Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20084 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 800, 801, 802, 803, 804
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Oregon
George Floyd: Videos of police brutality during protests shock US
1 hour ago

Image

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52932611

Several videos of police brutality have emerged during protests over the death of African American George Floyd.

In Buffalo, New York State, two officers were suspended after they were seen shoving an elderly white man to the ground.

And in New York City, police were captured on video roughly handling demonstrators as they ran away.

The reports come hours after a memorial for Floyd in Minneapolis, the city where he died at the hands of police.

His killing, also captured on video, has caused outrage and sparked a wave of protests against racial discrimination and police treatment of African Americans in cities across the US and the world.

The vast majority of demonstrations over the past eight days have been peaceful but some have descended into violence and rioting, with curfews imposed in a number of cities.

At one protest, security forces in Washington DC fired pepper balls and smoke bombs to disperse demonstrators outside the White House, allowing President Donald Trump to walk to a nearby church for a photo opportunity.

In response to this on Thursday, civil rights group the America Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit, accusing the president, the attorney general and others of violating the constitutional rights of protesters.

"When the nation's top law enforcement officer becomes complicit in the tactics of an autocrat, it chills protected speech for all of us," said ACLU official Scott Michelman, quoted by Reuters.

In a separate development, police in Arizona released details of the killing of another African American, Dion Johnson, in Phoenix on 25 May, the same day as Floyd.

Johnson was shot dead by state troopers after being found "passed out in the driver's seat" of a car which was partially blocking traffic, a police statement said.

"During the trooper's contact with the suspect, there was a struggle and the trooper fired his service weapon striking the suspect," police said.

The statement was only released after Johnson's family was offered audio of the police dispatch and transportation department video of the incident.

What do the videos show?

The Buffalo video shows a 75-year-old man approach police officers enforcing a curfew. They then move forward, pushing him back and causing him to fall over and hit his head.

As he lies on the ground, blood is seen pouring from his ear.

The man was taken away in an ambulance and was later found to have suffered a severe head injury.

An initial statement from Buffalo Police Department said the man had "tripped" and fallen during a "skirmish involving protesters", compounding outrage at the incident on social media.

Police spokesman Jeff Rinaldo later attributed the statement to officers not directly involved in the incident, adding that when the video had emerged the two policemen who pushed the demonstrator had been suspended without pay.

On the same evening, a delivery driver in New York City was arrested 27 minutes after the city's curfew had started, despite being a key worker exempt from the curfew.

And in the Williamsburg area of the city, police were filmed charging demonstrators, throwing at least one person to the ground.

Other videos showed a man lying on the ground bleeding from the head, and being arrested.

How have the authorities responded?

On Thursday New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo defended police, saying they were not beating citizens "for no reason", and if they did "it's wrong".

City Mayor Bill de Blasio said the authorities were "doing everything from a perspective of restraint".

But both men have since condemned the incidents which emerged overnight.

In a tweet, Mr Cuomo described the Buffalo incident as "wholly unjustified and utterly disgraceful".

"Police officers must enforce - NOT ABUSE - the law," he said.

Meanwhile Mayor de Blasio said he had complained to the city police department after seeing the video of the arrest of the delivery worker.

What is the background?

The incidents happened as police enforced curfews in dozens of cities across the US after a wave of protests sparked by George Floyd's death.

Floyd, 46, was stopped by police investigating the purchase of cigarettes with counterfeit money on 25 May in Minneapolis.

A video showed him being arrested and a white police officer continuing to kneel on his neck for several minutes even after he pleaded that he could not breathe.

Protests erupted and have continued since, across many US cities and also internationally, with rallies on Wednesday in Australia, France, the Netherlands and in the UK, where thousands gathered in central London.

A rally in the Australian city of Sydney has been refused permission by a court, amid fears of coronavirus health risks. Thousands had been expected to attend.

Floyd's death follows the high-profile cases of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri; Eric Garner in New York; and others that have driven the Black Lives Matter movement in recent years.

For many, the outrage over Floyd's death also reflects years of frustration over socio-economic inequality and discrimination.

Protests over the death continued in dozens of cities on Thursday despite widespread curfews.

They followed a memorial service attended by hundreds, who stood in silence for eight minutes and 46 seconds, the amount of time Floyd was alleged to have been on the ground under the control of police in Minneapolis.

A lawyer for George Floyd told the service a "pandemic of racism" had led to his death.

