Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:17 am 

Fair enough guys, I didn't pick up on the 'zappanese' there I'll admit :P . Having explained yourself more though KillUgly I can most definitely appreciate your thinkin'-point of view on matter...I think the initial comment you made though- granted, was probably light-hearted as opposed to a definitive moan given the aforementioned zappa quotage incorporation-, I initially read as more of a flippant dig and more in line with the vibe I've gotten from this place since coming back (certainly the Zappa Albums sub-forum).

So yeah, Kapt.Kirk, it was really the meat and bones of the what could be felt as an unattractive, unwelcoming disposition of some that I was really referencing my disdain for and one of the main perpetrators would most definitely be JayPFunk.

Ultimately, the main drawback of written communication is absence of tone etc so it can be case that if someone is dry and/or lazy with regards attempts to make that clear you can then misread them, and I do try and maintain capacity for accommodating for that, but this guy is abrasive enough on a regular basis that not so sure it's in jest and either way it reads ugly.

Then of course, and often intermixed with classic JayP outburts, there's Trendy, who seems to set everyone off. That I can understand as I think the dictionary has been exhausted many times over with how to capture just how off-putting and sickly his way of 'expressing' himself is. However, there is still quite a few barbed and/or cantankerous characters around that seem to want to argue and/or compete as opposed to have genuine and clean discussion-debate. Definitely not sayin all but enough that it can pollute place and/or spread to others in retaliation etc.

Having said all that, it is amazing how once you express/voice/vent (a grievance with) something you can rid yourself of it almost immediately and/or realise it really isn't as big of a deal as you thought it was and/or you suddenly don't feel so strongly about it anymore :) . Probably all I needed to do actually. :smoke:

More back on topic, just watched disc one of ZPZ DVD in preparation for the gig Monday and it was top quality, thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it. :wink: I know that doesn't guarantee same levels of excellence for upcoming concert I'm to see- not least cos some significant line-up changes and/or notable guests will be absent from that tour/DVD/Show- but has more than whetted my appetite. :mrgreen: Lookin' forward to disc two and/or Vai and/or then the show at the Philharmonic Monday. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:47 pm 

Not to harp on it or be negative (because I've stated it elsewhere) but another thing that I miss about the early tours is Napolean Murphy Brock and/or Ray White. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:04 pm 

November 19
Edinburgh, UK
Picturehouse

1 Heavy Duty Judy
2 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
3 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
4 St Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast - SEGUE
5 Father 'Oblivion- SEGUE
6 Cosmik Debris - VIDEO
7 Exentrifugal Forz
8 Apostrophe - Pete, DZ
9 Uncle Remus
10 Stinkfoot
11 What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? SEGUE
12 Chunga's Revenge - Ben, Jamie, Billy, Joe - SEGUE
13 Cheepnis
14 Inca Roads - FZ Video, Chris
15 Don't You Ever Wash That Thing? Scheila, Billy
16 Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
17 Pojama People
18 City Of Tiny Lites
19 Rollo

Encore:

20 Dancin' Fool - SEGUE
21 Baby Snakes
22 Muffin Man - FZ VIDEO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:20 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:
So they're playing Apostrophe in it's entirety again? That shit's going on two tours old.

Seems a little generic Zappa tuney,if there is such a beast,to me too.But.... I'll take the last half of that set list over the 'opening act' set list with RTF IV anyday.While I'm at it I'll take the whole show anytime I can get it! Any Zappa show is a good show. 8)
Edit: KU2,Ben did play the SG.Now he sings,plays some trumpet and now a little guitar too.The guys really comin' of age.I almost forgot he plays the tamborine also!!!! :mrgreen:

OK. Here's my early New Year's resolution! I'm gonna get over this Ben thing and finally welcome him into the family. Group hug. :cry: :D 8) And I'm going to start smoking. :smoke: But only after sex. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:37 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
Thanks for the back, KK. I WAS being critical, hopefully in a somewhat lighthearted and humorous way, something I think a guy named Frank Zappa did...oh, all the time! FZ's humor could be way meaner than that. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on FZ and ZPZ product. I've got a right to an opinion. I've seen ZPZ eight times. I think they're great. My criticism is that their set-lists used to vary wildy (and very entertainingly) the first few tours and the last three or four they've seemed to settle in on a core group of songs that they play every time (sort of a greatest hits with a few variations). They'd be of more interest to me now if they kept exploring some of the darker corners of the catolog. That is all. 8)

