Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Joni Mitchell and FZ
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:38 am 

I heard once before that Joni joined zappa and co. on stage for a rendition of "Duke OF Earl". Does anybody happen to have this performance or does anybody else know of any other times their paths crossed? I bet Joni really dug Zappa's music and humor. I'm sure Zappa thought she was pretty as well. After all Charles Mingus himself handed his music to her for words and vocals. ???

Post subject: Re: Joni Mitchell and FZ
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:56 am 

Joni briefly dated a member of the Mothers, but for the life of me, I can't remember who.  I think it was Motorhead.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:02 am 

She got around thats for sure. ;) ;)

Post subject: re: joni mitchell and fz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:38 pm 

r_a_z_z wrote:
Joni briefly dated a member of the Mothers, but for the life of me, I can't remember who.  I think it was Motorhead.

motorhead brought her out to the west coast, then she hooked up with cal schenkel in the garrick theater days...

fz to joni, (nme, dec 5 '70) wrote:
look, we don't play any of your songs and you don't sing any of ours, so just make up some lyrics & we'll follow you... timid joni stepped up to the mike and sang 'penelope wants to fuck the sea....'  she did another song that sounded a bit like the duke of earl and we finished up doing that song...

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:46 pm 

wow. thanks for the info. you guys sure know a lot on this board. It's comforting to know that I can find out just about anything here. ;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:26 pm 

Ya know, Vinnie Colaiuta played on a couple of Joni Mitchell albums (Wild Things Run Fast/The one right after that one) and did a tour with her.  I saw the tour in Oklahoma City in the early 1980s.  <br><br>I went to the side of the stage and was screaming compliments at Vinnie until security ran me off.  Vinnie was a bit overweight at the time as I remember flab sagging from his arms!  It didn't stop the Vinnie machine tho.  Before security ran me off, I made eye contact with the bass player (Joni's husband at the time, Larry Klien (I think)), and he gave me a little sign of his thoughts of Vinnie:<br><br>He pantomymed playing drums and held up his index finger to indicate: "Number 1."<br><br>VCF<br><br>BTW: Solid Love from Wild Things Run Fast is a must have for Vinnieheads.

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:02 pm 

[quote author=VCF link=board=general;num=1059161914;start=0#5 date=07/25/03 at 19:26:18]Ya know, Vinnie Colaiuta played on a couple of Joni Mitchell albums (Wild Things Run Fast/The one right after that one) and did a tour with her.  I saw the tour in Oklahoma City in the early 1980s.  <br><br>I went to the side of the stage and was screaming compliments at Vinnie until security ran me off.  Vinnie was a bit overweight at the time as I remember flab sagging from his arms!  It didn't stop the Vinnie machine tho.  Before security ran me off, I made eye contact with the bass player (Joni's husband at the time, Larry Klien (I think)), and he gave me a little sign of his thoughts of Vinnie:<br><br>He pantomymed playing drums and held up his index finger to indicate: "Number 1."<br><br>VCF<br><br>BTW: Solid Love from Wild Things Run Fast is a must have for Vinnieheads.[/quote]<br><br>I saw that tour also, VC...sat about 15 rows back in the center...I can remember watching both Joni (standing center stage) and Vinnie, sitting directly behind her. I remember proudly telling whomever I was with that "the drummer used to play with Zappa". I enjoyed that show a lot, even tho it was outdoors and around 90 degrees with around 100% humidity...<br><br>Vinnie also plays on several tracks on "Night Ride Home" (1991)  one of my favorite JM albums.<br><br>Somewhere in my archives is an article where Frank spoke quite highly of JM, saying he liked her "melisma". <br>I'll try and dig it up.<br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:22 am 

Didn't jaco pastorious also play on one of her albums

Post subject: re: joni mitchell and fz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:50 am 

saint_alfonzo wrote:
Didn't jaco pastorious also play on one of her albums

he's on quite a few of her albums, gave her a certain legitimacy & signature sound

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:50 pm 

ahh - joni mitchell - i wish i was old enough for her. i liked blue and court & spark - did she need jacko to give her legitimicy ? i recon not. <br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:57 am 

I dont think Joni needed jaco,...but the sound that he brought with the fretless bass was exactly what she was looking for. That sound defentely made "Hejira" what it is. Also Jaco played up high on the neck which she liked cuz she always had problems with the way the bass sounded on some of her albums. :o ;D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:11 pm 

hurrah noomies - what makes me envy you is that you ARE old enough for her - i think. anyway, im not bitter bout that as kylie is equally desirable - sort of.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:26 pm 

Let's don't forget John Guerin, drummer and another of Joni's love interests who, along with Max Bennett played on Joni's Court and Spark and Miles of Aisles, both of which played on Zappa's Hot Rats <br><br><br><br>Who was/is Erroneous?<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:44 pm 

