Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zappa Hologram Tour
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:46 am 

FZNH wrote:
Scored four great seats for the April 26th show in Boston!

I just checked the seating chart a few minutes ago and it looks like about half the seats are still available.

https://www.massconcerts.com/event/1829 ... 281_oHxN6o

Maybe i'll see ya there bud. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:14 am 

It's early yet.....but I don't see tickets selling fast at the show I plan to see. I think there may have to be a bit more info posted by the Family for anyone to spend to see these shows. It seems that Zappa himself may not be the only holographic "being" in these shows....or at least I have taken what was said on that radio interview(posted elsewhere) I listened in on to mean that (?). But maybe there needs to be a bit more of a "teaser" to get folks to plop their cash on such an "experiment" as this show?

I'm a fanatic....and really, I am going to see if this is a "great experiment" in Cheapness,....or if it's a tragic disaster of a fever dream. I hope it's a hilarious/amazing sci-fi fest of a show....but it could be all cardboard cut-outs and "stagecraft".

But just a still drawing of cartoon representations of Zappa humor and a video with a voice-over doesn't seem to be intriguing enough customers, except for us fools that buy almost anything with FZ even appearing in (or on),even in Ghostly form.

C'mon Ahmet....give us a little taste to get this thing rolling. Otherwise ticket sales (or lack there of) will sink this before it even "sails".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:35 pm 

Posted today... first glimpse of the FZ Holygram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw79UBI2mAA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2omPvgX-AFFguSjuJTurzi4ENlrIIokYNI-mNopR4p8IBXKJzcBGyvWtY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:51 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Woah! Pretty creepy,....but intriguing . Can it play a mean guitar? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:43 am 

Wow, I'd love to get to one of these, I'd VIP and all. Hope they get a bit closer to Australia though as I don't really have any immediate plans to fly across the pond to get to one of these thanks to work.

Here's hoping Dweezil, Moon and Sheila Gonzalez can make an appearance as I think it would make for a great night of awesome Zappa music.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 pm 

Ticketmaster Bans Frank Zappa Hologram Tour Artwork For ‘Questionable Content’
March 4, 2019 Olivia Perreault

Ticketmaster refused to post the artwork for “The Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa” hologram tour on its websites, citing that the graphic contained “questionable content.”

Frank Zappa’s estate responded to Ticketmaster in a press release, noting that the “composer, musician, futurist and innovator Frank Zappa is facing censorship yet again.”

“The tour artwork was curiously censored by Ticketmaster who cited the image for so-called ‘questionable content,’ according to their Content Governance team, and wouldn’t post it online,” the estate said. “The censored image pays homage to Frank Zappa & the Mothers’ 1974 song ‘Penguin in Bondage’.”

Additionally, the estate decided to have Zappa’s hologram respond to Ticketmaster itself by having the hologram’s lips form words used in a voice recording from 1984. The recording was dubbed over a video of the hologram which said, “I’m a person who likes to do what he wants to do…whether people like it or not and what I do is designed for people who like it, not for people who don’t.”

At the beginning of the video, a warning label flashed on the screen, similar to those that used to appear on Zappa’s albums.

“These concerts contain material which a truly free society would neither fear nor surpress,” the label reads. “In some socially repressed areas, religious fanatics and ultra-conservative political organizations violate your First Amendment rights by attempting to sensor rock & roll. We feel this is unconstitutional and un-American.”

“If you’re someone that can’t enjoy the absurdity and humor of bringing Frank’s music and lyrics to life via holograms – such as penguins in bondage, talking hot dogs and super natural dental floss – this show might not be your cup of tea,” Zappa’s son, Ahmet Zappa, EVP of Business development for hologram company Eyellusion and co-trustee of the Zappa Family Trust, said.

“In response to Ticketmaster, I re-submit the poster artwork with our newly updated Warning Guarantee hiding the buttocks of the cartoon penguin. I mean, seriously Ticketmaster?”

“The Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa” hologram tour will include Zappa’s former bandmates Ray White and Mike Keneally, bassist Scott Thunes, multi-instrumentalist Robert Martin, percussionist Ed Mann, and drummer Joe “Vaultmeister” Travers. The tour will kick-off on April 19 in Port Chester, NY and hit nine dates across the U.S. before heading overseas.

Check out the full list of tour dates below.

The Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa Hologram Tour 2019

April 19 — Port Chester, NY @ Capitol Theater

April 20 — Rochester, NY @ Kodak Center Theater

April 22 — Red Bank, NJ @ Count Basie

April 24 — Long Island, NY @ Paramount Theatre

April 26 — Boston, MA @ Shubert

April 28 — Albany, NY @ The Palace Theatre

May 01 — Wilkes Barre, PA @ Kirby Center

May 02 — Collingswood, NJ @ Scottish Rite Auditorium

May 03 — Baltimore, MD @ The Modell Lyric

May 09 — Edinburgh, UK @ Playhouse

May 11 — Gateshead, UK @ Sage

May 12 — Manchester, UK @ Bridgewater Hall

May 13 — Birmingham, UK @ Symphony Hall

May 14 — London, UK @ The Palladium

May 16 — Ostend, BE @ Kurssal

May 17 — Amsterdam, NE @ Rai Theater

https://www.ticketnews.com/2019/03/tick ... r-artwork/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:55 pm 

So Ticketmaster is offended by a bare penguin ass? Haw, haw, HAW!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:52 pm 

penguini wrote:

Maybe it was the dildos on top of the mask of the bare assed penguin’s sadistic partner. :idea:

I gotta admit I don’t get the significance of some of the other images in the poster. What’s the robot FZ about? The black Barbie doll? The buff FZ? The hot dog FZ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:18 pm 

KUIII wrote:
penguini wrote:

Maybe it was the dildos on top of the mask of the bare assed penguin’s sadistic partner. :idea:

I gotta admit I don’t get the significance of some of the other images in the poster. What’s the robot FZ about? The black Barbie doll? The buff FZ? The hot dog FZ?