_________________
“Listen to everyone, read everything; believe absolutely nothing unless you can prove it in your own right!”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12421
Location: EINDHOVEN
Gray_Ghost wrote:
BBP wrote:
So far 8 mink farms in Brabant, my province of The Netherlands, have suffered Corona contamination. Two people have been confirmed to be contaminated by the minks.

Since mink farms were due to be forbidden in 2024 and the public health risk is deemed too big, all 8 farms will have all animals killed and disposed of.


I was surprised to read about this, I hadn't really thought about mink as having diseases,
somewhere in the back of my mind I was aware of mink farming and some animal rights
anti fur stuff but I wasn't aware mink could be infectious in any way.....


They're living organisms, so yeah they can get sick. What I find surprising is how international media didn't pick up there are now 2 confirmed cases of people getting Corona from animals, which was previously deemed not possible.

Animal rights activists have started a trial so the killing and destruction of these animals is postponed to at least Tuesday.

There are now 9 mink farms in my proximity with Corona outbreak. All other mink farms, a total of around 140 in The Netherlands, will be screened this week.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:19 am
Posts: 6961
Location: Eastern CT coast
BBP wrote:
So far 8 mink farms in Brabant, my province of The Netherlands, have suffered Corona contamination. Two people have been confirmed to be contaminated by the minks.

Since mink farms were due to be forbidden in 2024 and the public health risk is deemed too big, all 8 farms will have all animals killed and disposed of.



We're currently in a dress rehearsal for the next pandemic, this is the seventh coronavirus, the third deadly one in the last ~18 years, two others (SARS 1 and MERS were the other two deadly ones, the other four were mild/and or didn't get into humans).

From what I'm reading, bats seem to be the best reservoir progenitor because of how they congregate by millions, and how they can travel thousands of miles to spread.

For transmission to humans, we seem to need an interim animal, and the best ones for transmission are the ones we domesticated (creating the second era of infectious diseases, and now we're in the third and by far most harmful era ever, (there have been three deadly coronavirus' in the last 17 years, an unprecedented jump in new emergence deadliness and frequency), because of industrialized farming for slaughter and consumption, packed tightly together in [cruel] industrialized farms "the next beak is only inches away*). Also clearing land for raising beef and such brings people into bodily fluid contact as they eat bush meat as they move through clearing land, and/or sell bush meat.

Something like a coronavirus doesn't care the animal type, they just need live cells to hijack the replication ability.

Somebody slaughtered a chimp, came into contact with blood, and 2.5 million people died so far of AIDS, in some areas of Africa, half the people are AIDS infected.

We were literally infectious disease free before we started fucking with the animals...

domesticated cows - measils
domesticated camels - smallpox
domesticated pigs - meningitis
domesticated pigs - nipavirus (75% death rate)
domesticated pigs - whooping cough

I'll leave out the words domesticated/industrialized:

civet cats - SARS
chickens - typhoid family
ducks - influenza
chimps - aids
great apes - ebola
water buffalo- -leporacy
horses - common cold
mice - Lyme, (bacteria...also not domestication but suburbanization since 70's removed mice predators, more mice - more ticks).

The list goes on, but basically all epidemic-pandemic virus' came from animals.

Interesting, when Europeans came to the US, their diseases of domestication wiped out Native Americans ...why not the other way around? Why didn't Native American diseases wipe out the settlers? Because they didn't have any, they didn't domesticate like Europeans, (they got horses from Europeans).

* In recent years we've seen a huge uptick in deadly epidemics...why are they getting deadlier? Because if a virus kills it's host too quickly, it doesn't spread...but with the next snout or beak only inches away (as in industrialized farming for meat consumption - though they'll never lose sponsors by informing us of this on TV; so the general population will never know this), therefore much more deadly virus' can spread quickly before the host dies...hence...

...SARS-CoV-2 is only a dress rehearsal for the next pandemic, and odds are we will run into more and more deadly ones. We've seen 3 in the last 18 years, an never before seen uptick, land clearing and industrialized farming for consumption are still increasing, so it's not if, it's when... what will the next 18 years bring?. When odds catch up and something like Nipahvirus with it's 75% death rate mutates to gain the property of high contagion, and/or antibodies dissipate and don't last so you can get it twice...well...let's just say it's not good to fuck with mother nature.

What's for dinner?

_________________
Lesser-evilism is war.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Oregon
baddy wrote:
BBP wrote:
So far 8 mink farms in Brabant, my province of The Netherlands, have suffered Corona contamination. Two people have been confirmed to be contaminated by the minks.

