New P/O dates at KUR
US rust belt w DP and Nappy
Acme Love & Peace Fest for 4July!!!
Euro leg b4 Bad Doberan
ROFL

Post subject: Re: Don't Look Now
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:21 am 

Oh regardless of the Alumni Quotient what you will get is another round of
in the ballpark performances done with bar band standards.
Really folks in all sincerity at this point many should understand
I am not using that In The Ballpark phrase to put anyone in that band or any alumni down
but more so as a phrase to separate a professional Zappa show as ZPZ puts on
and a collection of cover band shows that Project Object do that
are just not performed up to that of a touring Zappa ensemble.

Project/Object is not setup to deliver Zappa standards in a professional environment.
It's a shame for they have been at it for a very, very , very long time where if one
were to add up the many configurations of that band counting all rehearsal and performance
hours my guess would be well over 100,000 man hours of collective rehearsal time
and 1,000 hours of band performance time. Who knows maybe one of them in that band
will win 200 Million on Lotto and we can see then what finances and dedication they can invest in Project/Object.
Maybe then their love for spreading FZs music will reach a new level.

Now is there anything Project/Object can do to become "That Professions"?
I just don't think it is ever going to happen no matter what the alumni quotient is.
As I have said they have been having a go at it for a very long time and what we
are bound to see is occasional tours with revolving core band members and alumni quotients
that deliver in the ballpark performances that can be a fun time for the musicians and concert goers
but Project/Object sort of reminds me of Zappa on NutraSweet.
That may be good enough for what they deliver giving people a fun time.
I know for a long time over a decade ago I was going to their shows where that type of performance
and Ed Palermo's Ed Palermo arrangements of Frank Zappa was pretty much was all that was out on a continuing basis
but I just have yet to hear a live Project/Object show or live recording that reminds that this is 100% Frank Zappa.
Yes more and more bands are performign Zappa's music and many including Project Object do a pretty good job
but when we are talkign of Frank Zappa's music where hsi live shows had a level f technology and performance standards,
when that is not there for me something is really missing. If there s no other top notch Zappa standards performance
all these bands do bring back a memory but ZPZ just is so much a part of so much of what FZ gad done.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:25 am 

On the other hand, there are lots of people who enjoy P/O's music, despite what Trendmonger says about them each and every time the subject is mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:40 am 

I love ZPZ. But oddly, even though ZPZ hits all the right notes and plays the music beautifully, I always miss Frank's attitude and propensity to deviate from the plan during the course of a show.

One of the reasons I love P/O is that they goof around a lot on stage, in much the same manner as Frank would do with Ike or other side men during a show. In the end, I think they get it right, including the fact that if the last time they played in Chicago is any measure, they are getting better at the "serious" stuff too. :)

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:01 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I love ZPZ. But oddly, even though ZPZ hits all the right notes and plays the music beautifully,
I always miss Frank's attitude and propensity to deviate from the plan during the course of a show.

ZPZ has been touring for only a few years and in such a short period of time
ZPZ has shown through a diverse setlist including arrangements from so many different albums,
FZ touring bands and but also hybrid arrangements that they do the composers music with extreme due diligence
that no other band regardless of alumni quotient has or will ever deliver.
ZPZ digs deep into FZs canon more than some jam band agenda
or writing excessive amounts of today's news into the script.

Face it folks FZ the ringleader will never be here again but for a group of musicians that can pay close attention to exactly what FZ
did is remarkable. As ZPZ moves forward they are taking more and more chances. The taking chances factor has always been there
but they have been limited to certain parts of the program over only a few tours. If they did too much carnival stuff
all at once it would look forced. In time all will be revealed. Who knows when the War In Iraq is over maybe they will get some US Marines
on stage to show some training maneuvers. Maybe a Poodle with a trimmed area called Burbank.
Maybe they can find that toy car from Baby Snakes that says come out with your hands up.
Maybe a Suzzie Creamcheese and Janet The Planet for the new Millenium.
As more and more tours take place more and more opportunities will be there for more solos, more DZ conducting,
more hybrid arrangements, more deviation from the norm. Dweezil just has a different personality
where he lets the music do the talking but one can see how the show has added many theatrical elements, conducting
and DZ solos that are very much in delving into many of FZs sonic landscapes.

