Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 691, 692, 693, 694, 695  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:37 am 

white noise - an electric storm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:13 am 

Zappa - 1963 Mount St. Mary's Concert

https://youtu.be/rwoTPS8gbJM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:45 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:00 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:50 pm 

Frank Zappa - The Palladium, NYC 10-31-81 (complete show)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:07 pm 

Teenage Witch - Eels

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:44 pm 

Brazil - Django Reinhardt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:56 pm 

Frank Zappa - Halloween ‘77, October 31, 1977, The Palladium, NYC

It was forty years ago today...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:30 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:35 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:35 pm 

This afternoon was War's

SAMPLES

And then...this was a new one for me and I'm happy to have it, it's deep and will go many plays :)
It plays like early doors, like the instrumental parts to the long versions of Light My Fire, and The End.
If you like those instrumentals, you'll probably like this album.
Unlike Doors, it's mainly all positive energy, relying on much more musical imagination (mostly instrumental), rather than Morrison flavored themes, lyrics, or plain old rock and roll.
And Ive heard of only one person who sounds like Ray Mazarek, it's good to hear him again...sometimes the passages show you what his contribution was to The Doors.

SAMPLES

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:22 pm 

Ten Years After- Cricklewood Green

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:27 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:54 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:55 pm 

just plain doug wrote:

Wuz cookin’ Douglas? :o

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:58 am 

If you like Industrial Metal, don't miss this, this is truly an event...and after 22 years, no less :)

Ever have one of those albums that the first time you heard it you went, Arghhh, gak, that's awful...and then it turned into one of your favorite albums, one that took a true daily pounding of plays?

Ever hear one of those bands that groundbreak their sound, and put out such great albums...and then they fold up and disappear after three fantastic albums, and you can't believe they were so underrated, and you can't believe they weren't as big as Helmet, or Nirvana, or whomever...

Well, Quicksand, IMO, is BOTH of those categories in spades.

I first heard them in the early 90's; I heard "Slip" first, it's fairly accessible and just plain wonderful, I played the shit out of it:

SAMPLES

So I played the shit out of Slip...and then they released the aptly named [because that's exactly what it is], "Manic Compression," lol, even the cover looks like the music...

SAMPLES

The first time I heard Manic Compression I was still playing the shit out of Slip, but I went Gak, that's an awful wall of noise...
...and then I played it again the next day, and the next day...
...and I started growing the engrams for it, I started hearing what was going on in it...more and more...until it turned into a favorite, and took a daily pounding of plays just like Slip, probably even more than Slip...I was into a good thing, under-rated or not.

And then they fell silent...geez, that's awful, no more Quicksand albums, and they were sooo good.

Later, Walter Schreifels surfaced with a more commercial band, Rival Schools. They were pretty good IMO, but they weren't living beyond the rules as Quicksand lived... Quicksand albums take a pounding, Rival Schools, well a few times a year per album seems to be where I turned out with them.

Then Mr. Schreifels came out with an amazing, much acoustic solo...wow, this talent is all over the map...Interesting, crashing Indy Metal beyond the critics, to this...

SAMPLES

But Quicksand was still gone...sigh...it was a good thing while it lasted....

And then this...wow, they're back, and with original lineup, after 22 years - happy days are here again...I'm going to buy this one (November 10 release), without even playing the samples, I know it's beyond good, so I want the first time to hear the songs to be the first time....

We're in Quicksand again! :D

SAMPLES

“It was all just about being ourselves and who we were as well as who we are,” says Schreifels of the making of Interiors. “We did it for us completely.”

So if you like indy metal, it doesn't get any better than this...and being woefully unsung from the early 90's, it might be a new find for you...enjoy :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:49 am 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:11 pm 

nice to see feets' fonts! :mrgreen:

Lumpy Money (Primordial), side ii [?: the instrumental mono]
Gypsy Airs
Foamy Soaky
Hunchy Punchy
Let's Eat Out
Tenn-Age Grand Finale

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:06 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:17 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:42 am 

lightnin' hopkins - the complete herald singles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:11 am 

One of the earlier hippie albums...it was about 1966. I didn't have enough money at 12 to buy any albums, but they had a copy of the ST album at the library. I remember I could take it for a week, but after a while they wouldn't let me renew it unless I brought it back and left it there for a week or two to "give somebody else a chance."

So it's crude, it's rude, but they got fresh batteries in their fuzz boxes and they were pretty tight...remember, this is 66, this shit was just getting invented :)

So here they are in super scratched out LP /mp3 form, if you like them, you'll have to pay cash money for a clean copy, each mp3 is one side of my album, (I found one at a record show years later-getting cutouts was tuff in those days).

Autosalvage, Side 1

Autosalvage, side 2

When I first heard Soundgarden, something in them reminded me of Autosalvage, but it may not be evident 'till you hear the whole album.

Sorry, cover damage from a circa 1974 flood, but the vinyl was still ok...

"Rehearsing in a shared Village loft with the Lovin’ Spoonful, the band’s first big gig was with the Mothers of Invention at the East Village club, the Balloon Farm.

It was Frank Zappa who suggested the name Autosalvage, the title of their raucous opening tune.

