Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 854, 855, 856, 857, 858, 859, 860, 861  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:39 pm 

Irish voters show landslide support for liberalizing abortion laws, exit poll shows

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:22 pm 

Glad you guys liked Mr. GG and dm.

Hope you're hangin in there Mr. Green Genes.

Agreed plook, years supply boring cans of beans and rice for every household member, minimum.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

House easily passes $717B defense authorization bill

The House on Thursday effortlessly passed its $717 billion defense policy bill for fiscal 2019, with more than 100 Democrats backing the measure alongside Republicans.

The House’s version of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) passed 351-66, with 131 Democrats siding with 220 Republicans to support the bill.

MORE HERE

baddy's note: hey what the fuck, we got it.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 pm 

Legendary Australian guitarist Phil Emmanuel has died, aged 65

Sad news - Legendary Australian guitarist Phil Emmanuel has died, aged 65

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...9cb?ocid=ientp

Phil and Tommy once played together as the Emmanuel Brothers and featured on stages all over the world alongside other music greats such as John Farnham, Jimmy Barnes, INXS, Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson
The brothers do Mozart:
https://youtu.be/is4JWEu7oS4

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:41 am 

Indy 500 starts momentarily watch and enjoy... :D

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:05 pm 

Aussie Will Power wins... :!:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:58 pm 

From the New York Times

F.B.I.’s Urgent Request: Reboot Your Router to Stop Russia-Linked Malware

Hoping to thwart a sophisticated malware system linked to Russia that has infected hundreds of thousands of internet routers, the F.B.I. has made an urgent request to anybody with one of the devices: Turn it off, and then turn it back on.

The malware is capable of blocking web traffic, collecting information that passes through home and office routers, and disabling the devices entirely, the bureau announced on Friday.

A global network of hundreds of thousands of routers is already under the control of the Sofacy Group, the Justice Department said last week. That group, which is also known as A.P.T. 28 and Fancy Bear and believed to be directed by Russia’s military intelligence agency, hacked the Democratic National Committee ahead of the 2016 presidential election, according to American and European intelligence agencies.

The F.B.I. has several recommendations for any owner of a small office or home office router. The simplest thing to do is reboot the device, which will temporarily disrupt the malware if it is present. Users are also advised to upgrade the device’s firmware and to select a new secure password. If any remote-management settings are in place, the F.B.I. suggests disabling them.

The complete article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/27/technology/router-fbi-reboot-malware.html

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:34 pm 

Plook wrote:

how on earth did lil' Scotty Dixon finish third?

I've got F1, Nascar and Indy to watch tonight.....

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:59 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:

how on earth did lil' Scotty Dixon finish third?

I've got F1, Nascar and Indy to watch tonight.....

Yeah, Indy and F1 Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:59 am 

That was a he'll of a race, Will deserved that win, vreat strategy...to bad for Ed Carpenter...one small decision and 2nd place, Indianapolis motor speedway is a cruel mistress...Alexander Rossi started 32nd and at one point near the end was in 2nd, on one restart be passed at least 7 or 8 cars, which included what appeared to be 4 wide on the turn at 215mph with what looked like just inches between his car and the wall and the car next to him, deffenitly gets the impossible drive of the day award... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:30 pm 

What about the F1 in Monaco, Dan (the Man) won the race leaving all in his wake (including the dickheads Vettel & Hamilton ha ha ha), even though for the last 20 laps he was 130Hp down - Legend :mrgreen:

https://www.4bc.com.au/aussie-daniel-ricciardo-wins-the-monaco-f1-grand-prix/

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:26 am 

The Stratford Festival's official opening night of its 2018 season has been cancelled and all its buildings evacuated after a bomb threat.

Are we weenies, or properly cautious?
1972 - Helen (a friend of mine) phoned in a bomb threat to Eastwood Collegiate, because she didn't want to go to school, that day. The school office ignored it, and suspended her for a couple of days.
2018 - Authorities get "a vague bomb threat", and shut down The Stratford Festival opening ceremony, sending 100's of well dressed people home.

https://www.cp24.com/news/stratford-fes ... -1.3949368

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:34 am 

^^^^^ weenies ^^^^^
Newshub reporter accidentally witnesses surfing history
Isobel Ewing
2 hrs ago
a group of people in the water© Provided by MediaWorks NZ Limited

On Sunday I had a front row seat to a spectacle of oceanic power and magnitude that I'll probably never witness again in my life.

