Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: NO SMOKING
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:16 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=300#301 date=10/16/05 at 01:41:13]Smoker who promised to quit Nov. 1 dies in cigarette-linked fire<br><br>REDDING, Calif. - A 67-year-old woman who promised her sister she would give up cigarettes Nov. 1 has died in a fire that started when she fell asleep while smoking...[/quote]<br><br>she should never smoked in pojamas?<br> ::)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:52 am 

I LOVE that they outlawed smoking in clubs. I hate goin to them cause its so bad I cant breath. People usually say that I should be the one who's tolerant to the smoking...BULLSHIT. I should not have to be subjected to that filth. I dont want to be apart of thier habbit. Its not right that I should have to put up w\ the smoking YUK.  I play in clubs all the time w\ my band and I am usually sick by the time the night is over from all the smoke, it sucks. Not to forget that my ol lady has stage 4 lung cancer on top of that (she's never smoked either hmm wonder how she got it, she's only 31. :() she dont like goin to shows anymore cause of all the smoke, its already fucked her up beyond repair. So I love this new law!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:07 pm 

Alright, so I quit smoking.  I quit on October 17, 2005, but then I met a buddy in Chicago that weekend who smokes, so I bummed from him.  Then I quit again the following Monday.  I used the patch and had the gum in case of emergency. <br><br>I cheated a coupla times, then decided around Thanksgiving that I would stop using the patch and wouldn't cheat for a whole month.  I made it until around New Years Eve (33 days) without cheating and bummed a couple at a party. I had 5 or so before February 4 when I decided I'd go 2 months without cheating--I'm still in the midst of that one.<br><br>Yeah, who freakin cares?<br><br>I write only because you might be in the same boat as me: I smoked for 26 years and I ENJOYED it.  I quit because I was having chest pains on the left side; once they ruled out any heart troubles, I was shown an Xray of my lungs and I saw all these scars that looked like a lightening storm in my chest! I was told that the pain was a result of my lungs swelling (from smoking too much) and rubbing against my ribcage. I was coughing a lot too.<br><br>Like I said, I LIKE smoking and I MISS smoking at times, but I don't think about it nearly as much as I used to when I first quit.  I keep some nicotine gum around in case I start thinking about it too much.<br><br>Here are some thjings that are different as a nonsmoker:<br><br>I do not have any more energy than I used too; in fact, I sleep MORE without all those stimulants in my body.<br><br>Food doesn't taste any different to me, but like FZ, I can SMELL a bunch of stuff that I, THANKFULLY, could NOT smell before--like piss in an alley (god bless America) and SMOKERS. If someone who just smoked a cigarette gets in an elevator with me it smells like they just smoked a whole carton.<br><br>People are always asking me if I've been: swimming, skiiing, working in the yard, to a tanning salon.  (No, but apparently, I've got more "color" on my lily-white face.)<br><br>I gained about 15 pounds in the beginning and it's about 5 pounds now that I don't really need to lose cuz I'm generally skinny.  But when it was 15 pounds, I felt overweight.  My chick recommended YOGA as a way to lose the weight.  For weight loss purposes, I think I lost the 10 pounds by getting my diet under control (cupcakes made a GREAT substitute for Viceroys!), but the yoga has really helped me relax and reduce stress generally.  I now do yoga every morning, which is the closest thing to EXERCISE I've done since gym class 25 years ago.<br><br>Twenty-six years of LOVING smoking and I'm gonna beat it.  You can too. 8)<br><br>vcf

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:57 pm 

You know what VCF, I needed to hear that. Thanks.  ;D I have stopped smoking too, because of a situation with someone very close, that has frightened the life out of me. I, like you, always enjoyed it, liked the taste and didnt give a rats ass what anyone said to me about it. <br>I got to thinking (just like Columbo) what would I do, if I got to 40 and was told "Im sorry Ms Aspy, you have inoperable lung/brain/bone/head cancer you have 3 months to live". The mere thought made me shit my pants, and I imagined being in that situation and being filled with so much regret at having not stopped. Also, I'm petrified of losing my teeth, and I know it'll only be a matter of time before my gums start to receed and my teeth start to look like Shane McGowans.<br>I miss it, probably always will, but I have to say, it sure is nice to still be able to smell the shampoo on my hair the day after I've washed it, instead of stale cig smoke. <br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:06 pm 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=300#310 date=02/28/06 at 19:57:06]You know what VCF, I needed to hear that. Thanks.  ;D I have stopped smoking too, because of a situation with someone very close, that has frightened the life out of me. I, like you, always enjoyed it, liked the taste and didnt give a rats ass what anyone said to me about it. <br>I got to thinking (just like Columbo) what would I do, if I got to 40 and was told "Im sorry Ms Aspy, you have inoperable lung/brain/bone/head cancer you have 3 months to live". The mere thought made me shit my pants, and I imagined being in that situation and being filled with so much regret at having not stopped. Also, I'm petrified of losing my teeth, and I know it'll only be a matter of time before my gums start to receed and my teeth start to look like Shane McGowans.<br>I miss it, probably always will, but I have to say, it sure is nice to still be able to smell the shampoo on my hair the day after I've washed it, instead of stale cig smoke. <br><br>[/quote]<br>i'm thinking of quitting also, i don't actually like smoking and i hate the taste of them unless they're in joints...cigarettes on their own stink but i smoke like a chimney these days and i fucking hate it...nothing else to do though. I'm thinking of getting the patches but you can't put them in joints unfortunately. I'm not smoking nearly as much hash as i used to but the thought of giving it up altogether isn't a nice one. Reality sucks

Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:12 pm 

I have an internal dialogue with myself every day about quitting. But I never do a damn thing about it. I'm quite sick about doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:15 pm 

Scrutey, I did it without patches m'lad. Sounds all "new age" and shit but I actually read that Allan Carr book on giving up, and by lord it worked. It takes away the mental dependency on cigs, and helps you adjust without actually replacing nicotine with another substitute. I did it that way because I didn't like the idea of substituting cigs for something else. <br>Apparently those energy sweets help as well (Lucozade ones). If you feel like a smoke, suck on one of those bad boys and I guarantee, the craving goes. Either that or brush your teeth. Good luck if you do decide to give it a go.  ;D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:20 pm 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=300#310 date=02/28/06 at 19:57:06]You know what VCF, I needed to hear that. Thanks.  ;D I have stopped smoking too, because of a situation with someone very close, that has frightened the life out of me. I, like you, always enjoyed it, liked the taste and didnt give a rats ass what anyone said to me about it. <br>I got to thinking (just like Columbo) what would I do, if I got to 40 and was told "Im sorry Ms Aspy, you have inoperable lung/brain/bone/head cancer you have 3 months to live". The mere thought made me shit my pants, and I imagined being in that situation and being filled with so much regret at having not stopped. Also, I'm petrified of losing my teeth, and I know it'll only be a matter of time before my gums start to receed and my teeth start to look like Shane McGowans.<br>I miss it, probably always will, but I have to say, it sure is nice to still be able to smell the shampoo on my hair the day after I've washed it, instead of stale cig smoke. <br><br>[/quote]<br>I think the hardest part about quitting is being around friends who smoke. I can go months without smoking and not even missing it, but if I'm drinking with a friend who smokes, it's REALLY hard to not bum one off of him. On a regular basis though, I don't miss it smoking at all. <br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:38 pm 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=300#313 date=02/28/06 at 20:15:18]Scrutey, I did it without patches m'lad. Sounds all "new age" and shit but I actually read that Allan Carr book on giving up, and by lord it worked. It takes away the mental dependency on cigs, and helps you adjust without actually replacing nicotine with another substitute. I did it that way because I didn't like the idea of substituting cigs for something else. <br>Apparently those energy sweets help as well (Lucozade ones). If you feel like a smoke, suck on one of those bad boys and I guarantee, the craving goes. Either that or brush your teeth. Good luck if you do decide to give it a go.  ;D[/quote]<br><br><br>i think i'll ask the doc to give me valium instead of patches...i'd definitely give it a go then

Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:33 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=300#310 date=02/28/06 at 19:57:06]Also, I'm petrified of losing my teeth, and I know it'll only be a matter of time before my gums start to receed and my teeth start to look like Shane McGowans.[/quote]<br><br>Oops, I forgot about that part.  On March 15, I have to have my top FOUR FRONT TEETH removed. :o >:( :-[ :'(<br><br>I'm still dealing with how much uglier I'm gonna look with those 4 teeth missing.  Yeah, I'm getting some falsies, but I'm not sure what to expect from those with regard to talking and singing and such.  Am I gonna talk like Sylvester the cat now?  Are they gonna fall out when I'm singing or meeting with clients?  <br><br>Laughing about it helps ;D more than  :'(.<br><br>vthef<br>

