Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:52 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Huck_Phlem wrote:
Soccer is boring period! So is basketball.

Boring as opposed to Baseball? To US "Football" (a game played mainly with the hands)? No offence, for the fans of these sports, 'each monkey on it's own branch'. But a bit of a paradox rises when you take into account that, by far, true Football is the most popular sport on Earth, transcending boundaries, religions, social classes and more...

Indeed. And this is a World Cup that actually has participants from the whole world (in contrast to many of the bogus "World Championships" or "World Series" that are really just national championships).

But soccer will probably never catch on in the US. I mean, it takes up to 45 minutes of uninterrupted attention towards the TV. That is probably way too demanding :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:04 am 

I think the US team has been only heating up since 1994 and has been honourable adversaries... I hope Brazil 2014 brings more diverse results for the second phaze... Except for Brazil being in the final and winning this time, scaring away the ghost of 1950 for good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Rph3ZVKo0

2010 World cup best moments (turn the volume off, and add some Zappa on the top, instead:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:54 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
Soccer is boring period!
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
To US "Football" (a game played mainly with the hands)? No offence, for the fans of these sports, 'each monkey on it's own branch'. But a bit of a paradox rises when you take into account that, by far, true Football is the most popular sport on Earth, transcending boundaries, religions, social classes and more...
yes, mr. green genes, I actually agree with you (for once); u.s. "football" sucks. it's ridiculous. :mrgreen:

about the world cup final, though; I'm disappointed that spain won.
they didn't score more than 8 goals in 7 games, so, ok, I guess you have to congratulate them on their defense tactics...
(and, hey, they even lost against switzerland...)

and, sure, the netherlands played rough, but, I think they kept it within the boundaries.
I'm not saying the netherlands should have won. it was just a boring, disappointing final.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:29 pm 

Also: Spain played rough too. It doesn't show in the cards though: Puyol could've scored two reds, instead he got one yellow.
It was very disappointing, but at least it's no Battle of Nuremberg (Neth - Portugal WC 2006 with 16 yellow and 4 red cards). I'm also surprised to see a fine and gentle player like Van Bommel get the end of the leash in foreign press while Boularouz is obviously a lot worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 am 

Celebrats in Iceland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvFokICv ... r_embedded

de lol ooh wo?

o-hah, some more

Danish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnYZzKWusJY

or de Dutch van Nistelrooy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H9pTgQY ... re=related
in the 89th min.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:33 pm 

World Cup 2014: Brazil seen from above

2 June 2014 Last updated at 00:04 BST

Final preparations are being made for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil which starts next week.

Ahead of the games, BBC News has been finding out more about the country, and not just from the street.

The BBC hexacopter took to the sky to see what Brazil looks like from above.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-27635908

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:41 am 

Bets on possible winners anybody?
My secret tip (and I may be really wrong) is Uruguay, mainly because of Luis Suarez. I have been watching him score amazing goals all season for Liverpool and he appears to have stopped biting people as well. Though he does sometimes fall over a bit too much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:49 am 

Brazil will win, I guess. It's one of the best football countries in general and they're playing in home country, so all the players are acclimatised already. I doubt the Dutchies will go far; some of our more prominent players are injured and the climate differences may take toll. Nor do I have much confidence in Van Gaal's capacities as football coach.
So, to win: Brazil.
To reach the quarter finals: Brazil, Mexico, Spain, Chile, Greece, Japan, Uruguay, Italy, France, Ecuador, Argentina, Nigeria, Germany, Portugal, Russia, South Korea.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:54 am 

South Korea are your dark horse, then? :wink:
Germany are crappier than usual at the moment (2-2 against Cameroon yesterday). Still, you're probably right; they'll still fumble their way through to the semi-finals with their usual luck. All my friends here endlessly repeat "Germany is a tournament team!" England? You're right: no chance!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:19 am 

Belgium and spain most of the way,
Brazil and the argies most of the way,
Uruguay to win.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:38 am 

deuce wrote:
Uruguay to win.

You've been watching Suarez as well?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:20 am 

Caputh wrote:
deuce wrote:
Uruguay to win.

You've been watching Suarez as well?

That would be a disaster...

