Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19828 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 790, 791, 792, 793, 794  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
The Computer as Music Critic

Interestingly, in creating a musical “vocabulary,” we found a well-known phenomenon common in written texts and many other domains: Zipf’s law, which predicts that the most frequent word in a text will appear twice as often as the next most frequent word, three times as often as the third most frequent, and so on. The same thing, we found, goes for music.

If we suppose that the most common note combination is used 100 times, the second most common combination will be used 50 times and the third 33 times. Importantly, we found that Zipf’s law held for each year’s vocabulary, from 1955 to 2010, with almost exactly the same “usage ordering” of code words every year. That suggests a general, static rule, one shared with linguistic texts and many other natural and artificial phenomena.

More about Zipf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCn8zs912OE

The of and to. A in is I. That it, for you, was with on. As have ... but be they.

https://plus.maths.org/content/mystery-zipf:
The mystery of Zipf. where a is close to 1. This is known as a "power law" and suggests that the most frequent word will occur approximately twice as often as the second most frequent word, which occurs twice as often as the fourth most frequent word, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:51 am 

I heard on the local college station yesterday after "I Want it All" played: "Rock stars are a selfish bunch, so many of their lyric's begin with the word I."

Electric Prunes "I"

Aye means yes to a sailor
Eye in a needle I can thread
I is a capiltal letter
But I have to live in my head.

If I say I too often
Then I hear my vanity shows
In I there is no silence
I must think a thought no one knows.

To find out my identity
I cannot start by being me
But trust your eyes to truth or lies
Can I get by by being I?

I stand for isolation
Eye is the heart of a storm
I must react like my brothers
If I choose that I will conform.

I get lost in the shuffle
When I echo another's choice
So I appear to be sleeping
When you think I've lost my voice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:46 pm 

^
^^
Nice!

Amid the coronavirus epidemic, real Central Scrutinizer is spotted in China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPw6xjwAlHc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:45 pm 

baddy wrote:
I heard on the local college station yesterday after "I Want it All" played: "Rock stars are a selfish bunch, so many of their lyric's begin with the word I."

Electric Prunes "I"

Aye means yes to a sailor
Eye in a needle I can thread
I is a capiltal letter
But I have to live in my head.

If I say I too often
Then I hear my vanity shows
In I there is no silence
I must think a thought no one knows.

To find out my identity
I cannot start by being me
But trust your eyes to truth or lies
Can I get by by being I?

I stand for isolation
Eye is the heart of a storm
I must react like my brothers
If I choose that I will conform.

I get lost in the shuffle
When I echo another's choice
So I appear to be sleeping
When you think I've lost my voice.

The whole lp is an all time favorite.
8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:13 pm 

pedro1 wrote:
The whole lp is an all time favorite. 8)
Here's another one in the series "essential in mono but not available on cd". Transferred from
a sealed vintage copy.

This was the last Prunes album to receive a dedicated mono mix, alongside the stereo. It was
recorded by the same team as the debut (with only four months between the release dates) and has
the same high production standard. The band contributed 7 out of 12 songs to this album,
which was a grand leap forward after only having one of their own appearing on the first LP.

Sadly, there were to be no more Prunes album's like the first two, as the band was 'taken over'
by their producer and manager and were forced to record an album of psychedelic church hymns,
before disbanding and being replaced by an entirely different group of players.

The Electric Prunes - Underground (1967) Orig. USA Mono

CD Quality (16bit/44.1kHz) :arrow: http://www.filefactory.com/file/4y6wdr8xnqsr/EP_UG_LR.rar

PASSWORD: profstoned

Hardware:
- Technics 1210mk2
- Jelco SA-750D Tonearm (w/ JAC 501 cable)
- Audio Technica AT33PTG MC
- Pro-Ject Tube Box SE-2
- Yamaha CA-1010
- RME ADI-2 A/D Interface

Software:
- Audition 3.0 used for editing, (incl. manual removal of clicks and pops) & adding gain.
- Click Repair 3.9.1 used with setting Cl: 15, Cr: 0 and mono summing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:09 am 

There's a part II to the story, which IMO is one of the more fulfilling comebacks in rock and roll...

