Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 876, 877, 878, 879, 880  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:16 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
There are myriad of legal protections in place to stop any deconstruction of the US Constitution without complete agreement from all political parties and a referendum/vote by the people, without any electoral college hocus pocus.

Ghost Note: I love this thing, as do many of the folks I've spoken to.....apparently there are already plans afoot to steal it.....

Muhahahaha!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:49 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
There are myriad of legal protections in place to stop any deconstruction of the US Constitution without complete agreement from all political parties and a referendum/vote by the people, without any electoral college hocus pocus.

in local news

Wellington City Council responds to criticism of 'nightmare' hand statue
Vita Molyneux
4 hrs ago

© Supplied/ Christchurch Art Gallery
The instalment of a new "nightmarish" sculpture atop Wellington's City Gallery has caused controversy across the capital - and now the city council has weighed in.

Wellington City Council stood up for the city's new artwork initially, posting its support on Twitter.

"This 'nightmare' is our delightful new resident and we won't hear a word against him," it wrote on Wednesday.

The tweet was accompanied by a frighteningly close-up picture of Quasi.

"We love this little guy. So if you're not a fan I suggest you talk to the hand," the council continued, accompanied by another picture of the sculpture.

However, a picture of Quasi in the darkest hour of the night seemed to sway Wellington City Council.

In the image, Quasi stares blankly into the camera, illuminated in the blackness by a bright light.

"Well, okay," wrote the council.

"It is a little creepy…"

Quasi has made world news since his arrival in Wellington from Christchurch.

The giant, anthropomorphic hand was airlifted into place on Monday and instantly received ruthless criticism.

The five-metre tall hand was called "nightmarish," "hideous" "frightening" by social media users.

He's scheduled to be stationed above the gallery for the next three to four years.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/ ... ocid=ientp

Ghost Note: I love this thing, as do many of the folks I've spoken to.....apparently there are already plans afoot to steal it.....

I like it too although the face kind of reminds me of Trump. Hand’s much too big though. Some people always get upset about a new art installation, public building, park design, etc. but they eventually get used to it and it becomes a non-issue. Some of the original critics will even like it in time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:32 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Wellington City Council responds to criticism of 'nightmare' hand statue

The five-metre tall hand was called "nightmarish," "hideous" "frightening" by social media users.

So what.
You're only allowed to see bunnies, now?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:59 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
My point was...that once the left start to chisel away at the 2nd Amendment and potentially succeed through whatever means necessary, they obviously won't stop and will attempt to deconstruct other parts of the US Constitution if they can. Don't pretend like that wouldn't happen if they got their way...:roll:

You’d make a good parrot, DB. Polly, want a cracker? :)

That argument is ridiculous. It’s like saying you can’t mow the lawn because you’re afraid you’re going to cut the big oak tree in the middle of it down.

At a glance, it appears Canadian gun laws and requirements are more stringent than in the U.S. Do you oppose these laws?

No, it's not ridiculous, unless you actually think that the left would all of a sudden stop dead in their tracks if they started to chisel away at the 2nd Amendment successfully, since there are MILLIONS of far-left nutjobs out there... :roll:

Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
My point was...that once the left start to chisel away at the 2nd Amendment and potentially succeed through whatever means necessary, they obviously won't stop and will attempt to deconstruct other parts of the US Constitution if they can. Don't pretend like that wouldn't happen if they got their way...:roll:

And in order to make this point, you found it necessary to attack the views of someone who wasn't talking about the 2nd amendment at all.

You mean like how you've constantly attacked and misquoted me for YEARS now...? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:34 pm 

Ah, poor, wee Disco Boy; just minding his own business, making daisy chains and chatting with his chums, when wicked old Caputh pounces and viciously misquotes him.
Btw, as many here and indeed on other forums have tried to explain to you, "misquote" does not mean what you appear to think it means. One does not need to know every word in the English language, but it is useful to know the meaning of the words one frequently employs oneself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:44 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Ah, poor, wee Disco Boy; just minding his own business, making daisy chains and chatting with his chums, when wicked old Caputh pounces and viciously misquotes him.
Btw, as many here and indeed on other forums have tried to explain to you, "misquote" does not mean what you appear to think it means. One does not need to know every word in the English language, but it is useful to know the meaning of the words one frequently employs oneself.

