Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 855, 856, 857, 858, 859, 860, 861 ... 864  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:48 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Wow, I'd pay to see the Kinks.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:21 am 

Yep, me too. Even if I was short on cash and had to jump the fence, once I get paid I'd go back and slide some cash under the door.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:04 pm 

Ahhhhh, jump the fence, those were the days..... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:35 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:10 am 

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018 ... ation-city

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:54 pm 

BBP wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/jun/28/we-have-the-nerds-and-the-hippies-how-eindhoven-became-innovation-city

What's it like living on the cutting edge BBP?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:05 pm 

Painful and I can fall off any minute.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:08 am 

Missing Thai boys 'found alive' in caves

All 12 boys and their football coach have been found alive after nine days missing in caves in Thailand, the regional governor says.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44688909

Now all they have to do is decide how to get them out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 am 

FBI nabs man it says planned July 4 attacks on Cleveland, Philadelphia

WASHINGTON, July 2 (Reuters) - The FBI has arrested a man who it said planned to bomb Cleveland's Fourth of July celebrations and then stand by and watch "it go off," federal officials said on Monday.

Demetrius Pitts, 48, who had expressed allegiance to the al Qaeda militant group, was arrested on Sunday after a meeting with an undercover FBI agent where he said he planned to plant a bomb at a parade celebrating the U.S. Independence Day holiday and intended to target other locations in Cleveland and Philadelphia.

Many major American cities mark the holiday with fireworks and parades, and typically ramp up security around such events.

An undercover FBI agent helped Pitts pick the location for his planned attack, near a planned fireworks show and multiple U.S. government buildings, the FBI said.

Quote:
"I'm gonna be downtown when the – when the thing go off. I’m gonna be somewhere cuz I wanna see it go off,"
Pitts told an undercover FBI agent who he believed was affiliated with al Qaeda, the FBI said in court documents.

Pitts also suggested giving the children of military personnel remote control cars packed with explosives during the parade so the kids would unwittingly detonate the bombs, the FBI said.

Pitts was charged with attempting to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

An FBI source gave Pitts a bus pass and a phone to conduct surveillance ahead of his planned attack, prosecutors said.

Pitts, who lives in the Cleveland suburb of Maple Heights, also discussed possibly traveling to San Francisco for reconnaissance for al Qaeda, the FBI said.

It was not immediately clear if he had retained a lawyer, and relatives could not be reached for comment.

"This defendant, by his own words and by his own deeds, wanted to attack our nation and its ideals," said Justin Herdman, the U.S. attorney for northern Ohio.

Officials said Pitts is an American citizen who had been radicalized in the United States.

In 2015, U.S. law enforcement officials said they had arrested more than 10 people inspired by the Islamic State militant group ahead of the Fourth of July holiday, saying the arrests had disrupted planned attacks.

A pair of ethnic Chechen brothers inspired by al Qaeda killed three people and injured more than 260 with a pair of homemade bombs at the Boston Marathon in 2013.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:59 am 

Rare southern right whale sighting in Wellington Harbour
DAMIAN GEORGE
Last updated 12:17, July 3 2018
COLLETTE GOODFELLOW
A rare southern right whale was spotted in Wellington Harbour near Petone.

The whale was seen swimming south towards Wellington on Tuesday morning.

Nadine Bott, from the Department of Conservation, said the whale appeared to be a rare southern right whale.

Commuters were given a rare treat this morning as the large mammal fed on a school of fish.

They were only spotted in Wellington Harbour about once every two years, Bott said.
STUFF
The whales are spotted in Wellington only about once every two years. (File photo)

"They used to be more common. When Wellington was first inhabited, they used to talk about the sound of whales blowing in the harbour keeping people awake at night."

The whales were hunted to near extinction in the 18th century, but sightings were slowly starting to increase, Bott said.

There were two right whale populations in New Zealand - one in the sub-antarctic Auckland Islands and another which travelled along the coast and stuck closer to the mainland.

Whale sightings were typically seen about once a year in Wellington Harbour, Bott said.