[quote author=appraiser link=board=general;num=1059161914;start=0#13 date=07/31/03 at 17:26:43]Let's don't forget John Guerin, drummer and another of Joni's love interests who, along with Max Bennett played on Joni's Court and Spark and Miles of Aisles, both of which played on Zappa's Hot Rats <br><br><br><br>Who was/is Erroneous?<br><br><br>Oh Snap! I didn't even realize those guys were on court and spark. I looked up Erroneous on Allmusic.com and there was not another name listed for him. ???<br><br> [/quote]<br>

Post subject: re: Joni Mitchell and FZ
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:28 pm 

[quote author=appraiser link=board=general;num=1059161914;start=0#13 date=07/31/03 at 17:26:43]Who was/is Erroneous?[/quote]<br><br>Image<br>   [sup]  aka: erroneous[/sup]<br>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:13 pm 

thanks for the real name....he played alot with Dunbar I can see.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:46 pm 

Thanks for the erroneous.<br><br>shoulda posted this under a new heading.<br><br>was he under contract and unable to use his real name?<br><br>  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:04 pm 

Why Joni Mitchell hated being neighbours with Frank Zappa

Joe Taysom·January 26, 2021
Far Out Magazine

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjulrvY7L3uAhXEHjQIHQx9D7YQxfQBCDMwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffaroutmagazine.co.uk%2Fjoni-mitchell-hated-frank-zappa-neighbours%2F&usg=AOvVaw0ZDholpHooQclUZ701V5VW

Frank Zappa and Joni Mitchell both helped make the world of music a brighter place with their art. Although their delectable sounds came from two different ends of the spectrum, they both made people feel raw emotions in a way that few others could. When the two acclaimed songwriters both lived in the Laurel Canyon in the late 1960s, it was one of the most exciting places to live in the world. It was full of artistic types living out their dreams, but Zappa’s lack of care towards his neighbours left Mitchell furious.

This place wasn’t just home to Mitchell and Zappa. Other creative sorts who lived out at Laurel Canyon included Neil Young, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, Chris Hillman, Roger McGuinn, J. D. Souther, and Judee Sill, the Mamas and the Papas, Carole King and The Eagles. The Canyon was the place to be for anyone involved in the arts and was living out their fantasy.

Anything was possible in the Laurel Canyon, and it was full of the wildest characters in the world of music, film and art, ushering in a new dawn of creativity that seemed like it could envelop anything in its way. Both with their musical output and their liberal, progressive attitude that was capturing the nation’s hearts and minds, those stars in Laurel Canyon shone brighter than most.

Joni Mitchell perfectly described Laurel Canyon to Vanity Fair in 2015. She told the publication: “When I first came out to L.A. [in 1968], my friend [photographer] Joel Bernstein found an old book in a flea market that said: Ask anyone in America where the craziest people live and they’ll tell you California. Ask anyone in California where the craziest people live and they’ll say Los Angeles.

“Ask anyone in Los Angeles where the craziest people live and they’ll tell you Hollywood. Ask anyone in Hollywood where the craziest people live and they’ll say Laurel Canyon. And ask anyone in Laurel Canyon where the craziest people live and they’ll say Lookout Mountain. So I bought a house on Lookout Mountain.”

In the same feature, Mitchell reminisced further about this time as did other key figures who helped make Laurel Canyon the place to be. The singer added: “Elliot (Roberts), David (Crosby), and I migrated from New York to Los Angeles. David was my agent; Elliot was my manager. I bought this little house, and David Crosby chided me for it; he said I should have looked around. But I liked that house.” The plot just so happened to be within earshot of Frank Zappa.

Whilst Mitchell liked the house, living near Frank Zappa was something that she didn’t hold adoration for, and her mother was even more bamboozled by the environment when she came to visit. “My dining room looked out over Frank Zappa’s duck pond,” Mitchell recalled. “Once when my mother was visiting, three naked girls were floating around on a raft in the pond.

“My mother was horrified by my neighbourhood. In the upper hills the Buffalo Springfield were playing, and in the afternoon there was just a cacophony of young bands rehearsing. At night it was quiet except for cats and mockingbirds. It had a smell of eucalyptus, and in the spring, which was the rainy season then, a lot of wildflowers would spring up. Laurel Canyon had a wonderful distinctive smell to it,” Mitchell added.

Mitchell’s recount of living nearby to Frank Zappa was how one would precisely imagine living next to a character as eclectic as he was would be. What you saw on-stage or in interviews was seemingly the same as how Zappa acted at home if Mitchell’s anecdote is anything to go off. Laurel Canyon was the place to be in 1968; it was full of wild characters living life on the edge and sights like three naked girls floating on a raft on Frank Zappa’s duck-pond were nothing out of the ordinary.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:39 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:56 am 

Naked girls on the pond seems alright to me.