Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 855, 856, 857, 858, 859
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:46 am 

I'll check with Donald :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:02 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:46 am 

Bruce Plante

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:45 am 

Southern right whale in Wellington might be a return to form for the hunted species

THOMAS MANCH
Last updated 15:49, July 9 2018

The mysteries swimming around Wellington's whale will remain unanswered for the time being.

National Institute of Water and Atmospheric (Niwa) has little to show from initial research into the whale, answering few questions about the visitor who arrived in Wellington Harbour on July 2.

In publishing their latest findings, researchers have sought to quash speculation the southern right whale may be male, saying results of a dart gun biopsy are possibly weeks away.

ROSA WOODS/STUFF
Niwa has released initial findings into the Southern Right Whale which has captured the attention of Wellingtonians.

And a possible recording of the whale's call brings us no closer to understanding its motives.

Wellingtonians have scrambled to see the whale. On Monday, there were reporting sightings near the Interislander ferry terminal and across the harbour near Te Papa.

On Sunday, a steady stream of onlookers keen to glimpse the playful whale caused traffic jams around Evan's Bay.

While the week-long visitor to Wellington Harbour is not unprecedented, there is hope it is a sign of improving fortunes for the hunted species.

University of Auckland PhD student Victoria Warren, who has analysed data recorded in the harbour last week, said speculation that the whale's regular breaching indicated it was male was premature.

"There is no real need for male southern right whales to show off to females, because a female mates with multiple males, and the male that produces the most sperm is usually the one that fertilises the egg."

DEREK QUINN/SNPA
The rare southern right whale swimming in Wellington harbour, just off from the Interislander ferry terminal. It was again seen near the terminal on Monday.

Listening to 70 minutes of underwater audio taken within 100m of the whale, Warren said there were five possible whale calls captured.

There were one potential "upcalls", and two "downcalls", and no male-indicative "gunshot sounds" recorded.

"However, it is difficult to tell whether these sounds were produced by the whale because of vessel noise in the harbour. No gunshot sounds were recorded so we have no more clues about the animal's gender."

Warren said southern right whales make an annual migration north from Antarctica, and a Wellington Harbour visit was not unprecedented.

"It may be a sign of a recovering population follow the decimating impacts of commercial and illegal whaling."

An estimated 2200 whales commonly winter off the sub-Antarctic Auckland Islands in the south, a population thought to recover by 7 per cent per year, according to a 2016 paper published by the Royal Society.

ROSA WOODS/STUFF
The southern right whale was splashing in Evan's Bay on Sunday, attracting a steady stream of onlookers.

This is estimated to be only 12 per cent of the population in New Zealand waters prior to whaling.

DNA evidence indicated fewer than 40 mature females survived the 19th Century purge, and no whales were seen in mainland waters for the 35 years between 1928 and 1963.

But a slow recolonisation of mainland bays might be taking place.

KARL HALVORSEN/SUPPLIED
The southern right whale surfaces behind a Niwa research boat in Wellington Harbour.

A 2003 Department of Conservation paper on southern right sightings noted 11 possible cow and calf southern right whale pairs had been seen around the mainland in 25 years.

Whales without calves were reported to rarely stay longer than a week at a location, with some cow and calf pairs staying longer than two weeks.

It was impossible to tell how long a whale might stay in the harbour, and the whale's behaviour showed no cause for concern, Warren said.

- Stuff

clips of whale action: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/105339 ... ed-species

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:58 am 

Boris Johnson resigns - good fucking riddance...
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44770847

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:02 pm 

Now I can slot my Boris in :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:35 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 am 

Caputh wrote:

Will Bo-Jo try for Prime Minister Caputh?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:08 am 

Time For A Standing Ovation 8)

File Under: I'm Sorry I Asked The Question

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/07/12/peter-strzok-defends-anti-trump-texts-gowdy-sot-vpx.cnn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:29 am 

MAN WITH WORLD'S LONGEST FINGERNAILS CUTS THEM OFF AFTER 66 YEARS, SELLS THEM TO MUSEUM
By Christina Zhao On Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 09:29
http://www.newsweek.com/man-worlds-longest-fingernails-cuts-them-after-66-years-donates-them-museum-1020142

A man with fingernails longer than a bus finally cut them off during a “nail clipping ceremony” in New York earlier this week after 66 years of growing them out.

Shridhar Chillal, 82, from Pune, India, holds the Guinness World Record for the longest fingernails on one hand.

He was first inspired to grow out nails on his left hand in 1952, when he was 16 years old, after a teacher berated him for accidentally breaking one of hers. According to Chillal, the teacher warned him about the level of care required to grow out nails and said he would never understand unless he experienced it for himself, reported The Guardian.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Caputh wrote:

Will Bo-Jo try for Prime Minister Caputh?

I think that's his tactic - but very few people (even Tories) believe anything that comes out his mouth anymore. Mind you, I did think the same thing about Trump and look what happened :|

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm 

Well he has got the good crazy hair in the back. top and everywhere really, that all great leaders need to have for a long a successful career

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:16 am 

New indictment expected in Mueller probe

Washington (CNN) Prosecutors from special counsel Robert Mueller's office and the Justice Department's National Security Division visited the courtroom of a federal magistrate judge in Washington at 11:30 a.m. ET to return a grand jury indictment, according to an itinerary posted outside the courtroom.

This story is breaking and will be updated

The Latest: Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein announces indictments of 12 Russian nationals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:02 am 

Caputh wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:45 am 

Meanwhile the the TV distractions keep the sheeple well occupied...

US Airstrike Kills at Least 28 Civilians in Eastern Syria

Jason Ditz Posted on July 13, 2018

US and coalition planes in the eastern Syrian province of Deir Ezzor attacked a village along the Iraqi border which had some ISIS remnant forces within. Among the strikes was an airstrike against the local ice factory, which families were hiding out in waiting for the end of the raid.

At least 28 civilians, and over 30 civilians by some accounts, were killed in the attack, and dozens of others were wounded. The Syrian state media reported that the US was behind the strike.

The US did not contest this assessment, with a spokesman saying that US coalition forces “may have conducted strikes in the vicinity” and promised that there would be an assessment at some point regarding civilian casualties.

Pentagon assessments of civilian deaths in Iraq and Syria don’t have the best track record. In general, the Pentagon reports cover about 10% of civilian casualties reported by human rights groups, dismissing everything else as non-credible.

It would probably be on the propaganda channels 24x7 for a week if Syria bombed 28 people in New York City.

Yet for some reason, Americans still watch it, believe it, live and vote by it, tell others to vote by it, and call it "the news." No wonder we only get asshole nominees like Hillary and trump, no wonder we struggle to give all we've earn to the hyper-rich. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 855, 856, 857, 858, 859