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:30 pm 

[quote author=VCF link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=315#316 date=03/01/06 at 13:33:13]<br><br>Oops, I forgot about that part.  On March 15, I have to have my top FOUR FRONT TEETH removed. :o >:( :-[ :'(<br><br>I'm still dealing with how much uglier I'm gonna look with those 4 teeth missing.  Yeah, I'm getting some falsies, but I'm not sure what to expect from those with regard to talking and singing and such.  Am I gonna talk like Sylvester the cat now?  Are they gonna fall out when I'm singing or meeting with clients?  <br><br>Laughing about it helps ;D more than  :'(.<br><br>vthef<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Four teeth? You'll probably get a couple abutments and two pontics. And they should work fine with everything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:15 pm 

[quote author=VCF link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=315#316 date=03/01/06 at 13:33:13]<br><br>Oops, I forgot about that part.  On March 15, I have to have my top FOUR FRONT TEETH removed. :o >:( :-[ :'([/quote]<br>SHIT! Is that due to smoking or was it a combination of things?<br><br>
Quote:
 Am I gonna talk like Sylvester the cat now?  Are they gonna fall out when I'm singing or meeting with clients?  <br><br>Laughing about it helps ;D more than  :'(.<br><br>vthef<br>
<br><br>Hahahaha Sylvester! That made me laugh VCF. Cheers! <br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:16 pm 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=315#315 date=02/28/06 at 20:38:41]<br><br><br>i think i'll ask the doc to give me valium instead of patches...i'd definitely give it a go then[/quote]<br><br>Good on yer Scot. If the Doc gives you some vallium, will you post some to me please?  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:51 pm 

4 teeth! Small price to pay to look like a NHL player.<br>[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:16 pm 

100th post.   Teeth.  mmmmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:40 am 

I haven't spent any time near anyone who smokes for years - no friends do and the only family who do are ones hundreds of miles away I don't see from year to year. I don't go to pubs - there's only one in my village and it's full of teens and crappy music - go any further and you have to drive so can't drink - I'd rather stay at home.  So, in summary - I haven't been near anyone smoking for years.  Yesterday I spent about 5 hours in the company of someone who smoked several fags. It was his house, his life, none of my business, I thought.  When I left and got in my car I was nearly sick being enclosed in the small space with the stink off my hair and clothes.  Last night my eyes were stinging all night (still are), my skin is grey and dry, my hair still stinks (didn't have time to wash it as I don't use a drier and it takes hours naturally) my throat was sore, I still have a constricted feeling in my chest and I have been blowing bloody crusty snot out of my nose.  I DO NOT HAVE A COLD.  I have spent 5 hours in the company of someone smoking.  I never realised it would have such an effect, probably because I've never spent so long breathing CLEAN air before - I grew up with a smoker mother (who quit after needing a quad by-pass) and used to work in places where half my colleagues smoked so my own body was used to it. It was only the SMELL that bothered me.  If that's one afternoon of second-hand, what is it doing to you ACTUAL smokers (and (Scrutey in particular) to your babies)?<br><br>Personally I don't like the new law as, since I didn't go into the pubs anyway, it didn't affect me. Now it WILL affect me because everyone will be smoking outside in the street and I have no choice about walking down the street. It stinks just as bad walking behind a trail of smoke as sitting next to it but now there will be no escape. I guess it's better for the club/pub staff though and if it helps people give up then all the better.  Think of all the Zappa CDs you could buy with the cost of the fags!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:03 am 

[quote author=floss link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=315#322 date=03/02/06 at 04:40:28]Personally I don't like the new law as, since I didn't go into the pubs anyway, it didn't affect me. Now it WILL affect me because everyone will be smoking outside in the street and I have no choice about walking down the street. It stinks just as bad walking behind a trail of smoke as sitting next to it but now there will be no escape. I guess it's better for the club/pub staff though and if it helps people give up then all the better.  Think of all the Zappa CDs you could buy with the cost of the fags![/quote]<br>I've always thought the anti-smoking laws were ridiculous. I can't stand the idea of the city telling businesses what they can and can't do in their own establishments. However, I'm starting to hear some smokers take this "well, I might as well quit" attitude, which makes me think that this might actually end up being for the best in the long run. The means are kind of shitty, but I guess if it works, the end justifies it. I still think banning smoking in bars is ludicrous and really hypocritical though. If you don't like cigarette smoke, go poison your liver at home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:44 am 

Just a suggestion...<br><br>Why don't some of the forumers in this thread who want to quit, pick a day and all quit together...the buddy system.<br><br><br>(....lol, we can all laugh at the threads too for the first 3-4 days while yer gettin over the physical part of it:D )<br><br>Good luck, you all can make it. Though I sometimes would like a ciggarette, and overall wish it was OK to smoke, but I musta smoked at least 30 years so I was very into it, but the good of not smoking far outweighs the bad...by about 50 times.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next