Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:40 am
Posts: 2552
Frank was certainly brought up as a Catholic but he once said this during an interview on The Howard Stern Show in the 80s...

OK well, after around 20 minutes trawling through my HDD I can't find the interview so I can't get the exact quote, but he said something like this...

Howard: So you were a Catholic right?
Frank: Yes.
Howard: So what happene to that?
Frank: I got out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:01 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Illinios
I don't think Frank had any set religion but probably developed his own personal philosophy based on his own knowledge and life experiences. The fact that he didn't believe in the big guy in the sky doesn't mean that he had no beliefs at all, and if he did say that he had no beliefs he probably just said it to fuck with people. Like it or not Zappa was a cynical guy who loved fucking with people and testing them and then exposing them for what they really where in his eyes. Whatever he did believe in there is one thing that I am sure of- if Frank where alive to see this forum we'd definitely get to hear a hilarious song about devoted music fans who spend a great deal of time trying to impress each other with all of the trivial facts they know about their idols regarding everything from what their dog's name was to how many hairs grew on his ass which has nothing to do with music they produced!

_________________
Protect your Christmas Tree from dangerous terrorists.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 pm
Posts: 754
ilovemyjesus wrote:
I don't think Frank had any set religion but probably developed his own personal philosophy based on his own knowledge and life experiences. The fact that he didn't believe in the big guy in the sky doesn't mean that he had no beliefs at all,


do you not know the difference of "religion" and "beliefs"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:01 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Illinios
Raoul Duke wrote:
ilovemyjesus wrote:
I don't think Frank had any set religion but probably developed his own personal philosophy based on his own knowledge and life experiences. The fact that he didn't believe in the big guy in the sky doesn't mean that he had no beliefs at all,


do you not know the difference of "religion" and "beliefs"?


Yes I do what's your point? Religion and beliefs are often used interchangeably, but it's easy to dodge the main point when you are busy splitting hairs. The topic is debating Franks religion (or lack thereof) not you and your vocabulary... but keep it up I'm very impressed.

_________________
Protect your Christmas Tree from dangerous terrorists.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 pm
Posts: 754
youre saying because frank had some beleifs he therefore had some form of religion. thats dumb logic and doesnt make sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:01 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Illinios
When I said beliefs I obviously meant religious beliefs. Not everybody believes in a set religion, some people just have their own beliefs about where we came from and where they are going and so on. Philosophy is based on beliefs and religion is based on philosophy, sometimes people come up with their own philosophy and to them it is like a religion. Often people keep their philosophies to themselves, but some people do share their philosophies with others and sometimes they actually recruit a lot of followers and that is how religions come to be.

_________________
Protect your Christmas Tree from dangerous terrorists.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 pm
Posts: 754
ilovemyjesus wrote:
When I said beliefs I obviously meant religious beliefs. Not everybody believes in a set religion, some people just have their own beliefs about where we came from and where they are going and so on. Philosophy is based on beliefs and religion is based on philosophy, sometimes people come up with their own philosophy and to them it is like a religion. Often people keep their philosophies to themselves, but some people do share their philosophies with others and sometimes they actually recruit a lot of followers and that is how religions come to be.


And? i know this, why are you saying this? you said Frank had religion because he had his own beliefs, youre still wrong and you are digging a deeper whole for yourself


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 8117
Location: exile
Rob Samler: What do you think happens to us when we die?

Frank Zappa: Dust.

Rob Samler: That's pretty much what I think. We become worm food.

Frank Zappa: Yeah, unless of course you're cremated... BUT.. I will say, and this doesn't put you in the realm of metaphysics, that something animates you while you are alive. There's an electrochemical process that animates this bag of shit that everybody has to drag around, OK? So it is not impossible that at the point where the electro-chemical process that's motivating the bag of shit ceases to be strong enough to make that bag of shit move around, that energy may be exchanged, and may dissipate and have an existence of its own without the bag of shit. I wouldn't want to extrapolate that into the world of ghosts and goblins...

Rob Samler: Right. I mean, it's hard to say, since...

Frank Zappa: Well, I believe that those energies and processes exist. I just don't think that they've been adequately described or adequately named yet, because people are too willing to make it all into something that supports a religious theory of one flavor or another. If you start defining these things in nuts-and-bolts scientific terms, people reject it because it's not fun, y'know. It takes some of the romance out of being dead...

