Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:29 am 

I had no idea that Denver was to be the opening show to the domestic tour. I guess they like to use the cow towns as the litmus test. :wink:

I'd like to thanks and give my impressions on a per band member basis. So here it goes -

Dweezil - Thanks so much for putting this together. You organized a top-notch band, and a superb setlist. The audience was made up of seasoned veterans and young grasshoppers alike. I read your Rocky Mountain News interview, and I believe that you really are reaching out to a fresh batch of Zappa fanatics. Your song selection was perfect . . . technical, hip, and groovy. You showed absolute pride in your mission, and sheer joy in your performance. That's the most important part. We appreciated your little stories and antecdotes. I never knew that Frank recorded at the Caribou studios outside of Boulder. Your warmth and appreciation was felt by everyone there. Thanks again! You are welcome back to Denver ANYTIME! BTW, you are shorter than I had pictured. :wink:

Napi - You are the man!!! I've seen you multiple times with Project Object, and you singing and playing chops never cease to amaze. You bring so much energy and fun to the shows, that I'm not even sure if it would be the same without you. It's great that you keep spreading the Zappa gospel. On top of all that, you are a very appreciative and down-to-earth person. I remember seeing you in a pizza joint before the Project Object show in Boulder. You graciously greeted and spoke to any fan that approached you. Plus, you gave us a big grin when we said "Give 'em hell, Napi" to you on your way out. Here's to many more years of performing! Give 'em hell!!!!!

Steve Vai - You kinda stole the show. I guess that was to be expected. Too bad you didn't give us more. Tell me, do they have a playstation and full bar on the tour bus?

Terry Bozzio - I hate to say anything bad about this show, but . . . . You were one of the main attractions, and one of the performers I wanted to witness most. Alot of us Zappa fans are too young to have seen you play with Frank, and you don't tour much on your own. Punky's Whips is one of my favorite songs, and I was tickled pink when I heard it being introduced. Too bad you felt that one spotlight wasn't good enough to highlight your phenomenal drumming skills. Wouldn't have been so bad if the second spotlight wasn't BEHIND your drumset pointing BACK INTO THE AUDIENCE. Unfortunately, I was in the section most blinded by this beacon of self-indulgence. We are not a rude bunch of people here in Denver by nature, but we tend to get a little disgruntled when we pay $50 for a show that we can't see. I couldn't enjoy Punky's at all due to the blindness and screams from the crowd. "TURN THAT FUCKING LIGHT OFF!!!!" By the time we got the light guy to get it shut off, your short appearance was over. Boo.

The Rest Of The Band - You kicked ass!!! It's cool that Dweezil found a fresh, young, hip band to rip through this crazy material. You all were having a blast, and it showed!!!!! Thanks so much!!!!

All in all it was a great night. They played most of the pieces I wanted to hear, and the energy in the audience was fantastic. Please come back!!! Leave the spotlight at home!!!!!

:lol: