Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:36 pm 

I think it's Chris Norton (not Chris North) but, yeah, I thought he was pretty good on Fifty-Fifty. I don't think he's as good as Aaron Arntz though. Also Ben's not as good a vocalist as Nappy or Ray so it's hard for me to say that any show with Ben is up to par with those shows though the show at the Montbleu at Tahoe was pretty darn good. What did surprise me was Ben's prowess on the trumpet at the Davis show. He was playing some fairly complicated lines where as he was just playing a few notes here and there the last time I saw him (in Reno).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:27 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
I think it's Chris Norton (not Chris North) but, yeah, I thought he was pretty good on Fifty-Fifty. I don't think he's as good as Aaron Arntz though. Also Ben's not as good a vocalist as Nappy or Ray so it's hard for me to say that any show with Ben is up to par with those shows though the show at the Montbleu at Tahoe was pretty darn good. What did surprise me was Ben's prowess on the trumpet at the Davis show. He was playing some fairly complicated lines where as he was just playing a few notes here and there the last time I saw him (in Reno).

I thought it was Noth or North.Noth didn't look right,and I don't think it's *Norton.Anyway he was a "friend" on DZW from the beginning,but has since been pulled off that sight**.Bens growing pains are way to slow for me.DZ has sanatized the preformance of his dads material so the kids can come to.You can't even say Hell on DZW.What kind of representation of FZ's music is that? Jazz From Hell looks like Jazz from H**l.Back to the show;I thought they were a little lackluster on the first two songs,then picked up just fine for the rest of the set.They could have used 1or 2 older songs like PP or San Berdino to get more of a FZ mood to start with.All was forgivin when Jean Luc-Ponty played 50/50 with DZpZ.All in all it was one of their best "short set" shows I've seen.RTF IV was in a different astrial music plane alltogether.They made some beautiful music.They blew my mind.I felt changed forever about what jazz is or isn't.Freakin' great show! How'd your son like it?
*your right it is Chris Norton
**Its back up,same picture slightly changed name

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:22 pm 

w/ Return To Forever IV
September 23
Eugene, OR
Silva Concert Hall

1 Pojama People
2 Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
3 Dancin' Fool - SEGUE
4 Fifty Fifty
5 Big Swifty - Ben, Pete, Joe, Jamie
6 City Of Tiny Lights - DZ , Scheila
7 King Kong - w/ Chick Corea, DZ
8 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
9 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
10 St Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast - SEGUE
11 Rollo - Devin Villary, Trombome Ninja - RTF IV crew member

Last edited by Disco Boy on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:19 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly wrote:

I thought it was Noth or North.Noth didn't look right,and I don't think it's *Norton.Anyway he was a "friend" on DZW from the beginning,but has since been pulled off that sight**.Bens growing pains are way to slow for me.DZ has sanatized the preformance of his dads material so the kids can come to.You can't even say Hell on DZW.What kind of representation of FZ's music is that? Jazz From Hell looks like Jazz from H**l.Back to the show;I thought they were a little lackluster on the first two songs,then picked up just fine for the rest of the set.They could have used 1or 2 older songs like PP or San Berdino to get more of a FZ mood to start with.All was forgivin when Jean Luc-Ponty played 50/50 with DZpZ.All in all it was one of their best "short set" shows I've seen.RTF IV was in a different astrial music plane alltogether.They made some beautiful music.They blew my mind.I felt changed forever about what jazz is or isn't.Freakin' great show! How'd your son like it?
*your right it is Chris Norton
**Its back up,same picture slightly changed name

My son dug it. He's a pretty low key guy (like his Dad) so it's kind of hard to get information out of him but I bought him the orange "one shot deal" t-shirt as soon as we got to the show and he immediately went to the bathroom to put it on and he also wore it proudly to school the next day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:58 am 

[/quote]
My son dug it. He's a pretty low key guy (like his Dad) so it's kind of hard to get information out of him but I bought him the orange "one shot deal" t-shirt as soon as we got to the show and he immediately went to the bathroom to put it on and he also wore it proudly to school the next day.[/quote]
Sounds like we have a new young Zappa Freak! Good Job! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:33 pm 

w/ Return To Forever IV
September 24
Seattle, WA
Paramount Theater

1 Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
2 Pojama People
3 Big Swifty - Ben, Pete, Joe, Jamie
4 Fifty Fifty - Pete Jones, Jean Luc Ponty?
5 Willie The Pimp - w/ Frank Gambale
6 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
7 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
8 St Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast - SEGUE
9 Rollo - Devin Villary, Trombome Ninja - RTF IV crew member
10 King Kong - w/ Chick Corea - Chick traded phrases with DZ, Scheila, Chris, Jamie and Billy in a whirlwind 13 minute version.