The band signed with RCA Records, home of friends, Youngbloods and Ian & Sylvia. However, the technical personnel didn’t really know how to deal with a band both unique and loud. So…given a free rein in one of the world’s first 8-track studio, they cut loose."

MORE HERE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:25 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
King Crimson
Live in Vancouver, BC, Canada
The Orpheum Theatre
Wednesday June 21, 1995

Audioarchivist U - 101 Analog Cassette Master Digitally ReMastered 2005 (v2.1) King Crimson 1995/06/21

Lineage: King Crimson live sound (v.0) > Row 18 seat 39 > Sony PC 62 mic in hat > Sony WM D3 dolby on > Denon MG-X 100 Metal Master Tape (v0.1 beta) > Denon DRM 500 dolby off > Sentrek EQ > Soundblaster Live 16bit/44.1mHz > wav > Wavelab 4.0a > Audioarchivist U - 101 Digital ReMaster (v2.0) > master CDR > EAC secure mode (EAC logs supplied) > wav (v2.1) > TLH > FLAC8 > torrent > YOU!

Notes: It was the first night of summer in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - June 21, 1995. We were hanging around The Orpheum all afternoon, walking around on Granville St., and in the back alley where the stage doors are. We met Pat Mastelotto on Granville St. We saw the whole band enter backstage, and met Trey Gunn. I went around the block and purchased the blank audio cassettes used for the show. We all ate and clilled and took it all in. The doors out front opened, and in we went.

I couldn't have asked for better seats to record from. I was dead center row 18 on the floor approximately 8 rows in front of the soundboard. My stereo mic was mounted inside an acoustically transparent hat. There was a slight breeze inside the venue (good ventilation required!) so there is some slight wind noise rumble picked up in the recording. I was in stealth mode for taping, and had a hard time setting up. I missed some of the opening act, California Guitar Trio, but did manage to record 90% of their set, mostly to get my record levels set. I was ready for Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Bill Bruford, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, and Trey Gunn to take the stage. I captured fair to great pseudo-binaural stereo of the whole show, and didn't miss a second of music (I think). The band was evidently having a good time - I think I saw RF smiling! I've so far only heard four other shows of six performed within a week of mine, and it's amazing to hear how the group reaches and the songs stretch in so many different directions nightly. There are many other recordings available around this time period. When you stretch so hard, once in a while you have to snap - check out d2t04 VROOOM at about 1:55 to 2:15! I think it sounds like someone or three slipped up! Wow.

This is the second attempt at ReMastering this recording that I've undertaken. The first try was done in 1998 (v1.0) using Cubase/Toast software on a MAC. I've lost those master CDR's but they are out in the ether (v1.1 ?), waiting to be found and rescued from the void. I think it was a better digital transfer on v1.0, with a good deck well tweaked, and most important with fresh unplayed tapes not yet so worn from further use, but unskilled processing and bad editing may have ruined their sound - I'm not sure anymore. I do remember that V1.0 was improperly tracked and had microgaps embedded in it. This edition V2.1 is a good digital transfer from the master (azimuth adjusted) but it has gone through a round of digital noise reduction that at the time I thought was slight, but upon listening recently I find that I was a bit heavier-handed than I now like. It is tracked fairly well, and has fades in and out for both discs. Sadly, only this one master audio CDR of v2.0 was burned. The raw data of v2.0 was deleted without archiving. I am calling the re-extraction from the one surviving copy and transfer to FLAC the new v2.1 version of my recording. KC 1995/06/21 v2.1 Disc one is 79:57.68 and disc two is 30:21.42 in length mm:ss.cd frames. Total recorded concert time is 110:19.35 on this release.

Recorded, Mixed, and Digitally ReMastered 2005 v2.1 by Audioarchivist U - 101 Made by a fan, given free to fans! Don't buy or sell this recording! Don't bother trying to Re-ReMaster this recording, it isn't worth it from this source. A fresh 24bit / 96 kHz transfer (or better) with a good tape deck direct from the masters one more time is what's needed to make v3.0 the definitive edition of this recording. Until that ultimate version is undertaken, this v2.1 will have to do. I ask that no money be exchanged for this recording as it is under any circumstances. I spent a well-documented $142.56 and countless other money on sundry items to get to and record this show. It was a long and expensive overnight trip. That's enough money spent- no more should change hands for it to get it in your personal collection right now. Don't buy this from a bootlegger! The band is really the only one that "owns" it - they played it first, and they should have the first slice - not the bootleg company. I wouldn't be able to refuse a donated recompense from the appropriate channels for my time and effort as a recording facilitator and mastering engineer for services rendered, though, could I? Tape deck rental? Walkman technician? Boom mic operator? Graphic design & layout? Honorarium? Wage? Salary? What? oh, sorry!

Included are some personally made coverartworx for this release, and some alternatives / source material used for artworx. There's an inside and outside booklet and a tray inside and outside that are color co-ordinated purple / green, plus some unaltered versions of my tickets, tapes, autographs, picks, and other memorabilia to work from. Enjoy your printable origami coverartworx masterpiece. If you make a version of cool photo-shop-ey artworx, I'd like to see them. Please email your results to my address listed at the end. Don't get a papercut! Ouch!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:40 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:31 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 691, 692, 693, 694, 695  Next