Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:02 pm 

2.1 2.1 2.1 2.1 :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:56 pm 

2-5 for France against Switzerland... hmmm... 6-2 right after the final whistle...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:47 am 

Meanwhile, in Brazil:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:37 am 

Yesterday I went to a new dentist. Their waiting room had a flat screen playing the world cup. Mexico scored three times in 15 minutes while I filled out the forms, then I had my teeth cleaned. You can watch hours of the world cup and never see a goal scored. I got lucky.

Go USA!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:09 pm 

Well, one can look at your avatar and not score either - without going to the dentist, too :wink:

Actually, as somebody who is actually betting on the WC with friends a goalless draw will not get you very far in this World Cup...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:57 pm 

BBP wrote:
To reach the quarter finals: Brazil, Mexico, Spain, Chile, Greece, Japan, Uruguay, Italy, France, Ecuador, Argentina, Nigeria, Germany, Portugal, Russia, South Korea.

9/16... little better than chance.

Congratulations Belgium! 9 points out of 3 matches for such a small football country; thumbs up!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:36 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:01 am 

TV antennae? Who still has those on his roof?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxUGytYdHyg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:03 pm 

Embarrassing performance from the ref in another Brazil game in favour of Brazil... that was a red, that attack by the goalie. That was not a justified free kick that led to the 2-0. Combined with the next championships in Russia and Qatar, this institute is now a laughing stock. :x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:12 pm 

8)

Post subject: Re: germany beat france
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:26 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
8)
congratulations, fritz. 8)

Post subject: Re: germany beat france
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:45 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
8)
congratulations, fritz. 8)

Thanks, Lumpy. It's hard to be a football fan.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:57 pm 

BBP wrote:
Embarrassing performance from the ref in another Brazil game in favour of Brazil... that was a red, that attack by the goalie. That was not a justified free kick that led to the 2-0. Combined with the next championships in Russia and Qatar, this institute is now a laughing stock. :x

You must be kidding me. Embarrassing performance causing great loss to Brazil! The guy broke Neymar's back and was not even warned! This Brazil favouring story sounds like an excuse to me. I concede it should have been a red to Júlio César, but Thiago Silva should not have gotten an yellow card. The free kick goal was legitimate...

Juan Zuniga apologises for Neymar injury

Juan Zuniga has apologised to Neymar after the Brazil striker was ruled out of the World Cup following the Colombia defender's challenge.

Neymar, 22, broke a vertebra in his spine during his side's 2-1 quarter-final victory over Colombia on Friday.

Zuniga insists he did not mean to hurt Neymar in the incident, which Fifa's disciplinary committee is studying.

"I deeply regret the sad injury that Neymar suffered during the match between Brazil and Colombia," he said.

"Although I feel that these situations are a normal part of the game, there was no intent to injure, malice nor negligence on my part.

"I want to reach out to Neymar, who I admire, respect and consider one of the best players in the world.

"I hope you recover quickly and return to the game soon, so we can all support a sport full of the virtues and qualities that I've tried to follow in my 12 years as a professional player."

Neymar was replaced in the 88th minute of Friday's game in Fortaleza after Zuniga challenged him for a header, with referee Carlos Velasco Carballo taking no action.

And Brazil legend Ronaldo says Zuniga intended to hurt Neymar.

"We could see on TV there was intention by the Colombia player to actually cause some harm," said Ronaldo.

"I didn't like that very high knee so that leads me to believe it was a foul with intention to actually cause harm.

"I thought it was a highly violent and unlawful move by the Colombia player. We are fearful and sad for the loss of our player."

Ronaldo, a World Cup winner in 1994 and 2002 who retired in 2011, was speaking at Fifa's daily news conference.

The 37-year-old, who is on the organising committee of Brazil 2014, added: "I don't think it was normal football play. I do believe it was aggressive.

"I don't know whether he had planned this beforehand but I do believe it was very aggressive, very violent."

Barcelona forward Neymar scored four goals in his five World Cup appearances for Brazil, who face Germany in Tuesday's semi-final.

Brazil president Dilma Rousseff has written to the home nation's squad expressing his sadness at Neymar's injury.

She said: "Once again, you have shown talent, determination, fighting spirit and the ability to rise above challenges, which will help make up for the major loss caused by the injury of our dear Neymar.

"All of Brazil already feels victorious, both because we are hosting the Cup of Cups and because we have the most beautiful, unwavering team of all."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28178753

Big loss, but we stil can make it without him...

On another note, it was a clever movement by Holland's coach, to switch goalies in the penalty shoot out against Costa Rica... Nice and effective strategy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:32 am 

You can't win, can you? Football is made of ref decisions who only have a few seconds and their own eyes to rely on, and it's the winning team that gets the full storm over it, never the losing team. Mexico's player causes a foul upon Robben that's so bad that the Mexican breaks his leg, and it's within the penalty area so that should've been a penalty for Netherlands? Orange wins, so nobody cares. Robben admits (and apologizes for it) he fell a bit too easily once in the first half? Shitstorm pulls that into an unjust penalty leading to the 2-1.

Anyway, I found Brazil - Colombia very unpleasant to watch, the violence was the reason, and I think it was caused by bad referee. Brazil profited in the end but it could've gone either way with the reffing. If Brazil or Mexico or Colombia wins the Fair Play-award, I'd be very disappointed. And I keep my fingers crossed for no repeat of the 2010 finals and the 2006 Orange-Portugal match because it's really embarrassing when the team you root for is behaving in such a way. Fortunately though Boulahrouz is not in the team this time, and Nigel de Jong is out with injury and won't be playing anymore, so the play might be a little more peaceful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:41 am 

Just did the ING predictions and set Brazil-Germany to 2-1 and Netherlands-Argentina to 0-6.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:19 am 

If a match is violent, the referee is all to blame. If he had warned the players and started to give away yellow cards in the first half the level of violence would not mount as it did. If the players hit and don't get punished they are likely to do it again or do it worse...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:09 am 

I remember in 2006 the referee was very strict, which lead to a bit of a brawl. In the end he dealt out 16 yellow cards and 4 reds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nuremberg_(association_football) I think the accumulated yellows were a major catalyst in Portugal not making it through the semi-finals that year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:27 am 

Some scientists, or whatever passes for that these days, have found that shirt sponsors in the final match are almost always two different sponsors, and that there's always one ADIDAS team in the final. Since Brazil and Netherlands are sponsored by Nike and Germany and Argentina by ADIDAS, this theory predicts that the final match will be either Netherlands-Germany or Brazil-Argentina. Will thye be right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:01 am 

There is a 25% chance of that happening simply by chance. Brazil and Argentina would be nice, given Brazil wins : )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:06 am 

Cute. ^_^ I love how all the letters are "in the wall".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:56 am 

See you in the field, Fritz 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:28 pm 

BBP wrote:
Just did the ING predictions and set Brazil-Germany to 2-1 and Netherlands-Argentina to 0-6.

It's now 25 minutes in and 4-0 for Germany... Either the Chinese gambling mafia is at it again or Brazil is trying the "basket" defense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:48 pm 

Who ever said that football is a game with low scores?

:cry:

What a humiliation... I guess that is it for us.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:18 pm 

Perhaps San Marino would be interested in some of the Brazilian defence? :wink: Bastards - I tipped Brazil to win 2-nil.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:50 pm 

Germany 7 - Brasil 1
wow

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next