Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:30 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
I don't see Converting Everyone being a goal for the ZFT. I think it is a labor of love how they dedicate themselves to protecting the artistic integgrity of Frank Zappa and that includes ZPZ because that all falls under the ZFT Umbrella of Services being The Worlds Finest Optional Entertainment.

I know it's not a case of trying to convert everyone, some will like it, some won't and no amount of wanting or trying will change that.
I agree, I think it's great that they try to preserve his music and artistic integrity.

Quote:
Regarding the youth of today. We can read in interviews and publications it is a goal of ZPZ where we can see getting Franks music performed Authentically & Authoritively, giving the youth an opportunity to open their minds to Frank's music is an objective. They are doing this.

Yep, and they're doing a grand job, getting out there and promoting and performing ZPZ.
Perform it and the fact "that Zappa guy performed some amazing music", will get around by word of mouth.

Quote:
This is not about force feeding Zappa like Castor Oil to a child. It's just about giving youth and hard cores a taste of Authentic And Authoritive.

No one else is doing this.

As I said, I think it's great that we have the opportunity to go and see something like ZPZ, my Daughter wants to come along next time (hopefully they will come back to old blighty one day) and she's only 10 years old. If say, ten parents at every gig took their kids along with them, the chances are they would develop a love of Zappa (if they haven't already) and then go on to spread that to their friends. The youth are being given a taste of Zappa, and once they've tasted, they will want to consume more or they will walk away in favour of something more mainstream (and I think any kid that would walk away in favour of something more mainstream wouldnt be at a ZPZ gig in the first place). As I said, they either will be open minded enough to like what he did, and what ZPZ do, or they will walk away and buy something by an "American Idol".

Post subject: Why is everyone so angry
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:37 am 

Listen you are forgetting something, Franks music is being played live. That to me is all that matters. I really don't care wether kids were dissapointed or not. I was very satisfied with both tours. Sure could they have been tighter in Philly, the sound a little better, more enthusiasm. Of course, but who really gives a shit. I got to see Franks music played live by a bunch of good musicians and some Zappa alumni. I am 36 and just missed the 88 band, i got into zappa a year later. I have been waiting for the zappa family to do something like this since Franks death. I will see any band that has the balls to play franks music anytime anywhere. This perfection shit and authenticity crap is what it is, horseshit. You want perfection listen to the albums, that what they are there for. Personally I wanted to see what Dweezil could do live with his dads music and I for one am satisfied. Stop worrying about the kids of today and wether they will ever know Franks music. I never saw him live and I sure as hell found it. The kids of today who have a passion for good music will eventually seek this out as well as other great music. The ones who don't care to find franks music, fuck em. More room at the show for me and you who love franks music.

Love to all,

Michael Umanoff

--Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:41 am 

frogswithdirtylips wrote:
Listen you are forgetting something, Franks music is being played live. That to me is all that matters. I really don't care wether kids were dissapointed or not. I was very satisfied with both tours. Sure could they have been tighter in Philly, the sound a little better, more enthusiasm. Of course, but who really gives a shit. I got to see Franks music played live by a bunch of good musicians and some Zappa alumni. I am 36 and just missed the 88 band, i got into zappa a year later. I have been waiting for the zappa family to do something like this since Franks death. I will see any band that has the balls to play franks music anytime anywhere. This perfection shit and authenticity crap is what it is, horseshit. You want perfection listen to the albums, that what they are there for. Personally I wanted to see what Dweezil could do live with his dads music and I for one am satisfied. Stop worrying about the kids of today and wether they will ever know Franks music. I never saw him live and I sure as hell found it. The kids of today who have a passion for good music will eventually seek this out as well as other great music. The ones who don't care to find franks music, fuck em. More room at the show for me and you who love franks music.

Love to all,

Michael Umanoff

Great points. Even if you're not completely satumfied, they're keeping Frank's music alive, which is the important thing.

they never won't

Post subject: true
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:58 am 

exactly my point

--Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:20 am 

Thanks to this thread, Depeche Mode's song "Personal Jesus" has gone through my head all week. Thanks a lot, Trendmonger. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:27 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
The way I see it is kids have always had the same mindset since the sixties. There will always be those that follow whats popular to try to fit in with their peer groups and those with a penchent for challenge. The thing about Zappa is he never was a truly mainstream musician and despite a couple of commercial successes, most Zappa fans IMHO are outside of the box trendwise. He was'nt pushing clothing styles, shoes, lifestyles, food products or anything else than simply the music. Thats what distinguishes Zappa from most pop icons is that it was always about music and artistic integrity.