They came back in '98 with a limited release CD called Artifact, which I see as the next album after Underground, with original essential members Lowe, Williams, Tulin, and also Quint...also joined by Peter Lewis of out other fruity band, Moby Grape.

One of my daughters sucked up my copy of Artifact (I still have the mp3's), and I thought it was too bad to be missing from my collection in hard copy as it didn't release again until (I just now found out) very recently...so yes, here it is, you can get it now...it's essential for a Prunes fan :)

If it goes out of print again, (lol, if they run out again), PM me.

Their most recent release "WaS!" is my favorite of their reincarnation years. Sadly Mark Tulin is gone now, but here are the last of his influences...I consider WaS just as essential as Underground...fortunately for us :)

Notes on WaS!
"Welcome to what WaS

Mark Tulin and I were collecting ideas and songs for our last adventure when he went through the door. I am not sure he is really gone because I hear his voice as clearly as if he were standing beside me. Usually Mark and I would send each other song ideas back and forth until we had the rough story line and music in hand, then we would meet and pound everything into submission.

This CD is a collection of those final ideas and messages between us and that is all we set out to present here; but a funny thing happened on the way to the recording studio. A new idea emerged behind a gig in Tokyo in an unusual snowstorm, and then someone sneezed on a girl in the subway, and a frozen winter chilled the planet; suddenly there were new thoughts, fresh ideas and new places to sketch our story in song, and a new video. Everyone in the band felt it. Like a blast of energy. The "was" became "is". We invite you to "be" with us, in a sonic way, and enjoy WaS!

James Lowe"

There are also two other IMO strong albums California and Feedback which get played, but of the later years WaS and Artifact get more play around here.

Here is their STORE :)

The Electric Prunes, Mujo 22, from Artifact :)
I'll have mine buzzy, with extra extra mushrooms please :)

We had "Prune Jokes" in the 60's, I think it's where they got their name...

What's Purple and goes Buzzz, Buzzz?
An Electric Prune :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:00 am 

Here's another one in the series "essential in mono but not available on cd". Transferred from
a sealed vintage copy.

This rare mono mix is much more enjoyable than its stereo counterpart, pretty much in the same way as
the Stones' album Aftermath. This comparison is of course partly deliberate, since both albums
share the same producer.

The Electric Prunes - The Electric Prunes (1967) Orig. US Mono

CD Quality (16bit/44.1kHz) :arrow: http://www.filefactory.com/file/674c3z7901ij/EP_EP_LR.rar

PASSWORD: profstoned

The record was professionally and carefully cleaned in three steps using Audio Intelligent's Enzymantic formula,
Super Cleaner Formula, and Ultra pure water on a VPI 16.5 (using VPI brushes) and Nitty Gritty mini-pro 2.
Some clicks and pops cleaned up manually. All restoration was done without harming the music.

Hardware:
- Technics 1210mk2
- Jelco SA-750D Tonearm (w/ JAC 501 cable)
- Audio Technica AT-33PTG
- Pro-Ject Tube Box SE-2
- Yamaha CA-1010
- RME ADI-2 A/D Interface

Software:
- Audition 3.0 used for adjusting DC bias. editing. (incl. manual removal of clicks
and pops.. adding gain and making the cue points.
- Click Repair 3.7 used with setting Cl: 10 Cr: 0
- CueListTool v1.7 & Mediaval CueSplitter used for generating the .cue's & .m3u's.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:53 pm 

Racist coronavirus event at Melbourne nightclub Pawn and Co cancelled after backlash

Quote:
A Melbourne promotional company has apologised after being accused of organising a "racist" and "insensitive" event at a nightclub that profited off the coronavirus health emergency.

The company, Mr Chan's, was set to host an event at Pawn and Co in Prahran on Friday advertised as a "Corona Chinese New Year Special".

Patrons could buy a Corona beer for $8 and get a free face mask and buy "Happy Ending" cocktails.

Anthony Leong, president of the Chinese-Australia Friendship Association, called out the event as "ignorant, racist and insensitive" shortly before the event was cancelled.

"I was surprised that somebody, anybody, could be so insensitive and ignorant in terms of profiting from this and thinking it was funny," Mr Leong said.

"I think the timing is not just ill-conceived and insulting, it also shows a lack of knowledge, empathy and humanity."

Pawn and Co pulled the event from its social media pages and apologised on Facebook on Wednesday night.