Don't get kozy with Ben yet.FZ used the voice as an instrument,and had great frontmen.Sometimes he used two at a time.DZpZ needs a decent frontman or two! They don't have one now and it blows when you know what someone with great pipes could do with FZ's songs.
Thousands & thousands of dollars? Well,thats one way to keep it from the X. :wink:
As to their set list it can be summed up by FZ himself on Philly`76."I tell you what,we've got some new stuff we've been workin' on or we can play the old stuff." "Who wants the new stuff?" Scatterd applause. "Who wants to hear some old songs?" The crowd goes wild. So he gave them what they wanted.Dweezils doing the same.If this was your first Zappa experience,you'd be very satisfied.But us old dogs keep wanting Dweezil & ZpZ to come up with something new.There is nothing new,only new to us,Zappa works left.I agree with you,DZpZ could stretch the envelope alot more around the 'core' songs with new/old Zappa songs to please us old Zappa Freaks and gather new followers too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:56 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:
Thanks for the back, KK. I WAS being critical, hopefully in a somewhat lighthearted and humorous way, something I think a guy named Frank Zappa did...oh, all the time! FZ's humor could be way meaner than that. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on FZ and ZPZ product. I've got a right to an opinion. I've seen ZPZ eight times. I think they're great. My criticism is that their set-lists used to vary wildy (and very entertainingly) the first few tours and the last three or four they've seemed to settle in on a core group of songs that they play every time (sort of a greatest hits with a few variations). They'd be of more interest to me now if they kept exploring some of the darker corners of the catolog. That is all. 8)

Don't get kozy with Ben yet.FZ used the voice as an instrument,and had great frontmen.Sometimes he used two at a time.DZpZ needs a decent frontman or two! They don't have one now and it blows when you know what someone with great pipes could do with FZ's songs.
Thousands & thousands of dollars? Well,thats one way to keep it from the X. :wink:
As to their set list it can be summed up by FZ himself on Philly`76."I tell you what,we've got some new stuff we've been workin' on or we can play the old stuff." "Who wants the new stuff?" Scatterd applause. "Who wants to hear some old songs?" The crowd goes wild. So he gave them what they wanted.Dweezils doing the same.If this was your first Zappa experience,you'd be very satisfied.But us old dogs keep wanting Dweezil & ZpZ to come up with something new.There is nothing new,only new to us,Zappa works left.I agree with you,DZpZ could stretch the envelope alot more around the 'core' songs with new/old Zappa songs to please us old Zappa Freaks and gather new followers too.

Maybe I just should have said thousands. My point is I can want or wish for whatever I want but that isn't gonna make anything come true. Dweezil and ZPZ is gonna deliver what it delivers and that's the choice I'm gonna have. I don't see any of the tribute bands ever coming around here on a regular basis (not that I wouldn't go to both). Based on that I can like it or lump it. I like that ZPZ at least continues to offer us that option.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:05 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:

Maybe I just should have said thousands. My point is I can want or wish for whatever I want but that isn't gonna make anything come true. Dweezil and ZPZ is gonna deliver what it delivers and that's the choice I'm gonna have. I don't see any of the tribute bands ever coming around here on a regular basis (not that I wouldn't go to both). Based on that I can like it or lump it. I like that ZPZ at least continues to offer us that option.