Does the D on the dress maybe stand for Dynamo?

Hot Dog = Cheepnis?

Robot = Sy Borg?

Just guesses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:30 pm 

Those were my guesses too along with “Burnt Weeny Sandwich” for the hot dog FZ, “The Man From Utopia” for buff FZ, and maybe “Doreen” for black Barbie. I don’t know why they didn’t use existing images from the albums and movies. There is so much cool material to choose from. The floating sofa and God’s cigar from OSFA, the Man From Utopia cover, and some of the Bickford animation, for example. The artwork on this poster is a little bit puzzling to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:46 am 

Someone's missing... can't figure out who...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 am 

^^^I can picture it in 3D... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:15 pm 

Hologram Frank is going to look a lot younger than his band members.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:49 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Hologram Frank is going to look a lot younger than his band members.

LOL, maybe they should age him a little... :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:55 pm 

I imagine if FZ was able to be involved with this tour, he'd be filming/recording/Synclaviering these performances for later use as a hologram band which, with the use of cgi 'n' stuff, could be manipulated into playing anything he wanted, the way he wanted, whenever he wanted.....

FZ would be in heaven.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:50 pm 

I'm 45 minutes from the Red Bank, NJ, location, and can get 18th row center orchestra seats, but I can't bring myself to go.
Can't get excited about it. Thought about it a lot. Yeah, I'll probably regret it.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:51 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
I'm 45 minutes from the Red Bank, NJ, location, and can get 18th row center orchestra seats, but I can't bring myself to go.
Can't get excited about it. Thought about it a lot. Yeah, I'll probably regret it.

I would show up to see that band... :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:01 pm 

Plook wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:

I would show up to see that band... :idea:

I hear you.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:12 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

So you need someone to blame. No problem, I'll bring you to the show; you can blame me if it goes sideways. As for being excited, now is the wrong time. It is totally fine if you are only excited once the show is going on, so that is a wait-and-see situation.
Now, get those tickets, confirm that you have my ticket as well. Of course, you'll have to get me plane tickets too, but I'm sure you see that as a small favor compared to me bringing you to the show. With an Uber, I guess, or a cab. You have an Uber account? Again, more details that you can calmly take your time with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:52 pm 

I am flabbergasted by this guilt associated with seeing this show... :?

Let's put it a different way, if that band was touring as Old Mothers Wazoo and they had a movie screen in the back of the stage and they were playing Outside Now with film or video of Frank jamming...everyone on this site would go money, weather, and health permitting... :idea:

My god people we keep buy different versions of the same album over and over, why would anyone deny themselves this pleasure... :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:39 pm 

^^^The future is scary... :shock:

I don’t think the people on this forum are especially representative of Zappa fans or people that would go to this show. Let’s face it, there are only about 10-20 people that are consistently active on this site. That is a tiny, tiny sample of fans. The 13 ZPZ shows I’ve seen since 2006 have been generally well attended in 1000 seat venues, more or less. Multiply that by all the other parts of the globe that ZPZ plays and that shows there are plenty of people interested in a show like this that don’t care about online forums. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 pm 

I don't think "we" have changed per se, and remember initial reception of ZPZ was not 100% enthusiasm either. With a hologram we're guaranteed to get the same show every night.

Let's not forget one of Zappa's skills was that of show-man, there are countless moments on the live albums that make me think "oh I wish I was there" and there is no way this hologram can replicate stuff like the London Poetry Slam.

Maybe we've gotten spoiled with ZPZ. Or maybe the whole AZ vs DZ has left a lingering aftertaste.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:36 am 

BBP wrote:
I don't think "we" have changed per se, and remember initial reception of ZPZ was not 100% enthusiasm either. With a hologram we're guaranteed to get the same show every night.

Let's not forget one of Zappa's skills was that of show-man, there are countless moments on the live albums that make me think "oh I wish I was there" and there is no way this hologram can replicate stuff like the London Poetry Slam.

Maybe we've gotten spoiled with ZPZ. Or maybe the whole AZ vs DZ has left a lingering aftertaste.

So true BBP, the "Show" aspect of a FZ concert is the point I always try to communicate to someone when I introduce them to Frank, it was that unpredictability that excited me before an FZ concert...which I think DZ started to capture a few years ago with his background stories on the songs, his experiences with his dad on certain songs, and his explanations for how he captured the sound of a song or era of music has made the concerts more than just the music especially since he always adds some humorous aspect to the story that gets a laugh...my hope is this is not lost on the organizers of the Hologram Tour.... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:46 am 

KUIII wrote:
^^^The future is scary... :shock:

I don’t think the people on this forum are especially representative of Zappa fans or people that would go to this show. Let’s face it, there are only about 10-20 people that are consistently active on this site. That is a tiny, tiny sample of fans. The 13 ZPZ shows I’ve seen since 2006 have been generally well attended in 1000 seat venues, more or less. Multiply that by all the other parts of the globe that ZPZ plays and that shows there are plenty of people interested in a show like this that don’t care about online forums. :idea:

Actually I track view counts on many threads and there are hundreds to thousands of hits a day, this cannot be the same 10 or 20 usual suspects viewing the same threads dozens of times a day, no I suspect there are thousands of people from all over the world on this site a day checking conversations without speaking or expressing an opinion...I have actually meet folks at concert who knew who I was from reading this forum as far away as Wisconsin and as near as Sacramento...when Kapt Kiirk introduced me to DZ's wife Megan in SLO she knew who I was do to the death of my wife.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:41 am 

Good point, Plook.

Lots of lurkers, for sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next