Mr Chan's posted a message on its Facebook page at the same time that said it recognised the promotion was "offensive" and apologised for the "inappropriate" material.

It said it was "taking action and reviewing the Mr Chan's branding immediately".

Mr Chan's appeared to have also shut down its Instagram account.

"We recognise that a promotional post that was made last week was offensive and we unreservedly apologise for this. We also recognise that some of our past promotional material was inappropriate, once again we apologise for this. We are taking action and reviewing the Mr Chan's branding immediately, it is important for us to run a night [club] that is inclusive for all," the company wrote on social media.

'They need to be held to account'
Mr Leong said the apology was "too little, too late".

"It is making a mockery of a situation that is now global, not just Chinese," he said.

"They need to be held to account. To make light of something that has been fatal to hundreds of people is the height of inhumanity and insensitivity."

Mr Leong said the event desensitised people to "casual racism".

"They say, 'Oh it's only a joke'. But it's only a joke if you happen not to be the butt of it."

"If a white person is having a so-called joke at the expense of, in this case, the Chinese, that's very funny if you happen to be white and privileged. If you are not, you are the victim."

American blogger Ranier Maningding wrote a post about the event and said the "abundance of racism" on Mr Chan's social media pages was "a huge concern".

"Especially since the racism was used as a marketing gimmick to sell more overpriced drinks. If that's their level of bigotry out in the open, what are they like behind closed doors?" Mr Maningding said.

'It is bullying, with very, very dark implications'
Mr Leong grew up in Melbourne and helped draft the 2001 Racial and Religious Tolerance Act.

He said education and not penalties was the key to changing racism in Australia.

"I believe these people should be told why this is wrong. I am part of the people they are making fun of and it is bullying, with very, very dark implications," he said.

Mr Leong said that unfortunately, he had witnessed a re-fuelling of racism in Australia over the last decade.

"It's becoming increasingly difficult to call out racism — people say you're being a bloody snowflake or you have a glass jaw," he said.

He also said education was "an uphill battle" when people were ignorant and unwilling to listen to how casual racism hurt those it was making fun of.

"I fear it will have to be a generational change," he said.

The Asian-themed event is the latest in a string of racially-fuelled attacks on Chinese Australians in the wake of the coronavirus.

Last week, Queensland Health dismissed a racist statement circulating on social media warning people against visiting Brisbane areas with high Chinese populations as a fake.

A surgeon on the Gold Coast has tweeted that one of her patients joked about not shaking her hand because of coronavirus.

ABC reporter Iris Zhao wrote about her own experience of racism in a supermarket where a woman was overheard saying Asians should "stay home" and "stop spreading the virus".

Pawn and Co and Mr Chan's have been approached for comment.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-06/racist-coronavirus-event-mr-chans-pawn-and-co-melbourne/11934426

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:03 pm 

we had a similar occurrence locally

Hamilton bar offering patrons cheap Corona beers 'while pandemic lasts'
asked by Lion Breweries to stop

Kirsty Lawrence·15:30, January 30th, 2020

A Hamilton bar offering Corona deals "while pandemic lasts" has pulled an ad labelled 'deplorable' by the Race Relations Commissioner.

The House on Hood Facebook page put up a post on Wednesday to promote a $6.50 Corona deal and said "mention your Corona loving mates to let them know about this great deal and you could be sharing a free one metre pizza".

The Corona virus, which originated in Wuhan, China, has so far killed 132 people globally and left more than 4500 sick.

The post has a picture of two men in boiler suits wearing masks and gloves holding the beer. "Virus or no virus, we still think Coronas are pretty great, so while the pandemic lasts, we're selling Coronas for just $6.50," it says.

Supplied
A post promoting $6.50 Corona's "while the pandemic lasts" is attracting mixed responses on Facebook.

Human Rights Commission Race Relations Commissioner Meng Foon slammed the ad as "absolutely bad taste".

"It's deplorable that this business is capitalising on people dying."

When he saw the picture Foon said he felt "sick to the core".

Using this situation to gain financial gain was just not on, he said.

When the Whakaari/White Island eruption, and the Christchurch terror attack, happened there were no such promotions, he said.

"People are sick in the mind."