So your happy with Ben now or just settling for him? I like DZpZ too,but I can wish for more.......can't I?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:58 am 

Well, we're all getting older and when you can find a Zappa Tribute singer to love and hold you forever you have to go for it , don't you? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:14 am 

I want my Flo & Eddie & Ray & Ike & I need a Napi too. :cry: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:03 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I want my Flo & Eddie & Ray & Ike & I need a Napi too. :cry: :mrgreen:

It's time to move on Kapt.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:50 am 
Banned

There was none better than Ray White on the 08 tour and the set list was FAN-tastic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:17 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
November 19
Edinburgh, UK
Picturehouse

1 Heavy Duty Judy
2 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
3 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
6 Cosmik Debris - VIDEO
7 Exentrifugal Forz
8 Apostrophe - Pete, DZ
9 Uncle Remus
10 Stinkfoot
11 What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? SEGUE
12 Chunga's Revenge - Ben, Jamie, Billy, Joe - SEGUE
13 Cheepnis
15 Don't You Ever Wash That Thing? Scheila, Billy
17 Pojama People
18 City Of Tiny Lites
19 Rollo

Encore:

20 Dancin' Fool - SEGUE
21 Baby Snakes
22 Muffin Man - FZ VIDEO

Would appear that they have a pretty rigid formula/repetoire for this tour. I'm not complaining first time seeing them but can see how more familiar fans would crave greater diversity.

Also, I agree totally on allowing yourself to desire more from something (honest and good as reflects that you appreciate what you're getting and/or care for it but feel if had this or did that could excel even further). However I also concur in accepting what is out of your hands for what it is and/or what those who own it wana do with it, taking from it what you like etc. I know I'm gona love this show but even now as I get a good sense for the outline I'm likely to experience, I find myself somewhat wanting them to break out of that for the show I'm attending tomorrow (some different songs- outside of Apostrophe album- and/or drop in some big guests; some of the old band members from the Apostrophe album such as NMB, George Duke, Ruth Underwood, Chester Thompson etc would be very cool and fitting 8) ).

What's Dweezil's feedback mastery like? Be cool to hear Filthy Habits or something along those lines. :smoke: .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:26 pm 

Hey DB, just as a quick aside....I assume you're going to see Prince? One of the better concerts I've seen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:26 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Hey DB, just as a quick aside....I assume you're going to see Prince?

Yep! And I've never seen him live before, so I'm very excited! :twisted:

It's been nearly 10 years since he's played here.

calvin2hikers wrote:
One of the better concerts I've seen.

I don't doubt it.

When did you see him live?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:32 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

calvin2hikers wrote:

I don't doubt it.

I just looked it up - Dec 1997. Jam Of The Year tour. Man, I had no idea it was that long ago.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:17 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

calvin2hikers wrote:

I don't doubt it.

I just looked it up - Dec 1997. Jam Of The Year tour. Man, I had no idea it was that long ago.

Nice!

I just remembered, the night he played here on the Jam Of The Year tour, was the same night that the G3 tour played here with Vai, Satch & Kenny Wayne Sheperd. Robert Fripp opened and Keneally was in Vai's band at the time. I went to the G3 show with my friend instead because I wasn't a Prince fan quite yet. In fact, both shows were in venues that were about 100 yards from each other. Vai mentioned this and made fun of Prince that night... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:06 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Ooh, awesome! That was in support of "Emancipation"? Looooove that album!

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:38 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Hmm, well, I didn't hear Emancipation before I went. Larry Graham opened, which was Sly And The Family Stone without Sly. I stood in line and got 2 great tickets but I couldn't find anybody to go with me. So I just sold the other to a scalper.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:49 pm 

November 21
Liverpool, UK
Philharmonic Hall

1 Black Napkins - SEGUE
2 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
3 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
6 Cosmik Debris - VIDEO
7 Exentrifugal Forz
8 Apostrophe - Pete, DZ
9 Uncle Remus
10 Stinkfoot
11 City Of Tiny Lites
12 What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? SEGUE
13 Chunga's Revenge - Ben, Jamie, Billy, Joe - SEGUE
15 Pojama People
17 Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
18 Fifty Fifty - Pete Jones, Chris, Billy, DZ
19 Rollo - With Solo

Encore:

20 Dancin' Fool - Dance Party!
21 Baby Snakes
22 Muffin Man - FZ VIDEO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:02 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Hmm, well, I didn't hear Emancipation before I went. Larry Graham opened, which was Sly And The Family Stone without Sly. I stood in line and got 2 great tickets but I couldn't find anybody to go with me. So I just sold the other to a scalper.