And I did it completely by accident.

My brief holiday in Fiji happened to coincide with one of the biggest swells to hit the legendary surf spot Cloudbreak in more than six years.

It lured pros from all over the world. Kelly Slater, Ramon Navarro, Kai Lenny, Luke Shepardson, Evan Valiere and a multitude of others flew into Fiji, having watched the monster swell marching north.
© Provided by MediaWorks NZ Limited

The sky was grey and ominous, and we spent a lot of time wiping drops from our lenses as we were pelted with rain. Not quite the conditions for the glassy blue barrel photographs on surf mag covers but the wild conditions made it more exhilarating.

The set waves were between 15 and 20 feet - enough to earn the title "XXL" - surf lingo I've since learnt.

My boyfriend and I were on our dinghy sitting about 50m from where humans with no apparent sense of self-preservation were either being towed by jetskis or paddling into the monstrous waves.

Wooden boats powered by small outboard motors with fearless locals at the helm were terrifyingly close to the action, sitting in what's called "the channel", with professional surfers and photographers onboard.

At one point, we all got a bit close to the breaking wave and a sudden burst of acceleration from everyone was required to get over the rapidly steepening face.

The pros who surfed the house-sized waves are saying these were possibly the best of their lives.

I felt like a bit of an impostor, surrounded by big wave surfing royalty, without a clue who most of them were. My limited surfing credentials certainly didn't justify my presence.

On his Instagram, Kelly Slater said it was "an honour to be in the presence of an ocean doing this", and "this stuff is like people going to the moon... by tomorrow people will say it didn't happen".

Luckily, we have photos to prove it did.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/new ... ocid=ientp

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:09 am 

Families fear sickness may be linked to Salem water contamination

By Sarah Hurwitz
Published: May 30, 2018 at 11:06 PM PDT
SALEM, OR (KPTV) -
As Salem awaits its tap water test results, the city is facing criticism from many in the community over when it notified people of the toxic levels of blue-green algae.

Many families say they are concerned they got sick from the water, including the Smith family, who is on the tail end of their bout with some pretty tough stomach issues.
Smith says his kids became severely sick Friday, just days before the city put out a tap water advisory.

“There was some knowledge of it and that we were finding out about it after the holiday weekend,” Smith said.

Smith wants accountability from the city after he says he and his two sons came down with severe vomiting and diarrhea, symptoms consistent with exposure to toxins.

On Wednesday, Salem held a joint press conference with several agencies, saying it got test results back of toxic levels of blue-green algae in city water linked to Detroit Lake on Saturday–but it didn’t notify the public until Tuesday.

“It happened over a holiday weekend, we’re getting the results on Saturday and Sunday it is you know a difficult task to try to contact folks from any agency on Memorial Day weekend,” a spokeswoman said at the press conference.

But Smith says that’s not good enough when the community’s health is at risk, let alone his own kids, who were home from school for several days.

“So I’m really left at a spot where I just don’t know what to do," Smith said. "I don’t want my kids getting sick like that again cause’ it makes you feel like a helpless parent."

And while some families are dealing with potential symptoms from exposure, others are getting ready for the long haul, if needed–like Carolyn Ellis, with help from their neighbors in Keizer.

Ellis plans to spread the word to folks as neighboring communities pitch in during the advisory.

“I didn’t think it was that serious but then I got the phone call saying come on out and get some water because we don’t know how long it’s going to last," Ellis said. "I only have small bottled water at home you’re going to run out of that really fast."

Salem expects to get those tap water test results on Thursday from a lab in Texas. If the advisory continues, the city says it is working on logistics for fill stations.

Keizer’s station at Chalmers Jones Skate Park off Rickman Road will remain open 24-hours a day until there’s no longer an advisory.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kptv.com/story/38313702/families-fear-sickness-may-be-linked-to-salem-water-contamination

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:32 am 

Oregon official apologizes after cryptic emergency alert reading "Prepare for Action"
MAY 30, 2018 5:32 PM EDT U.S.

Within hours of the alert going out Tuesday night, some shelves at a supermarket in Salem were seen empty.
CBS affiliate KOIN
SALEM, Ore. -- The head of Oregon's emergency management agency has apologized after a cryptic emergency alert was forced out to cellphones Tuesday night in and around Oregon's capital city. The alert displayed the words "Civil Emergency" and "Prepare for Action," and included little other information.

Andrew Phelps said late Tuesday that a technical glitch had cut off crucial information: that the alert concerned elevated levels of a natural toxin in a local reservoir. Children and people with compromised immune systems have been told not to drink tap water in the Salem, Oregon, area, after an algae bloom caused the spike.

"The integrated public alert warning system inadvertently defaulted to a generic message," Phelps said in a video posted on social media by the Office of Emergency Management. "I apologize for the confusion and the anxiety this incomplete message has caused."

The incident marked a high-profile glitch in authorities' use of emergency alert systems, following a false alarm sent out by Hawaii officials in January warning of an incoming ballistic missile.

The systems are capable of pushing messages directly to every cellphone in a given area even if users haven't subscribed or downloaded an app. Phelps said the message had also been broadcast via local television stations.

The alert had been intended for Marion County residents, CBS affiliate KOIN reports. After it was sent, confused residents from multiple counties, including Marion, Benton, Deschutes and Clackamas County, took to social media to vent their concerns and worries.

There was also confusion within the emergency management agency, with a spokesperson telling reporters the message had caught them unawares and state police asking residents via a Facebook post not to call 911 about the alert.

Officials sent a second message 31 minutes later with more information and a link to a municipal website, which briefly crashed under the load.

Within hours of the alert going out Tuesday night, the aisles at one supermarket in the city's downtown center were stripped of bottled water, and a shopping cart lay tipped on its side in front of the empty shelves. Workers had brought out a pallet of sparkling water, which they placed at the front of the store, and told customers they hoped they'd get more regular water in the morning.

Wednesday morning Cole Mahaffey, a Salem resident, set down a case of bottled water he was carrying down the sidewalk and described the uneasy feeling of seeing the first alert arrive on his phone, with an ominous warning but no other information.

"It almost made me not want to go outside," Mahaffey said, adding that the alert caught him at the gym, and that he had interrupted his exercise routine to ask staff at the front desk if they knew what it was about. "I didn't know if there was something going on in the area, or if there was a shooter, you just had no way of knowing."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/oregon-emergency-alert-official-apologizes-salem-2018-05-30/

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:51 am 

Concerns about price gouging arise as Salem tap water advisory remains in effect

SALEM, Ore. – The Salem tap water advisory remains in effect Wednesday and some residents are going to desperate lengths to find bottled water. Those with a surplus are seizing the opportunity to make a profit.

KATU News has received reports of people selling bottled water for as much as $47.

Many people have started selling bottled water online as well, but they should be wary of the laws surrounding price gouging.
According to the Oregon Department of Justice website, “Price gouging refers to the dramatic price increases that follow an ‘abnormal disruption of the market,’ as declared by the governor.”

The proclamations usually come after unexpected natural disasters, but can be attributed to any event that affects Oregonians.

Following a natural disaster, or related event, Oregon law protects consumers from paying excessive prices for consumer goods and services.

“These include food, shelter, bottled water, fuel and other items necessary for the health, safety and welfare of Oregonians,” the Department of Justice website says.

However, there are some exceptions to price gouging.

Merchants and wholesalers are not allowed to increase their prices by more than 15 percent of the item’s value, even prior to the governor’s declaration.

Exceptions include:

Additional costs imposed by suppliers.
Added expenses for the business to procure the essential goods or services due to the emergency. For example, the supplies had to be airlifted into an otherwise inaccessible area.
Increased internal costs or expenses related to the declaration such as overtime pay, additional staff, security, distribution, etc.
Scheduled price or cost increases unrelated to the abnormal disruption of the market.

http://katu.com/news/local/concerns-about-price-gouging-arise-as-salem-tap-water-advisory-remains-in-effect
Quite the situation we have going on here...

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 am 

More scum of the earth...

A Louisiana TV evangelist is asking members of his congregation to donate $54million to pay for a new private jet which he claims God told him he needed in order to spread the gospel.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-preacher-says-god-told-him-he-needs-a-54m-private-jet-1.3953213

He does have good taste in business Jets. The Dassault (see just died thread) Falcon 7X is very luxurious.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:11 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:

More scum of the earth...

