Tryin' to Grow a Chin
Reeny Ra
Would You Go All the Way?
Dirty Love
What Kind of Girl Do You Think We Are?
Bwana Dik / Lumpy Gravy
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Arf (of You)
Bamboozled By Love (incl Mystery Riff #1)
Brown Moses
Dumb All Over (excerpt played as intro)
Heavenly Bank Account
Mystery Riff #2 / I'm a Beautiful Guy
Beauty Knows No Pain
Charlie's Enormous Mouth
Any Downers?
Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy

encores:
Cosmik Debris
Penis Dimension
Tears Began to Fall

Fantastic performance, completely different setlist than the one played less than a year ago when I saw them in December. These guys (and gals) are amazing.

Some notes:

As noted elsewhere, The Gumbo Variations was a real show-stopper. Scheila killed this one. Dweezil did an incredible job playing the Sugar Cane Harris violin parts on the guitar. His ability to replicate Frank's solo on Son of Mr. Green Genes was also jaw-dropping.

Bwana Dik and the Lumpy Gravy intro were played together as one short piece, I'm assuming that it's because they're basically the same song.

Dumb All Over was played as a few bars of the main riff and a couple of 'Dumb All Overs' before leading into Heavenly Bank Account. I was very impressed by the tightness of the vocals during the You Are What You Is medley.

Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy ended with an extended (and truly astounding) Dweezil solo that tore the paint off the roof. Not sure I've ever seen an entire audience hit their feet for a standing ovation that quickly before.

The middle of Cosmik Debris contained a fairly rickety comedy routine that began with Dweezil asking Scheila to play the theme from Charlie's Angels (she didn't know it), the theme from CHIPS (she didn't know it) and the theme from Game of Thrones (she didn't know it). Then the theme from Star Trek, the Star Wars Cantina song, the Pink Panther theme and the Three's Company theme (all of which she knew and played)

Then Adam did a Johnny 'Guitar' Watson impression and played 'The Pimp Lick' and Sister Christian by Night Ranger. Ryan then sang the theme from Quantum Leap and Adam sang & played the theme from Night Rider as Bill Cosby - twice, the second time with pudding pop lyrics.

Dweezil said the band learned Penis Dimension that morning.

This was a killer show, make sure you see these good folks whenever they get near your neighborhood.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:28 pm 

I’m still not getting a full picture of the Hot Rats performance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:09 pm 

polydigm wrote:

If it ever makes it to Nor Cal I will give you a 3 page review, but I can't guarantee spelling or punctuation... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:03 pm 

polydigm wrote:

What else would you like to know?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:07 am 

Dweezil claimed a DNA level performance would be provided. What does that mean? With all the layering on the more densely orchestrated tracks, how was that reproduced live with his small ensemble?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:26 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Dweezil claimed a DNA level performance would be provided. What does that mean? With all the layering on the more densely orchestrated tracks, how was that reproduced live with his small ensemble?

Very well, actually. If you closed your eyes, it sounded exactly like the original LP.

For instance, to replicate the standup bass (which 'wouldn't fit in the trailer') Kurt Morgan played an unusual-looking miniature acoustic bass, which looked like a ukulele on steroids. As previously mentioned, Dweezil played the violin parts note-for-note on the guitar. Adam Minkoff played a number of the backing instruments and a lot of the 'orchestration' was performed on keyboards.

I wasn't on stage, so I don't know exactly how they did it but it was a near-perfect reproduction.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:06 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
polydigm wrote:

I wasn't on stage, so I don't know exactly how they did it but it was a near-perfect reproduction.

History shows there are few that have given as many props as I have to the orchestral minded performance standards of each and every one of DZs bands. My intent here is constructive criticism with positive energy.

In where you state "near-perfect" I have to wonder how closely you or anyone has listened or how near it is. For my ears it goes well beyond the Sugar Cane Harris and Ponty Violin parts or some of the added percussion layers. A really fine job getting a good ballance of the orchestration but there are many nuances of the multi-track recordings. Clearly there are elements that were missing in the live performance.

Surely the band did an amazing job playing the notes, rythms and bringing an overall level of excitement to the celebration. Surely many textures were performed live but clearly there were some things missing. They would need more musicians, a larger Hot Rats Orchestra, to be 100 percent DNA.

This is more to do with limitations of the amount of hands, feet and voicings on the live stage.

At some point it would be nice to hear a FOH of the show. What I heard and saw live had some missing elements. But hey, I never expected that each and every multi-track element could be done with the size limitations of DZs Hot Rats Orchestra.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:20 am 

I didn't know that a DNA Level performance was the same as "in the ballpark". :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:08 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I didn't know that a DNA Level performance was the same as "in the ballpark". :roll:

That definitely needs to be "out of the park"... :idea: