Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:27 pm 

Melania Trump wrote:
I try to keep on top

and bouncing things off the forum.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:59 pm 

silicon will never do

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:31 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
lives don't matter to the nra and the gun manufacturers and their lobbyists who fill the pockets of greedy politicians who don't care about people's lives either.

this whole gun culture needs to change.

but, I'm sorry to say, I don't think it will...
Disco Boy wrote:
Over 90% of all firearm related deaths in the US annually are caused by ILLEGAL firearms (most criminals do NOT purchase firearms LEGALLY for obvious reasons!!!). This means that banning them, or destroying the 2nd Amendment will result in a modern civil war, causing MILLIONS of people to die because most firearm owners won't just give their weapons up without a fight. And especially considering there are only roughly 700,000 law enforcement officials and over 300 million firearms in the US, these officials couldn't even begin to confiscate all of them.

However, with the 2nd Amendment intact, only 10,000-12,000 people die (minus suicides) due to firearm related deaths annually in the US.

Which is worse?! :roll:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
ok. that's your opinion. or theory. or whatever that was.

I just don't see why you quoted me.

I didn't say anything about banning all firearms and/or destroying the 2nd amendment...
Disco Boy wrote:
I quoted your post because it's obviously not correct and because you (like many here) need to be informed.

And btw, the only part of my above post that is an opinion is the general amount of people who will die (in the MILLIONS) if that were to happen, since we don't know the exact amount...
if what were to happen?

one last time, disco boy: I never said anything about banning all firearms and/or destroying the 2nd amendment...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:40 pm 

Why don't we just line up every one the US and give them all one shot at each other, then who every is left standing can clean up the mess and put the guns away................

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:02 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
lives don't matter to the nra and the gun manufacturers and their lobbyists who fill the pockets of greedy politicians who don't care about people's lives either.

Disco Boy wrote:
Over 90% of all firearm related deaths in the US annually are caused by ILLEGAL firearms (most criminals do NOT purchase firearms LEGALLY for obvious reasons!!!). This means that banning them, or destroying the 2nd Amendment will result in a modern civil war, causing MILLIONS of people to die because most firearm owners won't just give their weapons up without a fight. And especially considering there are only roughly 700,000 law enforcement officials and over 300 million firearms in the US, these officials couldn't even begin to confiscate all of them.

However, with the 2nd Amendment intact, only 10,000-12,000 people die (minus suicides) due to firearm related deaths annually in the US.

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

I didn't say anything about banning all firearms and/or destroying the 2nd amendment...
Disco Boy wrote:
I quoted your post because it's obviously not correct and because you (like many here) need to be informed.

And btw, the only part of my above post that is an opinion is the general amount of people who will die (in the MILLIONS) if that were to happen, since we don't know the exact amount...
if what were to happen?

one last time, disco boy: I never said anything about banning all firearms and/or destroying the 2nd amendment...

An example of projection (#8 on MTF list of gaslighting). Even though Lumpy says absolutely nothing about banning firearms and/or destroying the 2nd Amendment, Disco Boy takes him to have meant that, his source apparently being the sentence "... this whole gun culture needs to change." He fails to recognize that this could include any number of other measures (e.g. educational programmes, governmental enlightentment). He also utterly ignores the sentence "but, I'm sorry to say, I don't think it will", which could actually be a reference to the reasons that he, himself, gives. It is like he's the drunk in the bar who is looking for a fight and it wouldn't matter what you said - he wants a fight.

Last edited by Caputh on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:37 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:01 am 

When you see a young white guy with a giant American flag mounted in the back of his four wheel drive truck revving his engine and driving too fast in a quiet residential neighborhood at 9am on a Sunday morning should I be concerned? I wonder how many assault rifles he owns.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:17 am 

KUIII wrote:
When you see a young white guy with a giant American flag mounted in the back of his four wheel drive truck revving his engine and driving too fast in a quiet residential neighborhood at 9am on a Sunday morning should I be concerned? I wonder how many assault rifles he owns.

