Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: NO SMOKING
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:52 pm 

Image<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:41 am 

Make sure to check this out:<br><br><br><br>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4779694.stm<br><br><br><br> No smoke without fire<br><br>Not everyone with lung cancer is - or has been - a smoker. But some sufferers say people assume they have been - and warn that the stigma could be costing lives.<br><br>Image<br><br><br>Wednesday is No Smoking Day, which puts lung cancer back on the national agenda - briefly.<br><br>Viewed by most as the "smokers' disease" it is rarely in the headlines and definitely not a cause celebre like breast cancer, despite being the biggest cancer killer in the UK. To put it bluntly, it has a serious image problem.<br><br>One in 10 people who get it have never actually been smokers themselves or lived with smokers, according to Cancer Research UK. Dana Reeve, the wife of Superman actor Christopher Reeve, died of the illness on Tuesday despite being a non-smoker her whole life.<br><br>Prejudice<br><br>But people's assumptions that sufferers have been smokers has far reaching consequences, from the way sufferers are treated to funding for research.<br><br>On a personal level lung cancer patients are viewed as "only having themselves to blame" for getting the disease. And despite claiming the lives of more than 38,000 people every year - more than leukaemia, breast and prostate cancer combined - it receives just 4% of the national cancer research budget.<br><br>"You are judged in a way that you never would be if you had breast cancer," says 47-year-old Theresa Fletcher, a life-long non-smoker and lung cancer patient. <br><br>"The first thing I am ever asked when I tell people about my illness is if I smoke or ever have done. The inference is that they think people with the disease must have brought it on themselves. Fighting lung cancer is tough enough without having to deal with other people's prejudice about it."<br><br>And the assumptions don't just start outside the hospital, they are also made by other cancer patients.<br><br>"I have spent a lot of time in hospital waiting rooms over the last few years and other people always ask me if I have breast cancer," says Theresa.<br><br>"They just assume if you are a woman you won't have lung cancer, as it is seen as an old man's disease. But it's not, anyone can get it and not necessarily through smoking. People need to be educated so they don't make assumptions and realise they are at risk too."<br><br>The married mother of five was diagnosed in 2003. She had found a small lump on her neck but had none of the symptom commonly associated with the illness, such as coughing and breathlessness.<br><br>Assumptions<br><br>A biopsy confirmed it was lung cancer, leaving her devastated. Things got worse when in July 2004, a scan revealed the tumour had spread to her brain, but after treatment she is now in remission.<br><br>The reaction to Theresa's lung cancer is not unusual and the stigma that it is always caused by smoking is costing lives, says the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation (RCLCF).<br><br>Even if everyone gave up cigarettes today lung cancer would still exist as it is not exclusively caused by tobacco and its incubation period can be decades, says the charity's chief executive Mike Unger.<br><br>"The stigma surrounding lung cancer and smoking is doing huge damage and has serious consequence when it come to funding, research and saving people's lives," he says.<br><br>      <br>I really believe it helps to maintain a positive attitude throughout your treatment but that is hard when you know people think your illness is your own fault<br>Theresa Fletcher<br>"It receives just 4% of the total funding for cancer research in spite of killing 22% of cancer patients. When it comes to campaigning, we are the only lung cancer charity in the UK and we are always struggling to raise money. This is all costing lives. "<br><br>According to RCLCF, for every mortality from leukaemia £9,008 has been spent on the patient, for breast cancer it is £3,000, but for lung cancer it is just £117.<br><br>It has one of the lowest survival rates for any cancer because it is often not detected and treated early enough, but no national screening programme is planned while £72m is being spent on one for breast cancer. The government says it is following a trial of lung cancer screening in the US to see if it would actually save lives. <br>Theresa says while the media reports the debate about breast cancer patients wanting the drug Herceptin, there is no similar awareness of the access problems of the lung cancer drug she has been using, Tarceva. Some primary care trusts are refusing to approve the £1,500-a-month drug, though that is not widely reported.<br><br>The high profile of other cancers should not be changed, she says, but lung cancer should stand alongside them, both in terms of campaigning and funding. Only then will the stigma be tackled.<br><br>"No cancer is easy to deal with, whatever type you are unlucky enough to get, and surviving it is an achievement," she says.<br><br>"I really believe it helps to maintain a positive attitude throughout your treatment, but that is hard when you know people think your illness is your own fault. I used to get angry, but now I don't waste the energy." <br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:31 am 