Since mink farms were due to be forbidden in 2024 and the public health risk is deemed too big, all 8 farms will have all animals killed and disposed of.



We're currently in a dress rehearsal for the next pandemic, this is the seventh coronavirus, the third deadly one in the last ~18 years, two others (SARS 1 and MERS were the other two deadly ones, the other four were mild/and or didn't get into humans).

From what I'm reading, bats seem to be the best reservoir progenitor because of how they congregate by millions, and how they can travel thousands of miles to spread.

For transmission to humans, we seem to need an interim animal, and the best ones for transmission are the ones we domesticated (creating the second era of infectious diseases, and now we're in the third and by far most harmful era ever, (there have been three deadly coronavirus' in the last 17 years, an unprecedented jump in new emergence deadliness and frequency), because of industrialized farming for slaughter and consumption, packed tightly together in [cruel] industrialized farms "the next beak is only inches away*). Also clearing land for raising beef and such brings people into bodily fluid contact as they eat bush meat as they move through clearing land, and/or sell bush meat.

Something like a coronavirus doesn't care the animal type, they just need live cells to hijack the replication ability.

Somebody slaughtered a chimp, came into contact with blood, and 2.5 million people died so far of AIDS, in some areas of Africa, half the people are AIDS infected.

We were literally infectious disease free before we started fucking with the animals...

domesticated cows - measils
domesticated camels - smallpox
domesticated pigs - meningitis
domesticated pigs - nipavirus (75% death rate)
domesticated pigs - whooping cough

I'll leave out the words domesticated/industrialized:

civet cats - SARS
chickens - typhoid family
ducks - influenza
chimps - aids
great apes - ebola
water buffalo- -leporacy
horses - common cold
mice - Lyme, (bacteria...also not domestication but suburbanization since 70's removed mice predators, more mice - more ticks).

The list goes on, but basically all epidemic-pandemic virus' came from animals.

Interesting, when Europeans came to the US, their diseases of domestication wiped out Native Americans ...why not the other way around? Why didn't Native American diseases wipe out the settlers? Because they didn't have any, they didn't domesticate like Europeans, (they got horses from Europeans).

* In recent years we've seen a huge uptick in deadly epidemics...why are they getting deadlier? Because if a virus kills it's host too quickly, it doesn't spread...but with the next snout or beak only inches away (as in industrialized farming for meat consumption - though they'll never lose sponsors by informing us of this on TV; so the general population will never know this), therefore much more deadly virus' can spread quickly before the host dies...hence...

...SARS-CoV-2 is only a dress rehearsal for the next pandemic, and odds are we will run into more and more deadly ones. We've seen 3 in the last 18 years, an never before seen uptick, land clearing and industrialized farming for consumption are still increasing, so it's not if, it's when... what will the next 18 years bring?. When odds catch up and something like Nipahvirus with it's 75% death rate mutates to gain the property of high contagion, and/or antibodies dissipate and don't last so you can get it twice...well...let's just say it's not good to fuck with mother nature.

What's for dinner?

Very interesting points!

_________________
“Listen to everyone, read everything; believe absolutely nothing unless you can prove it in your own right!”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12421
Location: EINDHOVEN
And for the interested, all the minks will be killed and destroyed. There are currently 10 affected mink farms.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 pm
Posts: 3708
Hope they leave the Baby seals alone :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 37247
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
If there's a dollar in it.....

_________________
hey punk where you going with that golf club in your hand, again.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:45 pm
Posts: 6694
Location: Québec country (let me dream...)
cory1984 wrote:
George Floyd: Videos of police brutality during protests shock US
1 hour ago

Image

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52932611

Several videos of police brutality have emerged during protests over the death of African American George Floyd.

In Buffalo, New York State, two officers were suspended after they were seen shoving an elderly white man to the ground.

And in New York City, police were captured on video roughly handling demonstrators as they ran away.

The reports come hours after a memorial for Floyd in Minneapolis, the city where he died at the hands of police.

His killing, also captured on video, has caused outrage and sparked a wave of protests against racial discrimination and police treatment of African Americans in cities across the US and the world.

The vast majority of demonstrations over the past eight days have been peaceful but some have descended into violence and rioting, with curfews imposed in a number of cities.

At one protest, security forces in Washington DC fired pepper balls and smoke bombs to disperse demonstrators outside the White House, allowing President Donald Trump to walk to a nearby church for a photo opportunity.