Don't worry, it's more afraid of you than you are of it. Oh wait, that's part of the problem... :|

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:35 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

Disco Boy wrote:

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

Disco Boy wrote:

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
if what were to happen?

Caputh wrote:
An example of projection (#8 on MTF list of gaslighting). Even though Lumpy says absolutely nothing about banning firearms and/or destroying the 3nd Amendment, Disco Boy takes him to have meant that, his source apparently being the sentence "... this whole gun culture needs to change." He fails to recognize that this could include any number of other measures (e.g. educational programmes, governmental enlightentment). He also utterly ignores the sentence "but, I'm sorry to say, I don't think it will", which could actually be a reference to the reasons that he, himself, gives. It is like he's the drunk in the bar who is looking for a fight and it wouldn't matter what you said - he wants a fight.

thanks, caputh. you interpreted my original post they way I intended it (and I'm sure most forum members did too).

but, you'd better fix that tiny typo in your post, before disco boy comes down on you. 3nd amendment... thirnd? 8)

Last edited by Lumpy Gravy on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:40 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
. . . but, you'd better fix that tiny typo in your post, before disco boy comes down on you. 3nd amendment... thirnd? 8)
I thought it added a nice twist. 8)

Mike Luckovich

Chip Bok

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:32 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

but, you'd better fix that tiny typo in your post, before disco boy comes down on you. 3nd amendment... thirnd? 8)

ONE.MORE.TIME.FOR.THE.WORLD.

As anyone who isn't a total MORON cannot fail to see (like most of the people on this forum), I OBVIOUSLY intended to make a joke about the 3nd (Turdened) Amendment, you fucking Liberal pull-your-foreskin-over-your-head radiator. You're misquoting AGAIN! :roll:

Actually not; my finger slipped between the "3" and the "2", which are next to each other on my keyboard - mea culpa. Corrected it all the same, though. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:33 pm 

^^^^^ perfect. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:38 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
if what were to happen?

Translation:

I'll play dumb (but then again, I actually am) and act like I don't know what you mean, even though I know you're correct but I can't admit it because I'm on one side politically and you're on the other...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:17 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:03 am 

I could be wrong, but.....

I don't think anyone is talking about tearing up the 2nd amendment.....

I don't think that by restricting military weapons and their accessories that the majority of right minded law abiding firearm(s) enthusiasts will rise up and go to war with their fellow Americans and or the Police/FBI/Homeland/National Guard/American Army.....This is not 1861 and America is not the Middle East.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:55 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

I don't think that by restricting military weapons and their accessories that the majority of right minded law abiding firearm(s) enthusiasts will rise up and go to war with their fellow Americans and or the Police/FBI/Homeland/National Guard/American Army.....This is not 1861 and America is not the Middle East.....

yeah and it's not the wild west either.
If anything Portland proved that this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:25 am 

punknaynowned wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Very thoughtful take from a “foreigner” GG, unlike the alien to our north DB. Common sense laws are not about abolishing the 2nd Amendment and never have been.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:13 am 

KUIII wrote:
punknaynowned wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Very thoughtful take from a “foreigner” GG, unlike the alien to our north DB. Common sense laws are not about abolishing the 2nd Amendment and never have been.

I usually don't like to get too serious here KU, but I had a thought..... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:29 am 

How about flowers for bullets :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:19 pm 

My point was...that once the left start to chisel away at the 2nd Amendment and potentially succeed through whatever means necessary, they obviously won't stop and will attempt to deconstruct other parts of the US Constitution if they can. Don't pretend like that wouldn't happen if they got their way...:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:00 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
My point was...that once the left start to chisel away at the 2nd Amendment and potentially succeed through whatever means necessary, they obviously won't stop and will attempt to deconstruct other parts of the US Constitution if they can. Don't pretend like that wouldn't happen if they got their way...:roll:

You’d make a good parrot, DB. Polly, want a cracker? :)

That argument is ridiculous. It’s like saying you can’t mow the lawn because you’re afraid you’re going to cut the big oak tree in the middle of it down.