Ignore List: downer mydnyte (paranoid nut-job)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:51 pm 

Doesn't work, sorry. I tried looking it up and got something in Japanese.
And tried to read it. Need to practice my Kana more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:30 am 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:49 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:57 pm 

About those E cigarettes: There is not one iota of evidence supporting that they help people quit smoking. Same addiction, new delivery system.

Poison control centers have had a jump in the number of mishaps reported from the highly
concentrated liquid nicotine being
consumed (by toddlers) or spilled onto the skin which ended up making the person feel really ill.

Sometimes these things get tossed out of the window of a car, get fractured and reveal the internal wires which from time to time end up producing a flat tire if you hit it just so. :|

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Sometimes these things get tossed out of the window of a car, get fractured and reveal the internal wires which from time to time end up producing a flat tire if you hit it just so. :|

So they're literally coffin/coughin' nails. I think it's been around nine ten years since that addiction had me in it's grip. Nasty habit that nicotine, whether it's in an E-cigarette or in a cancer stick. :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:42 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:06 pm 

RR: He used to be a nice boy, he used to be a Democrat! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:41 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Yeah. So did Jefferson Davis... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:32 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Yeah. So did Jefferson Davis... :roll:

Oh yeah? William Jefferson Clinton still is. It's a joke was all, don't get mad, vote! :P
Don't tell me you voted for him as our governor, you can't be that old MTF! :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:13 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:28 pm 

I used to dip Copenhagen. Does that count? Gave it up about 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:29 am 

Cigarettes or spark suspected in Taiwan water park fire

29 June 2015

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — Investigators in Taiwan were focusing Monday on the possibility that a cigarette butt or spark caused the blaze that burned more than 500 people at a weekend water park party when colored powder sprayed from the stage caught fire.

More than 400 people remained hospitalized, 200 in serious condition, city officials said. Taiwan's Central News Agency reported one death: a 20-year-old with burns to 90 percent of her body who was taken off life support with her family's consent.

Police recommended criminal charges against the organizer of Saturday's party, as well as two technicians, at the Formosa Fun Coast theme park in suburban Taipei.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/06/29/cigarettes-spark-taiwan-fire/29453331/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:05 am 

Still smoke....only go to bars in Pa. that allow it....don't smoke in the house though....don't want my kids predisposed like I was.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:11 am 

I believe that we do what we want to do.
If you want to smoke - you'll smoke.
If you don't want to smoke - you won't smoke.
There's not much anyone can say to cause someone to quit, if they don't want to quit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:56 pm 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Still smoke....only go to bars in Pa. that allow it....don't smoke in the house though....don't want my kids predisposed like I was.

Same here, never smoked in the house since 1983...I was an idiot I did not buy my first pack of smokes until I was 23 or 24 and was even a part time smoker until 21... :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:18 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
I believe that we do what we want to do.
If you want to smoke - you'll smoke.
If you don't want to smoke - you won't smoke.
There's not much anyone can say to cause someone to quit, if they don't want to quit.

I am afraid it is a little more complex. You may want but not be able to. You could argue that they don't really want then,but...

I see vaporizing and e-cigs as being very benign in comparison to crude combustion smoke. I hope some hard-science back it up, or arrive at whatever conclusions they can draw out of this debate, 'cause we are lagging in Brazil.

Post subject: NO SMOKING
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:34 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:57 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:06 pm 

I haven't smoked since 1987, when I quit cold turkey after trying everything else. I LOVE SMOKING! I would smoke in a heartbeat if it no longer created such health problems. Where the hell else can you get satisfaction every 15 minutes or so? That first one in the morning with coffee? Smoking and drinking? Whilest getting high (even tho I don't do that anymore)? Any ol' time o' day!!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:06 pm 

I've smoked a cigarrette once, and it's the worst and most awful shit I've ever tried in my whole life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next