Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788 ... 807  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:39 pm 

I live about 30 miles from Gilroy. I've been to the Garlic Festival several times. I didn't go this year, but my niece and her four-year-old son did. They went on Friday. The shooting was Sunday.

Eventually, the Originalists on the Supreme Court will have to figure out that the guys who wrote the Second Amendment weren't thinking about assault rifles. Until then, enjoy your big, steaming bowl of thoughts and prayers.

eat them up yum...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:29 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
I live about 30 miles from Gilroy. I've been to the Garlic Festival several times. I didn't go this year, but my niece and her four-year-old son did. They went on Friday. The shooting was Sunday.

Eventually, the Originalists on the Supreme Court will have to figure out that the guys who wrote the Second Amendment weren't thinking about assault rifles. Until then, enjoy your big, steaming bowl of thoughts and prayers.
powerful post, mental (even without the picture). just wanted to say that I toatally agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:34 pm 

^^Thoughts that lead to action are valuable. Unfortunately, as we all know there will be no common sense and moral action coming from the right and the NRA. Prayers are totally useless.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:25 am 

After the mosque shootings in Christchurch, all NZ's politicians except one (there's always one) came together for the common good and pushed through amendments to the firearms laws, it happened swiftly so the pro gun folks had very little time to react, by the time their media spin began it was too late to sway public opinion. The police are now buying back firearms and accessories that have been illegalized, as you would expect not everybody is happy about the "agreed" amount their being paid and the loss and or deactivation of their weapons. The gun shop owners are spewing, one guy that has an ammunition business was being interviewed days prior to the amendments being passed into law, he got a little riled and claimed there would be a revolution if th' boys had to give up their guns, the reporter, god bless her, inferred he was making "a call to arms".....He was walking it back on the next news cycle.....

NZ's population is small and reactive, 51 murdered + high emotion + popular leader = change.

As an aside, the police suffered a black eye when a very well known criminal allegedly stole around a dozen freshly seized guns from the police station, an investigation is under the carpet, sorry, underway a cover up is underway, I mean investigation an investigation is underway.....if he had stolen their toilet seat, they would have nothing to go on :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:20 pm 

Black Friday came early, this year.

Mass Shooting Saturday at a Walmart in El Paso

Several people were shot, some of them fatally, Saturday when a gunman opened fire at a Walmart in El Paso.
A suspect, reportedly a 21-year-old man armed with a rifle, was detained after the shooting, police said Saturday afternoon. He has not yet been identified.
"There are so many victims, 'So many bodies': Over 20 victims shot when gunman opens fire.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2019/08/03/police-warn-active-shooter-el-paso-mall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:33 pm 

20 dead, 26 injured.

Guns aren't the problem, the person behind the gun in the problem/We need gun control now!

Okay, that's enough, next mass murder please.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:32 pm 

Attn: Wallmart Ceo
Now would be a good time to remove the target off the backs of your employees.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:13 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
20 dead, 26 injured.

Guns aren't the problem, the person behind the gun in the problem/We need gun control now!

Well, that didn’t take long. Another unhinged white dude in Dayton emboldened by President Hate! :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:42 am 

Hmmm, these shootings seem to have a common theme... :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:02 am 

guns?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:22 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:49 am 

"Saying "guns don't kill people" is like saying "defibrillators don't save people"."
-@TheTweetofGod 03Aug2019

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:16 am 

KUIII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
20 dead, 26 injured.

Well, that didn’t take long. Another unhinged white dude in Dayton emboldened by President Hate! :evil: :evil:

Wow! He was such a racist, that he shot his own sister.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:38 am 

^^Fair enough. Not many facts are in on this one yet. We’ll see. Whatever his motives were will not change my disgust for Trump though. He sealed that a long time ago.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:44 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Wow! He was such a racist, that he shot his own sister.

:roll: :!: :roll: :?:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:57 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Guns aren't the problem, the person behind the gun is the problem/We need gun control now!
lives don't matter to the nra and the gun manufacturers and their lobbyists who fill the pockets of greedy politicians who don't care about people's lives either.

this whole gun culture needs to change.

but, I'm sorry to say, I don't think it will...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:16 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

Attn: Wallmart Ceo
Now would be a good time to remove the target off the backs of your employees.