CHRIS SKELTON/STUFF
Race Relations Commissioner Meng Foon felt "sick to the core" when he saw the ad.

​Lawrenson Group chief executive officer John Lawrenson, who owns House on Hood, told Stuff he thought the original ad was fine and had expected this kind of reaction.

"About 90 per cent of people react with a like or a laugh and about 10 per cent with an angry or sad face.

"However, the 10 per cent are very vocal and share and comment to express their displeasure and that seems to drastically increase the reach of the ad for us."

However, hours later the ad was taken down, and replaced with a toned down version, after Lion said said they did not condone it.

"We have been in touch with the venue and asked that it be discontinued," a spokesperson said.

Lawrenson said Lion had no clout to stop him doing the post, as he did not actually buy his Corona from them. But someone had called him and asked him nicely for a favour, so he said yes.

FACEBOOK
House on Hood has caused outrage again with their latest Facebook ad.

He had reworked the post and uploaded a picture of a Corona bottle wearing a protective mask. "Let's be honest, there are worse things you can catch in Hamilton. Coronas still $6.50 all summer long", it says.

King St advertising chief executive officer Chris Williams said he had been waiting for someone to do something like this.

While he said shock advertising could do well in the short-term, he didn't think it was right to cash in on this situation.

"It's in bad taste and just not right. People are dying."

CHRISTEL YARDLEY/STUFF
Hamilton Mayor Paula Southgate also thought the ad was really insensitive.

Williams said he didn't think the term "any publicity was good publicity" applied anymore and said this ad was no different to Otago cartoonist Garrick Tremain's cartoon mocking the deadly Samoan measles epidemic.

"That was terrible as well. This is no different in many ways."

Hamilton Mayor Paula Southgate also thought the ad was really insensitive.

"People have lost their lives and people are fearful of it," she said.

"I'm not a fan of what I would describe as poor taste."

CHRISTEL YARDLEY/STUFF
This isn't the first time House on Hood has used current affairs as an advertising opportunity.

The original post received mixed responses on Facebook, with some people calling it "shameful" and other "brilliant".

This isn't the first time House on Hood has used current affairs as an advertising opportunity.

They played on a crude joke Hamilton City Councillor Mark Bunting sent to freelance journalist Angela Cuming in 2017, but later deleted the post at the request of council.

When Metiria Turei was in trouble with Winz they posted a meme as well as when Bill English lost the Eminem case for copyright and NZ First and Labour formed a coalition.

FACEBOOK
The second ad House on Hood posted after being contacted by Lion.

​Lawrenson said they had covered a range of topical personalities in the past, from Bill English, Simon Bridges and Israel Folau to Brian Tamaki, Greta Thunberg and Metiria Turei.

"It's unavoidable that some will disagree with the approach, but many others love it, and it has certainly been successful."

Lawrenson said the success of these ads was based on the fact in society there was a small per cent of the population that took it upon themselves to be outraged on behalf of everyone else.

"I guess I would say to them that just because they are offended, it doesn't mean that everyone else is. There are probably far more impactful things they could be doing with their time than frantically typing on their keyboards."

The Advertising Standards Authority said they had not received any complaints about the ad.

Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/119139 ... emic-lasts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:09 am 

Currently the storm Ciara has hit the Dutch land. We're waiting to see what happens over the next few hours...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:00 am 

Former Air Force Drone Operator Speaks Out Against US Atrocities

by Brett Wilkins/ Posted on February 08, 2020

Brandon Bryant was a sensor operator of USAF unmanned aerial drones from 2006 to 2011. His job was targeted killing – remotely firing missiles at targets 7,000 miles (11,000 km) away from an air-conditioned command center near Las Vegas, Nevada. During his Air Force tenure, Bryant says his squadron engaged 1,626 targets, including women and children. He estimates that he is personally responsible for the deaths of 13 people.

Bryant told Britain’s Independent that he reached his breaking point after accidentally killing a child in Afghanistan. He had just fired a Hellfire* missile at a building containing an enemy target when he saw a child leave the building. Bryant reported the incident to his superiors. "It was a fucking dog," he was told. "Drop it." But he couldn’t drop it. "When the missile struck, I knew in my soul I had become a murderer," he said.

Earlier, after his first kill, other airmen in his squadron congratulated Bryant on "popping his cherry."

