Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: NO SMOKING
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:28 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
I used to dip Copenhagen. Does that count? Gave it up about 10 years ago.

I did too. It's been about eight years for me. Late in high school hardly anybody did it then a few of my friends started chewing and I jumped on the bandwagon. What a disgusting and unhealthy habit to do for almost 30 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:44 am 

one of my bosses (the main one) at work dips.
he also smokes cigarettes, but wait - just for the break and the "buzz".

pretty respectable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:02 am 

US plans to curb nicotine in tobacco

The new rules will affect e-cigarettes as well

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is seeking to limit nicotine content in tobacco products, for the first time in its history.

The policy announced on Friday has a goal of cutting back on nicotine levels in order to discourage addiction and lower the number of US smokers.

The FDA says tobacco is responsible for 480,000 American deaths each year, and $300bn (£228bn) in medical costs.

Stock market shares of tobacco plummeted after the plan was announced.

On the New York Stock Exchange, shares in Altria dropped by up to 17%, British American Tobacco's stock fell as much as 11%, and Philip Morris dropped by 7% before they all recovered some of their losses.

"The overwhelming amount of death and disease attributable to tobacco is caused by addiction to cigarettes - the only legal consumer product that, when used as intended, will kill half of all long-term users," FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said in a statement.

The goal, Mr Gottlieb added, is to "render cigarettes minimally addictive" by reducing the amount of the harmful and addictive chemical, which they say is the leading cause of preventable death in the US.

Tobacco companies, such as British American Tobacco (BAT), said the announcement will lead to innovation in the industry.

"Dr Gottlieb's comments regarding nicotine and menthol do not come as a surprise to us," said a BAT spokeswoman.

"We believe future success will require transformative, innovative products and changing the conversation about tobacco harm reduction," Joanne Walia told the BBC, adding that their American subsidiary Reynolds American Inc, will continue "the transformation of the tobacco industry".

The agency announced that they will also look into flavoured-tobacco, such as menthol, during this "public dialogue" period, ahead of a firm policy recommendation.

The policy will also apply to e-cigarettes, which are also known as tobacco vaporisers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:33 am 

KUIII wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
I used to dip Copenhagen. Does that count? Gave it up about 10 years ago.

I did too. It's been about eight years for me. Late in high school hardly anybody did it then a few of my friends started chewing and I jumped on the bandwagon. What a disgusting and unhealthy habit to do for almost 30 years.

Growing up, I had this neighbor two houses away named "Mr. Hooker" who was the first and only person I knew who would drink coffee while he had a wad of tobacco in his cheek. Yarrgh! Gutting fish on a hot summer day would be preferable to that combination. Dribble stains all down the front of his t-shirts. Made quite the impression at the parent/teacher conferences. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:27 pm 

Joe Heller

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:45 pm 

Wow has anyone proved any link with vaping and ill health?

This crazy crap about second hand smoke has people losing their minds, one Professor at UC Irvine a few years back had done a years long study fully intending to find a link between second hand smoke and illness and came to the conclusion that not only could he not find any, he had strong evidence that he couldn't find a link between most cancer and smoking (Lung Cancer odds increased considerably with smoking).

He wanted to publish and when his evidence and conclusions were reviewed he was told he would have to retract because his findings did not match the Universities position on smoking and they could lose grant funding, he declined and they removed him from the faculty and released him (he was tenured and this required a lot of effort).

It is extremely difficult (all but impossible) to find anything on this story, John & Ken a popular afternoon drive time team on AM Radio in LA covered this in depth for months (maybe longer), John & Ken avid anti-smokers themselves found the behavior of the University outrageous and intellectually dishonest even though they do not advocate for smoking.

This story was buried in a deep grave...it doesn't fit the desired module... :idea:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:33 pm 

Plook wrote:
Wow has anyone proved any link with vaping and ill health?
not only could he not find any, he had strong evidence that he couldn't find a link between most cancer and smoking (Lung Cancer odds increased considerably with smoking).

So you have these non-coding base pairs at the end of your chromosomes that act as caps to protect the coding dna, (10, 000 pairs at birth, for western dieters-6500 at 35, 4800 at 65).

The mechanism for replication does very well through the coding parts, but it can't quite get the last non-coding base pairs on the chromosome ends, so the protective caps shorten through replication in normal ageing. They are our life-fuse.

We can also do selective damage to cells in certain areas, like lungs with smoking, or sunburns to skin cells, that cause extra replications, shorting these caps (telomeres), faster than normal aging. (there can be direct damage to coding pairs too).

Funny things happen when telomeres start going below 4800 base pairs, one of these is cancer.

Apparently, in western diet countries the pecking order for premature damage is:

1. Endotoxins in meat & dairy
2. Smoking
3. Stress

In that order.

I used to think I could smoke Kool Milds 'till I was about 60, then quit before my immune system got weak.
I wish I hadn't done that.
(I quit at 38).

Probably hard to "prove" on vaping, large number studies would be needed to imply, but combustion produces an crapload of nasties.

Last edited by baddy on Fri May 04, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:36 pm 

Chemicals In E-Cigarette Flavors May Cause "Popcorn Lung"

Read Image http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me ... pcorn-lung

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16