At a glance, it appears Canadian gun laws and requirements are more stringent than in the U.S. Do you oppose these laws?

Last edited by KUIII on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:48 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

And in order to make this point, you found it necessary to attack the views of someone who wasn't talking about the 2nd amendment at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:14 am 

There are myriad of legal protections in place to stop any deconstruction of the US Constitution without complete agreement from all political parties and a referendum/vote by the people, without any electoral college hocus pocus.

in local news

Wellington City Council responds to criticism of 'nightmare' hand statue
Vita Molyneux
4 hrs ago

© Supplied/ Christchurch Art Gallery
The instalment of a new "nightmarish" sculpture atop Wellington's City Gallery has caused controversy across the capital - and now the city council has weighed in.

Wellington City Council stood up for the city's new artwork initially, posting its support on Twitter.

"This 'nightmare' is our delightful new resident and we won't hear a word against him," it wrote on Wednesday.

The tweet was accompanied by a frighteningly close-up picture of Quasi.

"We love this little guy. So if you're not a fan I suggest you talk to the hand," the council continued, accompanied by another picture of the sculpture.

However, a picture of Quasi in the darkest hour of the night seemed to sway Wellington City Council.

In the image, Quasi stares blankly into the camera, illuminated in the blackness by a bright light.

"Well, okay," wrote the council.

"It is a little creepy…"

Quasi has made world news since his arrival in Wellington from Christchurch.

The giant, anthropomorphic hand was airlifted into place on Monday and instantly received ruthless criticism.

The five-metre tall hand was called "nightmarish," "hideous" "frightening" by social media users.

He's scheduled to be stationed above the gallery for the next three to four years.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/ ... ocid=ientp

Ghost Note: I love this thing, as do many of the folks I've spoken to.....apparently there are already plans afoot to steal it.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:26 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
There are myriad of legal protections in place to stop any deconstruction of the US Constitution without complete agreement from all political parties and a referendum/vote by the people, without any electoral college hocus pocus.

in local news

Wellington City Council responds to criticism of 'nightmare' hand statue
Vita Molyneux
4 hrs ago

© Supplied/ Christchurch Art Gallery
The instalment of a new "nightmarish" sculpture atop Wellington's City Gallery has caused controversy across the capital - and now the city council has weighed in.

Wellington City Council stood up for the city's new artwork initially, posting its support on Twitter.

"This 'nightmare' is our delightful new resident and we won't hear a word against him," it wrote on Wednesday.

The tweet was accompanied by a frighteningly close-up picture of Quasi.

"We love this little guy. So if you're not a fan I suggest you talk to the hand," the council continued, accompanied by another picture of the sculpture.

However, a picture of Quasi in the darkest hour of the night seemed to sway Wellington City Council.

In the image, Quasi stares blankly into the camera, illuminated in the blackness by a bright light.

"Well, okay," wrote the council.

"It is a little creepy…"

Quasi has made world news since his arrival in Wellington from Christchurch.

The giant, anthropomorphic hand was airlifted into place on Monday and instantly received ruthless criticism.

The five-metre tall hand was called "nightmarish," "hideous" "frightening" by social media users.

He's scheduled to be stationed above the gallery for the next three to four years.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/ ... ocid=ientp

Ghost Note: I love this thing, as do many of the folks I've spoken to.....apparently there are already plans afoot to steal it.....

What is the purpose of this thing, is it a reference to something? Perhaps some ancient NZ folklore?
Maybe they could make a compromise. I hear the Hamburger Helper hand is looking for work, still a hand, much more friendly!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:13 am 

Would the founding fathers allow a gun for every person that wanted one? I seem to remember some sort of militia being the purpose of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880  Next