They were usually seen in winter.

- Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/105 ... on-harbour

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:26 pm 

Woman arrested after climbing up the Statue of Liberty on 4th of July

"The disruption caused a full evacuation of Liberty Island ."

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/woma ... vacuations

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:51 pm 

gettin' a little jumpy in the US of A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:01 am 

I'm only partly responsible :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:09 pm 

EPA chief Scott Pruitt resigns amid ethics scandals

Walt Handelsman

(CNN) Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt has resigned after months of ethics controversies, President Donald Trump tweeted Thursday.

"I have accepted the resignation of Scott Pruitt as the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency," Trump tweeted. "Within the Agency Scott has done an outstanding job, and I will always be thankful to him for this."

Pruitt's resignation follows months during which the EPA administrator has been embroiled in one ethics controversy after the next.

Trump said on Twitter that Pruitt's recently-Senate confirmed deputy Andrew Wheeler will on Monday assume the duties of acting administrator of the EPA.

"I have no doubt that Andy will continue on with our great and lasting EPA agenda. We have made tremendous progress and the future of the EPA is very bright!" Trump tweeted.

An ethics cloud hung over Pruitt for months, as lawmakers from both parties, environmental groups and government watchdogs raised questions about his spending, housing arrangements, security team and raises for political appointees.

All told, Pruitt left EPA having faced more than a dozen inquiries or reviews into his practices at the agency, including his first-class plane travel, a room that he rented from a lobbyist at $50 per night and the installation of a soundproof booth in his office.

But at the same time, Pruitt was one of the most effective implementers of the President's agenda. Coming into office as a critic of EPA and a climate skeptic, Pruitt moved aggressively to scale back Obama-era moves on climate change, automobile pollution standards and other industrial pollutants.

As recently as June 8, Trump praised Pruitt, telling reporters on the South Lawn of the White House that the EPA administrator was "doing a great job within the walls of the EPA," and that "we're setting records."

"Outside, he's being attacked very viciously by the press. I'm not saying that he's blameless, but we'll see what happens," Trump said then, and didn't answer a reporter who asked if Trump was "tired' of Pruitt.

But as summer unfolded, the amount of pressure on Pruitt began to near its breaking point as former staffers came forward to air their concerns and accusations about the EPA chief. Former aide Kevin Chmielewski told CNN that Pruitt and his staff kept "secret" calendars and schedules to hide controversial contacts with industry representatives and The Washington Post and The New York Times revealed aspects of testimony Pruitt aides gave to Congress about the EPA administrator enlisted them for personal errands.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:44 pm 

Chester hospital baby deaths: Nurse Lucy Letby arrested on suspicion of murdering eight babies

Lucy Letby, 28, is in custody, with police searching her home and car in connection with the deaths at Countess of Chester Hospital.
Police said they are investigating the deaths of 17 babies and 15 non-fatal collapses between June 2015 and June 2016.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... ht-babies/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:48 pm 

Melania Trump wrote:
I'm only partly responsible :smoke:

POST OF THE YEAR
:D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:54 pm 

Don't encourage trolling, Caputh.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:05 pm 

Thailand cave rescue: Navy Seal dies of lack of oxygen
JAMES MASSOLA
Last updated 16:35, July 6 2018

A former Thai Navy Seal participating in the rescue effort at Tham Luang cave has died overnight during the effort to rescue the 12 boys and their coach because of a lack of oxygen, according to Thai authorities.

The body of the dead former Seal, Sergeant Saman Guana, who was 37-years-old and who died in cold water around 2am, will be sent back to Sattahip Naval base and then sent on to his family.

There will be a funeral in his home town in Rioet Province, in the north-east of Thailand.

SUPPLIED Former Thai navy seal Saman Guana who died at Tham Luang cave.

Navy Seal commander Rear Admiral Apakorn Yookongkaew said that staff morale was still good despite the death.