Rob Samler: Right.

Frank Zappa:...because of people's desires to have eternal life and to extend their influence from beyond the grave...all that Houdini type stuff... but basically, I think when you're dead...you're dead. It comes with the territory.

society pages 1991

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:24 pm
Posts: 5335
Location: somewhere in Ohio
I was just about to post that, LG! Great minds think alike. ;-)

_________________
It's like that old song, “Blomp Blomp-a Noop Noop A-Noop Noop Noop.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 17915
Location: City Of Tiny Lites
Quote:
So it is not impossible that at the point where the electro-chemical process that's motivating the bag of shit ceases to be strong enough to make that bag of shit move around, that energy may be exchanged, and may dissipate and have an existence of its own without the bag of shit. I wouldn't want to extrapolate that into the world of ghosts and goblins...


A true open minded thinker...

suterb wrote:
I was just about to post that, LG! Great minds think alike. ;-)


I was looking for that quote earlier too, thanks Lumpy...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 8117
Location: exile
suterb wrote:
I was just about to post that, LG! Great minds think alike. ;-)

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I was looking for that quote earlier too, thanks Lumpy...


well, that interview says it all about zappa's "religious beliefs," doesn't it?

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: jim
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:35 am
Posts: 1068
Location: Sweden
I would do anything to believe that theres something more than this life...but i cant :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: jim
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 pm
Posts: 754
jimmy "the hindu&q wrote:
I would do anything to believe that theres something more than this life...but i cant :cry:


why?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: jim
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:35 am
Posts: 1068
Location: Sweden
The tought of knowing that you will stop existing when you die is very depressing...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:13 am
Posts: 2272
Location: england
why have we got 2 threads on the same subject running concurrently? Image

_________________
''minimart - it's basically a scaled-down supermarket, fits inside a petrol station. sells pies, antifreeze..''


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 36577
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
timm0 wrote:
why have we got 2 threads on the same subject running concurrently? Image

This way, if one gets hijacked, everyone else can quick beat their meat over to the other one.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: jim
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 pm
Posts: 754
jimmy "the hindu&q wrote:
The tought of knowing that you will stop existing when you die is very depressing...


sounds like you must have a fucking huge ego then...


zappa definantly did GET religion. he got it, he knew what it was about and that's why he rejected it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:40 am
Posts: 2552
How is a fear of death egotistical?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 5:45 am
Posts: 59
Location: Portland
Discussions about "God" are always frustrating because you're discussing a word that is poorly defined and over-defined and essentially undefined. In other words, ask 100 people to explain what "God" is and you'll get 100 different stories. No one really knows who, what, or if God is. Right? OK then.

Pretty much the same goes for "what happens when you die?" type questions. Everyone has beliefs, which are by definition unproven. It's amusing to speculate on the possibilities, but it doesn't really matter. The only people who could tell us what happens "after" can't talk anymore.

Personally, I think God's name is Art, and my favorite incarnation is Music. Music is best. :)

_________________
If I'm not alone . . . how long have I been asleep?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 pm
Posts: 754
Crudblud wrote:
How is a fear of death egotistical?


he didnt say he feared death, he said he feared that after death he would stop existing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: jim
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:35 am
Posts: 1068
Location: Sweden
It depend in what you define as a huge ego...i do care about other people as well as myself...and i dont like when other people die


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: jim
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 pm
Posts: 754
jimmy "the hindu&q wrote:
It depend in what you define as a huge ego...i do care about other people as well as myself...and i dont like when other people die


im talking about fraudian ego.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: jim
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:35 am
Posts: 1068
Location: Sweden
Raoul Duke wrote:
im talking about fraudian ego.


?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: jim
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 36577
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Raoul Duke wrote:
im talking about fraudian ego.

Fraudian ego.....that's where a person feels him or herself to be nothing but a big phoney, right??? :)
For my part, if not wanting to die means I have a huge, wackin' ego, I can live with that. No shame. I hate it, in movies, when some nimrod shouts "Did you want to live forever?" Fuck yes, I do. If I'm alive, I can always die if I want to. If I'm dead, that's it. No changing my mind and coming back to life. So, yes, my ego says "stick around as close to forever as possible". Because I figure death is it. No chapter 2.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: jim
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:35 am
Posts: 1068
Location: Sweden
Thanks Dog.. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group