A Louisiana TV evangelist is asking members of his congregation to donate $54million to pay for a new private jet which he claims God told him he needed in order to spread the gospel.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-preacher-says-god-told-him-he-needs-a-54m-private-jet-1.3953213

He does have good taste in business Jets. The Dassault (see just died thread) Falcon 7X is very luxurious.

I have some water I'd be happy to donate to this jerk! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:46 am 

We have an election coming up on June 7.
There is a new ad campaign designed to get the younger citizens to vote.

initiative 'Just F'ing Vote' hopes to encourage millennials to head to the polls

http://www.570news.com/2018/05/31/brant ... the-polls/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:54 pm 

One week after GPDR implementation...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:29 am 

a story from BBP's neck of the woods

Eindhoven to build "world’s first" 3D-printed houses that people will live inside
Amy Frearson | 4 June 2018

Eindhoven University of Technology has announced plans to 3D print a series of concrete houses that will be made available to rent.

In what is being described as a world first, the Dutch university is set to build five 3D-printed houses over the next five years, which will all become rental properties.

"The project is the world's first commercial housing project based on 3D-concrete printing," said the university. "The houses will all be occupied, they will meet all modern comfort requirements, and they will be purchased and let out by a real estate company."

Project Milestone will be delivered in partnership with the city municipality, contractor Van Wijnen, real-estate firm Vesteda, materials manufacturer Saint Gobain-Weber Beamix and engineering company Witteveen+Bos.

The first house, expected to complete in 2019, will be a single-storey, three-bedroom bungalow. This will be followed by four multi-level homes on the site in Meerhoven, a new region of Eindhoven located west of the city centre, near the airport.

The residences will be produced one by one, to allow the team to learn from each build. To start with, elements will be printed at the university, but the aim is to eventually move all construction to the building site.

According to the team, the final house will be fully printed and assembled onsite.

Visuals released by Eindhoven University of Technology show properties that feature curved concrete walls, balcony recesses, and deep-set windows and doors.

"The design of the houses is based on erratic blocks in a green landscape," said the university. "The irregular shape of the buildings can be realised thanks to one of the key features of 3D-printing: the ability to construct almost any shape."

Numerous 3D-printed houses have been produced in recent years, as researchers continue to develop and refine the technology.

Early prototypes were created in China and Russia, but the Netherlands has also produced several, with examples including a micro house in Amsterdam by DUS Architects and a show home presented in Milan by Dutch 3D-printing company Cybe Construction.

Eindhoven, which is also home to the prestigious Design Academy Eindhoven, is hoping to position itself as a specialist for concrete 3D printing.

The Eindhoven University of Technology team, led by researcher Theo Salet, was also behind the world's first 3D-printed concrete bridge, built in late 2017.

"3D-printing of concrete is a potential game changer in the building industry," added Salet's team. "Besides the ability to construct almost any shape, it also enables architects to design very fine concrete structures."

"Another important advantage is sustainability, as much less concrete is needed and hence much less cement, which reduces the CO2 emissions originating from cement production," they added.

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/06/04/eindh ... te-houses/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:51 am 

^^^^^^^^^^
I want one!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:16 pm 

NY Attorneys General sues Trump Foundations for embezzling his own charity foundations...

And THIS! Inspector General at the DOJ has just said there was no political bias by Strozk and Page that affected their investigation.
http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/392260-doj-watchdog-does-not-fault-fbis-strzok-page-for-political-bias

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:12 am 

Migrant kids are 'child actors', claims Ann Coulter, telling Donald Trump not to be fooled
ELI ROSENBERG
Last updated 17:29, June 19 2018

AP
"Do not fall for it, Mr. President," said Ann Coulter as she accused migrant children who have been photographed in varying stages of distress as "child actors".

In the flourishing world of baseless conspiracy theories, this one, part hoax, part smear, has been having its moment.

The idea that people whose experiences speak to some of the consequences of government policies are not to be taken at face value and are actually crisis actors working for a nefarious purpose, has taken on particular prominence in the wake of mass shootings, such as those in Newtown, Connecticut, and Parkland, Florida.