Trust me no other band will ever sound as authentic as ZPZ.
It costs way too much time and money to get that music performed on that level.
Even with just looking at guitar solos some of PO guitar solos from a variety of guitarists
may to some given extent attempted to do the FZ vamp technique but the tonalities
are not even 30% on the mark.

If the ZPZ ship keeps sailing they will continue to dig deeper and deeper and deeper in the canon.
All these other cover bands can only deliver in the ballpark because that is all they can invest in time, money and dedicated talent.
Decades of in the ball park. Other cover bands will come and go with or without alumni
just what can one expect unless certain standards are applied to every facet of the music.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:10 am 

just plain doug wrote:
On the other hand, there are lots of people who enjoy P/O's music, despite what Trendmonger says about them each and every time the subject is mentioned.

See what I mean?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:12 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

See what I mean?

That was.....eerily psychic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:49 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:38 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I love ZPZ. But oddly, even though ZPZ hits all the right notes and plays the music beautifully, I always miss Frank's attitude and propensity to deviate from the plan during the course of a show.

One of the reasons I love P/O is that they goof around a lot on stage, in much the same manner as Frank would do with Ike or other side men during a show. In the end, I think they get it right, including the fact that if the last time they played in Chicago is any measure, they are getting better at the "serious" stuff too. :)

I have to agree with Ronny on the missing ingredient for ZPZ. The first time I saw them they were all business getting the music right, no complaints about the first tour, dead on. The next time I saw them with Ray the show was a little looser, but Ray was still getting his groove on. NYE they were musically excellent and some banter, but at that point I was beginning to reach for that FZ show. And now we get to what I mean by the missing ingredient, Frank’s concerts were awesome music with a show, it really had that kind of variety show/vaudeville thing going. The dance contest, secret word, panty collection, purported audience participation, etc...I will say that I saw a little of that bleeding in at the last show I saw, but after seeing what DZ can do when he played with Liza Loeb (they put on a really entertaining show together with jokes and banter) and after seeing his show “Happy Hour”, I know he could easily add that aspect. I would hope more of this can come through and from some reports on the latest tour they may be going there. Of course we have a tendency to believe we have some owner ship in what is going on by being fans and supporting the FZ legacy for all these years, but ultimately who gives a fuck anyway…Plook out!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:07 pm 

That element was there in P/O, at least when I saw them. And good music, too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:30 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
Trust me no other band will ever sound as authentic as ZPZ.

Wrong. ZPZ comes very close to sounding authentic musically, and they sound great. But without the banter and sheer exuberance that came from Frank and his side men, in the end it is NOT authentic. I know Dweezil's goal is to expose the music, not so much the stage antics, to a new generation. But I think if ZPZ lightened up and let loose onstage, in their own way but in the spirit of Frank, they would be as close to authentic as possible, and more fun too.

It would help if they'd work out their dislike for most of the major side men and get some back onstage with them. Imagine Ike and Nappi and Ed Mann cracking wise all night..... :D

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:22 am 

It's my firm belief that if Frank could have never spoken a word and just played/presented music, he would have.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:29 am 

NUS Arts Festival 2015
Pages of Black: A Frank Zappa Tribute by Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music Percussion Ensemble

Synopsis:

One of most anticipated events in the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory's calendar is its annual percussion concert, presented for the first time in NUS Arts Festival. Zapped by Zappa will pay tribute to the late but legendary crossover rock-classical musician, songwriter, and composer Frank Zappa, in a "rock" concert that includes a large percussion ensemble (from tuned cowbells to drum set), rhythm section, winds, and vocals. Zappa, himself, will make an appearance - via documentary footage, of course. (What were you thinking?)

Not for the faint-hearted but certainly not to be missed, this fiery concert with its bold beats, infectious rhythms and big sounds will have you stomping with students from the Conservatory. It will be rock meets classical in a way you have never before witnessed, and all in celebration of the genius of Frank Zappa. Hosted by Frank Zappa expert and colleague Jonathan Haas (New York City) and directed by Jonathan Fox.

Event Date
Fri, 27 Mar 2015 8pm
Venue
University Cultural Centre Theatre, NUS

http://www.sistic.com.sg/events/zappa0315

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:48 pm 

What is NUS?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:58 pm 

National Union Of Students