Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21986 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 873, 874, 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:08 am 

Streets A 'War Zone' As Protesters Call For Puerto Rico's Governor To Resign
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/18/742957579/puerto-rican-police-fire-tear-gas-at-huge-protests-over-governors-texts

July 18, 20191:30 AM ET
Heard on Morning Edition
Some of Puerto Rico's biggest stars rallied a crowd of many thousands in San Juan on Wednesday, calling on the island's governor, Ricardo Rosselló, to resign. It was the fifth day in a row of protests in the U.S. territory, following a leak of hundreds of pages of misogynistic and homophobic texts between the governor and his main advisers.

During the day, trap artist Bad Bunny and singer Ricky Martin were among the huge crowd that marched to the governor's mansion.

Tensions ratcheted up in the evening as protesters burst through a barricade at the governor's mansion and security forces fired tear gas at the crowd, causing many to flee into surrounding streets. A livestream from Puerto Rican news site El Nuevo Día showed chaotic scenes of demonstrators confronting riot police a few minutes after midnight local time.

By early hours Thursday, the old city of San Juan resembled a war zone, with police chasing protesters through the streets while firing rubber bullets, gas canisters and what appeared to be flash bombs.

Earlier, demonstrators wearing gas masks and hard hats set a pile of garbage on fire in a plaza, and police quickly fired tear gas at them. A street was shown littered with debris and broken glass.

As El Nuevo Día reported, police spokesperson Axel Valencia said five people were arrested and two people were reported injured.

He said several senior police officers were in the area and ordered the protesters to stand down.

"They were given verbal commands to cease and desist what they were doing. They were throwing rocks, quarter sticks of dynamite. They were throwing many things," Valencia said, according to the news site. "You all saw how close they got to the fences of the perimeter, and well, there came a moment when our personnel had to use tear gases."

The protests have been gaining momentum every day with high-profile support, including from Lin-Manuel Miranda, who led a demonstration in New York calling on Rosselló to step down.

Rosselló has apologized for the texts but has insisted that he intends to remain in office.

In the private chat messages published on Saturday by Puerto Rico's Center for Investigative Journalism, the governor and his inner circle use misogynistic language to talk about women. They use homophobic language to talk about journalists and Ricky Martin. They engage in fat-shaming. They talk about manipulating the media and public opinion polls. And they make jokes about shooting the mayor of San Juan.

The governor's chief financial officers made a joke about the dead bodies that piled up in a government facility before and after Hurricane Maria in 2017. That comment has been particularly galling for many Puerto Ricans still recovering from the deadly storm nearly two years later.

The island is suffering from far more problems than the hurricane. It's been mired in an economic recession for more than a decade, including a debt crisis that has resulted in slashing public services and the imposition of a federal oversight board that has taken control of Puerto Rico's finances. Hundreds of thousands of people have been forced leave the island, a trend that accelerated after the hurricane. For many residents, the chats have become a representation in black and white of the indifference they feel their leaders have for their daily struggles.

Protesters say they expect demonstrations to get bigger should the governor continue clinging to office.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:56 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
The cost of Trump's Endangered Species Act proposal
By Max Matza
BBC News, Washington

The Trump administration has proposed changes to the Endangered Species Act (ESA), a law credited with keeping hundreds of species from going extinct.
Mark Streeter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:42 pm 

Mass shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival south of San Jose, CA. I have a close friend that volunteers at this event every year. I haven’t heard from him yet. Hopefully, he’s ok and just communicating with family right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:38 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Mass shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival south of San Jose, CA. I have a close friend that volunteers at this event every year. I haven’t heard from him yet. Hopefully, he’s ok and just communicating with family right now.

I hope they were as far away as possible from the action KU'

Four people killed, including one suspect, in shooting at US garlic festival
17:26, July, 29th 2019

Four people have been killed, including reportedly a 3-year old boy, and several more injured in the US at an annual garlic festival in California.

The Gilroy chief of police Scot Smithee said the suspect was shot and killed by Gilroy police within a minute. Another suspect is in custody. Witnesses stated there may be a second shooter. Police are investigating.

Smithee said he has no idea of a motive. He did not confirm a child was among the dead at the time of the media conference.

AP
A young couple embrace at a parking lot after a fatal shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in California.

Police said it is believed the shooter cut through the fence to gain access to the festival.

Gliroy police spoke to media at at 10pm local time which was 5pm NZ time. Watch the livestream above.

NIAMH/TWITTER
People ran as shot rang out at the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival in California.

Councilman Dion Bracco said three people had been killed and 12 had been injured at a garlic festival in Gilroy, which is about 50 kilometres southeast of San Jose.

He did not know whether the number of injured victims included the three fatalities. Bracco told The Associated Press those are preliminary figures following Sunday's shooting. The number of victims could not immediately be confirmed by the police.

