Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 13298
Location: LumberTruckCentral
chumcloud wrote:
Here they are

11.29 Vancouver/Commodore
11.30 Portland/ Roseland
12.1 Seattle/Neptune
12.2 Missolua/Wilma
12.4 Reno/Cargo @ Whitney Peak
12.5 San Francisco/ Warfield
12.6 Sacramento/The Crest
12.8 Fresno/ Tower Theatre
12.9 Agoura Hills/ Canyon Club
12.10 Solana Beach/Belly Up
12.11 Los Angeles/ Saban Theatre
12.12 San Juan Capistrano/The Coach House

Fuckin' Coach House. Woooohooo! :D

The Saban Theatre will be cool. never been there. It's in Beverly Hills.

Thanx chumcloud!

_________________
ImageImage


Last edited by coevad on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 29478
Location: Somewhere in time
Woo hoo... :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 4990
Location: Vancouver, BC
chumcloud wrote:
Here they are

11.29 Vancouver/Commodore
11.30 Portland/ Roseland
12.1 Seattle/Neptune
12.2 Missolua/Wilma
12.4 Reno/Cargo @ Whitney Peak
12.5 San Francisco/ Warfield
12.6 Sacramento/The Crest
12.8 Fresno/ Tower Theatre
12.9 Agoura Hills/ Canyon Club
12.10 Solana Beach/Belly Up
12.11 Los Angeles/ Saban Theatre
12.12 San Juan Capistrano/The Coach House


Thank you!

I'm also very happy for Missoula, Montana fans! :D

_________________
"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 2756
DB, isn't the Commodore a downstairs, old ballroom kinda place below a hotel in BC? One of those red velvet rope type night clubs?

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 4990
Location: Vancouver, BC
KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
DB, isn't the Commodore a downstairs, old ballroom kinda place below a hotel in BC? One of those red velvet rope type night clubs?


No. It's an upstairs ballroom on Granville St. (between Smithe St. and Robson St.) And it's been there for 86 years.

Image

Image

Image



In fact, the old owner Drew Burns, died recently...


http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2781882


Drew Burns, former owner of Vancouver's Commodore Ballroom, dies


Burns ran the club from 1969 to 1996 and brought in big acts including U2, Coldplay and The Police

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 5:55 PM PT Last Updated: Sep 29, 2014 6:02 PM PT


Legendary Vancouver showman Drew Burns, who brought international acts including U2, Coldplay and The Police to the Commodore Ballroom, has died.

Burns, who passed away Saturday, was the owner of the Granville Street nightclub from 1969 until 1996.

Author Aaron Chapman, who is writing a book about the history of the Commodore Ballroom said in a Facebook post that Burns was an original.

"Burns did more than any single club owner in the history of Vancouver to alter the landscape of the music and nightclub scene. He played a tremendous role in the culture of Vancouver itself and looked like he had a lot of fun doing it."

Chapman said Burns had a "hell of a life, and one well lived."

Burns ran the Commodore for 28 years and brought in many bands to Vancouver for the first time including the Clash and U2.

Current general manager Gordon Knights said Monday that Burns was charming and sharp.

"I knew that he wasn't well, but he's quite a private man and didn't let on about his health," said Knights. Burns's age and the cause of his death has not yet been released.

"The business just wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Drew and his leadership and his showmanship and his ability to make deals and connect players at the right time."

Knights said Burns had his ear to the ground when it came to musical acts and was willing to take risks that other promoters would not.

Burns made an impact outside of the music industry, as well. Knights said Burns was a great mentor and believer in giving back to the community, helping various charities through the years.

"It's hard to imagine him not around."



My Mother actually knew him casually back in the '70s through her good friend who worked for his lawyer's firm.

_________________
"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 2756
Thanks DB, Joanie used to work there too. Just for a few months though. The other place was near there too. Not the Cave either. That was back in the late '70's. She introduced me to a whole lotta the folks that ran the businesses downtown during that time. I've been in that place and remember it. I think it was Ruby Star I saw there, not sure. Back then she was like Janis wannabe in the way she sang, dressed and partied onstage. Not bad sound as I remember either.
8)

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 4990
Location: Vancouver, BC
KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
Thanks DB, Joanie used to work there too. Just for a few months though. The other place was near there too. Not the Cave either. That was back in the late '70's. She introduced me to a whole lotta the folks that ran the businesses downtown during that time. I've been in that place and remember it. I think it was Ruby Star I saw there, not sure. Back then she was like Janis wannabe in the way she sang, dressed and partied onstage. Not bad sound as I remember either.
8)


No problem.

I remember you telling me about her a few years back (and I think the Commodore too).

