Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hand signals
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:05 pm 

I was watching some old FZ video footage today and I noticed how Frank used special hand signals to conduct the band and to cue certain musical phrases. I guess most people here (and especially the people who have seen Frank in concert) already know about these signals, but I was wondering if anyone has a list of the different signals he used and their meaning. I presume he made these up himself, right?

Post subject: Re: Hand signals
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:07 am 

<br>[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=concerts&num=1031796305&start=0#2 date=09/15/02 at 15:33:25]<br><br> Maybe webmaster Keith can put these pictures on the website, they are funny. One of them shows Frank with a thumb in his mouth, his explanation: "You stop playing and you lean into the nearest microphone, and say 'very inderesting' spelled i-n-d-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g, because that's the way Bruce Fowler says it."  :D<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>I've seen that and it comes from an old Creem magazine spread. It is also very incomplete. Frank had a ton of hand signals and I personally know of no complete listing in existense. It would be cool to see though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:43 am 

Hand signals are explained on one of the Honker videos: He's on a Australian talk show (the host plays harmonica on the FZ/OZ/76 Disc) in 1973? He then conducts the house band & audience!! Funny Stuff!<br><br>Has anyone seen the footage of The Mothers with John & Yoko Filmore 1971? During King Kong FZ shows JL the hand signals, and they both conduct the band!! Lennon looks like he's having the time of his life!! After King Kong the band gets funky and Don Preston is featured on Moog, Lennon starts singing Scumbag and Zappa starts laughing! What a great moment in history. I wish this was on DVD!!!!!! I tried to sync up the video with FZ's Playground Psychotic CD & JL's Sometime in NY CD, However both FZ & JL edited out Yoko's solo during Well & other areas.<br><br>FZ music is the best!<br>Mr. Chungas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:31 am 

:)Frank zappa is stand beside ray collins looking to someone in audience, put out your hand in that direction, and make the<br>f... signal. The ensemble members, thinking that´s the right moment to play the "Legend of the Golden Archies" and blend away this song with "Sleeping in a Jar" on stage.<br>I don´t remember exactly what´s the location... ;D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:02 am 

Giving the finger is in fact the signal (or at least was at one time) for the band to make that high pitched vocal "Peep" sound (which also sounds like "eeeeee") that one used to hear alot with the original Mothers and somewhat with the Flo and Eddie bunch. One can see John Lennon using it alot in the Filmore east video as well when Frank allows him to conduct.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:29 pm 

he does talk about them in the real frank zappa book.  wasn't one dreadlock half time reggae, and two dreadlocks double time reggae feel?  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:27 am 

One hand playing with braid = reggae<br>Both hands playing with braids =  ska<br><br>I also have a copy of "Viva Zappa" (the English version; I believe it originally came out in French), and the hand signals are on pages 14 and 15. I'd scan them, but my scanner isn't hooked up. (If I *did* scan them, where would I post them?)

Post subject: re: hand signals
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:42 pm 

[quote author=suterb link=board=concerts;num=1031796305;start=0#13 date=07/02/03 at 14:27:59]...I also have a copy of "Viva Zappa" (the English version; I believe it originally came out in French), and the hand signals are on pages 14 and 15. I'd scan them, but my scanner isn't hooked up. (If I *did* scan them, where would I post them?)[/quote]<br><br>i got viva zappa....i can take a digital photo of those pages and e-mail them to anyone who can post them for the forum (like i did for the freakout map)....p.m. me if anyone's interested<br>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:22 am 

Thank you Slimey and Sebastian.  I love the pictures!  One of the few Zappa books I don't have.  Is it still in print?<br><br>I have seen the Australian TV show .  I have a video of it.  It is great!  The audience is laughing and thinks it's so silly,  But Frank is dead serious.  Just like when he was on the Steve Allen show.  <br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:26 am 

Claude Nobs?   Naaaaw, can't be for real! ;D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:38 am 

[quote author=sabrina2 link=board=concerts;num=1031796305;start=15#20 date=08/16/03 at 07:26:56]Claude Nobs?   Naaaaw, can't be for real! ;D[/quote]<br>I'm glad I haven't got one!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:40 am 

And thank you guys, for my new avatar! :-* ;D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:42 am 

[quote author=Uncle Bernie link=board=concerts;num=1031796305;start=15#21 date=08/16/03 at 07:38:37]<br>I'm glad I haven't got one![/quote]<br><br>Ouchy! :-/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:09 pm 

I actually bought this book on eBay for pretty cheap (maybe around $20 or $25).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:57 am 

Very cool and "inderesting" thing.<br><br>Never seen any live tapes of Frank, so I didn't knew that this existed. Either way, I am more concerned to get any kind of live tapes with him.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>