The shooting occurred during the annual garlic festival, a three-day celebration featuring food, cooking competitions and music that attracts more than 100,000 people.

Witnesses described the confusion and panic at the scene, the Mercury News reported.

Evenny Reyes of Gilroy, 13, told the newspaper that spent the day at the Gilroy Garlic Festival with her friends and relatives.

"We were just leaving and we saw a guy with a bandana wrapped around his leg because he got shot. And there were people on the ground, crying," Reyes said. "There was a little kid hurt on the ground. People were throwing tables and cutting fences to get out."

Reyes told the Mercury News that she didn't run at first because the gunshots sounded like fireworks. "It started going for five minutes, maybe three. It was like the movies - everyone was crying, people were screaming."

Todd Jones, a sound engineer, told the newspaper that he was at the front of the festival's Vineyard stage when he heard what sounded like a firework. "But then it started to increase, more rapidly, which sounded more like gunfire, and at that point people realized what was happening," Jones said.

Natalie Martinez, a Gilroy Resident, told the Mercury News that she had gone to get food and separated from her two daughters. "I ran to find the girls . and we basically ran into each other. I thought, We're open prey. It was awful."

Video first posted on social media sites about 5.30pm on Sunday (local time) showed people running for safety at the festival.

Agents from the US federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are responding to the scene of the shooting.

Video first posted on social media sites about an hour ago showed people running for safety at the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival in Northern California.

Sunday was the final day of the festival.

The Gilroy Police Department on its Twitter account issued a statement saying: "The hearts of Gilroy PD and entire community go out to the victims of today's shooting at the Garlic Festival. The scene is still active..."

AP
People leave the Gilroy Garlic Festival following a deadly shooting in California.

Stanford Medical Center has two patients being treated from the shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, spokeswoman Julie Greicius said. She had no details on their injuries or conditions. Santa Clara Valley Medical Center received five victims, spokeswoman Joy Alexiou said. She also had no information on their conditions.

Gilroy is a city of roughly 50,000 and is dubbed the "Garlic capital of the world".

US President Donald Trump tweeted about the shooting. "Law Enforcement is at the scene of shootings in Gilroy, California. Reports are that shooter has not yet been apprehended. Be careful and safe!" he wrote.

AP

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/ ... california

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:57 pm 

Kraftwerk win 20-year battle against unauthorised ‘sampling’

ECJ ruling for German techno pioneers has implications for music industry

The EU’s highest court has ruled that musicians cannot “sample” other artists’ records without permission, in a landmark judgment on a case brought by German electronic music pioneers Kraftwerk that has raged for 20 years.

The European Court of Justice ruling, which lays the ground for copyright holders to challenge unauthorised use of their recordings, has the potential to have a huge impact on artists who rely on samples to generate new work.

Kraftwerk brought the action against hip-hop producers Moses Pelham and Martin Haas in 1999 over the Sabrina Setlur song “Nur Mir”, which revolves around a two-second snippet of “Metall auf Metall”.

The ECJ ruled on Monday that the reproduction of a sound sample taken from an existing recording must be authorised by the original producer, which in the case of “Metall auf Metall” was Kraftwerk co-founders Ralf Hütter and Florian Schneider-Esleben.

The ECJ also ruled that use of a modified sample that was unrecognisable from the original could be used without permission under “freedom of the arts” rules.

Hermann Lindhorst, Mr Hütter’s lawyer, said he was “very confident” that the ruling upheld a previous judgment that “Nur Mir” was “recognisably” the work of Kraftwerk.

Florian Drücke, chairman of German musician’s union BVMI, said the ruling was clearly in favour of the copyright holder, while also defining when artistic freedom would override those rights.

“After 20 years, the ECJ clarified in the ‘Metall auf Metall’ case that a phonogram producer is allowed to ‘permit or prohibit the reproduction of its phonogram’ and that under certain conditions it can also defend itself against the use of third parties even if the audio sequence used is very short,” he said.

The impact of establishing a precedent on the use of samples could, however, have a marked impact on musical genres that rely on samples to create new work.

Raffaella De Santis, senior associate at law firm Harbottle & Lewis, said the ECJ ruling would make producers who have been cavalier about their use of samples sit up and take notice.

“It could have a chilling effect on artistic expression . . . Where we may well see a difference is in the creative process itself, in making and releasing music, especially in sample-heavy genres such as hip hop,” she said.

Kraftwerk are among the most sampled artists of all time with 739 samples, 176 covers and 30 remixes listed on the WhoSampled database. Mr Lindhorst said that while some of those samples were authorised by the band, many were not.

