Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: NO SMOKING
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:11 am 

I'm so crap, I started again.  :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:25 pm 

[quote author=aquabot link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=315#327 date=03/02/06 at 12:18:10]<br><br>Stop again. :) What went wrong ?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I will, no doubt about that. <br>I just caved in under the shitty pressure around me lately. I'll get there, just not a good time for me right now. I will not be beaten!  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:25 pm 

[quote author=Milton_Bradley link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=315#320 date=03/01/06 at 18:51:32]4 teeth! Small price to pay to look like a NHL player.<br>[center]Image[/center][/quote]<br><br>Unfortunately, you've gotta remove 2 more in front of this guy to be missing what I'm gonna be missing! ;D<br><br>Aspy, I don't know the exact role smoking played and what role genetics played.  My brother had a similar problem, but he also smoked.  He was my role model cuz he quit smoking filterless Camels after 20 somethin' years.<br><br>And like aquabot said, just stop again.  You aren't crap cuz you fell off the wagon.  Here, grab on; I'll give you a lift up . . .  8)<br><br>vthef<br><br>[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=315#328 date=03/02/06 at 14:25:32]<br><br>I will, no doubt about that. <br>I just caved in under the shitty pressure around me lately. I'll get there, just not a good time for me right now. I will not be beaten!  ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>No worries girl.  There's plentya room on the wagon when yer ready.

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:24 pm 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=315#326 date=03/02/06 at 12:11:58]I'm so crap, I started again.  :([/quote]<br><br>I wonder how many times I quit before it finally stuck. I guess 20 times would be a good guess, but it finally did stick. I think the time I quit before the one that stuck was the most useful relapse because every time I'd quit and then go back, I'd have to go through the physical withdrawel again, and it wasn't pretty, lol...I was a crazy man. Well, it was so uncomfortable that I finally remembered it well for the last time I quit, the thought was "you have another butt, you're going to have to go through that withdrawell again, and it aint worth it for one cigarette because in five minutes that one cigarette will be gone, and you'll be committed to three days of hell again....AND... ten minutes after that "one" cigarette is gone, you'll be right back here again wanting another.<br><br>I felt if I had to quit anyway, I might as well do it with the minimum amount of withdrawels.<br><br>You will make it Aspy, pick another day, enjoy your butts today, and make it only one more withdrawell between you and your freedom(:<br><br>Good luck :D<br>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:45 pm 

Awww thanks for all your support guys, it's encouraging. <br>I've set myself a date to stop, and the night before, I'm gonna throw my ashtray, lighter and any remaining cigs away. It's gonna be hard to bin the ashtray seeing as it's so funny hehe.. It's a little glass one with a pic of Jesus in the bottom and it says underneath, "Jesus is the light at the end of my cigarette". Hehehe. Maybe if I'd swapped it for this one, i'd have been successful in my previous attempts to stop smoking! Hehehehe.<br>Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:21 pm 

Picturegoer magazine, November 18, 1950<br>(from those glory days before the arrival of fascism and the total loss of free speech, human rights & the ability to do what the fuck you want to do with your own body...)<br><br>Image<br><br>Yes, folks - those were the days well before most of us were born, when they allowed poetry like that to appear in magazines...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:37 pm 

Ive been on and off and on and off and so on for a while.<br><br>Im going out for a smoke, brb.<br><br><br>I swear ima quit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:01 pm 

[quote author=Flatulus link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=330#333 date=03/02/06 at 17:21:44]Picturegoer magazine, November 18, 1950<br>(from those glory days before the arrival of fascism and the total loss of free speech, human rights & the ability to do what the fuck you want to do with your own body...)<br><br>Yes, folks - those were the days well before most of us were born, when they allowed poetry like that to appear in magazines...[/quote]<br><br>I remember seeing one similar and the caption was "For throats sake, smoke Craven "A". Hehehehe ;D<br>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:05 am 

Aspy 1st March:  You know what VCF, I needed to hear that. Thanks. I have stopped smoking too, because of a situation with someone very close, that has frightened the life out of me. I, like you, always enjoyed it, liked the taste and didnt give a rats ass what anyone said to me about it. <br>I got to thinking (just like Columbo) what would I do, if I got to 40 and was told "Im sorry Ms Aspy, you have inoperable lung/brain/bone/head cancer you have 3 months to live". The mere thought made me shit my pants, and I imagined being in that situation and being filled with so much regret at having not stopped. Also, I'm petrified of losing my teeth, and I know it'll only be a matter of time before my gums start to receed and my teeth start to look like Shane McGowans. <br>I miss it, probably always will, but I have to say, it sure is nice to still be able to smell the shampoo on my hair the day after I've washed it, instead of stale cig smoke.<br><br>Aspy 1st March:  Scrutey, I did it without patches m'lad. Sounds all "new age" and shit but I actually read that Allan Carr book on giving up, and by lord it worked. It takes away the mental dependency on cigs, and helps you adjust without actually replacing nicotine with another substitute. I did it that way because I didn't like the idea of substituting cigs for something else. <br>Apparently those energy sweets help as well (Lucozade ones). If you feel like a smoke, suck on one of those bad boys and I guarantee, the craving goes. Either that or brush your teeth. Good luck if you do decide to give it a go. <br><br>Floss 2nd March: I haven't spent any time near anyone who smokes for years - no friends do and the only family who do are ones hundreds of miles away I don't see from year to year. I don't go to pubs - there's only one in my village and it's full of teens and crappy music - go any further and you have to drive so can't drink - I'd rather stay at home. So, in summary - I haven't been near anyone smoking for years. Yesterday I spent about 5 hours in the company of someone who smoked several fags. It was his house, his life, none of my business, I thought. When I left and got in my car I was nearly sick being enclosed in the small space with the stink off my hair and clothes. Last night my eyes were stinging all night (still are), my skin is grey and dry, my hair still stinks (didn't have time to wash it as I don't use a drier and it takes hours naturally) my throat was sore, I still have a constricted feeling in my chest and I have been blowing bloody crusty snot out of my nose. I DO NOT HAVE A COLD. I have spent 5 hours in the company of someone smoking. I never realised it would have such an effect, probably because I've never spent so long breathing CLEAN air before - I grew up with a smoker mother (who quit after needing a quad by-pass) and used to work in places where half my colleagues smoked so my own body was used to it. It was only the SMELL that bothered me. If that's one afternoon of second-hand, what is it doing to you ACTUAL smokers (and (Scrutey in particular) to your babies)?<br><br>Aspy 2nd March:  I'm so crap, I started again. <br><br>Did I make it sound so attractive, Aspy? I STILL feel rough after Wednesday.  Remember the shampoo, and Shane ...<br>Image<br><br> ::)<br>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:36 pm 