...FULL STORY HERE...

He knows...

(*BTW, a Hellfire costs $210, 000...I remember 20 years ago when my share of gov't debt was $26, 000...last I saw it was over $190, 000 which can't ever pay-off, meaning my kids and grandkids will be paying it with interest...As we stand idly by (not voting and voting only for evils), the rich bankers have found a way to drive our grandkids into debt to them...our unborn grandkids already oppressed by the rich...the price of apathy).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:54 am 

Glenn Greenwald

@ggreenwald
Quote:
In an astounding stroke of luck for the Bolsonaro family, the fugitive-chief of Rio's most terrifying militia, linked to Marielle's assassination, whose wife & mother were disturbingly employed in the son of Boslonaro's cabinet for more than a decade, was found & killed today.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:07 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Glenn Greenwald

@ggreenwald
Quote:
In an astounding stroke of luck for the Bolsonaro family, the fugitive-chief of Rio's most terrifying militia, linked to Marielle's assassination, whose wife & mother were disturbingly employed in the son of Boslonaro's cabinet for more than a decade, was found & killed today.

how fortuitous.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:27 am 

Police 'wearing hazmat suits' will be able to HANDCUFF suspected coronavirus patients and force them back into quarantine: Tough new laws after a patient tried to 'BREAK OUT' from Arrowe Park and total UK infected DOUBLES to eight

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7986189/Health-Secretary-Matt-Hancock-warns-coronavirus-imminent-threat-British-public.html

Health Secretary Matt Hancock says coronavirus is 'serious and imminent threat' to the British public

The announcement will give the government powers to forcibly quarantine victims

Powers are brought in after a Briton staying at Arrowe Park hospital tried to flee before his isolation ended

It comes as there are now eight confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the UK, five of whom are linked

Do you know the patient who threatened to leave Arrowe Park? Email ed.riley@mailonline.co.uk or sam.blanchard@mailonline.co.uk

By Ed Riley For Mailonline and James Tapsfield, Mailonline Political Editor and Sam Blanchard Senior Health Reporter For Mailonline

Published: 02:42 EST, 10 February 2020 | Updated: 10:58 EST, 10 February 2020

Police in the UK have been given the power to seize people in danger of spreading coronavirus and force them into isolation in handcuffs, the government announced today.

A new law was hurriedly brought into force after a patient staying at Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral reportedly tried to leave before completing the 14-day stay after his return from China.

Government sources said those who returned to the UK on the evacuation flights on January 31 were given a 'very clear choice' and had to sign contracts saying they would remain in isolation for a fortnight.

But a source involved with the Arrowe Park incident said: 'We found we didn't have the necessary enforcement powers to make sure they didn't leave.'

Police will now be able to force people to remain in the units and, if they leave, to arrest them for committing an offence and take them back to the quarantine facility, MailOnline understands.

And they will also be allowed to hunt down and capture people if they 'may be infected or contaminated [and] could present a risk to public health'.

This extraordinary power comes after footage from China showed a team of around a dozen security officials chasing a suspected coronavirus patient through the streets in a bid to catch them.

England today announced its fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth cases of the virus in Brighton – all of the three men and a woman are linked to the fourth patient, who has now been dubbed a 'super-spreader'.

The fourth patient was a businessman who returned to the UK from a conference in Singapore via a ski chalet in France, where other Britons were subsequently taken ill with the virus.

The Department of Health today declared the outbreak a 'serious and imminent' threat to the British public as it announced new powers to fight the spread.

In other developments to the outbreak today:

World Health Organization chief warns coronavirus outbreak could 'only be the tip of the iceberg' amid fears thousands of cases are going missing

Just under a fifth of known cases of the new coronavirus in China may be resulting in death, a new report estimates

The coronavirus can survive on door handles and bus or train poles for up to nine days - more than four times longer than flu, according to research

London's FTSE 100 weakened after Mr Hancock declared the coronavirus outbreak a serious and imminent threat to public health

Nearly 100 people died from coronavirus in China yesterday on the deadliest day of the six-week outbreak so far

Amazon and Sony are the latest companies to pull out of this month's Mobile World Congress, due to be held in Barcelona, because of the coronavirus outbreak