But in a sign of how fluid the situation is on the ground at the cave site – and as expected heavy rain approaches in the coming days, Yookongkaew warned: "we used to think that the students would be able to survive in the cave but now many things have changed."

AP Thai rescue teams are working inside cave complex where 12 boys and their soccer coach went missing.

"The [rescue] plan can be adapted and changed."

Much of the focus on Friday will be on feeding an oxygen tube in to improve the air supply in the cave, from the third chamber and on to the fourth chamber.

"It was unusual situation and anything could happen," Yookongkaew said.

"The operations are still going on," and the effort to rescue the children as soon as possible would continue.

Sergeant Saman Guana was undertaking an operation to refill air tanks at the time he died.

He was swimming from chamber four and approaching chamber three when he lost consciousness.

AP A Thai rescuer prepares oxygen tanks for diving after the 12 boys and their soccer coach were found alive.

A dive buddy tried to administer first aid in the water and then got him through to the base at chamber three, where further attempts were made to revive him but it was too late.

His body was then taken to a local hospital.

The Thai King has said that the sergeant will have a royal funeral and that he will take care of the family and the funeral.

FAIRFAX The boys and their coach are trapped a long distance into the flooded cave.

About 1.5 kilometres of the cave is still full of water, according to authorities, who also say that efforts are under way to bring more oxygen into the sprawling complex.

A Thai military army general said at a morning press conference still under way that "time is now the most important factor" in the rescue effort.

"Today the most important thing is to get the air tube into the cave," he said.

A phone line into the cave will be run down the air tube, too, he said.

Chiang Rai province Governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn has said it is too dangerous for the Thai soccer team to be extracted from the cave for now, while also confirming fresh oxygen will be pumped in.

In comments made overnight at the Tham Luang cave complex, Narongsak said conditions were good in the first three chambers of the cave and it was still possible to walk in this section.

But he warned "the problem is beyond the T-junction, where the water level is quite high. At that point, the passage bends and the water level is very high."

"According to the plan, if we let them dive out, the most dangerous point is extremely narrow, the boys will have to dive by themselves, the water is quite deep and long at that point and the [Thai Navy] Seals can't be next to them."

"We did an assessment and we think it is quite dangerous at this point to bring them out. At this point it is too dangerous to dive."

Oxygen bottles arrived late on Thursday evening at the site, too, and the Governor confirmed that the cave's air supply was also a concern for rescue workers.

He confirmed that air in the caves had thinned because of the large number of rescue workers and now needed replenishment.

"There are two ways to solve this, for individuals to carry in their own supplies, or to fill the cave with oxygen," he said.

"Right now we are preparing a five-kilometre line for oxygen, to fill the cave with oxygen."

If a swimming and diving rescue were to go ahead, the Governor said, the best time for the boys to emerge would be at night because they had now been in darkness for 13 days. T

hree of the trapped members of the soccer team were suffering from exhaustion, he added.

He also confirmed that a communications cable had been laid only as far as the T-junction, so the boys had not yet been able to speak directly to their parents.

Water levels in the cave have been dropping by about one centimetre per hour and at least 130 million litres had been pumped out by Thursday.

- with AP

- Sydney Morning Herald

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/1053 ... ave-rescue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:01 am 

Whale continues to star in Wellington, but won't get to see Matariki fireworks
AMBER-LEIGH WOOLF
Last updated 16:44, July 6 2018

Wellington's Matariki fireworks display has been postponed for a week because of the whale in the harbour that has been charming locals and occupying the Interislander ferry's parking spot.

What should the whale be called? e mail news@dompost.co.nz

Acting Wellington Mayor Jill Day said the call to postpone the fireworks was made on Friday afternoon after taking advice from the Department of Conservation (DOC) and mana whenua.

DEREK QUINN
The rare Southern Right whale swimming in Wellington Harbour, just off from the ferry terminal.

"The advice we've received is that the noise from the fireworks is unlikely to cause harm to the whale but that it could cause it to act unpredictably if it is in the vicinity," Day said.