All of ZPZ joined RTF IV for School Days. It was a great way to end the whole tour.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:27 pm 

November 17
North Yorkshire, UK
The York Barbican

1 Heavy Duty Judy
2 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
3 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
4 St Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast - SEGUE
5 Father 'Oblivion- SEGUE
6 Cosmik Debris - VIDEO
7 Exentrifugal Forz
8 Apostrophe - Pete, DZ
9 Uncle Remus
10 Stinkfoot
11 Gumbo Variations - Scheila, DZ
12 What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? SEGUE
13 Chunga's Revenge FZ - OZ VERSION - Ben played a solo on my SG, Jamie, Billy, Joe
14 Pojama People
15 Inca Roads - FZ Video, Chris
16 Fifty Fifty - Chris, Billy, DZ
17 Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
18 Cheepnis
19 Rollo

Encore:

20 Dancin' Fool - SEGUE
21 Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
22 Muffin Man - FZ VIDEO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:40 pm 

So they're playing Apostrophe in it's entirety again? That shit's going on two tours old. They need to come up with some new shit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
So they're playing Apostrophe in it's entirety again? That shit's going on two tours old.

Seems a little generic Zappa tuney,if there is such a beast,to me too.But.... I'll take the last half of that set list over the 'opening act' set list with RTF IV anyday.While I'm at it I'll take the whole show anytime I can get it! Any Zappa show is a good show. 8)
Edit: KU2,Ben did play the SG.Now he sings,plays some trumpet and now a little guitar too.The guys really comin' of age.I almost forgot he plays the tamborine also!!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:43 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:
So they're playing Apostrophe in it's entirety again? That shit's going on two tours old.

Seems a little generic Zappa tuney,if there is such a beast,to me too.But.... I'll take the last half of that set list over the 'opening act' set list with RTF IV anyday.While I'm at it I'll take the whole show anytime I can get it! Any Zappa show is a good show. 8)
Edit: KU2,Ben did play the SG.Now he sings,plays some trumpet and now a little guitar too.The guys really comin' of age.I almost forgot he plays the tamborine also!!!! :mrgreen:

Well, technically, before the beginning of this current tour, apart from in London last year, ZPZ haven't performed Apostrophe (') live in its entirety for UK audiences yet... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:17 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:

Well, technically, before the beginning of this current tour, apart from in London last year, ZPZ haven't performed Apostrophe (') live in its entirety for UK audiences yet... :wink:

Well then they are in for a treat.I loved the Apostrophy(') tour.Plus they play another hour or so after (').I saw them in SF,Ca then Reno,NV. It seems around here we get to see them twice.The second time is usually with someone else which leads to a shorter set list.You know,you're up in Van,BC.You see them there,then in Victoria,BC doncha? Same thing down here.Your right about (').Nice catch! 8) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:32 am 

Still waiting for ZPZ to return to the south pacific

"any set list will be fine"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:19 am 

Got the Liverpool Philharmonic gig on Monday and highly looking forward to it! 8) Will be my first time seeing ZPZ- non too surprising given this is first UK tour/stint and/or that only properly discovered Frank in 09- so Apostrophe being played in entirety I'm very much welcoming :mrgreen:

Gona watch the ZPZ DVD for firt time over weekend also in warm-up (know here will be line-up changes etc). :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:13 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:

OK. I recant. Sorry ZPZ.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:46 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
November 17
North Yorkshire, UK
The York Barbican

1 Heavy Duty Judy
2 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
3 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
6 Cosmik Debris - VIDEO
7 Exentrifugal Forz
8 Apostrophe - Pete, DZ
9 Uncle Remus
10 Stinkfoot
11 Gumbo Variations - Scheila, DZ
12 What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? SEGUE
13 Chunga's Revenge FZ - OZ VERSION - Ben played a solo on my SG, Jamie, Billy, Joe
14 Pojama People
15 Inca Roads - FZ Video, Chris
17 Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
18 Cheepnis
19 Rollo

Encore:

20 Dancin' Fool - SEGUE
21 Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
22 Muffin Man - FZ VIDEO

Blimey, you got the set list half hour into the concert :o A fantastic night of tight, tight, tight music that I've loved for 20 plus years but never had the chance to watch live - capped by a guy from behind the speakers calling me over and giving me a set list because "you look like you've had a great night" which I got signed by Dweezil. A big thanks to him and the band. The three pints I'd drunk beforehand suddenly felt like 7 or 8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:25 pm 

Looking forward to Cambridge on the 23rd. I'm sure they did all of Apostrophe last time though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:10 pm 

^Is this ZPZ's first UK tour? Seem to remember reading that around time of booking tickets for this upcoming show- something about them setting this tour up after sucess of a one-off gig in London last year or smething- but would half expect to be incorrect given band/set-up been going now since 06. Is it that London gig you're referring to?