Sixty-six more passengers on a cruise ship in Japan have been diagnosed the killer infection, taking the ship's toll to around 136

Two quarantined patients are seen looking out of a window at the isolation facility in Arrowe Park Hospital, Wirral, Merseyside. Their two weeks of isolation is expected to come to an end on Saturday this week

A member of staff at the County Oak Medical Centre in Brighton has reportedly been diagnosed with the coronavirus today. The surgery is closed because for 'urgent operational health and safety reasons'

The announcement by Matt Hancock (pictured) gives the Government greater powers to fight the spread of the virus, with eight confirmed cases in the UK

A total of five people have now been diagnosed in Brighton. The four new cases have been linked to the first man who was diagnosed there after returning from the Alps

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said of today's new regulation: 'I will do everything in my power to keep people in this country safe.

'We are taking every possible step to control the outbreak of coronavirus. NHS staff and others will now be supported with additional legal powers to keep people safe across the country.

'The transmission of coronavirus would constitute a serious threat – so I am taking action to protect the public and isolate those at risk of spreading the virus.

'Clinical advice has not changed about the risk to the public, which remains moderate. We are taking a belt and braces approach to all necessary precautions to ensure public safety.

'Our infection control procedures are world leading – what I am announcing today further strengthens our response.'

Mr Hancock said that the new measures 'are considered as an effective means of delaying or preventing further transmission of the virus.'

The regulations have been issued under the 1984 Public Health (Control of Disease) Act, which grants the Health Secretary powers to stop illnesses spreading.

They take effect immediately, putting into law the power to capture and detain people who are suspected of having the coronavirus. It is understood that the police will have the power to force people to comply if necessary.

Arrowe Park Hospital in Merseyside and Kents Hill Park in Milton Keynes are now designated as 'isolation' facilities – it is primarily the people staying in these facilities who will be affected by the new regulation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:39 pm 

^^^We watched Contagion over the weekend last week because I told RG Kat this story line matched the movie aside from the fact the virus in the movie killed most people that contracted it with in a couple of days, even the source Corona - Bat Bat at a meat market and Movie - Bat Bat Pig at a meat market is spooky...at the time they made the Movie a Gal that worked as an adviser said she wanted it to be as real as possible and no quick miracle cures (since that isn't what happens) or she wouldn't work on the film...recommend everyone watch it or re-watch it since it has a wealth of knowledge including do's and don'ts... :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:06 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:21 am 

i agree...
i meant to post that in the random photos thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:16 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
i agree...
i meant to post that in the random photos thread.

I almost pulled an LM and thought that was some kind of negative and/or positive comment on my post before, I became so confused my micro brain nearly exploded... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:17 am 

hahaa!
sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:58 am 

Best headline, ever!
(front page, Friday's edition)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:10 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Best headline, ever!
(front page, Friday's edition)

is that a bat in your pocket.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:03 am 

GM Ditch Holden after 160 Years company is dead :?
https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/prime-minister-slams-holdens-australian-exit-after-2-billion-handout/news-story/6bbdf84b166bdead59ed64af15f1d5aa
Quote:
The Federal Government has lashed out at General Motors for “walking away” from the Australian market and killing off the iconic Holden brand after accepting billions of dollars to keep its operation afloat.

In 2013, it was revealed the car manufacturer had been gifted a staggering $2.17 billion in subsidies over just 12 years to help keep the thousands of jobs ticking over.

But when the Abbott Government reduced its support the once mighty company eventually closed its Adelaide plant in 2017, which was the beginning of the end for the brand synonymous with Australia’s working class culture.

GM confirmed today the Holden brand will disappear at the end of the year after revealing it will no longer make cars suitable for Australian roads.

Things are crook in Tullarook :cry:

Quote:
The town is known in Australia for the colloquialism, "Things are crook in Tallarook", believed to date to the Great Depression and unemployed travellers seeking work. The phrase became the basis of a song composed by Jack O'Hagan—Things Is Crook In Tallarook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49MBxzQ-9sY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:53 am 

^^^^^

All that heritage, I can't even talk about it.....Brock would be spewing SPEWING!

:(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:07 pm 

Meat Pies, Kangaroo's and Holden cars, I guess :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpEJJyayzx8
Well here he is in 05

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19828 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 790, 791, 792, 793, 794  Next