"We don't want anyone in boats or kayaks on the water, in the dark, to come off second-best if the whale breaches among them. We also don't want the whale to be injured in any contact with a vessel."

Day said there had been strong iwi and public sentiment in favour of a postponement.

"Wellingtonians have fallen in love with this whale – this taonga - and they've been telling us they don't want anything untoward to happen to it. The whale's presence is a true blessing for Matariki."

The council would continue to speak with interested parties – including the Harbourmaster, iwi and police – about how to deal with the situation if the rare southern rite whale was still in the harbour next weekend, she said.

"We think we can find a solution that enables us to celebrate our harbour visitor and watch a stunning fireworks display."

BIGGER DANGER WAS TO HUMANS

Department of Conservation marine species threats manager Ian Angus said its experts consulted with the University of Auckland to determine the risks to the whale during a fireworks display.

"Our primary concern is increased vessel traffic, including risk of vessel strike and increased underwater noise from vessels," he said.

"Our experts' opinion is that the noise of the actual fireworks will be significantly muted underwater and is unlikely to harm the whale."

KARL HALVORSEN/SUPPLIED
The southern right whale surfaces behind a Niwa research boat in Wellington Harbour.

SPCA chief executive Andrea Midgen said the organisation had urged the council to delay the fireworks.

"We need to protect this southern right whale from fear and distress, something that many animals suffer during firework events."

The whale was spotted breaching again near the Interislander Ferry terminal on Friday morning.

As a result, the Interislander's Kaiarahi ferry could be seen circling the whale, unable to berth because the mammal was in its path.

Interislander general manager Mark Thompson said crew had been sounding the ship's horn to warn off the whale. It waited for more than 30 minutes for the whale to move.

MARINETRAFFIC.COM
The Kaiarahi Interislander Ferry had to take a detour on its way into dock - apparently because the whale was in the way.

"We regret the inconvenience, but we are sure that our passengers understand, and took advantage of the chance to see our visitor."

THE WHALE IS HERE FOR LOVE

The southern right whale has collected plenty of admirers in the capital, with many people crowding the waterfront – and the water – to get a good look at it.

Nadine Bott, from the Department of Conservation, said the whale could be breaching and slapping its tail to make more noise, to attract other whales or a mate.

She suspected it was a male from its behaviour.

This was the time of year the whale should be breeding, but it could be struggling to find another whale, she said.

It could be looking for a mate, but there's not many around the mainland."

Bott had also seen signs of aggression from the whale based on pictures and videos – signs the public would not recognise.

Breaching was generally not aggressive unless the whale was getting closer and closer to a boat. But earlier in the week, she saw the whale aggressively "head lunging", or raising its head from the water, to create a wake.

Department of Conservation marine species support officer Hannah Hendriks said DOC had not named the whale. The gender was unknown until biopsy results from Niwa were processed.

It was normal for a whale to stay in one place for so long, and to breach often, she said.

The "acrobatic" whale could be reacting to a range of new experiences in Wellington both positive and negative, she said.

DON'T GET TOO CLOSE

Wellington Harbour Master Grant Nalder said people were complaining on social media about boats getting too close, but photos would make the whale look closer to the boat than it really was.

"I am not aware of any close accidents."

Boats should be approaching the whale from the side, or the back, he said. Kayakers, dingys and paddle boarders needed to take extra care.

"If it comes up beside a kayaker, and flips out a flipper, it could do some real damage."

The Marine Mammals Protection Regulations 1992 says no more than three vessels and/or aircraft should be within 300 metres of any marine mammal, and each vessel needs to be at least 50m away.

The Police Maritime Unit has been in the harbour this week monitoring boats.

Constable Thomas Usher said no one had got too close. "Everyone has been well behaved. They have kept a good distance from the whale."

- Stuff

for videos'n'stuff
https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/n ... -be-canned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:39 pm 

Elvis Costello cancels tour dates after cancer surgery
CBC/Radio-Canada
7 hrs ago

© Nathan Denette/Canadian Press
Elvis Costello poses for photographs on the red carpet during the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival.