Certainly the average Twizted or Jessica Simpson fan will likely never get Zappa's music and their not obligated too.

I like to think of Zappa fans as people who are fed up with conformity and want something more challenging to entertain themselves other than what the status quo has to offer, whether it was 40+ years ago or 40 years from now.

well said,,,,

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:49 am 

frogswithdirtylips wrote:
I really don't care wether kids were dissapointed or not.

If you care or not most of the kids I talked at 7 shows had a great time. Time of their lives. All this third party talk of kids being dissapointed is a bunch of crap. From what I saw only one kid was dissapointed and this kid in my opinion was brainwashed by Paul Green's inability to seperate his own lack of respect towards Gail Zappa and what ZPZ was doing on the stage.

After the ZPZ Tasting show following the Jammies, about a year ago Paul Green comes here trashing the performacne. I went to that show with Al Malkin and we had a great time observing the performances to be something very special. Paul Green knows so much about Zappa that he does not even know who Al Malkin is. Al Malkin is part of Joe's Garage and was at the sessions at Village Recorders so I think he knows a little about Zappa. At a point in the show I wanted to leave or seats and listen to the accoustics at various points in the club. I remember dancing to Immaginary Diseases where I felt I was taken to heaven. As I turned I noticed Gail was behind me at her booth watching me dance for a brief moment. When we spoke we both knew that the ZPZ band had nailed it. So Paul Green comes on here saying this show sucked and talked crap about Immaginary Diseases. This was the first evening, World Premeire performances by the ZPZ Band. Within a short period of time so many people in the industry are giving very high priases to the ZPZ band. Paul Green in his Humpty Dumpty Stance removes all his negative commentary. He then goes on to brag how he has signed Adrian Belew where a short time after this bragging period Adrians performace of City Of Timy Lights with an SOR Band is one of the worst performances I have ever seen in my life. Why Paul acts how he does I do not know but my opinion is that his impression showed he had no clue in musicianship. His school is a good thing for kids who want to learn Rock & Roll. I am excited that Mike Keneally got involved but I sincerely hope Paul has changed his attitude.

All this negative talk seems due to some problem where certain people have fallen off the ZFT Approval Fence. To me they look like Humpty Dumpty and I highly doubt Ike Willis or any Alumni Quotient can put them back together again. If anyone wants to enjoy Zappa Plays Zappa it would help for them to let go of Unauthorized Intrusions of their intellect when they go to a ZPZ show.

If Any concert goer did not get it they we're not suppossed to get it no matter what age they are. Paul did not get it. To me I have little to no respect for analytical skills on musicianship or his educational skills.

Sometimes fans of any age go to Zappa shows becuase they are expecting some Halloween Extravaganza. Same with some hard core Zappa fans. They wanted Frank then and Dweezil now to be a madman. Frank may very well be conceived and worked with the bravado of some mad scientist but those foaming viles is not what it is all about. As we all know there are notes invoolved and that ZPZ band played the stuff Authentically as possible as I ever could have immagined.

If the music at ZPZ dialated a Newbies Mind to Zappa's genious they will buy the records and come again to these shows. If not, well what can I say. They can go see some Musical Genre that speaks to their fragile eggshell mind. To me anyone who does not get Zappa is close minded to some extent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:08 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
The way I see it is kids have always had the same mindset since the sixties. There will always be those that follow whats popular to try to fit in with their peer groups and those with a penchent for challenge. The thing about Zappa is he never was a truly mainstream musician and despite a couple of commercial successes, most Zappa fans IMHO are outside of the box trendwise. He was'nt pushing clothing styles, shoes, lifestyles, food products or anything else than simply the music. Thats what distinguishes Zappa from most pop icons is that it was always about music and artistic integrity.

Certainly the average Twizted or Jessica Simpson fan will likely never get Zappa's music and their not obligated too.

I like to think of Zappa fans as people who are fed up with conformity and want something more challenging to entertain themselves other than what the status quo has to offer, whether it was 40+ years ago or 40 years from now.
I want to congratulate you for your bull's-eye there, SPACEBROTHER.
But the youth market that began in the '50s it rapidly began to pick up such a ferocious cut-throat, corporate, bean-counter momentum that it's become a parody of itself today, but not something anyone can or, at this point, even try to ignore.
It's a blindly cash-driven social force that will not be ignored and it demands to be obeyed.
The stupider we are the better it works and it's no different from "Big *SPAM*" or "The Tech Industry" or any other multi-national profit-raking behemoth.
And the most bizarre irony is that it rewards you for believing that you're smart!
The very minute market for non-endorsing, not-for-hire, useless (sic!) people like Zappa will remain a fringe item of very minimal profitability.

--Bat

Interesting post script: "Big Phærma" (Here respelled.) was rendered as "*SPAM*"??? What the fuck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:08 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
Interesting post script: "Big Phærma" (Here respelled.) was rendered as "*SPAM*"??? What the fuck?

Probably thought you would try to sell me something to keep my willie interested for 4 hours non-stop! Ooooer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:22 am 

edyrukidng wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

well said,,,,

The Challenge is for Kids to open their Eyes and Ears to something that is not Cheeze Wiz Entertainment.

About 25 years ago I wrote an instrumental called Who Stole The Cheeze Wiz . Wish I could find the tape. I think it would have to be baked anyway because in was made on AMPEX. Damn it I know I should have used SCOTCH. :lol:

Anyhow the concept of Who Stole The Cheeze Wiz was to take Close Minded Commercialy Brainwashed TV & Radio type Teenage Persons and have them listen to this piece of music that had little or nothing at all to due with anything that the Media Driven Peer Group defined.

So one day if one of these kids finally undrestands what's going on in Zappa's music he may be asking himself. Who Stole The Cheeze Wiz.

You see Zappa is Zappa. The idea of just having it done Authentically just gives people in attendance of any age a chance to open their eyes and ears to it. Some will get it some will not.

So it's now 25 years later and putting these kids of today into a Zappa environment I just wonder how many are still asking themselves Who Stole the Cheeze Wiz?

When a Master Chef is cooking with the Finest Artistinal Ingredients do you think it is polite to ask for Cheeze Wiz on Ritz Cracker. Some people like Cheeze Wiz what are you going to do. That's all they eat. They serve cases of it at their parties. When they get to College they play Cheeze Wiz Games. Each time Horatio Caine in CSI Miami takes off his glasses a Fraternity Brother in some College has to eat a Cheeze Wiz on a Ritz Cracker.

I say try some Zappa you may like it.

It's Good For You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:37 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
edyrukidng wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

well said,,,,

The Challenge is for Kids to open their Eyes and Ears to something that is not Cheeze Wiz Entertainment.

About 25 years ago I wrote an instrumental called Who Stole The Cheeze Wiz . Wish I could find the tape. I think it would have to be baked anyway because in was made on AMPEX. Damn it I know I should have used SCOTCH. :lol:

Anyhow the concept of Who Stole The Cheeze Wiz was to take Close Minded Commercialy Brainwashed TV & Radio type Teenage Persons and have them listen to this piece of music that had little or nothing at all to due with anything that the Media Driven Peer Group defined.

So one day if one of these kids finally undrestands what's going on in Zappa's music he may be asking himself. Who Stole The Cheeze Wiz.

You see Zappa is Zappa. The idea of just having it done Authentically just gives people in attendance of any age a chance to open their eyes and ears to it. Some will get it some will not.

So it's now 25 years later and putting these kids of today into a Zappa environment I just wonder how many are still asking themselves Who Stole the Cheeze Wiz?

When a Master Chef is cooking with the Finest Artistinal Ingredients do you think it is polite to ask for Cheeze Wiz on Ritz Cracker. Some people like Cheeze Wiz what are you going to do. That's all they eat. They serve cases of it at their parties. When they get to College they play Cheeze Wiz Games. Each time Horatio Caine in CSI Miami takes off his glasses a Fraternity Brother in some College has to eat a Cheeze Wiz on a Ritz Cracker.

I say try some Zappa you may like it.

It's Good For You

Have you no shame? Please try to write in your own voice. When you do, it can be rather charming. This Newsweek knock off stuff is horrid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:35 am 

brainpang wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
edyrukidng wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

well said,,,,

The Challenge is for Kids...
Edited for content....

Have you no shame? Please try to write in your own voice. When you do, it can be rather charming. This Newsweek knock off stuff is horrid.

That gave me a chuckle, thank you :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:44 am 

this thread is fucking weird shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:58 am 

That part about Cheez Wiz Games at fraternity parties was just surreal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:08 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:59 pm 

I can make you mine
Taste your lips of wine
Any time, night or day
Only trouble is, cheeze whiz
I'm dreaming my life away

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:03 am 

This thread was fucking GREAT!!!! LMFAO!!!
The battle of the witless!!!! :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7