Donald misquotes me every single day, maybe I'd be better off single :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:22 am 

Melania Trump wrote:
Caputh wrote:

Donald misquotes me every single day, maybe I'd be better off single :smoke:

whisper absurd into his ear, deflate his erection and single in a heartbeat darling

Last edited by Gray_Ghost on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:26 am 

I'll give it my best shot
Quote:
Well you're a real tough cookie with a long history
Of breaking little hearts like the one in me
That's okay, let's see how you do it
Put up you dukes, let's get down to it
Hit me with your best shot
Why don't you hit me with your best shot
Hit me with your best shot
Fire away

https://youtu.be/iM1a5D3fBAo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:20 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
Caputh wrote:
And in order to make this point, you found it necessary to attack the views of someone who wasn't talking about the 2nd amendment at all.
8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:22 pm 

Caputh wrote:

So now you're claiming you don't misquote or take my statements out of context, while conveniently leaving out key information?! Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. And monkeys can fly out of my butt!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:36 pm 

So you've just noticed that I have stated that? My, you are quick on the uptake! Could you please describe the process whereby the monkeys get up your butt in the first place? Do they do it voluntarily?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:12 am 

As Amazon burns, wildfires spark fight over who is to blame

As experts count record number of blazes, Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro lashes media critics who say he’s not doing enough to stop deforestation

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — As fires raged in the Amazon rainforest, the Brazilian government on Thursday denounced international critics who say President Jair Bolsonaro is not doing enough to curb massive deforestation.

The growing threat to what some call “the lungs of the planet” has ignited a bitter dispute about who is to blame during the tenure of a leader who described Brazil’s rainforest protections as an obstacle to economic development.

The president’s defiance came as its own federal experts reported a record number of wildfires across the country this year, up 84 percent over the same period in 2018. Satellite images show smoke from the Amazon reaching across the Latin American continent to the Atlantic coast and Sao Paulo, Brazil’s biggest city, according to the World Meteorological Organization.

On Thursday, Bolsonaro said there was a “very strong” indication that some non-governmental groups could be setting blazes in retaliation for losing state funds under his administration. He did not provide any evidence.

Bolsonaro, who won election last year, also accused media organizations of exploiting the fires to undermine his government.

“Most of the media wants Brazil to end up like Venezuela,” he said, referring to political and economic turbulence in the neighboring South American country.

London-based Amnesty International blamed the Brazilian government for the fires, which have escalated international concern over the vast rainforest that is a major absorber of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

The rights group this year documented illegal land invasions and arson attacks near indigenous territories in the Amazon, including Rondonia state, where many fires are raging, said Kumi Naidoo, Amnesty’s secretary-general.

“Instead of spreading outrageous lies or denying the scale of deforestation taking place, we urge the president to take immediate action to halt the progress of these fires,” Naidoo said.

The WWF conservation group also challenged Bolsonaro’s allegations about NGOs, saying they divert “the focus of attention from what really matters: the well-being of nature and the people of the Amazon.”

Brazil contains about 60 percent of the Amazon rainforest, whose degradation could have severe consequences for global climate and rainfall. Bolsonaro, who has said he wants to convert land for cattle pastures and soybean farms, won office after channeling outrage over the corruption scandals of the former government.

Citing Brazil’s apparent lack of commitment to fighting deforestation, Germany and Norway have decided to withhold more than $60 million in funds earmarked for sustainability projects in Brazil’s forests.

Filipe Martins, an adviser to Bolsonaro, said on Twitter that the Brazilian government is committed to fighting illegal deforestation and that many other countries are causing environmental damage.

The Amazon will be saved by Brazil and not “the empty, hysterical and misleading rhetoric of the mainstream media, transnational bureaucrats and NGOs,” Martins said.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/as-amazon-burns-wildfires-spark-fight-over-who-is-to-blame/

I could comment point by point, but don't have the time right now.

Now, I hope I can enlist some solidarity for what we are going thourgh, since finally the global relevance of this country has surfaced in the international media priority.

Many demonstrations are scheduled for today and next Sunday, around the world.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:18 pm 

"brazilian home affairs"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:55 pm 

Although BBC displays a "why you can trust us" badge, while stating that the Amazon is a "major source of oxygen for the planet", and the above cartoon may want to make us believe, no the Amazon is nor an important source of oxygen (all is yielded there is more or less consumed there) and it is not the lungs of the world. The oxygen we breath comes from the ocean, from cyanobacteria (blue-green algae). It is a major reserve of carbon, though. Telling lies or misinforming the public is not the best strategy to beat a liar...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:54 pm 

Seth Moulton ended his 2020 Presidential campaign.

I guess the breaking news part is that there's a guy named Seth Moulton, who was running for President...

:P :roll: :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:25 pm 

Russia Today puts Japan on the map, where New Zealand should be

New channel apologises to New Zealanders for map mix-up that also labelled Papua New Guinea as South Korea

Russian news channel RT has apologised for apparently accidentally labelling New Zealand as “Japan”, and Papua New Guinea as “South Korea” in an embarrassing southern hemisphere mix-up.