In response to this on Thursday, civil rights group the America Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit, accusing the president, the attorney general and others of violating the constitutional rights of protesters.

"When the nation's top law enforcement officer becomes complicit in the tactics of an autocrat, it chills protected speech for all of us," said ACLU official Scott Michelman, quoted by Reuters.

In a separate development, police in Arizona released details of the killing of another African American, Dion Johnson, in Phoenix on 25 May, the same day as Floyd.

Johnson was shot dead by state troopers after being found "passed out in the driver's seat" of a car which was partially blocking traffic, a police statement said.

"During the trooper's contact with the suspect, there was a struggle and the trooper fired his service weapon striking the suspect," police said.

The statement was only released after Johnson's family was offered audio of the police dispatch and transportation department video of the incident.

What do the videos show?

The Buffalo video shows a 75-year-old man approach police officers enforcing a curfew. They then move forward, pushing him back and causing him to fall over and hit his head.

As he lies on the ground, blood is seen pouring from his ear.

The man was taken away in an ambulance and was later found to have suffered a severe head injury.

An initial statement from Buffalo Police Department said the man had "tripped" and fallen during a "skirmish involving protesters", compounding outrage at the incident on social media.

Police spokesman Jeff Rinaldo later attributed the statement to officers not directly involved in the incident, adding that when the video had emerged the two policemen who pushed the demonstrator had been suspended without pay.

On the same evening, a delivery driver in New York City was arrested 27 minutes after the city's curfew had started, despite being a key worker exempt from the curfew.

And in the Williamsburg area of the city, police were filmed charging demonstrators, throwing at least one person to the ground.

Other videos showed a man lying on the ground bleeding from the head, and being arrested.

How have the authorities responded?

On Thursday New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo defended police, saying they were not beating citizens "for no reason", and if they did "it's wrong".

City Mayor Bill de Blasio said the authorities were "doing everything from a perspective of restraint".

But both men have since condemned the incidents which emerged overnight.

In a tweet, Mr Cuomo described the Buffalo incident as "wholly unjustified and utterly disgraceful".

"Police officers must enforce - NOT ABUSE - the law," he said.

Meanwhile Mayor de Blasio said he had complained to the city police department after seeing the video of the arrest of the delivery worker.

What is the background?

The incidents happened as police enforced curfews in dozens of cities across the US after a wave of protests sparked by George Floyd's death.

Floyd, 46, was stopped by police investigating the purchase of cigarettes with counterfeit money on 25 May in Minneapolis.

A video showed him being arrested and a white police officer continuing to kneel on his neck for several minutes even after he pleaded that he could not breathe.

Protests erupted and have continued since, across many US cities and also internationally, with rallies on Wednesday in Australia, France, the Netherlands and in the UK, where thousands gathered in central London.

A rally in the Australian city of Sydney has been refused permission by a court, amid fears of coronavirus health risks. Thousands had been expected to attend.

Floyd's death follows the high-profile cases of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri; Eric Garner in New York; and others that have driven the Black Lives Matter movement in recent years.

For many, the outrage over Floyd's death also reflects years of frustration over socio-economic inequality and discrimination.

Protests over the death continued in dozens of cities on Thursday despite widespread curfews.

They followed a memorial service attended by hundreds, who stood in silence for eight minutes and 46 seconds, the amount of time Floyd was alleged to have been on the ground under the control of police in Minneapolis.

A lawyer for George Floyd told the service a "pandemic of racism" had led to his death.


I saw it on the news tonight, along with some videos from Indianapolis that happened last Sunday.
And i saw how Trump tried to recover the Georges Floyd affair to his advantage.

WHAT'S WRONG IN USA ?

If I were a policeman, I'd try to act low-profile but no, not these gorillas with a pea brain.
USA FEELS ME WITH THE URGE TO PUKE

_________________
No doubt, we're doomed ! For a real diplomacy: abolish Electoral College
Ignore list: DiscoBoy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 37247
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
Mij wrote:
cory1984 wrote:
George Floyd: Videos of police brutality during protests shock US
1 hour ago

Image

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52932611

Several videos of police brutality have emerged during protests over the death of African American George Floyd.

In Buffalo, New York State, two officers were suspended after they were seen shoving an elderly white man to the ground.

And in New York City, police were captured on video roughly handling demonstrators as they ran away.

