Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:57 pm 

Anyone seen them, and what's your take? Coming to the Tralf in Buffalo in a few weeks. Watched a few youtube clips. Seem decent, no alumni. Thought it lacked the eyebrows, but that was only after briefly checking a clip or two. It's a Tuesday night, nothing else going on that week. May check it out for $15.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:19 pm 

Excellent band. I subscribed and liked three of their videos. I like the sound the violinist gets during Inca Roads. It's great to hear a bigger band playing FZ's music. Not only that, but a bigger band with more hair than a standard sounding big band.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 pm 

Got an email today from venue about this show. Says the "clonemeister" Arthur Barrow is in the band. So yeah, I'll be checking them out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 pm 

Devotion to the demented
Frank Zappa lives on in the Furious Bongos
https://isthmus.com/music/furious-bongos-preview/
by Andy Moore
May 16, 2019

When it comes to Frank Zappa, most rock fans have two settings on their toggle: “off” or “thermonuclear.” I was in the “off “category through my teen years. His songs seemed dense, like he was chucking stone tablets from the stage. I flipped once I got to college. These days, it’s still work for me to fully appreciate his bent musical style. But it was his sense of humor that hooked me and keeps me still.

Who else, in the middle of a song, would walk across the SNL stage to a blackboard filled with lyrics, take out a long pointer, and direct the show’s off-camera announcer, Don Pardo, through a recitation of the song’s next verse?

Of course, it would be a blunder to underestimate the sweetly demented music itself. “Zappa was like the first musician that I had any interaction with that made it feel like it was okay to be weird in music,” says Baltimore-based sax player Vince Szynborski, whose name sounds like it could be a character in a Zappa song. Szynborski is a member of the band Furious Bongos, a group of Zappa devotees who will cap off a weeklong Mother’s Day Tour salute to their hero, who died in 1993, at the High Noon Saloon on May 19.

The band is not fooling around. The 10-member ensemble features top musicians from around the country, but a number of members are based in Madison, including guitarist/vocalist Lo Marie, bassist Conrad St. Clair, keyboardist Mike Massey, and percussionist Geoff Brady.

One member has a serious connection to Zappa himself: Multi-instrumentalist Arthur Barrow did four tours with the Zappa band in the 1970s. He served as the band’s rehearsal director, and can be heard playing multiple instruments on about a dozen Zappa albums.

Barrow also loves Zappa’s sense of humor. He once told Zappa that his new winter coat was “good down to 40 below.” Zappa responded, “Good for what? Preserving the corpse?” Then and now, Barrow is mostly centered on the non-conformist nature of Zappa’s compositions. Barrow says that once he got beyond the lyrical playfulness, “I began to realize that the music was interesting, too, and I heard chords that I was not familiar with as a teenager. Pretty soon I was sucked in.”

The Furious Bongos billed the current tour not as a note-for-note tribute but more of a musical adaptation — one that will allow the evolution of Zappa’s music to continue rather than stand still. Zappa transformed his music according to the players he worked with. So, too, have the Furious Bongos. The band rehearsed at a space just outside Washington, D.C., and has been touring with stops including Baltimore, Buffalo and Cleveland.

In preparation for the Zappa project band members tracked down hundreds of pages of notes and transcriptions scribbled down by former Zappa band members and even dug up rare scores in Zappa’s own hand — coffee stains and all.

The result will be a set of Zappa cuts that will include “Bobby Brown,” “Chunga’s Revenge,” “Zombie Woof” and “Willie the Pimp.”

What would Zappa say about their renditions? Former bandmate Barrow says, “I think he would be pleased. I think he would also point out all the mistakes and flaws. And I think he’d be really pleased that we have a really good mallet player and good vocals. Those two things were really important to him.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 am 

Glad I spotted this thread, never heard of them before, but they'll be in my area in November so I'll have to go see the show.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:35 pm 

FZNH wrote:
Glad I spotted this thread, never heard of them before, but they'll be in my area in November so I'll have to go see the show.

:mrgreen:

They're cool to see at least once, especially w/ Arthur. He played keyboards, like a Rhodes-style setup the whole night, no bass guitar. He sang on a couple too, notably Cosmik Debris and quite well. I bought his autobio at the show. I see they're already booked to return to Buffalo this year again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:06 am 

Zappa tribute The Furious Bongos announce Halloween-ish tour in November, kicking off at The Chance
By Pete Mason On Sep 29, 2019

https://nysmusic.com/2019/09/29/zappa-tribute-the-furious-bongos-announce-halloween-ish-tour-in-november-kicking-off-at-the-chance/

The Furious Bongos are extending the season of Halloween shenanigans and observing the unofficial holiday of Frank Zappa! They’re returning to some of their favorite venues and expanding into new territory as things are rapidly growing for this fiery band. They’ll kick off tour at The Chance in Poughkeepsie on November 1, then make stops in Albany and Buffalo. Bring your ponchos…or your best Zomby Woof costume!

When bassist/arranger Conrad St. Clair decided to tackle this project, knowing Zappa drew on influences ranging from Stravinsky to Leadbelly, he felt it was important to assemble musicians with backgrounds as farflung as Zappa’s influences. As a result, the band has a heavyweight and eclectic resume, including work with artists like Yo Yo Ma, India Arie, Mick Fleetwood, and Les Paul. This tour will also feature amazing violinist Randal Harrison and master mallet player Matt Peters, as well as Grammy-winning Jay Frigoletto on keyboards for the first half of the tour.

