Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21986 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 880  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:29 pm 
Banned

Bridge Collapses In Downtown Minneapolis
- 6 Confirmed Dead

Minneapolis, Minnesota - A major bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota collapsed this afternoon, dumping at least fifty cars and trucks into the water and land below.

The center of the Interstate Hwy. 35W bridge collapsed about 6:05 p.m. with nearly 100 cars on it during rush hour.

A tractor-trailer caught fire, and flame and black smoke billowed into the sky.

Local television stations captured video of injured people being carried up the riverbank. There was no immediate word on injuries, but dozens of rescue vehicles were there. Divers were also in the water.

Cars and people were stranded on parts of the bridge that weren't completely submerged and some vehicles were on fire.

Workers have been repairing the bridge surface as part of improvements along that stretch of the Interstate.

Rescue workers were helping some people from cars in the river.

Witnesses at the scene said the entire bridge collapsed, leaving part of the roadway submerged and part above water.

A number of people were walking around on the roadway that was not submerged.

"It is just horrific," said witness Marilyn Franzen, who saw the bridge collapse. Franzen said she saw a school bus that managed to stop before the going over the edge of the bridge that she said was carrying 20-30 children.

It was not clear how many people might be hurt or killed. NBC News reported that every Minneapolis ambulance has been requested to the scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:00 pm 

Damn. It's like the '88 SF earthquake all over again... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:32 am 

suterb wrote:
Damn. It's like the '88 SF earthquake all over again... :cry:

Was that the Nimmets Freeway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:07 am 

Last I heard, it was 7 dead, 38 wounded, and I'm sure they'll find many more as they keep searching cars in the water. What a shame.... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:14 pm 

i don't know the final death toll, but it's amazing more people didn't die. horrific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:29 pm 

They just ran a check on the bridge's structure, a month or 2 ago. Results due in October.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:34 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
They just ran a check on the bridge's structure, a month or 2 ago. Results due in October.

Looks like the results came in early...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:18 pm 
Banned

VCF wrote:
Polar bear genitals shrinking due to pollution
Shrinkage could endanger animals with already have low reproduction rate

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14485634/

Hey . . . the water's cold up here! :lol:

vcf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:35 pm 
Banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:04 pm 

UN's website breached by hackers

Hackers have attacked the United Nations official website, forcing some sections to be taken offline.

Slogans accusing the US and Israel of killing children appeared on the pages reserved for statements from UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon.

Other pages on the site were also breached by the group, who described their actions as a "cyberprotest".

In other attacks by hackers using the same names, they have claimed to be from Turkey.

The message on the UN site said: "Hey Ysrail and Usa dont kill children and other people Peace for ever No war."

The hackers named themselves as "kerem125", "Gsy" and "M0sted".

Groups using the same names have attacked many websites.

In one message left on a travel agency site, they described themselves as "Turkish defacers".

The UN was forced to take down the affected pages for repair, but later managed to restore the secretary general's statements.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6943385.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:03 am 

Motorway shut after biker murder

Eyewitness account
A section of the M40 remains closed as police carry out searches where a motorcyclist was shot dead.

The murder victim, aged in his 30s, died on the southbound carriageway near Leamington Spa in Warwickshire.

Biker gangs are a "strong line of inquiry" said police, who also want to trace the occupants of a green Rover 620 seen nearby when the man was shot.

The motorway is closed between junctions 10 and 14 northbound and between junctions 14 and 12 southbound.

Motorists have been advised to avoid the area during the morning and use public transport or other motorway routes.

Witnesses saw car

The man, who died between junctions 13 and 12, is thought to have attended the Bulldog Bash, billed as Europe's top biker party, held at Long Marston airfield near Stratford.

A post-mortem examination is to be carried out on the man's body later on Monday.

Police have said they do not believe it was a road rage attack.

The shooting bears similarities with a similar incident in 2001 when a Canadian man, who had spent the weekend at the Bulldog Bash, was shot in the leg as he rode his motorbike down the M40 towards London.

Picture of scene sent in by Ben East
About 400 vehicles were trapped at the crime scene (pic Ben East)

Det Supt Ken Lawrence, of Warwickshire Police, said officers wanted to speak to people travelling in the Rover 620 who may have been linked to Sunday's shooting.

