Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:38 pm 

The Portland show was everything I could have asked for.

Never having had the fortune to see the man himself, I was humbled and blessed by this incredible re-cloning of the Zappa ensemble, using mostly raw materials from a new generation of talent. Nonetheless NMB certainly stole the show in many moments, and added a great deal of the spirit of the shows that I know only from videotapes. The ZPZ band will probably take a few years to develop the kind of band culture that drove the hilarious chaos of Frank's shows.

Dweezil seems like a righteous dude. His presence was very different from what I expected, and totally different from Frank's, to state the obvious. Great to see Terry Bozzio, though my view of him was mostly blocked from my side-balcony seat. My friend who went with me had not heard much Zappa before but is a very open listener and enjoyed the show immensely.

We both agreed that it was often too loud -- sometimes guitar and vocal lines were drowned out by the overall sea of sound, perhaps in part due to unfavorable acoustics of the Roseland theater.

One Note,

FW 8) 8)