dam I would have loved it!... :!:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:52 pm 

Plook wrote:
Dam I would have loved it!... :!:

+1 8) :)