"One or two witness accounts have mentioned this car being close to the motorcycles at the time something clearly happened," he said.

"It is for that reason I want to trace that car and speak to the occupants."

He said detectives were not aware of any disputes at the Bulldog Bash which could be linked to the shooting.

He added: "If there were any we are anxious to find out what they were and what they were about."

Map of scene

The incident caused 10-mile tailbacks in both directions with about 400 cars caught within the crime scene. They were all allowed off the motorway by Sunday night.

Det Supt Lawrence said the southbound carriageway would probably remain closed until late on Monday morning and possibly until lunchtime.

Paul Roberts, from Worthing, was driving along the M40 when the incident happened.

He said: "Suddenly we had to stop... soon other motorists were out of their cars and on the carriageway.

"One lady in a BMW took a first aid kit to the man who was lying on his front just next to the central reservation."

Police are appealing for any motorists travelling on the M40 who may have witnessed the incident to contact them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:23 am 

Two German scientists claim to have broken the speed of light

Two physicists in Germany claim they have broken the speed of light, an accomplishment which, according to Albert Einstein's special theory of relativity, is impossible. The claim is made by Gunter Nimtz and Alfons Stahlhofen, both of the University of Koblenz.

The pair claim that in an experiment they set up, microwave photons travelled "instantaneously" between two prisms that had been moved apart to distances ranging from a few millimetres to three feet. According to Einstein's calculations, to propel an object faster than the speed of light - which is about 186,000 miles per second - would require an infinite amount of energy.

The scientists originally began experimenting with the prisms placed against each other to form a 40 cm cube. They then passed microwaves of wavelength 30 cm through the prisms. As they moved the prisms apart, some of them were refracted, and some, as predicted, began quantum tunnelling across the gap. The scientists say that both the refracted and the tunneling particles reached the detectors set up for each at the same time, suggesting the tunnelling photons had jumped the gap at significantly beyond the speed of light.

The duo were conducting various experiments in quantum tunnelling, a bizarre phenomenon which allows sub-atomic particles to behave in manners that are apparently impossible. Quantum tunnelling occurs when photons cross over a seemingly uncrossable barrier. However, Nimtz said of his discovery to the New Scientist magazine "For the time being, this is the only violation of special relativity that I know of."

Some sources believe the pair misinterpreted their results, citing another phenomenon, known as the Hartman Effect. This effect predicts that "the tunnelling (sic) time becomes independent of barrier length for thick enough barriers, ultimately resulting in unbounded tunnelling (sic) velocities", i.e. an individual photon may appear to be travelling at significantly beyond the speed of light. And research published by Herbert G Winful of the University of Michigan casts further doubt on the claim, stating that unusually brief delays in tunneling "should not be linked to a velocity since evanescent waves do not propagate".

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Two_German_ ... d_of_light

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:28 am 
Banned

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Two German scientists claim to have broken the speed of light

Clumsy bastards! I sure hope that they fix it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:27 pm 

Rumors of Fidel Castro's death circulating

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

August 24, 2007

Rumors of Castro's death began circulating today. PerezHilton.com was the first to "break" the news, saying that an official announcement would be coming at 4pm. No official announcements have been made. The Miami Herald acknowledged the flurry of rumors with a new article posted today, yet remained wary of the validity of the rumors.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Rumors_of_Fidel_Castro%27s_death_circulating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:21 pm 
Banned

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

August 24, 2007

Rumors of Castro's death began circulating today. PerezHilton.com was the first to "break" the news, saying that an official announcement would be coming at 4pm. No official announcements have been made. The Miami Herald acknowledged the flurry of rumors with a new article posted today, yet remained wary of the validity of the rumors.

Castro Still Undead At 81

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:27 pm 

Something for me to be proud of (I think):

West Virginia University regains title as number 1 party school

West Virginia University has once again been named "number 1 party school" by the Princeton Review.

School administrators say they are disappointed, because they have been trying to curb underage drinking and rowdy behavior. The school has made the list seven times in the past fifteen years. WVU senior Katie O'Hara says the school keeps making the list because, "No matter what kind of party you want it's here -- bars, fraternities, house parties."

