Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:43 pm 

All of them

1980 Buffalo Ny... Cd from concert Maybe the best. 2nd row in front of speaker stack... My left ear rang for days. I have a few crappy pics
1981 Buffalo Ny....Early and late show
1984 Salem Ma. Horrible outdoor venue.. great show.
1984 Boston Ma... Horrible Balcony seats. Sound sucked for me. Heard tapes and was a great show
1984 Worcester Ma 1st of 3 in a row... Early and late show 2nd row center and 4th row center. I have great pictures !
1984 Providence Ri.... Fantastic show.. Cruex.... Don't you spray that shit on me.
1988 Albany Ny. Opening night of the tour.
1988 Hartford Ct.. Early and late..
1988 Springfield Ma.... !0th row Fantastic sound. Great setlist
1988 Boston Ma.... Another 2 shows.. Crappy seats. I hate the sound in the Orpheum Balcony
1988 Portland Me...Another great setlist....Stainless the maiden
1988 Providence Ri... Kinda blurry.
1988 Syracuse Ny..... Blazing guitar solos.
Not once was I disappointed. Although I got tired of hearing Packard Goose in 1988

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:44 am 

I attended that Zappa/Beefheart concert (Winterland, "75) and count it as my number one worst show. Beefheart was roundly booed offstage - and they were LOUD, no small accomplishment that. FZ played an abbreviated set, told the audience they had a head like a potato and left - no Zappa/Beefheart Bongo Fury set. I believe they played there the next night and performed the whole set. I was at the wrong show. I subsequently learned to attend all performances at each venue. Two shows in one night, or on successive nights, would differ significantly. Lesson learned!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:46 pm 

I saw FZ twice in New York in 1976: Halloween at the Felt Forum and Dec 26 at the Palladium. 12/26/76 was my favorite of the FZ shows I've seen, with Don Pardo on vocals for I'm the Slime.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:08 pm 

salvadordalilama wrote:
I attended that Zappa/Beefheart concert (Winterland, "75) and count it as my number one worst show. Beefheart was roundly booed offstage - and they were LOUD, no small accomplishment that. FZ played an abbreviated set, told the audience they had a head like a potato and left - no Zappa/Beefheart Bongo Fury set. I believe they played there the next night and performed the whole set. I was at the wrong show. I subsequently learned to attend all performances at each venue. Two shows in one night, or on successive nights, would differ significantly. Lesson learned!

Never heard this story. Were they expecting the Dead or something?

PS - Welcome to Z Forum!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:10 pm 

White Boy Troubles
Tom_Ace

Welcome to Z forum, peoples!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:28 pm 

How's it going ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:16 pm 

We revived this thread to slip some DZ news past the warden, almost all DZ threads have been removed since the conflict began between DZ and the Trust...very sad... :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:09 pm 

Plook wrote:
We revived this thread to slip some DZ news past the warden, almost all DZ threads have been removed since the conflict began between DZ and the Trust...very sad... :cry:

Y'get your Fonda ticket yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:47 pm 

coevad wrote:
Plook wrote:

I'm still debating that show, its a coin toss right now... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:09 am 

In the 60s/70s there was a palpable rivalry between northern and southern California bands (as well as east coast/west coast, etc., etc.). Seeing FZ in San Francisco could be weird back then. My first show was '69 at the Fillmore West, according to my admittedly unreliable memory. Everyone there came to see the opener, Boz Scaggs. Boz Scaggs was a blues band then, huge in the SF bay area, and after he performed lots of people left. Some stuck around to heckle the Mothers while they set up (their own equipment!), but after they started playing everybody who remained was freaking out, screaming, clapping - they were glad they stayed.They played a long set too - they were still playing when I had to leave at 1AM (to drive two hours home and climb through my teenage bedroom window to go to school that day without parental units noticing the surreptitious decampment). By the time of the '75 Zappa/Beefheart show I guess the SF concert-goers were sophisticated enough to know to go see a Zappa concert, but they sure weren't ready for Beefheart! At least not on that day. Watching CB get booed offstage broke my heart. I wasn't even aware of the planned Bongo Fury set (which wasn't performed that night!). You sure as f#*% can't do that on stage anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:46 am 

^^^Just curious where that two hour drive took you. I'm a lifelong Northern Californian. I was only entering the third grade in 1969 though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:27 pm 

Plook wrote:
coevad wrote:
Plook wrote:

I'm still debating that show, its a coin toss right now... :smoke:

Call heads!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:31 pm 

Looks like The Dweez is going to do a spoken word tour this summer.