The mistake came in a segment produced by their US bureau about potential new missile bases in “Japan, South Korea and Australia”. But in a large, erroneous graphic only Australia was correctly labelled.

It is the latest in a long line of incidents involving New Zealand and geographic mistakes. The country is left off maps so frequently it prompted the prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, to star in a special light-hearted campaign in protest, back in 2018.

A spokesperson for RT confirmed to New Zealand news site Newshub that the mistake was genuine.

“Our American early morning news team suffered a little geography mishap,” a spokesperson said. “We ... have corrected ours as soon as it was spotted, and have given our team a new map of the southern hemisphere to ensure it doesn’t happen again.”

The segment, aired on 15 August, has since been corrected in the online version and remains available on YouTube on RT America’s channel. The caption makes clear that “this video includes a corrected map”.

In the segment, titled “Manoeuvring missiles”, correspondent Ashlee Banks explained how the US was looking at potential missile bases in Asia.

“Another fight between the US and China is heating up, this time it’s over missiles,” she said. “The US has officially withdrawn from the intermediate range nuclear forces treaty and now plans to place weapons across the Asia Pacific.

“The US is looking to place missiles in Japan, South Korea and Australia,” she said, even as the graphic showed something else.

New Zealand, a country of 4.7 million people, is so often forgotten on maps that Tourism New Zealand launched an entire campaign based on the phenomenon.

With Ardern and comedian Rhys Darby, it described it as “the next great conspiracy: New Zealand is disappearing off world maps”.

A Reddit thread dedicated to recording incidents where New Zealand is left off global maps has more than 74,000 subscribers – among them the infamous map of the world made entirely out of chicken nuggets, but without New Zealand.

I always thought Kiwi's where weird , hope they confuse the Sheep for Whales :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:50 am 

Eddie Money diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer :|

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8528277/eddie-money-diagnosed-with-stage-4-esophageal-cancer-axs-real-money

Post subject: #DesculpaBrigitte
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:14 pm 

#DésoléeBrigitte

Sorry Brigitte, in the name of all good will Brazilians, our leader has the mentality of a spoiled child. He was elected by 33% of the electoral college, after a judge (who was later caught red handed) condemned the isolated favorite (Lula) for prison, on wobbly evidence, and who was later turned Minister of Justice, by the one who benefited from his actions. As for his wife, she has received a suspicious check on her account, her mother is a document tamperer and her grandmother is a former pusher...

Désolée, mes amis Français du forum...

Context:
Macron condemns Bolsonaro for ‘disrespectful’ post about his wife
French President Emmanuel Macron has lashed out at Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro for endorsing "rude" remarks about his wife.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49474421

https://twitter.com/paulocoelho

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:28 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:39 am 

Yep, so the guy elected as PM by 92,000 Conservatives and whose stated aim was to "take back sovereignty" for parliament from the "unelected" bureaucrats of Brussels does his best to prevent parliament from exercising that sovereignty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:18 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:

Sorry, Eddie! I wore the shit out of the first Eddie Money album and had a few of his other early records as well. Enjoy every sandwich!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:39 am 

Robert F. Kennedy assassin Sirhan Sirhan stabbed in prison

Sirhan, who was convicted in the 1968 shooting death of the Democratic presidential candidate, is serving a life sentence in a California prison

Aug. 30, 2019, 8:13 PM PDT
By Dennis Romero

The man convicted of killing Robert F. Kennedy was injured Friday in a stabbing in a California prison, officials said.

NBC San Diego confirmed the attack on Sirhan Bishara Sirhan, 75, citing law enforcement sources.

A government source with direct knowledge also confirmed to The Associated Press that he was the victim.

"There was an assault on an inmate on Friday, August 30 at Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility at 2:21 p.m.," the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said in a statement.

"Officers responded quickly, and found an inmate with stab wound injuries," the department said, adding that the victim was stabilized at a hospital.

A suspect in the stabbing was placed in administrative segregation pending an investigation, corrections officials said.

Thomas Shoots, a spokesman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, confirmed that a minutes after the reported attack, paramedics rushed to the prison in San Diego County and found a victim bleeding from the neck.

Sirhan shot Kennedy on Jun. 5, 1968, in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, where the presidential hopeful was celebrating victory in the California Democratic primary.

Sirhan, a Christian-born Palestinian from Jordan who opposed Kennedy's support for Israel, was convicted in the death and is serving a life sentence.

At least six inmates were injured in a riot a week ago at the prison near the U.S.-Mexico border.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:04 am 

British Government Loses Its Majority

Conservative MP Philip Lee has defected to the Liberal Democrats ahead of a showdown between Boris Johnson and Tory rebels over Brexit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49570682

Jos Collignon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:08 pm 

What's the deal with so many mass shootings and other forms of gun violence in Texas? Isn't everyone in that state armed to prevent such a thing from happening? Isn't that the theory?