New WVU President Mike Garrison said, "I'm focused on the way this university changes people's lives, the research that we do and the service we provide to the state of West Virginia."

Garrison also pointed out the university finished among the top 10 in other categories: No. 4 in Students Pack the Stadiums; No. 5 for Best College Library; No. 6 for Lots of Beer; No. 7 for Lots of Hard Liquor; and No. 8 for Best College Newspaper.

At number two on the party list was the University of Mississippi, followed by the University of Texas at Austin, the University of Florida, the University of Georgia, and Penn State University.

However, Brigham Young University, took the top spot in the "stone cold sober" category for the tenth year in a row.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:26 pm 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:

Good Lord! He has zombie eyes!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:28 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

August 24, 2007

Good lord! I don't think that proves anything! Looks like they dug him up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:37 am 
Banned

Attorney General Gonzales Steps Down

The Torture Czar just gave a 2-minute speech. He's fuckin' outta here!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:14 am 

Attorney General Gonzales Steps Down

The Torture Czar just gave a 2-minute speech. He's fuckin' outta here!!!

Now with the crimes of the past safely buried with the fall guy's departure, we can get started with the fresh crimes of the future.

Interesting Pelosi says impeachment of Bush and Cheney would waste Congresses valuable time and therefore must be off the table, but the Dems had plenty of time to go after Gonzalas, (a move that wouldn't make 1/1000th the difference a Bush/Cheney impeachment would make). It would be quick to get Bush and cheney impeached (if they wanted to piss off the doners), the work of the case for impeachment has already been done, (Conyers did it last year). Maybe now that Gonzalas is gone, Pelosi will have time to go after Bush...lol.

I guess the big winner in this is the Democrat leaders as it's a "political vicrtory" for them. Although I doubt they'll be any discernable difference with the next Bush yes-man (Chertoff), in there now as attorney general, the hardcore Dem voters can be happy that they "won" something...but in reality the Dem leaders have kept their hard core followers distracted by theatrics, their followers haven't managed to get their eye on the ball yet: the fact that nothing's going to matter until we break corporates hold on Congress by ousting all the big money corrupt leaders, Republican and Democrats alike.

Nothing's going to matter until we oust all the corporate bastards...from BOTH partys, I would consider that so important that it would be a waste of my energy to persure other things that won't make a discernable difference...as Issac Newton said, "I'm unwilling to meddle with any other method but the right one."

Replacing one asshole with another doesn't accomplish a lot in my book.

IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:59 am 
Banned

This just in.....Michael Vick has found Jesus!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:45 am 

This man is trying desperately to let everyone know he's not queer:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/29/craig.arrest/

BOISE, Idaho (CNN) -- Sen. Larry Craig, who pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct after an incident in an airport restroom, is losing support among conservatives and Republicans in his home state of Idaho.

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:08 am 

VCF wrote:
This man is trying desperately to let everyone know he's not queer:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/29/craig.arrest/

BOISE, Idaho (CNN) -- Sen. Larry Craig, who pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct after an incident in an airport restroom, is losing support among conservatives and Republicans in his home state of Idaho.

The funniest part is that he actually thought if he plead guilty to this, it would go away. Ha!

Post subject: Uh-oh...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:20 pm 

:shock: A Democrat was caught doing the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:34 pm 

First Ken Lay mysteriously bites The Big One and now this.....

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Banker, Enron witness found dead in London park: BBC

--12:08pm - By Aude Lagorce
LONDON (MarketWatch) -- A banker who worked for the Royal Bank of Scotland and was questioned by the FBI about the Enron fraud case has been found dead in an East London park, the BBC reported. The body has been identified as banker Neil Couldbeck, the BBC said, citing unnamed sources. According to the report, police are keeping an open mind about whether the death was linked to the Enron investigation, which involved RBS subsidiary NatWest. Three British former NatWest employees are being extradited to the U.S. on Thursday to face fraud charges.

I worked for WorldCom when they went belly-up (luckily I got out just in time to get my severance), so I hope all those corrupt douche bags die a horrible, painful death.

Really,.....I'm a nice girl. I just believe an eye for an eye.......

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21986 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 880  Next