The reports come hours after a memorial for Floyd in Minneapolis, the city where he died at the hands of police.

His killing, also captured on video, has caused outrage and sparked a wave of protests against racial discrimination and police treatment of African Americans in cities across the US and the world.

The vast majority of demonstrations over the past eight days have been peaceful but some have descended into violence and rioting, with curfews imposed in a number of cities.

At one protest, security forces in Washington DC fired pepper balls and smoke bombs to disperse demonstrators outside the White House, allowing President Donald Trump to walk to a nearby church for a photo opportunity.

In response to this on Thursday, civil rights group the America Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit, accusing the president, the attorney general and others of violating the constitutional rights of protesters.

"When the nation's top law enforcement officer becomes complicit in the tactics of an autocrat, it chills protected speech for all of us," said ACLU official Scott Michelman, quoted by Reuters.

In a separate development, police in Arizona released details of the killing of another African American, Dion Johnson, in Phoenix on 25 May, the same day as Floyd.

Johnson was shot dead by state troopers after being found "passed out in the driver's seat" of a car which was partially blocking traffic, a police statement said.

"During the trooper's contact with the suspect, there was a struggle and the trooper fired his service weapon striking the suspect," police said.

The statement was only released after Johnson's family was offered audio of the police dispatch and transportation department video of the incident.

What do the videos show?

The Buffalo video shows a 75-year-old man approach police officers enforcing a curfew. They then move forward, pushing him back and causing him to fall over and hit his head.

As he lies on the ground, blood is seen pouring from his ear.

The man was taken away in an ambulance and was later found to have suffered a severe head injury.

An initial statement from Buffalo Police Department said the man had "tripped" and fallen during a "skirmish involving protesters", compounding outrage at the incident on social media.

Police spokesman Jeff Rinaldo later attributed the statement to officers not directly involved in the incident, adding that when the video had emerged the two policemen who pushed the demonstrator had been suspended without pay.

On the same evening, a delivery driver in New York City was arrested 27 minutes after the city's curfew had started, despite being a key worker exempt from the curfew.

And in the Williamsburg area of the city, police were filmed charging demonstrators, throwing at least one person to the ground.

Other videos showed a man lying on the ground bleeding from the head, and being arrested.

How have the authorities responded?

On Thursday New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo defended police, saying they were not beating citizens "for no reason", and if they did "it's wrong".

City Mayor Bill de Blasio said the authorities were "doing everything from a perspective of restraint".

But both men have since condemned the incidents which emerged overnight.

In a tweet, Mr Cuomo described the Buffalo incident as "wholly unjustified and utterly disgraceful".

"Police officers must enforce - NOT ABUSE - the law," he said.

Meanwhile Mayor de Blasio said he had complained to the city police department after seeing the video of the arrest of the delivery worker.

What is the background?

The incidents happened as police enforced curfews in dozens of cities across the US after a wave of protests sparked by George Floyd's death.

Floyd, 46, was stopped by police investigating the purchase of cigarettes with counterfeit money on 25 May in Minneapolis.

A video showed him being arrested and a white police officer continuing to kneel on his neck for several minutes even after he pleaded that he could not breathe.

Protests erupted and have continued since, across many US cities and also internationally, with rallies on Wednesday in Australia, France, the Netherlands and in the UK, where thousands gathered in central London.

A rally in the Australian city of Sydney has been refused permission by a court, amid fears of coronavirus health risks. Thousands had been expected to attend.

Floyd's death follows the high-profile cases of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri; Eric Garner in New York; and others that have driven the Black Lives Matter movement in recent years.

For many, the outrage over Floyd's death also reflects years of frustration over socio-economic inequality and discrimination.

Protests over the death continued in dozens of cities on Thursday despite widespread curfews.

They followed a memorial service attended by hundreds, who stood in silence for eight minutes and 46 seconds, the amount of time Floyd was alleged to have been on the ground under the control of police in Minneapolis.

A lawyer for George Floyd told the service a "pandemic of racism" had led to his death.


I saw it on the news tonight, along with some videos from Indianapolis that happened last Sunday.
And i saw how Trump tried to recover the Georges Floyd affair to his advantage.

WHAT'S WRONG IN USA ?

If I were a policeman, I'd try to act low-profile but no, not these gorillas with a pea brain.
USA FILLS ME WITH THE URGE TO PUKE

_________________
hey punk where you going with that golf club in your hand, again.....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20084 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 800, 801, 802, 803, 804

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group