British singer-songwriter Elvis Costello has cancelled the rest of his European summer tour after undergoing surgery for a "small but very aggressive" cancerous tumour.

The post-punk singer-songwriter, who is married to B.C. jazz singer and pianist Diana Krall, says he needs time to recover after the operation.

The 63-year-old musician said in a statement Friday that he initially thought "normal service had been resumed" but then realized he needed more rest. He said "therefore, I must reluctantly cancel all the remaining engagements of this tour."

© Charles Sykes/Invision/Associated Press
Inductee Elvis Costello, right, and his wife Diana Krall attend the 47th Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Awards Gala.

"The spirit has been more than willing, but I have to now accept that it is going to take longer than I would have wished for me to recover my full strength," the statement said.

He vowed to "return at the soonest opportunity."

The cancelled concerts were in Britain, Croatia, Austria, Norway and Sweden.

Costello, whose hits include Alison and Pump it Up , urged men to go to their doctors if they had symptoms they were

worried about.

The singer has one date planned for Canada — a show at Vancouver's Queen Elizabeth Theatre in December.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment/ ... ocid=ientp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:21 pm 

Neil Young Left ‘Mentally Bruised And Battered’ Thanks To Unruly Crowd At Detroit Concert
Brent Furdyk
4 hrs ago

© Provided by Corus Media Holdings, Inc. Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images

Neil Young's solo acoustic concert in Detroit on Friday night didn't go as planned when a few rowdy, obnoxious audience members disrupted the performance by yelling throughout the show.

The concert, which was billed as "Neil Young Solo," was meant to be an intimate journey through Young's career as a singer-songwriter, yet the Detroit News reports that some fans acted as if they were attending one of Young's raucous rock shows with his high-decibel backup band, Crazy Horse.

"I hope you know I'm not keeping track of those," Young told those in the crowd who yelled song titles at him, reports the newspaper. "You can keep shouting them, but I'm never going to play any of them," Young added, with the News noting that the 72-year-old rock icon sounded "peeved" as he attempted to tell a story about a particular song while being continually interrupted by yelling.

Young himself addressed the concert in a blog post on his Archives website, titling the post "Rough Night."

Noting that he had just played similar solo shows in Chicago and St. Louis, Young describes those shows as being "free and easy and I had the unbridled ability to lose myself in any song when the moment came."

In Detroit, however, "we had something going against that. It was the fourth of July holiday and some folks were celebrating, already high when they arrived at the show. Because it was a holiday, I could see it coming. They were focused on their celebration, kind of like a festival," he continues.

"Any subtle solo performance of songs is very challenged under those conditions," Young writes. "Of course, if I had a band, I could just blast out the show and rock on. So I came away from Detroit a bit mentally bruised and battered, yet still happy that so many people enjoyed the performance that I had tried to give them, even though they were somewhat short-changed by circumstance."

Admitting that he's used to hearing fans yell out song titles during his shows, he writes that in the case of the Detroit show, "it seems that the yellers are not with me. They are interested in celebrating their love of the music in another way. There is nothing wrong with that for them. They are having the time of their lives out there. Unfortunately for the audience, everyone else misses out on what might have happened while I am distracted by those celebrating their favourite song titles, yelling them as loud as they can."

As Young explains, these rowdy interruptions inevitably diminish his performance. "I could slip deeply into a song if not distracted, but I am just relegated to the surface while fighting off distraction, and so is the rest of the audience. Likewise, I may have told a story that sets up the experience of listening to the song, if I was not interrupted while trying," he writes.

"Every time I got through this type of experience, part of me does not ever want to go through it again, yet it is a risk taken every time I walk out to a solo stage," he adds.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment/ ... ocid=ientp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:34 pm 

Frank would have walked off :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:40 pm 

Fans can be such dicks sometimes Melania.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:28 am 

it seems that way :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:30 am 

wouldn't walking off be the more dickish choice of actions?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 855, 856, 857, 858, 859, 860, 861 ... 864  Next