Oh...and I just bought my ticket this evening through the presale for the Vancouver show! 8)

_________________
"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 13298
Location: LumberTruckCentral
I just scored 14th row center for the Beverly Hills show. 8)

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 29478
Location: Somewhere in time
We got row 4 aisle at the crest on Schielas side


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 2756
Da Crest,

Front row, middle section, one in. Should be right in front of Ben or Sheila & Dweezil. :D

Dancin' Fool anyone? :twisted:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 13298
Location: LumberTruckCentral
^ Scheila is stage left now. Unless they change it up again, I should be towards her side, just 14 rows back. I like to be in front of the bass rig for the best sound. 8)

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 13298
Location: LumberTruckCentral
Uncle Remus would be nice for the Beverly Hills show. Get it?

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 2756
coevad wrote:
Uncle Remus would be nice for the Beverly Hills show. Get it?
coevad wrote:
^ Scheila is stage left now. Unless they change it up again, I should be towards her side, just 14 rows back. I like to be in front of the bass rig for the best sound. 8)

Got it and SG does move around. In Vegas she was on stage left so we'll see who's in front of me and you too. Only time and ZpZ will tell. :wink: :)

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 29478
Location: Somewhere in time
KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
coevad wrote:
Uncle Remus would be nice for the Beverly Hills show. Get it?
coevad wrote:
^ Scheila is stage left now. Unless they change it up again, I should be towards her side, just 14 rows back. I like to be in front of the bass rig for the best sound. 8)

Got it and SG does move around. In Vegas she was on stage left so we'll see who's in front of me and you too. Only time and ZpZ will tell. :wink: :)


She will be on her new side the whole tour... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 2756
Plook wrote:
She will be on her new side the whole tour...

I gotta feelin' MS SG will be on whatever side she wants...the whole tour! :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 29478
Location: Somewhere in time
KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
She will be on her new side the whole tour...

I gotta feelin' MS SG will be on whatever side she wants...the whole tour! :mrgreen:



Thats why she's over there, she did the other side for 8 years... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 6262
Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
She will be on her new side the whole tour...

I gotta feelin' MS SG will be on whatever side she wants...the whole tour! :mrgreen:



Thats why she's over there, she did the other side for 8 years... :smoke:

One Side Fits All! :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re; zpz osfa 2015 tour
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 10170
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 22620
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
Image



nice!

_________________
hey punk, where you going with that dossier of UN sanctions in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 13298
Location: LumberTruckCentral
ZPZ played France this week. No setlist yet.

Here's a few photos taken by Thierry Joubaud.

Image

Image

Image

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 am
Posts: 945
Location: Location: Location:
Going to see Dweezil tonight in Halifax. It's gonna be a real dynamite show!

_________________
Check out my band!:
http://burgerfriespop.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/burgerfriespop/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 2756
tiboudre wrote:
Going to see Dweezil tonight in Halifax. It's gonna be a real dynamite show!

Have a wonderful time tiboudre! :wink: 8)

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 29478
Location: Somewhere in time
KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
tiboudre wrote:
Going to see Dweezil tonight in Halifax. It's gonna be a real dynamite show!

Have a wonderful time tiboudre! :wink: 8)



+1... :!:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 am
Posts: 945
Location: Location: Location:
Thanks, fellas. My wife, friends and I had a great time. We stayed around after the show to meet the band and I got my Automatic cd signed too. Ryan was telling me how much he enjoys the city. The merch table was full of clothes and music. I bought 4 FZ cds. The setlist was:

Inca Roads
Can’t Afford No Shoes
Sofa #1
Pojama People
Florentine Pogen
Evelyn, A Modified Dog
San Ber’dino
Andy
Sofa #2
Hungry Freaks, Daddy
Grand Wazoo
Baby Snakes
I’m The Slime
Drum intro / Apostrophe
Magic Fingers
Son Of Suzy Creamcheese
Who Needs The Peace Corps
What’s The Ugliest Part Of Your Body
My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama
Sinister Footwear II

Cosmik Debris
Dancin’ Fool
Muffin Man

A few notes:

During the Grand Wazoo, Scheila did a smoking alto sax solo. Then afterwards, Dweezil stops the whole band and says, "Let's do something completely fucked up!" He gets Ryan to play in 13/16, then Kurt in 11/16, then Scheila in 7/16 and then Ben in 5/16. He tells Chris to play in 4/4, then proceeds to rip a killer solo on top of all the madness.

Dweezil didn't play the impossible Steve Vai guitar parts for Sinister Footwear, but it was still awesome.

The theatre was probably only 5/8ths sold, so I hope they'll come back for a third time, but I think it's doubtful. It took them 5 years to come back a second time.

_________________
Check out my band!:
http://burgerfriespop.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/burgerfriespop/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 2756
*Sweet!* Nice review tiboudre, thanx for the share, glad y'all enjoyed the show! :D 8)

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group