Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:41 pm 

Sacramento was awesome. Eleventh time seeing ZPZ since 2006 and maybe the best batch yet. The band, with the newer members having been together for awhile, are really gellin like Magellan and Dweezil is playing better than ever. I really think he has found himself as his own guitarist in the realm of FZ's music rather than merely trying to present a stylistic interpretation of Frank's. He may be moving farther away from the "artist's intent" just a little and I see that as a good thing. I really loved the setlist with lots of Sheik Yerbouti tunes (Baby Snakes, I'm So Cute, Dancing Fool). Without trying to remember the whole set list, besides the OSFA tunes we got The Grand Wazoo, A Pound for a Brown, Cosmic Debris (w/ James Santiago), Apostrophe, Zomby Woof, Sinister Footear II, Muffin Man, and The Evil Prince. Dweezil also had a cool story to tell about Johnny "Guitar" Watson (Ain't That a Bitch was playing on the PA before the show btw). Dweezil also had a real cool segment directing the band with hand signals and other body movements (I think during the GW). I have seen him do this before (and of course he got this from Frank) but it was unique in that context. He also orchestrated some clapping/hopping routine with the audience that I think 99% of the people in the house participated in. I had a great seat (middle section, eighth row, aisle seat on the left facing the stage. I rode down with Plook and his posse which made the evening even greater. We were only missing Kapt. Kiiirk. Ya Big Dummy!

They played about 2:45. I didn't get home until after 2am with lights out by 2:30am and up for work before 7am. The tiredness hit me at about noon and I was going to try and get out early but circumstances wouldn't allow it. Oh well, I should sleep good tonight.

Last edited by KUIII on Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:01 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Sacramento was awesome. Eleventh time seeing ZPZ since 2006 and maybe the best batch yet. The band, with the newer members having been together for awhile, are really gellin like Magellan and Dweezil is playing better than ever. I really think he has found himself as his own guitarist in the realm of FZ's music rather than merely trying to present a stylistic interpretation of Frank's. He may be moving farther away from the "artist's intent" just a little and I see that as a good thing. I really loved the setlist with lots of Sheik Yerbouti tunes (Baby Snakes, I'm So Cute, Dancing Fool). Without trying to remember the whole set list, besides the OSFA tunes we got The Grand Wazoo, A Pound for a Brown, Cosmic Debris (w/ James Santiago), Apostrophe, Zomby Woof, that instrumental from Them or Us, Muffin Man, and The Evil Prince. Dweezil also had a cool story to tell about Johnny "Guitar" Watson (Ain't That a Bitch was playing on the PA before the show btw). Dweezil also had a real cool segment directing the band with hand signals and other body movements (I think during the GW). I have seen him do this before (and of course he got this from Frank) but it was unique in that context. He also orchestrated some clapping/hopping routine with the audience that I think 99% of the people in the house participated in. I had a great seat (middle section, eighth row, aisle seat on the left facing the stage. I rode down with Plook and his posse which made the evening even greater. We were only missing Kapt. Kiiirk. Ya Big Dummy!

They played about 2:45. I didn't get home until after 2am with lights out by 2:30am and up for work before 7am. The tiredness hit me at about noon and I was going to try and get out early but circumstances wouldn't allow it. Oh well, I should sleep good tonight.

It was great and like you I am done... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:51 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Sacramento was awesome. Eleventh time seeing ZPZ since 2006 and maybe the best batch yet. The band, with the newer members having been together for awhile, are really gellin like Magellan and Dweezil is playing better than ever. I really think he has found himself as his own guitarist in the realm of FZ's music rather than merely trying to present a stylistic interpretation of Frank's. He may be moving farther away from the "artist's intent" just a little and I see that as a good thing. I really loved the setlist with lots of Sheik Yerbouti tunes (Baby Snakes, I'm So Cute, Dancing Fool). Without trying to remember the whole set list, besides the OSFA tunes we got The Grand Wazoo, A Pound for a Brown, Cosmic Debris (w/ James Santiago), Apostrophe, Zomby Woof, Sinister Footear II, Muffin Man, and The Evil Prince. Dweezil also had a cool story to tell about Johnny "Guitar" Watson (Ain't That a Bitch was playing on the PA before the show btw). Dweezil also had a real cool segment directing the band with hand signals and other body movements (I think during the GW). I have seen him do this before (and of course he got this from Frank) but it was unique in that context. He also orchestrated some clapping/hopping routine with the audience that I think 99% of the people in the house participated in. I had a great seat (middle section, eighth row, aisle seat on the left facing the stage. I rode down with Plook and his posse which made the evening even greater. We were only missing Kapt. Kiiirk. Ya Big Dummy!

Nice review.

Since most of these West Coast dates over the past few weeks have been nearly 3 hours, I kinda feel like I got short-changed in a way because the show here wasn't longer than 2 hours and 15 minutes...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:59 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Nice review.

Since most of these West Coast dates over the past few weeks have been nearly 3 hours, I kinda feel like I got short-changed in a way because the show here wasn't longer than 2 hours and 15 minutes...

They have to play longer here in Cali because we are totally cool, maxed out awesome, and we get grinding gnarly dude... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:14 am 

^Totally.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:58 pm 

This year, Zappa Plays Zappa celebrated the 40th anniversary of Frank Zappa's iconic One Size Fits All album by covering the album in its entirety

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/127410/ ... Wars-Theme

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10