Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: NO SMOKING
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:56 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=225#225 date=04/17/04 at 13:37:52]<br><br>OK, Wife, I know how you love to play Devil's Advocate, so I'm sure you'll appreciate someone else playing it for you!   :)[/quote]<br><br>Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?<br><br>
Quote:
<br>Many years ago, I heard of a study that determined that the cigarette butt, that is thrown out the window on to the highway, takes 7 years on average to biodegrade.
<br><br>I'm much too paranoid to believe in some study that was probably funded by RJ Reynold's or Philip Morris. Studies can always be skewed.<br><br>
Quote:
<br> I imagine that you have probably seen tv shows on landfills that show hotdogs thrown away 30 years ago, looking like they just came out of the package.  So, if it is strictly a matter of encouraging the biodegradation process, then the highway is more efficient.  Not to take the argument that ALL items should be thrown out the window, but while smoking cigarettes may be an unhealthy act, what is the negative effect of the butt itself on the environment?  I ask because I'm curious if you have knowledge whether the Everglades are suffering from contaminants or just look less pretty.  There is a big difference between an evironmental issue based on visual niceness and one based on toxicity, and I've never heard of cigarette butts being an environmental hazard.  (though they may well be anyway...)<br><br>
<br><br>Can't say I had the pleasure of viewing the 30 yr old hot dog....bummer. As far as the toxicity, I just don't know. I do know that things like plastic bags and plastic six pack rings can be very dangerous to animals like turtles in the ocean, because they think the bags are jellyfish and they choke to death when they try to eat them. They can also get their arms and heads stuck in the rings of the six pack holder. So, who knows, maybe freshwater turtles or tarpon or maybe even baby alligators could think the butts were a morsel and choke to death trying to gobble it up.<br><br>Another thing that is surely a danger, forest fires. On this beach we are surrounded by dried grasses and old trees. <br><br>I could go on..... and on, but my Everglades are calling.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:07 am 

[center]Image<br> :P[/center]<br>

Post subject: Re: NO SMOKING, FATSO!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:10 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=210#220 date=02/18/04 at 08:29:08]<br>And we can always expect the *SPAM* Giants to come to our aid with expensive new pills and patches. That's their "contribution" to the "Public Good". ("Be sure to ask your doctor about ______!"[they'll fill in that blank] will be heard and seen on Prime-Time TV.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Of course don't forget that many of the new pills and patches will be discoveres by research paid by taxpayer grants who will then give the discoveries to the *SPAM* companies for free, who will then sell them back to us.<br>...expensively, of course.<br><br>"That's what's th deal we're dealin in."

Post subject: Re: NO SMOKING, FATSO!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:22 am 

[quote author=imisshimbad link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=225#231 date=04/22/04 at 04:10:19]<br><br>Of course don't forget that many of the new pills and patches will be discoveres by research paid by taxpayer grants who will then give the discoveries to the *SPAM* companies for free, who will then sell them back to us.<br>...expensively, of course.<br><br>"That's what's th deal we're dealin in."[/quote]<br>now that governments are realising they really can't take as much tax from cigarettes and still maintain the moral high ground in relation to other drugs, publich health issues and so on, they've simply in collusion with big business decided to turn it to their advantage once again....after happily ignoring tobacco for so long and letting half the world become addicted to it, they now make all these addicts feel sub-human in the first place for getting addicted to this taxman's dream and polluting their fellow borthers and sisters with it.  Once they get us all feeling guilty enough they roll out the nicotine patches and chewing gum and great news all round, the tobacco companies are still making money and now the *SPAM* companies are making money as well, not only that, the patches are even fucking more expensive than cigarettes were....while all this is going on successive governments across the world are having a celebratory wank at just how they've pulled it off...after making billions from these addicts for years, they're now going to make even more money weaning them off the drug that was government sponsored for years, while taking all the credit into the bargain for improving the health of the nation....this is the truly disgusting thing about the whole saga :o

Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:20 pm 

Hey all, <br><br>          You know, I was smoking 3 pages ago, and have given up after 21/2 years. Have not had one in about 11/2 months. I feel good. Sometimes I really feel like havin one, but hold out. Its hard. But hey.  :-*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:44 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=225#235 date=04/26/04 at 04:15:05]<br>[center]...hmmm...my instincts tell me not to believe you...[/center][/quote] <br>a) Why?<br>b) Does it matter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:46 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=225#225 date=04/17/04 at 13:37:52]<br><br>OK, Wife, I know how you love to play Devil's Advocate, so I'm sure you'll appreciate someone else playing it for you!   :)<br>Many years ago, I heard of a study that determined that the cigarette butt, that is thrown out the window on to the highway, takes 7 years on average to biodegrade.  I imagine that you have probably seen tv shows on landfills that show hotdogs thrown away 30 years ago, looking like they just came out of the package.  So, if it is strictly a matter of encouraging the biodegradation process, then the highway is more efficient.  Not to take the argument that ALL items should be thrown out the window, but while smoking cigarettes may be an unhealthy act, what is the negative effect of the butt itself on the environment?  I ask because I'm curious if you have knowledge whether the Everglades are suffering from contaminants or just look less pretty.  There is a big difference between an evironmental issue based on visual niceness and one based on toxicity, and I've never heard of cigarette butts being an environmental hazard.  (though they may well be anyway...)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Heh, George Carlin had a good rant on littering.  He said something to the effect that he doesn't see how a plastic bag harms the environment.  The way he sees it, the plastic came from the earth, so in a way, it's going back to its home.  The worst it could do is form a new compound: earth plus plastic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:20 pm 

[quote author=ImSoCute link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=225#234 date=04/25/04 at 21:20:45]Hey all, <br><br>          You know, I was smoking 3 pages ago, and have given up after 21/2 years. Have not had one in about 11/2 months. I feel good. Sometimes I really feel like havin one, but hold out. Its hard. But hey.  :-* [/quote]<br><br> :) :) :) :D ;) :D :) ;D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:08 pm 

Image<br><br>So thats what those buttons are up there for!

Post subject: re: no smoking
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:38 pm 

[center]Image<br>Image<br>Image[/center]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:40 pm 

Smoking ban effective March 1, 2005 in Mpls, Mn. Soon to follow the rest of the state.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:45 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=0#4 date=03/11/03 at 21:00:28][center]<br>[font=showcard gothic]Second-hand smoke 'causes cancer'[/font]<br><br>Image[/center][/quote]<br>Now this post REALLY DOES explain alot JimmieD. If I had to pick out any militant do-gooder non smoker from this site it wouldve been you, and behold, here is the proof! You rude, sad old man. Cock.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:55 am 

[quote author=Gojira1975 link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=240#248 date=08/05/04 at 09:45:25]<br>Now this post REALLY DOES explain alot JimmieD. If I had to pick out any militant do-gooder non smoker from this site it wouldve been you, and behold, here is the proof! You rude, sad old man. Cock.[/quote]woah!!!  easy there killer.  Image<br>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:12 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=240#250 date=08/05/04 at 09:57:13][center]<br>[font=comic sans ms]Get yourself a cryin' towel,<br>the next time you're pickin' up a pack-a-smokes at the drug store.[/font]<br>Image<br> 8)[/center][/quote]<br>[center]whine-o's do not march. they smoke. [/center]<br>[center] 8)[/center]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next