My son told me recently that a friend of his gave up smoking very easily by using this method: He smoked a pack and a half of cigarettes the day before he decided to quit, flicking the ash into a pint mug and stubbing out each cigarette in it too. At the end of the day, he filled the mug with water and let it brew overnight. First thing next day, he sieved out the solids, poured the liquid into a clean glass and quaffed the lot in one go. He didn't feel too good, but he never smoked again either...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:38 am 

Thanks Floss. I appreciate the time you took to post that for me. It does hit home and if I keep those images in my head, I can't want to carry on can I? Ive stopped again today, and Im feeling fine so far.  ;D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:42 am 

[quote author=Flatulus link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=330#338 date=03/03/06 at 19:36:59]My son told me recently that a friend of his gave up smoking very easily by using this method: He smoked a pack and a half of cigarettes the day before he decided to quit, flicking the ash into a pint mug and stubbing out each cigarette in it too. At the end of the day, he filled the mug with water and let it brew overnight. First thing next day, he sieved out the solids, poured the liquid into a clean glass and quaffed the lot in one go. He didn't feel too good, but he never smoked again either...[/quote]<br><br>Bbbllleeeuurrrgghh! Must have taken some real guts and a damn strong stomach to do that!!! Someone told me to do that (but didnt tell me to swallow the end product), so I did. I got an old jar and emptied my ashtray into it for a few days, then added water and looked at it every day with the idea being, that I would look at it and think  "thats what its doing to the water, what the fuck is it doing to my insides?!" I ended up forgetting it was there till one day when my mum came round, spotted it and nearly vomited! Im pretty sure if i had ingested the contents though, it would have worked!!!  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:22 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=330#339 date=03/04/06 at 03:38:22]Thanks Floss. [/quote]<br>You're welcome.  Good luck Image Hope you make it this time.<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:44 am 

Here's another classic:<br><br>[img width=500 height=700]http://images.tobaccodocuments.org/snapshot_ti/w750r0/TOB00603.85.png?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftdo.roswellpark.org%2Fcgi%2Ftif2png.pl%3Ffn%3Dn%253A%252Ffilesets%252Fsnapshot_ti%255CPhase1%255CTOB00603.85[/img]<br><br>Yeah, I'm a smoker as well. I actually quit for more than a year, but I've taken up smoking again last year. Quitting sure is tough (at least to me).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:52 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=330#339 date=03/04/06 at 03:38:22]Thanks Floss. I appreciate the time you took to post that for me. It does hit home and if I keep those images in my head, I can't want to carry on can I? Ive stopped again today, and Im feeling fine so far.  ;D[/quote]<br><br>Great, Aspy!  Keep it up.  Don't wait until you have detrimental health effects that won't go away.  I have a friend who is quitting, I hope he will continue.  It is a vital thing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:48 am 

Good luck Aspy :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:28 am 

[quote author=Sabby link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=330#343 date=03/04/06 at 08:52:14]<br><br>Great, Aspy!  Keep it up.  Don't wait until you have detrimental health effects that won't go away.  I have a friend who is quitting, I hope he will continue.  It is a vital thing.[/quote]<br><br>Thanks so much sabs, Im so sorry for your friend. That is what frightens me, getting to a point where Im really ill and regretting not giving up when I could have made a massive difference to my health. ;D<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:28 am 

[quote author=timmoggio82 link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=330#330 date=03/02/06 at 14:31:48]<br><br>Nooooooooooooo!<br><br>you've done well so far, i'm sure it's just a blip..  :)[/quote]<br>Cheers Timmo, I'll get there eh?  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:29 am 

[quote author=baddy link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=330#344 date=03/04/06 at 09:48:03]Good luck Aspy :)[/quote]<br>Thanks Baddy, thanks everyone for all your encouragement, it really helps. Fresh smoke free Aspy kisses to you all! :-*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:42 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=general;num=1046955851;start=345#347 date=03/04/06 at 13:29:26]<br>Thanks Baddy, thanks everyone for all your encouragement, it really helps. Fresh smoke free Aspy kisses to you all! :-*[/quote]<br><br>Hey girl; welcome back on the wagon. 8)<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[sub]Do you have any smokes?[/sub] :o<br><br>Just kidding. :D<br><br>vcf<br>

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next