Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 pm 

Northwestern University is playing a concert of both Varese and Frank's music. Greatest hits of both composers, such as Pedro's Dowry, Dog/Meat, Ionization, etc. It's being presented in Millennium Park downtown, for free.

FYI https://artscircle.northwestern.edu/mus ... c-ensemble

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:44 pm 

May 28.... be there and be square :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:40 pm 

Thanx Ronnys! Its on the calendar, but 6:30 means that I'll have to leave work early. Hope it works out. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:13 pm 

Psssst! A friend tells me that the day before this show, at Fulton street collective, Chris Siebold will be performing all of hot rats. No info on the site yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:55 am 

^^ Thanks ARKAY. Let us know if you hear any details.........

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:55 am 

I got the date wrong. Its under the name Jazz Record Art Collective, on Thursday, July 6, 9pm – 11pm, the day before DZ @ City Winery. Sheesh.

Here is their calendar, but no idea about tix yet.

http://www.fultonstreetcollective.com/calendar.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:36 pm 

^^^ Thanks RK.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:49 am 

This is an ad that showed up on the sidebar of photobucket...

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:37 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
This is an ad that showed up on the sidebar of photobucket...

Pity it didn't show up here.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:33 am 

Biggest news ever in the whole world: I got my wife to agree to come with me to hear the FZ/Varese concert!

I'm taking bets on when she'll change her mind. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:52 pm 

I'm going on Sunday. Hope it doesn't rain.

Anyone know if you have to get there really early to get non-grass area seating? I don't imagine that Zappa and Varese will draw a huge crowd.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:08 am 

^^^ Dunno how early is good enough, but we are shootin for 3-ish. Have a pic-a-nic and all that with friends.

Ronnys... hope yer wife doesn't change her mind due to rain. My wife is in Napa Valley seeing Foo Fighters at Bottlerock!

Anyone else gonna try out their new (not Sears) Poncho? :D

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:41 pm 

Very much enjoyed the show, especially cool with FZ as the emcee.
We expected rain and never got it, a nice day.
The performances were mostly great, especially in the earlier pieces. I moved around a bunch to get various perspectives on what I was hearing. There were different ensembles playing as the night progressed and if was difficult to see the instrumentation. Some video would've helped me on these pieces. I thought G-Spot was a bit muddy, but overall a great evening.
Another thing I enjoyed... ya know those stabbing sustained dissonant chords that FZ uses in various orchestra pieces... here they were gorgeous, better than any recorded album. Live music!

... thought it was a bit funny to see that omnipresent pic of FZ Yawning while facing the orchestra! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:58 pm 

^Nice. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:12 am 

^^^ Cool, Manx.

After the Hot Rats performance in July, the next FZ-in-Chicago showz on the horizon:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:31 am 

Well, my wife finally did poop out. After I described Varese, she got scared and didn't think she'd like it. However this is the closest I've ever gotten to having her attend anything FZ. There's hope yet.

But I went anyway, and loved the show. Very energetic young players who seemed to handle the music's complexity quite well. Anyone who doubts that Varese was a major factor in Frank's music should have seen this show. The lineage is inescapable. And I found Varese's pieces much more accessible than I'd anticipated, having never heard any of it live before. THERE'S NOTHING LIKE LIVE MUSIC, INDEED!

Good sound overall, provided you account for the fact that it was an outdoor facility and the instruments were miked. I thought the violins and violas were too low in the mix. But I quibble. It was fucking excellent.

I'm in one of Arkay's pix.... can you find me? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:06 pm 

Went to Progtoberfest last year for Beer For Dolphins and the Keith Emerson tribute nights. I like that Reggie's has a record store upstairs. Definitely going back this year again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:22 pm 

Well, we'll have to meet up at the show, SB!
As for the show, in the poster below, it sez that The Chicago Zappa Collective will perform Billy the Mountain in it's entirety, but Reggie's web page sez Joe's Garage:

http://www.reggieslive.com/showtag/progtoberfest-III/

I'm happy either way, though I guess I'd lean towards Billy. I've seen them perform Joe's before and it was great, but the last time I saw Billy, it was as a different ensemble (still Chris Siebold on guitar). They also did BWTHW last year.
Besides, that all doesn't count that there will be a MK w/ BFD show, the Don & Bunk show, Chester Thompson playing with Alphonso Johnson and maybe there will be a reprise of MK sitting in with Necromonkey.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:09 am 

Ronnys... need a clue... would you be wearing a hat?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:24 pm 

Hat. 3rd picture from the last. I looked for you. You must have been on the move.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:33 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Was that the complete audience? Very sad!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 am 

^^^ There were a lot more people than that, but it wasn't close to selling out. There's a grass area in the back that had a lot of folks on blankets and lawn chairs and stuff. My guess is a thousand were in attendance, but I'm always bad at this, talk to Arkay.... :) A pretty diverse crowd.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:36 pm 

For that pic, we're looking at the back rows of the pavilion on the less-filled side. Of course, this is nowhere near capacity for the pavilion, but there were crowds of people on the grass just outside of the pavilion and then a sparse scattering of people throughout the rest of the lawn. Many of the people on the lawn were there to hang out with their kids, play frisbee or otherwise have a nice place to spend the afternoon/evening and had no idea who FZ or Varese were.
I don't think that the most optimistic FZ fan could expect a park that size to fill to capacity, but I was hoping for a bit more than this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 am 

Finally got an update on the Hot Rats Show...

Due to crazy circumstances and poor timing, the performance of Hot Rats at Fulton Street Collective has been held over until Thursday, Oct 5th. The band will be the same: Gerald Dowd, Aaron McEvers, Katherine Andrick, Larry Kohut, Paul Mutzabaugh, Ben Lewis, John Bowes and Chris Siebold.

Larry Kohut is an awesome bass player. I went to college with him for a few terms in the 80s.