Uruguay v Brazil (1950 FIFA World Cup)

Uruguay vs Brazil was the decisive match of the final group stage at the 1950 FIFA World Cup. The match was played at the Estádio do Maracanã in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on 16 July 1950. Unlike other World Cups, the 1950 winner was determined by a final group stage, with the final four teams playing in round-robin format, instead of a knockout stage. With Brazil one point ahead of Uruguay going into the match, Uruguay needed a win while Brazil needed only to avoid defeat to claim the title of world champions.

Brazil took the lead shortly after half-time through Friaça, but Juan Alberto Schiaffino equalised for Uruguay mid-way through the half before Alcides Ghiggia hit the winning goal with just 11 minutes remaining in the match. The result is considered to be one of the biggest upsets in football history,[1] and the term Maracanazo (Portuguese: Maracanaço, pronounced [maɾakɐˈnasu], roughly translated as "The Maracanã Blow") first became synonymous with the match.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay_v_Brazil_%281950_FIFA_World_Cup%29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:17 am 

You think history might repeat itself, Mr GG? :wink:
I've nothing against the Brazilian team - I just hate it when European commentators praise them along the lines of "The magical Brazilian ball skill" when the score is 0-0, the game is tedious and a number of the players of both sides have repeatedly fallen over for no apparent reason. I will be watching my World Cup with the sound turned off!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:52 am 

Hope not, Caputh.

Loved this:
John Oliver (HBO): FIFA and the World Cup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

John Oliver's excitement for the World Cup is tempered by knowing information about FIFA, the organization that produces it. John details the problems with the upcoming tournament and the staggering allegations of corruption against FIFA.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:01 am 

The 2014 World Cup in numbers

The 2014 Fifa World Cup kicks off in Sao Paulo on Thursday when hosts Brazil face Croatia.

Peter Okwoche takes us through some of the facts and figures featuring in this tournament, including records that might be broken:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-27735741

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:29 am 

Looking forward to it, Mr GG! Although I wish somebody could do something about Sepp Blatter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:46 pm 

Now there's a lot of reasons why I didn't think NL would stand any competition - with Van Gaal as trainer and many veterans unfit to play... I predicted 2-0 for Spain in today's match against Holland, and it's 1-5. And that action by Robben leading to the fifth goal was beautiful, can't say otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:58 pm 

Oh, and those temporary paint sprays to denote locations for the ball and the wall - brilliant invention.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:00 pm 

BBP wrote:
Now there's a lot of reasons why I didn't think NL would stand any competition - with Van Gaal as trainer and many veterans unfit to play... I predicted 2-0 for Spain in today's match against Holland, and it's 1-5. And that action by Robben leading to the fifth goal was beautiful, can't say otherwise.
congratulations on the victory! I have always liked the way the netherlands play soccer. fast and never boring. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:15 am 

BBP wrote:

Hey; I tipped 2-0 for Spain, too and was very glad that I lost! For too long, Spain's tedious form of football with the occasional "wonder goal" has been too successful.

@Mr GG: What did you think of Brazil's game against Croatia? I thought the were very lucky. Particularly when the Croatians came over the wings the Brazilians looked as though they hadn't realized that this particular part of the pitch existed. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:52 am 

Was amused by finding out the ref's name is Nishimura. Maybe it wasn't Yuichi, but Tooru on the field.
There's always a few games where the referee plays a too large part in the end results - let's be glad that in this case it was the opening game, not the finale, like in 2010.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:13 am 

BBP wrote:

What a massacre...

On another, less alienated note:

Richard Quest speaks to Interpol's Ronald Noble about their efforts to crack down on illegal World Cup betting [and game results fixing].

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/sports/2014/06/13/qmb-world-cup-interpol-betting-ronald-noble-intv.cnn

or

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/sports/2014/06/13/qmb-world-cup-interpol-betting-ronald-noble-intv.cnn.html

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Caputh wrote:
@Mr GG: What did you think of Brazil's game against Croatia? I thought the were very lucky. Particularly when the Croatians came over the wings the Brazilians looked as though they hadn't realized that this particular part of the pitch existed. :wink:

I saw a very predictable Brazil game: poor defense and strong attack. Even if the penalty was incorrectly pointed by the referee, it was still 3 to 1. Not the spectacle of the blue Clockwork Orange, but a good start nonetheless...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:00 pm 

0 - 0

Boring...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:03 am 

Geezer's a freak.

http://bit.ly/gzrs-busy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:01 pm 

Ah, nuts.... :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next