Prince opened for the Rolling Stones at the LA collisium (I believe) in the early 80's (I believe) and was boo'ed off stage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:59 pm 

Nice!

I just remembered, the night he played here on the Jam Of The Year tour, was the same night that the G3 tour played here with Vai, Satch & Kenny Wayne Sheperd. Robert Fripp opened and Keneally was in Vai's band at the time. I went to the G3 show with my friend instead because I wasn't a Prince fan quite yet. In fact, both shows were in venues that were about 100 yards from each other. Vai mentioned this and made fun of Prince that night... :wink:[/quote]

I saw that same G3 tour in Sacramento. Prince was in town for his show I imagine at Arco Arena possibly the next night. Vai mentioned this early in the show and they ended up having Prince's guitar player (I wish I could remember his name) up for the big jam at the end. They were playing "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama" w/ Keneally singing as one of the jam songs. When Keneally would sing the line "...unless I cut off all my hair..." he would gesture to Satriani who had recently started shaving his head. Fun concert...only time I've seen Fripp in the flesh and Kenny Wayne Shepherd kicked ass.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:33 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Nice!

I just remembered, the night he played here on the Jam Of The Year tour, was the same night that the G3 tour played here with Vai, Satch & Kenny Wayne Sheperd. Robert Fripp opened and Keneally was in Vai's band at the time. I went to the G3 show with my friend instead because I wasn't a Prince fan quite yet. In fact, both shows were in venues that were about 100 yards from each other. Vai mentioned this and made fun of Prince that night... :wink:

I saw that same G3 tour in Sacramento. Prince was in town for his show I imagine at Arco Arena possibly the next night. Vai mentioned this early in the show and they ended up having Prince's guitar player (I wish I could remember his name) up for the big jam at the end. They were playing "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama" w/ Keneally singing as one of the jam songs. When Keneally would sing the line "...unless I cut off all my hair..." he would gesture to Satriani who had recently started shaving his head. Fun concert...only time I've seen Fripp in the flesh and Kenny Wayne Shepherd kicked ass.

Wow! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:56 pm 

November 22
Manchester, UK
Bridgewater Hall

1 Heavy Duty Judy - SEGUE
2 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
3 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
6 Cosmik Debris - VIDEO
7 Exentrifugal Forz
8 Apostrophe - Pete, DZ
9 Uncle Remus
10 Stinkfoot
11 City Of Tiny Lites
12 What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? SEGUE
13 Chunga's Revenge - Ben, Jamie, Billy, Guthrie Govan, Joe - SEGUE
15 Pojama People
17 Fifty Fifty - Pete Jones, Chris, Billy, DZ
18 Rollo - With Solo

Encore:

19 Dancin' Fool - SEGUE
20 Baby Snakes
21 Muffin Man - FZ VIDEO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:22 pm 

Zappa Plays Zappa featuring guest Guthrie Govan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_585dCblI4

Je suis désolé pour les roles que j'ai joué dans toutes ces videos, ce n'est pas tres valorisant pour l'humanité mais si cela peut avoir fait progresser la science, alors il y aura eu un coté positif.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:28 pm 

November 23
Cambridge, UK
Corn Exchange

1 Gumbo Variations - SEGUE
2 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
3 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
6 Cosmik Debris - VIDEO
7 Exentrifugal Forz
8 Apostrophe - Pete, DZ
9 Uncle Remus
10 Stinkfoot
11 Echidna's Arf
12 Don't You Ever Wash That Thing? - Billy, Scheila
13 Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
14 Pojama People
15 What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? SEGUE
16 Chunga's Revenge - Ben, Jamie, Joe - SEGUE
17 Inca Roads - FZ Video, Chris
18 Cheepnis
19 Fifty Fifty - Pete Jones, Chris, Billy, DZ
20 Rollo - With Solo

Encore:

21 Dancin' Fool - SEGUE
22 Baby Snakes
23 Muffin Man - FZ VIDEO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next