Since Zappa’s music was constantly evolving and adapted to the musicians he was playing with at a given time, doing a note-for-note rendition of ‘Song X‘ from ‘album Y‘ while staring at their shoes didn’t seem like the proper way to go about this project. The Furious Bongos tracked down hundreds of pages of transcriptions and quickly scribbled notes from former band members and other sources, painstakingly compared different versions of the songs, and even dug up copies of rare scores in Frank’s own hand (coffee stains included). The end result is arrangements that you won’t hear anywhere else.

The Furious Bongos understand that however people describe Zappa, safe or vanilla aren’t usually first in mind. And, they appreciate Frank’s role as an entertainer, not just as a composer It’s a show that pays respect to an iconic legacy but is still new and different and dangerous and FUN, with lots of eyebrows. Kinda like Frank.

THE FURIOUS BONGOS TOUR DATES

11/1– Poughkeepsie, NY @ The Chance Theater

11/2– Manchester, NH @ Jewel Music Venue

11/3– Burlington, VT @ ArtsRiot

11/5– Brattleboro, VT @ The Stone Church

11/6– Albany, NY @ The Linda

11/8– Buffalo, NY @ Tralf Music Hall

11/9- Baltimore, MD @ Orion Studios

11/10– TBA

11/12– Lexington, KY @ Cosmic Charlie’s

11/14– Columbus, OH @ Skully’s Music-Diner

11/15– Three Oaks, MI @ The Acorn Theater

11/16– Fremont, OH @ Strand Theater

11/17– Chicago, IL @ Reggie’s Rock Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:07 pm 

I'm leaving here soon to go see them in Manchester tonight. :D
The venue reviews weren't very good, never been there myself, so I'm not sure what to expect.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:58 pm 

Excellent Show! Very glad I went.
I met about half of the band and chatted with them, got a cool shirt from their merch table.
There were 9 players in the band, IMHO, they were all very good to excellent.
The set list included Inca Roads, Sofa #1, City of Tiny Lights, Advanced Romance, What's New In Baltimore, Village Of The Sun, Zomby Woof, Montana, and Sam With The Showing Scalp Flat Top among others.
As for the venue itself, the place isn't bad, nice seating and bar area, lighting is ok, but the acoustics aren't great.
I was surprised at the low turnout, especially on a Saturday night.
It's a shame really, the band is very good, they need to be seen by larger audiences.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:18 am 

FZNH wrote:
Excellent Show! Very glad I went.
I met about half of the band and chatted with them, got a cool shirt from their merch table.
There were 9 players in the band, IMHO, they were all very good to excellent.
The set list included Inca Roads, Sofa #1, City of Tiny Lights, Advanced Romance, What's New In Baltimore, Village Of The Sun, Zomby Woof, Montana, and Sam With The Showing Scalp Flat Top among others.
As for the venue itself, the place isn't bad, nice seating and bar area, lighting is ok, but the acoustics aren't great.
I was surprised at the low turnout, especially on a Saturday night.
It's a shame really, the band is very good, they need to be seen by larger audiences.

Cool! Thanks for the review! Hopefully these guys will start traveling around more, I would go see them if they were in my neighborhood.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:00 am 

:smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:41 am 

I'm thinking of seeing them in a couple weeks. For those who remember forum member PenguinInBondage, his band Next Planet will be opening! :)

https://www.reggieslive.com/show/the-furious-bongos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I'm thinking of seeing them in a couple weeks. For those who remember forum member PenguinInBondage, his band Next Planet will be opening! :)

https://www.reggieslive.com/show/the-furious-bongos

Scott doesn't show up in their Facebook Arkay, what info do you have, the video looks like his awesome work... :?:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:22 pm 

The link above shows "Next Planet" in the Reggie's ad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:48 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
The link above shows "Next Planet" in the Reggie's ad.

I'm confused, I'm a dinosaur for sure... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:21 pm 

They're playing Buffalo tonight, not going. Just saw them here 6 months ago, I'm good. $5 bux more at door this time, and no Arthur Barrow this time, pass.
I don't want to trash the dude, he might be a swell guy, but the singer kind of annoyed me. He's just sort of over the top, like a Jack Black character in an FZ tribute band. I didn't care for his Beefheart impressions, and his theatrical aerobics were a bit much(doing handstands, yoga poses and such during songs). I remember they did a pretty good version of COTL - then came the ending, which went on forever, just stupid long drawn out "improv" vocal crap that went nowhere. I wanted to scream out, END THE SONG, ALREADY!

They're cool to see once. Gotta give props to any group of musicians who will go out on the road and do a full set of Zappa music in towns where no one knows who the fuck they are.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:41 pm 

^^^A little harsh IMHO Fred but hey everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it...myself I go to every show I can and I like the various new members over recent years, I have in the past 4 or 5 years taken several people who don't know FZ's music (maybe marginally) or this Band (at all)...after the show all have said they were shocked that they never heard of this before, that they are one of the best bands they ever saw, and were thoroughly entertained.... :idea: