Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21079 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 840, 841, 842, 843, 844  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:43 pm 

^^Agree. Trump’s base are a classic example of a cult. Criticisms don’t even register.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:53 pm 

Multiple people killed in shooting at Texas church.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:42 pm 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Paradise Papers: Tax haven secrets of ultra-rich exposed

A huge new leak of financial documents has revealed how the powerful and ultra-wealthy, including the Queen's private estate, secretly invest vast amounts of cash in offshore tax havens.

Donald Trump's commerce secretary is shown to have a stake in a firm dealing with Russians sanctioned by the US.

The leak, dubbed the Paradise Papers, contains 13.4m documents, mostly from one leading firm in offshore finance.

BBC Panorama is part of nearly 100 media groups investigating the papers.

As with last year's Panama Papers leak, the documents were obtained by the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung, which called in the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) to oversee the investigation. The Guardian is among the nearly 100 media partners involved in investigating the documents.

Follow the latest reaction here

Sunday's revelations form only a small part of a week of disclosures that will expose the tax and financial affairs of some of the hundreds of people and companies named in the data, some with strong UK connections.

Many of the stories focus on how politicians, multinationals, celebrities and high-net-worth individuals use complex structures of trusts, foundations and shell companies to protect their cash from tax officials or hide their dealings behind a veil of secrecy.

The vast majority of the transactions involve no legal wrongdoing.

Other key stories being released on Sunday are:

A key aide of Canada's PM has been linked to offshore schemes that may have cost the nation millions of dollars in taxes, threatening to embarrass Justin Trudeau, who has campaigned to shut tax havens. Read the full story here
Lord Ashcroft, a former Conservative party deputy chairman and a significant donor, may have ignored rules around how his offshore investments were managed. Read the full story here Other papers suggest he retained his non-dom status while in the House of Lords, despite reports he had become a permanent tax resident in the UK. Read the full story here
How questions were raised about the funding of a major shareholding in Everton FC. Read the full story here

The other media partners may be covering different stories affecting their regions.
How is the Queen involved?

The Paradise Papers show that about £10m ($13m) of the Queen's private money was invested offshore.

It was put into funds in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda by the Duchy of Lancaster, which provides the Queen with an income and handles investments for her £500m private estate.

There is nothing illegal in the investments and no suggestion that the Queen is avoiding tax, but questions may be asked about whether the monarch should be investing offshore.

There were small investments in the rent-to-buy retailer BrightHouse, which has been accused of exploiting the poor, and the Threshers chain of off-licences, which later went bust owing £17.5m in tax and costing almost 6,000 people their jobs.

The Duchy said it was not involved in decisions made by funds and there is no suggestion the Queen had any knowledge of the specific investments made on her behalf.

The Duchy has in the past said it gives "ongoing consideration regarding any of its acts or omissions that could adversely impact the reputation" of the Queen, who it says takes "a keen interest" in the estate. Read the full story here
Embarrassment for Ross and Trump?

Wilbur Ross helped stave off bankruptcy for Donald Trump in the 1990s and was later appointed commerce secretary in Mr Trump's administration.

MORE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:29 pm 

Eddie RUKidding wrote:
^But there is no collussion, like you know being in bed with the reds and stuff its all fake news.......... untill you get caugth with your pants down and covered in piss or Vodka stained yellow snow!

This is different, he lied at the Senate Confirmation hearing about it and hired a company that uses shell companies to disguise his holdings...there is more than simply Russia helped trump get elected, this is a scheme as all of trump and Putin's dealings...there is a big time money theft getting ready to happen and it must be huge because people are lying about it and their part in it...the incentive must be huge for so many to risk prison.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:00 pm 

What astounds me about the left, is that despite Hillary's Russia collusion (the Uranium One deal & the Trump dossier contributions, not to mention the DNC's corruption amid Donna Brazile's statements, and of course, Whitewater & Benghazi, etc.) and all of these ongoing investigations, Trump is apparently the ONLY one that is NOT corrupt. And yet the left act like the above isn't even happening...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:15 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
What astounds me about the left, is that despite Hillary's Russia collusion (the Uranium One deal & the Trump dossier contributions, not to mention the DNC's corruption amid Donna Brazile's statements, and of course, Whitewater & Benghazi, etc.) and all of these ongoing investigations, Trump is apparently the ONLY one that is NOT corrupt. And yet the left act like the above isn't even happening...

Like, totally. Fer sure. The Left. Right. The Party Line. Totally. But, like, dude, check this out!...One of those political cartoons...

Obama: you can take yer thumb out of my ass anytime now, Bono
Bono: you're using lines from Animal House now?

Last edited by downer mydnyte on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:34 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Multiple people killed in shooting at Texas church.

(shrug) Oh well, nothing we can do.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:13 pm 

US [Less-Evil] Airstrikes Kill at Least 14 Civilians in North Afghanistan

The US has promised an investigation into a Sunday flurry of airstrikes against Northern Afghanistan’s Kunduz Province. The strikes killed at least 14 civilians, including four children, and wounded 13 others.

FULL STORY HERE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:10 am 

Was Donald Trump the secret force behind the seemingly grassroots 2014 campaign to block Jon Bon Jovi from buying the NFL's Buffalo Bills?

That's what organizers are saying now, three years after the billionaire and the rocker were competing to buy the Bills.

Buffalo PR consultant Michael Caputo says Trump asked him to launch a fan campaign called 12th Man Thunder that organized a petition drive to keep the team in Buffalo and fanned existing speculation that Bon Jovi intended to move the team to Canada.

Trump's company did not comment on the claim, which was reported last month by GQ magazine.

In the end, neither Trump nor Bon Jovi got the team. It instead went to Buffalo Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula.
Image..... Image..........

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 pm 

Wouldn't you know it? Trump is involved, and it's about seizing oil for.....wait for it..............................Russia...

The Saudi crown prince just made a very risky power play

Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman says he’s cracking down on corruption. But the sweeping arrests of cabinet ministers and senior princes Saturday night looked to many astonished Arab observers like a bold but risky consolidation of power.

MBS, as the headstrong 32-year-old ruler is known, struck at some of the kingdom’s most prominent business and political names in a new bid to gain political control and drive change in the oil kingdom....

MBS is emboldened by strong support from President Trump and his inner circle, who see him as a kindred disrupter of the status quo — at once a wealthy tycoon and a populist insurgent. It was probably no accident that last month, Jared Kushner, Trump’s senior adviser and son-in-law, made a personal visit to Riyadh. The two princes are said to have stayed up until nearly 4 a.m. several nights, swapping stories and planning strategy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... fedb25ca7b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:57 pm 

Radioactive cloud 'could have come from Russia'
HENRY SAMUEL
Last updated 11:28, November 11 2017

DENIS SINYAKOV/REUTERS

A cemetery in the village of Muslyumovo. The village is located on the banks of the Techa river in Russia's Urals, one of the country's most lethal nuclear dumping grounds.

A cloud of radioactive pollution spread over Europe after a possible "accident" at a nuclear facility in Russia or Kazakhstan, French nuclear safety officials confirmed.

France's nuclear safety institute, IRSN, picked up faint traces of ruthenium 106, a radioactive nuclide that is produced when atoms are split in a nuclear reactor and which does not occur naturally, in three of its 40 monitoring stations in late September.

Faint traces were also detected in Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland.

There has been no impact on human health or the environment in Europe, a French official stressed, but he added that detection of such a cloud was "absolutely not normal".

IRSN, the technical arm of French nuclear regulator, said it could not pinpoint the location of the release of radioactive material but that based on weather patterns, the most plausible zone lay south of the Ural mountains, between the Urals and the Volga river.

This could indicate Russia or possibly Kazakhstan, it said, adding that if an accident of this magnitude had happened in France it would have required the evacuation or sheltering of people in a radius of "a few kilometres around the accident site".

But it said that the probability of importation into France of foodstuffs, notably mushrooms, contaminated by ruthenium 106 near the site of the accident was extremely low.

Measurements from European stations showed high levels of ruthenium 106 in the atmosphere of the majority of European countries at the beginning of October, with a steady decrease from October 6.

France picked up traces of the pollution in monitoring stations of Seyne-sur-Mer, Nice and Ajaccio from Sept 27 to October 13, and has not detected any since.

Gariel said that, according to "the data at our disposal, no ruthenium 106 was detected in the UK".

Duncan Cox, leader of Public Health England's radiation emergency response group, said: "Radiation monitors at our sites in Oxfordshire and Glasgow have been checked since September when this substance was reported by other European radiation monitoring institutes, and we have not detected any unusual sources of radiation."

IRSN ruled out an accident in a nuclear reactor. "We observed only ruthenium, which indicates it couldn't come from a nuclear reactor as we would have seen other fission products, like Caesium," said Jean-Christophe Gariel, director for health at the IRSN.

The ruthenium 106 was probably released in a nuclear fuel treatment site or centre for radioactive medicine, he said.

Because of its short half-life of about a year, ruthenium 106 is used in nuclear medicine.

He had contacted his Russian colleagues, and they insisted nothing was amiss. "From their point of view, they said they had had no problems at all."

Rosatom, the Russian nuclear operator, said it had detected nothing.

- The Telegraph, London

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/98 ... rom-russia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:40 pm 

That's what you get when stuff is unregulated... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 am 

American research of 20,000 heart attack cases shows that, of all heart attacks that take place in the open, only 39% of women gets reanimated, as opposed to 45% of men.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:09 am 

from the "what is wrong with people" file

UK man leaves 'monstrous' note telling ambulance not to block his driveway
Last updated 09:56, November 14 2017

In a rush of blood, Birmingham's Hassan Shabbir penned a "monstrous" note.

As UK paramedics fought hard to try to save the life of his neighbour, who later died in hospital, all Shabbir could think about was the fact that he was late and that the ambulance was blocking him getting out of his driveway.

"You may be saving lives, but don't park your van in a stupid place and block my drive," Shabbir, 27, wrote on a piece of paper which he then placed on the ambulance's windscreen.

TASHA STARKEY/TWITTER
"You may be saving lives, but don't park your van in a stupid place and block my drive," read the note on the ambulance.

Furious paramedic Tasha Starkey, who was at the scene, decided to post a photo of the note on social media.

The ambulance had been forced to double park outside Shabbir's driveway, three doors down from a drug rehab centre.

There was no other option, Starkey said.

Paramedics had then battled for an hour and a half trying to save a 42-year-old man at the centre who had "massive internal bleeding".

After three days of scathing criticism on social media, Shabbir, a teaching assistant, told the Daily Mail his behaviour was "monstrous" and he was "disgusted with myself".

"I just snapped and had a rush of blood to the head. I scribbled the note, rushed out and put it on the windscreen. There is no excuse for what I did. It was very bad.

"I knew it was wrong before a friend told me what had happened to the man in it. But parking here is very bad, and I've been blocked in before."

Shabbir said he had been waiting 20 minutes before he snapped.

"What I did was monstrous, but I am not a monster. There is no justification for what I did."

- Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/98 ... s-driveway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:20 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... xit-tweets

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:30 am 

Looks like Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe is on the way out, which will be a relief. He is 93 and was planning to go on past 100...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41997982

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 am 

PEOPLE picks 2017 "Sexiest Man Alive" :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:41 am 

No.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:44 am 

He looks a bit like David Brent from "The Office"...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 am 

Caputh wrote:
Looks like Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe is on the way out, which will be a relief. He is 93 and was planning to go on past 100...

Yep! and about fucking time! I hope they keep his smutty wife out of the country also. That country should be on the same economic scale as Belgium.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Caputh wrote:

Yep! and about fucking time! I hope they keep his smutty wife out of the country also. That country should be on the same economic scale as Belgium.