Conservative commentator Ann Coulter became the latest figure to spread a similar claim on Sunday (local time), as a guest on a Fox News show, when she accused some of the migrant children who have been photographed in varying stages of distress as "child actors," in a bit of messaging she directed at President Donald Trump.

"These child actors weeping and crying on all the other networks 24/7 right now, do not fall for it, Mr. President," she said, staring directly into the camera. "I get very nervous about the president getting his news from TV."

The separation of children from their parents, the result of a new hard-line immigration enforcement practice rolled out by the Trump administration in recent months, has become a lightning-rod political issue, an emotional wedge that has bled across partisan lines in the midst of the national debate about immigration. Supporters of the president have defended the practice, blaming parents for bringing their children across the border and arguing that the children are well cared for once they are taken from their parents. The president has blamed Democrats, though the practice is the result of changes made by his appointees.

Though many Trump supporters have defended the practice, until now no high-profile figures had questioned the authenticity of the children's experiences.

Instead, more information about the separations - 2,300 children have been taken from their parents since the beginning of May, around the time the new "zero-tolerance" policy was rolled out - has trickled out in recent days, in the form of reporters' visits to the detention centers where the children are held, pictures and even leaked audio. A photograph by Getty Images' John Moore of a 2-year-old crying as her mother was patted down by a border agent before the two were separated ricocheted around the media-sphere over the weekend, becoming a stand-in for what some see as the abject cruelty of the new practice.

Moore, who has been photographing the border for 10 years after stints covering war zones overseas, told The Washington Post about how he took the photo, after watching a a group of migrants cross the border in boats before being apprehended by agents.

AP
In this photo provided by US Customs and Border Protection, people who've been taken into custody related to cases of illegal entry into the United States, sit in one of the cages at a facility in McAllen, Texas.

Coulter's remarks went unquestioned by Fox News host Steve Hilton, on whose show she appeared. He did try to move the conversation forward as a break in the show approached.

"I don't know if that's... " he said, trailing off as Coulter continued. "I told you we wouldn't get a word in," he said to the two other guests, Republican former congressman Jason Chaffetz and Fox News host Kimberly Guilfoyle.

But Coulter continued.

"These kids are being coached," she said. "They're given scripts to read by liberals. . . . Don't fall for the actor children."

She said her information was coming from New Yorker magazine, though it was not immediately clear which report she was referring to.

Over a series of emails with The Washington Post, Coulter did not provide evidence for her claim.

"If they were genuine asylees, they'd have stopped in Mexico," she said. "They'd go to Guatemala or Colombia. No, they're being marched to the U.S. as a political weapon."

In a statement provided by a Fox News spokeswoman, Hilton said: "I do not endorse her comments or anything else said by anyone other than myself."

- The Washington Post

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/ ... -be-fooled

Separate Ann Coulter from her microphone and call a doctor.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:21 am 

US announces it will leave UN human rights council
CAROL MORELLO
Last updated 12:04, June 20 2018

The Trump administration has withdrawn from the United Nations Human Rights Council in protest of what it perceives as an entrenched bias against Israel and a willingness to allow notorious human rights abusers as members.

UN Ambassador Nikki Haley, who has sought major changes on the council throughout her tenure, issued a blistering critique of the panel, saying it had grown more callous over the past year and become a "protector of human rights abusers, and a cesspool of political bias."

CRAIG RUTTLE/AP
American Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley says a call for reform has not been heeded.

She cited the admission of Congo as a member even as mass graves were being discovered there, and the failure to address human rights abuses in Venezuela and Iran.

"I want to make it crystal clear that this step is not a retreat from our human rights commitments," she said during a joint appearance with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo at the department.

"On the contrary. We take this step because our commitment does not allow us to remain a part of a hypocritical and self-serving organisation that makes a mockery of human rights."

Haley accused governments with woeful human rights records of seeking a seat on the council to avoid scrutiny and then resisting proposals for reform.

"When we made it clear we would strongly pursue Council reform, these countries came out of the woodwork to oppose it," she said. "Russia, China, Cuba, and Egypt all attempted to undermine our reform efforts this past year."

The decision to leave the 47-nation body was more definitive than the lesser option of staying on as a nonvoting observer.

It represents another retreat by the Trump administration from international groups and agreements whose policies it deems out of sync with American interests on trade, defence, climate change and, now, human rights. And it leaves the council without the United States playing a key role in promoting human rights around the world.