Either way, doesn't matter. Hope you enjoy Cambridge gig 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:38 pm 

November 18
Gateshead, UK
The Sage

1 Gumbo Variations - Scheila, DZ
2 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
3 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
6 Cosmik Debris - VIDEO
7 Exentrifugal Forz
8 Apostrophe - Pete, DZ
9 Uncle Remus
10 Stinkfoot
11 What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? SEGUE
12 Chunga's Revenge - Ben, Jamie, Billy, Joe - SEGUE
13 City Of Tiny Lites - DZ, Scheila
14 Inca Roads - FZ Video, Chris
15 Pojama People
17 Cheepnis
18 Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
19 Rollo - DZ solo intro

Encore:

20 Dancin' Fool - SEGUE
21 Baby Snakes
22 Muffin Man - FZ VIDEO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:49 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
You know,you're up in Van,BC.You see them there,then in Victoria,BC doncha?

Actually, I've just seen ZPZ here (all four times!). :twisted:

BloodSugar00 wrote:
^Is this ZPZ's first UK tour? Seem to remember reading that around time of booking tickets for this upcoming show- something about them setting this tour up after sucess of a one-off gig in London last year or smething- but would half expect to be incorrect given band/set-up been going now since 06. Is it that London gig you're referring to?

ZPZ have actually toured the UK a few times times now...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:02 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
So they're playing Apostrophe in it's entirety again? That shit's going on two tours old. They need to come up with some new shit.

This is why I stay away from this forum. It's so damn negative. And now I'm part of the negativity.

See ya...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:25 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
ZPZ have actually toured the UK a few times times now...

Makes sense. Don't know why I didn't question that initially to be honest? Guess just down to excitement to be seein Zappa music performed live :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:48 pm 

dchale wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:

This is why I stay away from this forum. It's so damn negative. And now I'm part of the negativity.

See ya...

I can understand, in general, the feeling you've gotten, certainly, though this was a poor example to make the point on, perhaps, given that KillUgly2 did recant when the relevant info was pointed out to him.

I have lurked more than anything since rediscovering Frank's oeuvre and wanting to re-attend here and discuss with other enthused fans him, his output etc and will admit I've been pretty underwhelmed by the general state of keel of this forum and have not found it an attractive place to post much yet. Hopefully this will change and could be a period as opposed to uniform trait.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:20 am 

dchale wrote:
KillUgly2 wrote:

See ya...

Does humor belong in this forum? :roll: Your to serious,this is just a quote* from the SY album twisted to fit this UK tour.Hey this is the most genteel of the threads.Try JPFunk's Freak Out revisited thread then,STFU and quit whining you Weenie Wanker.Oops! I channeled JPfunk,saw a red devil (about this big ^) & here I am.Back from the mountains of mystery,mystery.See? He was speaking Zappanese. 8)
Don't try this at home it's scarey,in a positive way! :mrgreen:

*Just before the start of Bobby Brown on SY.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:47 am 

Thanks for the back, KK. I WAS being critical, hopefully in a somewhat lighthearted and humorous way, something I think a guy named Frank Zappa did...oh, all the time! FZ's humor could be way meaner than that. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on FZ and ZPZ product. I've got a right to an opinion. I've seen ZPZ eight times. I think they're great. My criticism is that their set-lists used to vary wildy (and very entertainingly) the first few tours and the last three or four they've seemed to settle in on a core group of songs that they play every time (sort of a greatest hits with a few variations). They'd be of more interest to me now if they kept exploring some of the darker corners of the catolog. That is all. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:40 am 

KillUgly2 wrote:
Thanks for the back, KK. I WAS being critical, hopefully in a somewhat lighthearted and humorous way, something I think a guy named Frank Zappa did...oh, all the time! FZ's humor could be way meaner than that. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on FZ and ZPZ product. I've got a right to an opinion. I've seen ZPZ eight times. I think they're great. My criticism is that their set-lists used to vary wildy (and very entertainingly) the first few tours and the last three or four they've seemed to settle in on a core group of songs that they play every time (sort of a greatest hits with a few variations). They'd be of more interest to me now if they kept exploring some of the darker corners of the catolog. That is all. 8)

Not to get to serious but I believe the UK is the last leg of the Apostrophe Tour...I did laugh when I read your other post KU, I found it funny... :smoke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next