Guy Holds Up Popeyes at Gunpoint for Sold-Out Chicken Sandwich
A group of three men and two women tried to force their way into a Popeyes restaurant in Houston, demanding the highly coveted sandwich.

By Jelisa Castrodale

Last Tuesday, Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen managed to ruin everyone's lives by tweeting a seven-word declarative sentence: "Unfortunately, we're sold out (for now)." Yeah, that sandwich slaps so hard that it's out-of-stock everywhere until further notice. The next day, it promised that The Sandwich would be back in its restaurants "as soon as possible" and suggested that we should all download its app so we'd know exactly when we should start lining up to collectively overwhelm its employees.

But apparently a group of three men and two women weren't cool with waiting for push notifications, and they tried to force their way into a Popeyes restaurant in Houston, demanding The Sandwich immediately. (A baby was also tangentially involved, but he or she remained in the car.)

According to ABC7, the group of five started in the drive-thru line, and a Popeyes worker had to gently break the news that The Sandwich was unavailable. That was apparently the wrong answer, so they allegedly parked their vehicle and they tried to force their way into the restaurant. One of the men took a handgun to the door with him, but the employees were able to keep the group out; fortunately, no shots were fired, and no injuries were reported.

"When the manager told them they were out, one of the males became upset and pulled a pistol and demanded a chicken sandwich. The manager again informed them they were out of sandwiches," Lt. Larry Crowson of the Houston Police Department told the Associated Press.

In an interview with ABC13, Crowson said that he would categorize the incident as an aggravated assault "because he was displaying a weapon and threatened employees." None of the suspects have been apprehended as of this writing, and the gunman was described as "having small dreadlocks" and facial tattoos. The group got back into their blue SUV and fled the scene. (VICE has reached out to the Houston Police Department for comment.)

Doing what the NRA tells him to do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:41 pm 

Retroage indeed. :o At least she seemingly does not like Donald. :mrgreen: :D

Quote:
Granny (83) addicted to Tinder: "Sex with fifty young men in eight months"

Quote:
The 83-year-old Hattie Retroage from New York did not get stuck after her divorce. After a 25-year marriage, in which she said she had an excellent sex life, the stubborn lady decided to install the dating app Tinder on her mobile phone to explore her chances in the relationship market. Result? In eight months she had dates with no fewer than fifty, much younger, men. "And I went into the suitcase with them all."

The extremely virile Retroage (probably a fictitious last name, ed.) Started dating not only because she finds it a fun activity, but also to check whether it is true that many young men secretly fall for much older, experienced and intelligent women. According to her, the latter is 100% correct, she says with a glance in a video from Barcroft TV in which her striking lifestyle is described with the words “extreme love”. The American herself thinks that there is nothing special about her constant search for intimacy and more: "After my divorce, I missed that terribly."

After she and her husband broke up last year, Retroage initially decided to put an "old-fashioned dating advertisement" in a local newspaper. It didn't take long for the offers to come in. “I was overwhelmed with reactions. Then I decided to have a few auditioned to find out what kind of meat I would get in the tub. ”

It was, as New York emphasizes, mainly younger guys who wanted to try it with her. “Great right? They only want me for a few dates and of course a good sex. Thank goodness my dates don't want to become a permanent part of my life. And, quite frankly, I am not waiting for that at all. Far too tiring. "

Cougar
Retroage, who switched from newspaper advertisements to digital dating via apps like Tinder, has no problem with the world calling her a 'cougar' that cannot be tamed: an economically independent woman who aspires to (sexual) relationships with many younger men. “I am not a sexual predator that is constantly on the hunt. The reality is that I never approach a man. They always come to me. "

The mother of two children is "swiping" almost every day on Tinder where her short biography states that she is "a fascinating older beauty". And also: "I am looking for a younger friend for adventure and passion who is honest and does not support Donald Trump." The youngest friend with whom she recently shared the bed was 19 years old. "But he looked a little older." She is currently having an affair with a Shaun who is fifty years younger than she is.

Retroage doesn't mind that her faint romance will go wrong in the long term. “I am only grateful that I can get as much attention and loved ones as I want at my old age. My goal in life is to change the prevailing image in society, that 'expired' seniors no longer count, to something more positive. ”That her dates are mainly about sex is no problem for the woman, who loves jewelry and sexy dresses. "The wonderful superficiality of that is more than enough for me."

https://www.hln.be/bizar/het-leukste-van-het-web/oma-83-verslaafd-aan-tinder-seks-met-vijftig-jongemannen-op-acht-maanden-tijd~a93c242e/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 876, 877, 878, 879, 880  Next