Mr Pelham and Mr Haas could not immediately be reached for comment.

https://www.ft.com/content/0e566ad2-b211-11e9-8cb2-799a3a8cf37b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:00 pm 

KUIII wrote:

My friend got back to me tonight. He’s fine. He volunteered at a beer booth in the morning and took in the festivities with his wife in the afternoon making it home by 5:00pm. The shooting took place at 5:30pm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:46 am 

Good to hear, must be a terrible shock to him though...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:53 am 

KUIII wrote:
KUIII wrote:

My friend got back to me tonight. He’s fine. He volunteered at a beer booth in the morning and took in the festivities with his wife in the afternoon making it home by 5:00pm. The shooting took place at 5:30pm.

Good to hear KU... :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:00 am 

KUIII wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Good deal! Of all places, a garlic festival...anyone aware of a motive here? :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:52 am 

^^On the 19 year old shooters instagram he posted an encouragement to read a 19th century white supremacist book. He also mentioned the garlic festival and how it was time for people to get wasted on overpriced shit. He purchased the rapid fire assault rifle legally in Nevada earlier this month (not legal to purchase in California). Other than that they still don’t have a motive. Just another fucked up mind that shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a gun let alone an assault rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:39 pm 

I live about 30 miles from Gilroy. I've been to the Garlic Festival several times. I didn't go this year, but my niece and her four-year-old son did. They went on Friday. The shooting was Sunday.

Eventually, the Originalists on the Supreme Court will have to figure out that the guys who wrote the Second Amendment weren't thinking about assault rifles. Until then, enjoy your big, steaming bowl of thoughts and prayers.

eat them up yum...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:29 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
I live about 30 miles from Gilroy. I've been to the Garlic Festival several times. I didn't go this year, but my niece and her four-year-old son did. They went on Friday. The shooting was Sunday.

Eventually, the Originalists on the Supreme Court will have to figure out that the guys who wrote the Second Amendment weren't thinking about assault rifles. Until then, enjoy your big, steaming bowl of thoughts and prayers.
powerful post, mental (even without the picture). just wanted to say that I toatally agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:34 pm 

^^Thoughts that lead to action are valuable. Unfortunately, as we all know there will be no common sense and moral action coming from the right and the NRA. Prayers are totally useless.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:25 am 

After the mosque shootings in Christchurch, all NZ's politicians except one (there's always one) came together for the common good and pushed through amendments to the firearms laws, it happened swiftly so the pro gun folks had very little time to react, by the time their media spin began it was too late to sway public opinion. The police are now buying back firearms and accessories that have been illegalized, as you would expect not everybody is happy about the "agreed" amount their being paid and the loss and or deactivation of their weapons. The gun shop owners are spewing, one guy that has an ammunition business was being interviewed days prior to the amendments being passed into law, he got a little riled and claimed there would be a revolution if th' boys had to give up their guns, the reporter, god bless her, inferred he was making "a call to arms".....He was walking it back on the next news cycle.....

NZ's population is small and reactive, 51 murdered + high emotion + popular leader = change.

As an aside, the police suffered a black eye when a very well known criminal allegedly stole around a dozen freshly seized guns from the police station, an investigation is under the carpet, sorry, underway a cover up is underway, I mean investigation an investigation is underway.....if he had stolen their toilet seat, they would have nothing to go on :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:20 pm 

Black Friday came early, this year.

Mass Shooting Saturday at a Walmart in El Paso

Several people were shot, some of them fatally, Saturday when a gunman opened fire at a Walmart in El Paso.
A suspect, reportedly a 21-year-old man armed with a rifle, was detained after the shooting, police said Saturday afternoon. He has not yet been identified.
"There are so many victims, 'So many bodies': Over 20 victims shot when gunman opens fire.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2019/08/03/police-warn-active-shooter-el-paso-mall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:33 pm 

20 dead, 26 injured.

Guns aren't the problem, the person behind the gun in the problem/We need gun control now!

Okay, that's enough, next mass murder please.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:32 pm 

Attn: Wallmart Ceo
Now would be a good time to remove the target off the backs of your employees.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:13 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
20 dead, 26 injured.

Guns aren't the problem, the person behind the gun in the problem/We need gun control now!

Well, that didn’t take long. Another unhinged white dude in Dayton emboldened by President Hate! :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:42 am 

Hmmm, these shootings seem to have a common theme... :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:02 am 

guns?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:22 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:49 am 

"Saying "guns don't kill people" is like saying "defibrillators don't save people"."
-@TheTweetofGod 03Aug2019

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:16 am 

KUIII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
20 dead, 26 injured.

Well, that didn’t take long. Another unhinged white dude in Dayton emboldened by President Hate! :evil: :evil:

Wow! He was such a racist, that he shot his own sister.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:38 am 

^^Fair enough. Not many facts are in on this one yet. We’ll see. Whatever his motives were will not change my disgust for Trump though. He sealed that a long time ago.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:44 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Wow! He was such a racist, that he shot his own sister.

:roll: :!: :roll: :?:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21986 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 873, 874, 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880  Next