I wish he'd hurry up and go. He attended a graduation ceremony at a university yesterday and managed to fall asleep during the ceremony.

It's not the first time, either...

Last edited by Caputh on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 pm 

Steve Benson

Jack Ohman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:52 pm 

100 full moons: Blazing fireball lights up Arctic sky
JAN M. OLSEN
Last updated 09:19, November 19 2017

TWITTER

A video still from northern Finland shows the night sky brilliantly illuminated as the meteoroid plummeted to earth.

A blazing fireball lit up the dark skies of Arctic Finland for five seconds, giving off what scientists describe as "the glow of 100 full moons" and igniting hurried attempts to find the reported meteorite.

Finnish experts were scrambling to calculate its trajectory and find where it landed, according to Tomas Kohout of the University of Helsinki's physics department, who said Thursday night's (Friday NZ time) fireball "seems to have been one of the brightest ones".

LINKEDIN

Meteoroids are small and often vaporise when they enter the Earth's atmosphere. A meteor is a flash of light caused by a meteoroid that fails to get through the Earth's atmosphere. If part of it does survive, that's called a meteorite.

It produced a blast wave that felt like an explosion about 6.40pm and could also be seen in northern Norway and in Russia's Kola peninsula, he said on Saturday.

It might have weighed about 100 kilograms, according to Nikolai Kruglikov of Yekaterinburg's Urals Federal University.

DAILY TELEGRAPH

In 2013, a meteorite streaked across the Russian sky and exploded over the Ural Mountains with the power of an atomic bomb, its sonic blasts damaging buildings and injuring about 1100 people.

We believe it didn't disintegrate but reached a remote corner of Finland," Kohout said, adding that any search plans for the meteorite must face the fact that "right now we don't have much daylight" – four hours, to be precise.

The Norwegian meteorite network said the fireball "had the glow of 100 full moons" and likely was going north-east, perhaps "to the Norwegian peninsula of Varanger", north of where the borders of Russia, Finland and Norway meet.

Kohout said scientists looked forward to any space debris they could get their hands on.

"We are happy to recover [it] since this is a unique opportunity to get otherwise inaccessible space material," Kohout said. "This is why it's worth it to search for them."

Viktor Troshenkov of the Russian Academy of Sciences told the Tass news agency that the fireball could be part of a prolific meteor shower known as the Leonids, which peaks at this time of year. He said he felt Thursday's fireball likely wasn't the sole meteorite but others may not have been seen due to thick clouds elsewhere.

Troshenkov told Tass that meteor showers can be even stronger. The Leonids reach their maximum once every 33 years – and the last time that happened was in 1998, he said. Amateur astronomers in the Arctic then saw about 1000 meteors, 40 meteorites and one fireball in just one night.

In 2013, a meteorite streaked across the Russian sky and exploded over the Ural Mountains with the power of an atomic bomb, its sonic blasts shattering countless windows and injuring about 1100 people. Many were cut by flying glass as they flocked to windows, curious about what had produced such a blinding flash of light.

The 2013 Chelyabinsk meteorite was estimated to be about 10 tons when it entered the Earth's atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of at least 54,000kmh. It shattered into pieces about 30-50 kilometres above the ground, but some meteorite chunks were found in a Russian lake.

Meteoroids are smaller than a metre around, and are often so small that they vaporise when they enter the Earth's atmosphere and never reach the ground. A meteor is a flash of light caused by a meteoroid that fails to get through the Earth's atmosphere. If part of it does survive, that's called a meteorite.

Asteroids are generally larger chunks of rock that come from the asteroid belt located between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.

- AP

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/990 ... arctic-sky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:06 pm 

Another Young is gone, this time Malcolm, first George and now Malcolm only Angus left.

RIP Malcolm

https://youtu.be/WHtWs4wiFCs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:59 am 

Mugabe resigns.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21079 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 840, 841, 842, 843, 844  Next