Storytelling with guitar accompaniment, Q&A

7/7/17 Chicago, IL City Winery
7/8/17 Nashville, TN City Winery
7/9/17 Atlanta, GA City Winery
7/11/17 New York, NY City Winery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:51 pm 

Plook wrote:

Bloody Hell that is sad.................. Dweezil should be supported

You US chaps are bloody lucky you got to see all those FZ shows, here in OZ they were few (2 tours 73&76), so I never got to see FZ on stage but I did get to see ZPZ in with Steve Vai, Joe Travers & Ray White in 2007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:45 pm 

Eddie RUKidding wrote:
Plook wrote:

Bloody Hell that is sad.................. Dweezil should be supported

You US chaps are bloody lucky you got to see all those FZ shows, here in OZ they were few (2 tours 73&76), so I never got to see FZ on stage but I did get to see ZPZ in with Steve Vai, Joe Travers & Ray White in 2007

I never saw FZ and I've live near Los Angeles since 1976. I have no excuse for it. I never saw his name listed in the local newspaper's 'calendar' section like they did for Yes, Led Zeppelin and others.

I did get to see 'Banned From Utopia' in 1999. I was basically the 1988 band, but with Tom Fowler on bass, Tommy Mars (w/Bobby Martin) and Ike fronting the whole thing. They played two long sets. The comedy portion of the show made fun at the 'Monica Lewinski/Clinton' situation wherein they claimed to have the actual 'cumstained dress' that she was wearing while servicing our then leader. They brought it out on a standing hanger and left it there for a song or two. I think they played 'When The Lies So Big'. Chad Wakerman tore it up and Ed Mann was awesome.

I saw Ike's Project/Object a few times. Once w/Nappy sitting in. Once with The Grandmothers. There drummers didn't really cut the mustard.

This spring(May 6th) will be my 20th Dweezil Zappa show!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:49 pm 

I would also say all of them (total of three) but I guess I will pick the first one because not only was it my first Frank, it was also my first concert, period.

Nov. 24, 1974 Dane County Memorial, Madison Wisconsin.

Was in the Coast Guard in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin, on the cutter Mesquite, my wife at the time could not go and no one else I knew wanted to. Drove the distance, got inside...found a foot and half square area of floor not close but not really far from the stage which was unoccupied (everyone was sitting...killing time waiting) and stood in it despite some smart-ass telling me it was being saved....(it really wasn't). Frank and the band came out...it was one of the few gigs that had to be played with a substitute bass player due to Tom Fowler injuring his hand playing football. A blackboard was on stage with musical notes (maybe even come chords..don't recall) and during the show Fowler would use a stick to point out different notes or (chords) to the stand-in bass player. Very good tight show and for a while afterwards my Zappa albums sounded like cardboard compared to the live experience. During Dinah Moe Hum Frank conducted the whole place to indulge in orgasm sounds. Pretty funny. Climax Blues Band opened but I don't remember one thing about them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:09 pm 

very cool, wish it had been caught on tape

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:19 pm 

You and me both.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:44 am 

KUIII wrote:
^^^Just curious where that two hour drive took you. I'm a lifelong Northern Californian. I was only entering the third grade in 1969 though.

I was a freshman at Salinas High School in 1969 - so 14 years old. Saw all of my Zappa shows in SF, Santa Cruz, San Jose, etc. The Santa Cruz Civic shows were great: Thing Fish, alp horns, crazy shit. Cozy venue - great sound, and LOUD! Well, ALL his shows were great. Except that Bongo Fury show.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:17 pm 

1974 First time Zappa... Awesome !
1975 Bad bad worst ever ;-(
1980 Very Good
1981 Even Better
1984 Great

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:18 am 

Little_Sally wrote:
1980 Very Good
1981 Even Better
1984 Great

Why was '75 so bad?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:38 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Little_Sally wrote:
1980 Very Good
1981 Even Better
1984 Great

Why was '75 so bad?

It was the third show with Roy on bass and although he was ok it really didn't really seem like Frank was into it.
After seeing the Roxy band the year before it really was a musical letdown.
Frank didn't come back to Portland for five years after that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:23 pm 

'73 in Princeton. Maybe the best.
'75 at the spectrum. Small band with George Duke playing out of his mind.
'84 at the Pier, NYC. I saw the Saturday show. The Monday show became DHBIM?
'88 Saturday and Monday at the Tower Theater. That band was the most technically capable. I look most fondly at '73 with JLP, Ruth and Sal Marquez.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 pm 

I'll amend and say my first show was probably the most memorable '77 palladium Halloween tour 4th row, it was the closest I ever was, not that it mattered, weren't a bad seat in the house, after that just gettin' in the door was all that was needed.

Last edited by Willie the pimp on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:48 pm 

Little_Sally wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Little_Sally wrote:
1980 Very Good
1981 Even Better
1984 Great

Why was '75 so bad?

It was the third show with Roy on bass and although he was ok it really didn't really seem like Frank was into it.
After seeing the Roxy band the year before it really was a musical letdown.
Frank didn't come back to Portland for five years after that.

Yeah, I can imagine how that could have been a let down after seeing the Roxy band.