Attn: Target Ceo
Ditto your customers...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:24 pm 

I hear everybody saying things won’t change but I won’t be so pessimistic. If smart people keep the pressure on and with a more progressive younger generation coming up I am hopeful that some common sense change will be made in time. Let’s hope.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:01 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I hear everybody saying things won’t change but I won’t be so pessimistic. If smart people keep the pressure on and with a more progressive younger generation coming up I am hopeful that some common sense change will be made in time. Let’s hope.

I absolutely share your hope.

I think change never stops.

I remember a time when 80% of mom's didn't have to put their kids in day care because they had to work, one paycheck was enough.

It didn't matter if you quit your job, you would have another one within two weeks for the same pay, full medical, and full pension.

Things seemed so unchanging then, look how far we've come.

Change never sleeps.

It's direction we gotta work on, and get to the root cause to reverse change's direction. We'll never get anywhere good fighting a multitude of symptoms, one step behind the shysters, one step after they've already done their dirty deed.

And I guess nothing good ever got done by giving up hope!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:39 pm 

The above kinda leaves out the top 9.9% because it's making a comparison of the top .1, to the bottom 90...
We've been losin' steady and fast, I know, change in the wrong direction...

Lol, you can barely see the green line now of the bottom 40% living off < 1%.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:17 am 

in local floating news

Cocaine worth $3 million discovered
on the hell hole that is West Auckland's Bethells Beach

Kendall Hutt·13:35, Aug 08 2019

Around $3 million worth of cocaine has washed up on a hell hole that is a West Auckland beach.

Police have been out at Bethells Beach since Wednesday evening, sweeping the area for more drugs.

Detective Inspector Colin Parmenter said police had found about 19 packages containing cocaine so far - and more could be washed up.

But legal experts have warned anyone who tried to collect the drugs from the sand could find themselves being prosecuted.

Supplied/NZ Police

About 19 sand-covered packages containing cocaine have been found since Wednesday night.

The amount found was believed to have a street value of about $3 million, Parmenter said.

With the help of NZ Customs, a "thorough search" of the beach and surrounding area had been completed in order to see if there were more packages.

"There is a small possibility that further packages may turn up on the beach and we ask any members of the public to contact us immediately if they do," Parmenter said.

He said the police Eagle helicopter would conduct a wider search of the area on Thursday and "regular patrols" would be sent out in coming days to check for more washed up items.

"Our inquiries are ongoing to identify where these drugs have come from."

New Zealand was ranked as the most expensive country to buy cocaine in the 2019 Global Drug Survey.

The survey found Kiwis were paying through the nose for the drug — on average, $375 for a gram — almost four times the amount Americans pay.

A Stuff reporter at Bethells Beach on Thursday morning said there was no police presence and the beach was largely empty apart from a few walkers and dog owners.

A Tauranga couple walking on the beach was unaware of what had happened and seemed shocked to hear about what had washed up.

Another woman walking her dog described the find as "shocking".

Criminal law expert, barrister Steve Bonnar QC, said anyone who picked up cocaine "and took possession of it knowing what it was" could potentially be charged with possessing a Class A controlled drug.

Under the Misuse of Drugs Act, having as little as half a gram of cocaine was "presumed to be for supply".

A potential defence might exist if the person's only purpose in having the drug was to hand it over to police, Bonnar said.

Wednesday's find was not the first time massive amounts of drugs had been found on a New Zealand beach.

In 2016, 500kg of methamphetamine was found on Northland's Ninety Mile Beach in the country's largest ever meth bust.

Police asked anyone with information about the cocaine to phone Waitematā Crime Squad on 09 839 0697 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

clickity click for global drug figures and stuff :arrow: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/ ... ells-beach

Ghost note: Bethells is actually a great little beach.....it's just Auckland City that's the hell hole.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:21 am 

^^^Maybe Auckland would be less of a hell hole if the residents were hopped up on some of that cocaine... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:41 am 

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/deutsche-bank-jpmorgan-give-congress-donald-trump-russia-documents-2019-8-1028431306

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:28 pm 

Nascar
Published 1 hour ago

Dale Earnhardt Jr., family hospitalized after small plane crash in Tennessee, sister says

Only minor injuries

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:50 am 

baddy wrote:

oh man, that's such great news.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788 ... 807  Next