The United States is midway through a three-year term on the council, whose purpose is to denounce and investigate human rights abuses.

A US departure deprives Israel of its chief defender at a forum where Israel's human rights record comes up for discussion at every single meeting, a standing "Item 7" on the agenda.

"By withdrawing from the council, we lose our leverage and allow the council's bad actors to follow their worst impulses unchecked - including running roughshod over Israel," said Eliot Engel, the top Democrat on the House committee that oversees the State Department.

"However, this Administration's approach when it sees a problem is to take the United States off the field," he added. "That undermines our standing in the world and allows our adversaries to fill the void."

But Pompeo was scathing in his assessment of the council, calling it an "exercise in shameless hypocrisy, with many of the world's worst human rights abuses going ignored, and some of the world's most serious offenders sitting on the council itself."

"The only thing worse than a council that does almost nothing to protect human rights is a council that covers for human rights abuses, and is therefore an obstacle to progress and an impediment to change," he said.

The decision comes a day after the UN human rights chief slammed the administration's policy of separating migrant parents from their children after they enter the United States at the Mexican border, calling it "unconscionable" and akin to child abuse.

This is the first time since the Human Rights Council was formed in 2006, replacing the disbanded Human Rights Commission, that a sitting member volunteered to step aside, though Libya was suspended in 2011 after a government crackdown on unarmed protesters.

The United States initially shunned the panel over President George W Bush's concerns that so many human rights offenders could be seated through noncompetitive elections for members nominated by their regional colleagues.

The Obama administration sought a seat only in 2009 in an effort to showcase how human rights were an important aspect of US foreign policy.

Before the United States joined, half the country-specific votes condemned Israel.

During the first six years the United States was a member, resolutions critical of Israel dropped to one-fifth. US membership also led to a sharp decrease in the number of special sessions that focused exclusively on Israel's treatment of the Palestinians.

"It's true, the Human Rights Council continues to disproportionately focus on Israel," said Peter Yeo, an official with the United Nations Foundation that connects the organisation with private and nongovernmental groups and foundations.

"But with US leadership, the attention Israel brought has dropped significantly. US leadership matters. We're still the only ones with credibility on human rights on the world stage."

The Trump administration's irritation with the council makeup and its agenda has been telegraphed with drumbeat regularity by Haley.

A year ago, she denigrated it as a "forum for politics, hypocrisy and evasion," and threatened a US exit if the council did not kick out abusive regimes and remove Item 7, the standing resolution critical of Israel's treatment of Palestinians.

She repeated her ultimatum two weeks ago.

Few dispute the underlying reasons for the administration's frustration with the council.

Since 2006, the Human Rights Council has passed more than 70 resolutions critical of Israel, 10 times as often as it has criticised Iran. On one day alone in March, the council passed five resolutions condemning Israel.

The council's current membership includes 14 countries that are ranked as "not free" by Freedom House: Afghanistan, Angola, Burundi, China, Cuba, Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Iraq, Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Venezuela.

Haley said many countries agree with US accusations of anti-Israel bias on the council and hypocrisy by abusers, but apparently lacked the courage to openly challenge the status quo.

"We gave them opportunity after opportunity, and many months of consultations, and yet they would not take a stand unless it was behind closed doors," she said.

"Some even admitted they were fine with the blatant flaws of the Council, as long as they could pursue their own narrow agenda within the current structure. "

Bret Schaefer, a Heritage Foundation scholar who analyses UN actions, called the withdrawal a "measured" response.

"The Trump administration seems to be the only government that seriously wanted the Human Rights Council to promote universal respect and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms in a fair and equal manner," he said.

But some questioned whether a US withdrawal will lead to reforms, or further undermine the council's mission.

"The Trump administration's withdrawal is a sad reflection of its one-dimensional human rights policy: defending Israeli abuses from criticism takes precedence above all else," said Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch.

"The UN Human Rights Council has played an important role in such countries as North Korea, Syria, Myanmar and South Sudan, but all Trump seems to care about is defending Israel."

- The Washington Post

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/ ... ts-council

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:34 am 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2018/music/news/ray-davies-says-the-kinks-are-getting-back-together-1202858088/amp/

Kinks reunite! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 854, 855, 856, 857, 858, 859, 860, 861  Next